Music or Hung Up - which single had the biggest CULTURAL IMPACT?

Braby

Music or Hung Up - which single had the biggest CULTURAL IMPACT?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. ?

But you were 4 when "Music" was released nullifying your opinion on the matter. :smug::D

I wasn't commenting on Music, I was commenting in response to the people that said Confessions and HU weren't a big deal in the States.

Radio is a big deal in determining cultural impact. I was basing my vote on how not many people i knew and in my area were aware of Hung Up, which is due to radio not spinning the song (again in my neck of the woods).

Yeah true, but I purposefully chose not to to really take radio play into consideration as I thought by specifying a cultural impact in the question, a distinction was being made between that and just being a flat-out popular song.

Certainly over here, the initial impact of Hung Up was bigger on radio and it's legacy continues as it still receives so much airplay. Whereas Music, while big at the time, is never really heard anymore.

Just bringing an Australian view into this question. To me, both were massive as number 1 hits here that everyone was talking about. Looks wise, Music bought the cowboy/girl image back in a huge way and Hung Up bought the leotard back. I remember a television and radio personality called Ruby Rose stating that with Hung Up, Madonna yet again started trends that influenced all of the other pop girls - ie leotards and dancing in studios in front of mirrors. :laugh: Plus, everyone was also back discovering Abba's song Gimme Gimme Gimme. People were even calling that song the ''one which Madonna promoted in Hung Up" :lol: Madonna and Abba - want an incredible combination.

Cultural impact? CLEARLY Hung Up - the retro sound, Abba, the leotard, the video, Stuart Price, radio play, being played in (not just gay) clubs. Madonna was completely revitalised by this song after AL.

Music is definitely the better song of course, but it just kind of came and went...culturally.

YEP, this.

Music had bigger impact. She made cowboys hats trendy, music was incredibly trendy too.

Hung Up was as massive as her 80s hits and even nowadays it's played. But it didn't create fashion, and the song wasn't especially groundbreaking.

If Music isn't remembered nowadays was because it was followed by other hits like Don't Tell Me, DAD or Hung Up. If Hung Up is still played in many countries is because there hasn't been a proper hit since then. 4 Minutes may have been massive in certain parts of the globe, but in other countries it was just another single that nobody remembers nowadays (not even Madonna, i'm sure she has forgotten about it, haha).

Definitely Hung Up, at least in Europe. I still believe Music benefitted from the great run of ROL singles and post ROL singles: all of them were amazing and Madonna was simply on top. There was a high expectation from her and whatever she released, it was pretty much guaranteed it would be a hit. Sure Music is a nice song, don't get me wrong, it had simple but universal message: but it aint as good as HU in my book (or simply I m not Mirwais biggest fan).

On the other hand HU came after a "flop" album when a lot of people have written her off for a 100 th time. But the song was that catchy yet sophisticated that everyone was hooked once again. Maybe because it felt like her, it was dance music, but done by a woman with experience. It was fun, yet authentic. And the album was as strong. It felt simply as her. I believe the COADF success pretty much guaranteed her success in touring post 2007.

Music was big in its time. And I wasn't a Madonna fan back then. I also think Music successfully retransitioned Madonna back from the serious electronic sound to the danceable electronic sound which is how she's looked at now.

If Music isn't remembered nowadays was because it was followed by other hits like Don't Tell Me, DAD or Hung Up. If Hung Up is still played in many countries is because there hasn't been a proper hit since then. 4 Minutes may have been massive in certain parts of the globe, but in other countries it was just another single that nobody remembers nowadays (not even Madonna, i'm sure she has forgotten about it, haha).

Wha? Even Don't Tell Me gets more plays on current radio than Music. 4 minutes was a massive global hit - fact.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the cultural impact of Music (except cowboy hats - which was more DTM's inluence tbh)

In Denmark, "Hung Up" was bigger than "Music" in terms of sales, though "Music" was the bigger radio hit and even won a Danish Music Award for International Hit of the Year.

Currently, though, "Hung Up" is played on Danish radio much more than "Music".

All I can say that as a 9 year old boy living in America who wasn't interested in Madonna at the time and had a very objective point of view, Confessions was BIG at the time and the image was very strong. That's what I remember very vividly.

WHAT?? I thought you were a 38-year-old pop has-been in 2000.

She chose 3 cultural hits to entertain at the Super Bowl

Vouge

MUSIC

Like a Prayet

To me , Hung Up would have been out of place.

+1

Yeah true, but I purposefully chose not to to really take radio play into consideration as I thought by specifying a cultural impact in the question, a distinction was being made between that and just being a flat-out popular song.

Certainly over here, the initial impact of Hung Up was bigger on radio and it's legacy continues as it still receives so much airplay. Whereas Music, while big at the time, is never really heard anymore.

Right. And "Music" still gets airplay in the U.S. You said in another post that cultural impact = people outside M's fanbase knowing the song. Well, who doesn't know "Music"? There's a reason she's performed it on almost every tour and at the SB. There hasn't been another song like it in M's catalogue since "Holiday." It's universally liked/recognized by fans and non-fans alike, appealing to dance fans as well as many urban/hip-hop fans because it has a funkier beat than your standard disco song, and it has a universal theme. It's a party song.

Wha? Even Don't Tell Me gets more plays on current radio than Music. 4 minutes was a massive global hit - fact.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the cultural impact of Music (except cowboy hats - which was more DTM's inluence tbh)

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain the cultural impact of HU. Because the leotard is iconic? But what about the SONG?

Vocalism, if ur location was....HAMBURG or something instead of NY, you would be saying the complete opposite of that rubbish above. I mean, even the SAMPLE in Hung Up created more buzz and waves across the world than Music's tired Beth Orton-esqe folktronica :bad:

The results are in, the votes have been counted and verified, and the poll results do not lie. I'm HUNG UP!

:Disco_Ball: