Music or Hung Up - which single had the biggest CULTURAL IMPACT?

Braby

Music or Hung Up - which single had the biggest CULTURAL IMPACT?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. ?

Music of course.

No youtube, internet era growing and was the time when music videos where an event on tv-

Exactly. I remember ALL MY SCHOOL talking about the music video back then. We even made a choreo for an special event. Music was HUGE without social media and Internet.

HUng Up is an incredible song, but it's unfair to compare with 6 years. Both singles are amazing tho.

Hung Up's airplay in the US really is a TRAVESTY. I wonder whether it would have substituted for Music in the Super Bowl if it had the same success that it had everywhere else in the world.

Here are some choice quotes from this VERY interesting article from Billboard in 2006.

In the United States, the three singles from Madonna's latest Warner Bros. album, "Confessions on a Dance Floor," have not been embraced by mainstream top 40 radio.

"Hung Up" got middling airplay, "Sorry" was barely played, and "Get Together" has been all but ignored by pop stations. Naturally, this state of affairs has left executives at her Warner Bros. label -- and more than a few fans -- wondering, what gives?

More than 3,300 fans have signed an appeal at petitiononline.com. :laugh: The "End the Madonna on U.S. Radio Boycott" petition is addressed to Clear Channel Communications CEO Mark P. Mays. Message boards at Entertainment Weekly and VH1, among others, are rife with everything from support for Madonna to conspiracy theories about why she can't crack the radio dial.

Warner Bros. was aware that the songs on "Confessions" could present challenges at mainstream top 40 radio, acknowledges Tom Biery, senior VP of promotions at Warner Bros. "Top 40 radio is so hip-hop-driven," he says. "We were coming in with a global pop star who made a dance record."

Madonna has had no such airplay problems internationally. For the week ending July 15, the album's third single, "Get Together," had a radio audience of fewer than 1 million listeners in the United States (aggregate, based on market size and station share). Conversely, in the United Kingdom, where all three singles have been A-listed by BBC Radio 1, :shock:(remember what this felt like UK peeps?) the single had 38.4 million listeners.

Except for dance radio outlets like KNGY San Francisco, KNRJ Phoenix and KNHC Seattle, Madonna is missing from the terrestrial radio landscape in the United States.

Hung Up's airplay in the US really is a TRAVESTY. I wonder whether it would have substituted for Music in the Super Bowl if it had the same success that it had everywhere else in the world.

Here are some choice quotes from this VERY interesting article from Billboard in 2006.

I remember that article! Such a shame. ALL the COADF singles were stellar and deserved to be heard. What really pisses me off is 2 yrs later Usher and practically everyone else under the sun were coming out with their very own GT rip offs. I know GT is indebted to many songs itself, but it was frustrating to see radio warmly embrace that sound after completely ignoring it when Madonna did it.

Re: HU @ Super Bowl, regardless of whether it were a massive US hit, Music still would've been the more appropriate choice thematically speaking. I know quite a few will disagree but the only other 00's song that would've made sense at the SB would've actually been 4M. Imagine that intro with a LIVE marching band, it's her latest big US hit and it has Justin Timberlake.......all of those elements would = a huge crowd pleasing moment.

Definitely Music. Hung up was fun and up-beat and had a great hook, but the sound wasn't pushing anything forward. Music on the other did sound like nothing else with it's sort of hard funk, acid house beat that so totally dominated the song (which in itself was daring) and made it what it is.

Plus, the Music video is one the few music videos I can watch over and over and not get tired of!

Warner Bros. was aware that the songs on "Confessions" could present challenges at mainstream top 40 radio, acknowledges Tom Biery, senior VP of promotions at Warner Bros. "Top 40 radio is so hip-hop-driven," he says. "We were coming in with a global pop star who made a dance record."

This is interesting and confirms what Stuart Price said about WB basically telling Madonna to make a more urban album after Confessions. Of course it backfired spectacularly with the abominable Hard Candy. What kind or record company would be disappointed with the success of COAD anyway? No wonder she dumped their asses.

Vocalism, if ur location was....HAMBURG or something instead of NY, you would be saying the complete opposite of that rubbish above. I mean, even the SAMPLE in Hung Up created more buzz and waves across the world than Music's tired Beth Orton-esqe folktronica :bad:

The results are in, the votes have been counted and verified, and the poll results do not lie. I'm HUNG UP!

:Disco_Ball:

You're right. And I conceded that. HU was huge in Europe. But I don't live in Hamburg. I live in New York fucking City. It's not like I live in Idaho. So I don't think it's "rubbish." I stand by what I said about "Music."

Maybe if HU had done better in the U.S. she would have played it at the SB, but not in place in "Music." Her tours play around the world and the attention she's given "Music" versus HU is pretty noticeable to me. Did she even play the full song during MDNA? I know she didn't perform "Music" at all, but that was the first time in over a decade.

You're right. And I conceded that. HU was huge in Europe. But I don't live in Hamburg. I live in New York fucking City. It's not like I live in Idaho. So I don't think it's "rubbish." I stand by what I said about "Music."

Maybe if HU had done better in the U.S. she would have played it at the SB, but not in place in "Music." Her tours play around the world and the attention she's given "Music" versus HU is pretty noticeable to me. Did she even play the full song during MDNA? I know she didn't perform "Music" at all, but that was the first time in over a decade.

Your hard-on for Music is most disconcerting, just a pity it's so much less culturally significant than Hung Up. I don't give a toss if you live in Ida-fucking-ho or not.

I remember those Superbowl audience vids with people asking "is this a new song" when Muzak started. It was muchly amusing.

Your hard-on for Music is most disconcerting, just a pity it's so much less culturally significant than Hung Up. I don't give a toss if you live in Ida-fucking-ho or not.

I remember those Superbowl audience vids with people asking "is this a new song" when Muzak started. It was muchly amusing.

And there is that part of the US population who thinks Madonnas last hit was Vogue. As far as they knew SB was the first time she had performed in 20 yrs. :)

And there is that part of the US population who thinks Madonnas last hit was Vogue. As far as they knew SB was the first time she had performed in 20 yrs. :)

This is true. In the US, many people know just about every single from holiday to vogue, but nothing afterwards. I would say with MJ & sometimes Prince, most of her eighties singles have been playing on the radio consistently for 25 to 30 years.

This is true. In the US, many people know just about every single from holiday to vogue, but nothing afterwards. I would say with MJ & sometimes Prince, most of her eighties singles have been playing on the radio consistently for 25 to 30 years.

Some people in general live in the past though and don't bother trying to listen to anything after a certain era. To their closed minds, Madonna is still the same woman from the 80's and some of the 90's. Ditto with the same closed way of thinking but with the opposite outcome - people who only like the latest music and love to dismiss and downplay earlier hits - thus looking down on Madonna from the 80's and early 90's.

Personally, I prefer Hung Up but still do appreciate Music.