Till Death Do Us Part - Appreciation Thread

Vogue992

I'm sure a thread was made for this, but I'm listening to this song right now and I just LOVE it.

The vocals, the spoken parts after the chorus, the lyrics......everything, it's PERFECT to me.

My mom used to love that tune.. she would play it on repeat for hours.. and she wouldn't stop gushing over it after. i think all catholic people going through a divorce can relate to that song. It's so passionate and sincere.. Very simple words but the message eclipses centuries of catholic blindness..

The chorus is cheerful and sounds almost care free.. then the verses are giving you a different picture and the spoken parts are so dark and sound so sincere it was impossible not to think of her marriage with Sean Penn.

These days this song is not saying much but maybe back in the 80's it was ground breaking and rubbing people the wrong way..

Love this song, love the production, love the atmosphere. Perfect song.

I think the sentiment of the song still says plenty. These feelings never 'get old'.

"Till Death Do Us Part" is really the first song from LAP that really grabbed me. Such a beautiful, yet complex, song. One of my favorites!!!

Oddly enough, according to Madonna, Sean "loved" the song.

It's a Madonna classic. I was completely convinced that it was going to be the fourth single from LAP. I remember MTV Australia saying that they had the exclusive premiere of Madonna's new video (without mentioning the title) and I was fully expecting it to be for TDDUP. They didn't announce the title until a second before the video started and I was completely stunned to hear that it was for "Oh Father" (which my 16 year old self couldn't appreciate like my adult self always has). I absolutely love "Oh Father" now, but TDDUP has always been a very special song with its amazing contrasts. It's a brilliantly crafted song in every respect.

Oddly enough, according to Madonna, Sean "loved" the song.

It's a Madonna classic. I was completely convinced that it was going to be the fourth single from LAP. I remember MTV Australia saying that they had the exclusive premiere of Madonna's new video (without mentioning the title) and I was fully expecting it to be for TDDUP. They didn't announce the title until a second before the video started and I was completely stunned to hear that it was for "Oh Father" (which my 16 year old self couldn't appreciate like my adult self always has). I absolutely love "Oh Father" now, but TDDUP has always been a very special song with its amazing contrasts. It's a brilliantly crafted song in every respect.

I remember that I had no doubt that the third single would be Cherish but the fourth I really had no clue. When we got Dear Jessie in Europe I was like WTF. Plans for the fifth single Oh Father were canceled because Vogue was released and there was no time.

TDDUP is on of my favorites like all LAP songs. Its just perfect and I listen to it very often.

Still in my top 5 Madonna songs. The pace is perfect to describe a marriage that's crumbling at rapid speed. Would have made a terrific video, too, no doubt.

Carta- where did Madonna say that Sean loved the song? I don't recall it.

Always wished she'd performed this live. I wish she would do a slowed down, acoustic version & really change the music to match the lyrics. however also fully appreciate the contrast between the lyrics and the upbeat production.

Like everyone here, I think what makes this song so unique and special is the complete contrast between the lyrics and the music. To me, it has a deep meaning in that this is how Madonna herself chooses to live her life. She does not seek sympathy or play the victim. She puts on a brave and happy face while underneath there is all this hurt and pain that she is covering up.

Oh god I love this. Sad lyrics to a happy song. It's sort of a metaphor to being strong and trying to face the world with positivity even if we're sad or something has put us down. I will always love this song.

I LOVE that song, i always listen to it several times in a row when i listen to the LAP album :wow:

I do it too :rotfl::thumbsup:

Always wished she'd performed this live. I wish she would do a slowed down, acoustic version & really change the music to match the lyrics. however also fully appreciate the contrast between the lyrics and the upbeat production.

me too! a performance of this song would be epic.

Like everyone here, I think what makes this song so unique and special is the complete contrast between the lyrics and the music. To me, it has a deep meaning in that this is how Madonna herself chooses to live her life. She does not seek sympathy or play the victim. She puts on a brave and happy face while underneath there is all this hurt and pain that she is covering up.

I've always admired this. She's an ispiration. :clap:

yes agree with everyone, it's an uptempo song with a sad content, like Incredible on Hard Candy

Not to change the subject, but Incredible. i think is so underrated from hard candy. It's true there is some sadness in the lyrics. Like the Let's finish what we started part, But I just love how the melody and her vocal delivery changes. My favorite part is when the electric guitars blare in and she sings, but almost screams:

I remember when

You were my friend

You gave me life

You were the sun

You taught me things

I didn't run,)..

reminds me of her vocals on ray of light.

also I do remember before the Like a prayer album came out Till death do us part was the song the media was talking about. Much int he same way the media talked about gang bang before MDNA. And let's face it Gang Bang is 2012's version of TDTUP

Still in my top 5 Madonna songs. The pace is perfect to describe a marriage that's crumbling at rapid speed. Would have made a terrific video, too, no doubt.

Carta- where did Madonna say that Sean loved the song? I don't recall it.

In the Rolling Stone interview from 1989.

Has Sean heard the song?

Yes. And he loves it, strangely enough [laugh]. But Sean is very, very keen on being brutally frank in his work. He's attracted to writers and artists who don't mince words.

Magnificent song that only Madonna could pull off. The marriage/divorce to Sean really inspired her for years to come. A tumultuous love affair, but I think artistically, they really complimented one another.

It would have been great if she performed this on the BA Tour. I can understand why it was never a single due to the content, but it really would've made a fantastic video.

One of my all-time favourite Madonna songs! It's definitely one of the stronger songs from Like a Prayer and I personally think it could've been a great single with a great video and while I love the video for Cherish I always considered this song to be much stronger and single-worthy than Cherish or Dear Jessie.