Madonna - Arioso [1999] (Demo Clip) + William Orbit Comments

CMoody

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Obviously the music he did with her DOES have a certain depth to it that not all her music has. But that doesn't neccesarily make it better.

How much meaning does Into The Groove or Hung Up have? Madonna's music is multi faceted and for Orbit to take credit for bringing out depth in her is inaccurate. Has he not heard the Like a Prayer album? Or the American Life album?

I think a lot of the depth of the songs Madonna (and Orbit and others) did on ROL was in large part due to Madonna's own input and vision at the time. Same for Music and AL, or even HC, etc. It depends on where her mind is at. I think for MDNA she was in a mix of anger and confusion, and a desire for some plain fun, which is pretty much what the album is for me. I have a feeling she's more focused this time and I'm sure we'll have an album that'll include depth. She doesn't need any specific person, songwriter or producer for that.

Guest Rachelle of London

They weren't criticising him for expressing an opinion, they were criticizing him for being a rude little turd to other forum users.

Was he? I didn't see.

He clearly wanted to produce a greta album for her again and his heart was in the right place:

http://www.hungertv.com/feature/interview-william-orbit/

This is how Orbit felt recently when asked about MDNA:

I would have also dropped three of the six tracks produced by the other guys, they were not good enough in my opinion; too puerile. As for the remaining three I would have suggested to put more depth and make them more special. I had the best team and other brilliant songs, this is why I am still a bit puzzled to these days but what’s done is done so I don’t ever give it a second thought.

Well, people may condemn Orbit, but he's fucking right! Some people think that it was all about rushing the album, but i think that Madonna wasn't confident enough to release a "deeper" album and that's why the three singles were the most radiofriendly-charttoppers of the bunch. And that's why it's so weird that an album with GMAYL has Falling Free on the same disc. And that's why some "weak" songs were included there.

I am sure that Madonna will find a way to mix chart-topper songs with quality this time. And i'm sure that Orbit will stop talking about MDNA soon, because let's face it, this is not 2012 anymore!

but what’s done is done so I don’t ever give it a second thought.

Then why doesn't he shut up about it? He clearly can't let it go.

And no...he's not always "right". His experience is his experience...fine. But he's not the only perspective involved on the project(s).

Sorry, I'm not putting Willy on a pedestal like the rest of y'all. I'll be the lone ranger out over here (anyone else who doesn't kiss his ass is welcome to join).

And no...he's not always "right". His experience is his experience...fine. But he's not the only perspective involved on the project(s).

Sorry, I'm not putting Willy on a pedestal like the rest of y'all. I'll be the lone ranger out over here (anyone else who doesn't kiss his ass is welcome to join).

Same here and also Zdarlight was NOT being rude at all. I know people love William Orbit and yes he is entitled to his views but all this stuff about going deep and him pointing out that he did not disagree with this is rather insulting. Madonna does not have to make "deep and meaningful" songs all of the time. Part of the absolute appeal of Madonna is her variety in music and she has always had fun feel good songs as well. I don't think GMAYL should have been the lead single but that is all in the past now. If Madonna was always going "deep" we would never have classics such as Into the Groove, Holiday, Cherish, Lucky Star, Music, Hung up etc. O'h well, William Orbit's comments are always going to create debate amongst Madonna fans. Such is life on a forum. :laugh:

Guest Rachelle of London

I agree.

Guest bluejean

Well, people may condemn Orbit, but he's fucking right! Some people think that it was all about rushing the album, but i think that Madonna wasn't confident enough to release a "deeper" album and that's why the three singles were the most radiofriendly-charttoppers of the bunch. And that's why it's so weird that an album with GMAYL has Falling Free on the same disc.

Since 'True Blue' Madonna has almost always done a mix of "deep" and "meaningless" on her albums.

Live To Tell and True Blue ON THE SAME ALBUM

Can't Stop and The Look of Love ON THE SAME ALBUM

Oh Father and Cherish ON THE SAME ALBUM

Something To Remember and Vogue ON THE SAME ALBUM

Sanctuary and Don't Stop ON THE SAME ALBUM

Gone and Amazing ON THE SAME ALBUM

Isaac and Hung Up ON THE SAME ALBUM

Voices and Candy Shop ON THE SAME ALBUM

Ray of Light was the first time she did an all "serious" album. And it was brilliant. But I think the problem was, not just for the fans but for Orbit himself when Madonna decided to work with Orbit again they expected a Ray of Light Part 2. She wanted to make a fun, light album from the start and she brought in Orbit to bring in some more serious songs to balance it out. If she wanted to make another Ray of Light she would have. But Madonna doesn't do sequels.

True, for good or bad, Madonna always says she doesn't want to repeat herself - so no ROL 2.0 for Billy Bubbles.

I don't think Orbit means any harm and I think it's just part of his slightly offkilter, socially awkward and filter free personality (or condition even) that he comes out with these things online. Regardless, it's always good to get an insider view of things once in a while. Even if we are going to forever hear that MDNA was "rushed" just because that was Orbit's view compared to what he witnessed during ROL's seemingly serene recording sessions.

Anyway, ROL doesn't even enter my head when I think of a deep mature Madonna album. Like a Prayer will always hold that mantle, Cherish or not.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Since 'True Blue' Madonna has almost always done a mix of "deep" and "meaningless" on her albums.

Live To Tell and True Blue ON THE SAME ALBUM

Can't Stop and The Look of Love ON THE SAME ALBUM

Oh Father and Cherish ON THE SAME ALBUM

Something To Remember and Vogue ON THE SAME ALBUM

Sanctuary and Don't Stop ON THE SAME ALBUM

Gone and Amazing ON THE SAME ALBUM

Isaac and Hung Up ON THE SAME ALBUM

Voices and Candy Shop ON THE SAME ALBUM

I don't actually consider those songs meaningless at all (except Don't stop which I am allergic to).

Guest bluejean

I don't actually consider those songs meaningless at all (except Don't stop which I am allergic to).

Hence the use of the inverted commas.

I find it pretty shocking (to not say stupid) for people to be throwing shade at Orbit for him saying he would have wanted more studio time with Madonna and he'd preferred to have better songs coming out of those sessions. Even if he was hired for help and that's it, how can I disagree on someone who claims he regrets he wasn't allowed to do a better job with her? Are we gonna say he's an asshole just because he disagrees on what happened with a Madonna album where he would have liked to work more deeply?

If i may say so, Arioso is a beautiful song, it's better then anything there is on MDNA.

And i can not understand why she didnt put it on the Music album, the song is mostly a piece of classical music on which Madonna sing vocals over. The Same Tori did on Night of Hunters.

It would have fit so good as a last song on the album, way better way to close the album then with American Pie.

Don't Stop should never exist. :rant: All the other songs, especially Cherish, had their moment and meaning amongst the others.