Working on a repackaging/revision of GHV2

MPowered

Guest bluejean

Yes! I mean, KP did that boring performance and people were jumping on her for that, as if it were the first japanese-inspired performance. Everyone nowadays seems to be just beyond stupid and retarded. :lmao:

What performance was that?

Some of Madonna's "controversies" have been equally as ridiculous. Like Hindus taking offense to the 1998 VMA performance.

And that thing about the Drowned World music video being insensitive to Princess Diana because it has scenes of Madonna being chased by the paparazzi.

Guest bluejean

Cherish is amazing and you all know it.

Keep it Together is amazing too but it wasn't as big of a hit. Cherish was monster.

I think they should have canned the whole release.

The Second Coming would have been great in 2009 2004 as a companion to The Re-Invention Tour The Immaculate Collection.

This Used To Be My Playground

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

I'll Remember

Secret

Take a Bow

Human Nature

Bedtime Story

You'll See

Drowned World/Substitute For Love

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Frozen

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

American Pie

Music

Don't tell Me

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Die Another Day

Hollywood

Nobody Knows Me - a new mix

Hung Up

Sorry

4 Minutes

Celebration

Revolver

Packaged with a new version of TIC featuring Who's That Girl. + a new version of STR featuring Bad Girl, You Must Love Me and The Power of Goodbye (minus the I Want You instrumental version).

Erotica and American Life are bookends of that phase of her career. Then the next Greatest Hits would start with Hung Up.

It's an amzing artwork... 1000000 better than the original.

I notice that in the last 2 pages you put pictures only from the erotica era. Was that on purpuse.

I like how you have a page devoted to the Erotica era. Were you going to do a page like that for each era? I think it's a good idea. :)

I also LOVE the red/pink color scheme. It's beautiful! :inlove:

:inlove: Thanks, buddy.

It's an amzing artwork... 1000000 better than the original.

I notice that in the last 2 pages you put pictures only from the erotica era. Was that on purpuse.

Yup, that was on purpose. I'm a control freak and I want a GH compilation to be a sort of retrospective, at least in terms of imagery. And I hated that there was no chronological order in the collage, as well as 80's pictures of Madonna being mixed in, when this should've focused on her 90's tracks ONLY! I'm gonna make a collage page for each era.

It looks awesome! My only suggestion would be to get rid of the Dan Cadan liner notes and replace them with something new. I've never found it funny - it seems like the sophomoric humor of Guy's mates.

Ugh, me too! I'd love to have an article about each era to be featured as liner notes. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything like that. Any suggestions?

i love the artwork and the colors! gorgeous!

Thank you so much! I chose red, because I wanted it to be complimentary to the Immaculate Collection. :blush:

Awesome artowrk !

:smooch: Thank you!

What a beautiful idea to have Paradise as single for the compilation and imaginery for the packaging. Beautiful!

Thanks, karbatal! I think Paradise and the whole geisha thing was the perfect imagery of 90's Madonna. Sensual, spiritual & mature.

Great artwork! I loved the original cover, but hated the back cover. They should have just used another DWT promo pic.

One thing I really liked about GHV2 was DW/SFL being included on the tracklist. I would remove DCFMA and add it instead.

I had it on the tracklist for quite a while, but I think since this album is already quite ballad-heavy I wanted to have more energetic and more memorable songs. I personally think that NRM is much more remembered among Madonna fans than DW/SFL. They're both great tracks nevertheless, but NRM also serves a better transition from BS to Paradise.

Yeah, I think NRM should have been on GHV2. It wasn't a hit, but Bedtime Story & Human Nature weren't either. Also, having Paradise as a single for the compilation is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Did Mirwais mix GHV2? I haven't heard that before, but this reviewer alluded to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHV2#Critical_reception

Robert Christgau said that "she gleans goodies from the overrated Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light, mixes in the glorious soundtrack-only "Beautiful Stranger" and the dismal soundtrack-only "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," and hands it all over to Mirwais for sonic tweaking I'm not interested enough to pin down", while calling it as "an essential package."

Ugh, me too! I'd love to have an article about each era to be featured as liner notes. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything like that. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I can't think of anything like that either. I've included a write up for the whole decade I just made below. I didn't account for the length or number of characters of the original, so it may not format well. Just so you know, I wrote about the songs and albums in chronological order because it fits the biography format better. Of course, this is just a rough draft, so please feel free to add any corrections or revisions you think would make it better. Let me know what you think!

If the 80’s were a non-stop, roaring period of success for Madonna, then the 90’s contained some of her greatest challenges but also much of her most artistically rich and important work yet. The decade arguably kicked off with the provocative Sex book, accompanied by the naughty song “Erotica” featuring the alluring alter-ego Dita, igniting a reactionary furor among the media and conservative right the likes of which have never been seen before or after. Unfortunately, the commotion over the book obscured the wonderful album Erotica (1992), including gems such as the house anthem “Deeper and Deeper”, the euphoric ode to love of “Rain”, and the poignant ballad “Bad Girl”. If Erotica was about sex, then Bedtime Stories (1994) was about love, featuring soft, sultry songs created with top R&B collaborators like Dallas Austin and Babyface. The mysterious “Secret” showed a new side of Madonna’s music, while the grand “Take A Bow” featured one of the most cinematically breathtaking music videos ever made. “Human Nature” was a direct comeback to Madonna’s critics and a mission statement of her life’s work - express yourself, don’t repress yourself. Meanwhile, the hypnotic “Bedtime Story” foreshadows the groundbreaking electronic music she would make later in the decade. The touching “You’ll See” is one of the finest of Madonna’s shamefully overlooked ballads, featured in depth on the dedicated compilation Something To Remember (1995). The middle part of the decade would bring one of her biggest artistic risks yet - starring in the film adaptation of Evita (1996), Andrew Lloyd Webber’s broadway musical about the tragic life of Argentinian icon Eva Peron. The triumphant “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” is a testament to Madonna’s tour-de-force performance and showcases her strengthened vocal range from vocal training for the movie. At the same time, motherhood and a new outlook on life would inspire her to create the electronica masterpiece Ray of Light (1998), presenting a totally new Madonna to the world. The album features the haunting, soaring ballad “Frozen” and the exuberant, dance floor ready “Ray of Light”, as well as other highlights like the introspective ballad “The Power of Goodbye” and the pulsing, electrifying “Nothing Really Matters”. This compilation also includes the supremely joyful soundtrack single “Beautiful Stranger”, originally created for the comedy film Austin Powers. Fueled by the success of Ray of Light, Madonna next created the even more experimental, dance-oriented Music (2000), starting off with the smash hit “Music” which reaffirmed her unrivaled ability to create unstoppable dance anthems. The album also featured the trippy, defiant “Don’t Tell Me” and the thought-provoking feminist ballad “What It Feels Like For A Girl”, which included a controversial music video directed by new husband and film director Guy Ritchie. GHV2 ends with the new single “Paradise (Not For Me)”, unlike anything else in Madonna’s catalog and an indicator of a totally new musical direction. The song’s Asian-inspired video takes the viewer into a mysterious, absorbing exotic world and reaffirms her status as the greatest audiovisual artist of her time. More than 18 years into her career, Madonna is still creating fascinating, innovative songs and videos and we hope that you, like us, can’t wait to see what she does next.

Hmm, I can't think of anything like that either. I've included a write up for the whole decade I just made below. I didn't account for the length or number of characters of the original, so it may not format well. Just so you know, I wrote about the songs and albums in chronological order because it fits the biography format better. Of course, this is just a rough draft, so please feel free to add any corrections or revisions you think would make it better. Let me know what you think!

If the 80s were a non-stop, roaring period of success for Madonna, then the 90s contained some of her greatest challenges but also much of her most artistically rich and important work yet. The decade arguably kicked off with the provocative Sex book, accompanied by the naughty song Erotica featuring the alluring alter-ego Dita, igniting a reactionary furor among the media and conservative right the likes of which have never been seen before or after. Unfortunately, the commotion over the book obscured the wonderful album Erotica (1992), including gems such as the house anthem Deeper and Deeper, the euphoric ode to love of Rain, and the poignant ballad Bad Girl. If Erotica was about sex, then Bedtime Stories (1994) was about love, featuring soft, sultry songs created with top R&B collaborators like Dallas Austin and Babyface. The mysterious Secret showed a new side of Madonnas music, while the grand Take A Bow featured one of the most cinematically breathtaking music videos ever made. Human Nature was a direct comeback to Madonnas critics and a mission statement of her lifes work - express yourself, dont repress yourself. Meanwhile, the hypnotic Bedtime Story foreshadows the groundbreaking electronic music she would make later in the decade. The touching Youll See is one of the finest of Madonnas shamefully overlooked ballads, featured in depth on the dedicated compilation Something To Remember (1995). The middle part of the decade would bring one of her biggest artistic risks yet - starring in the film adaptation of Evita (1996), Andrew Lloyd Webbers broadway musical about the tragic life of Argentinian icon Eva Peron. The triumphant Dont Cry For Me Argentina is a testament to Madonnas tour-de-force performance and showcases her strengthened vocal range from vocal training for the movie. At the same time, motherhood and a new outlook on life would inspire her to create the electronica masterpiece Ray of Light (1998), presenting a totally new Madonna to the world. The album features the haunting, soaring ballad Frozen and the exuberant, dance floor ready Ray of Light, as well as other highlights like the introspective ballad The Power of Goodbye and the pulsing, electrifying Nothing Really Matters. This compilation also includes the supremely joyful soundtrack single Beautiful Stranger, originally created for the comedy film Austin Powers. Fueled by the success of Ray of Light, Madonna next created the even more experimental, dance-oriented Music (2000), starting off with the smash hit Music which reaffirmed her unrivaled ability to create unstoppable dance anthems. The album also featured the trippy, defiant Dont Tell Me and the thought-provoking feminist ballad What It Feels Like For A Girl, which included a controversial music video directed by new husband and film director Guy Ritchie. GHV2 ends with the new single Paradise (Not For Me), unlike anything else in Madonnas catalog and an indicator of a totally new musical direction. The songs Asian-inspired video takes the viewer into a mysterious, absorbing exotic world and reaffirms her status as the greatest audiovisual artist of her time. More than 18 years into her career, Madonna is still creating fascinating, innovative songs and videos and we hope that you, like us, cant wait to see what she does next.

This is fucking AMAZING!!! Wow...I'd probably make it a little longer and mix it with some other articles and reviews for the albums/songs. Other than that it's absolutely perfect and exactly what I was looking for!

Erotica and American Life are bookends of that phase of her career. Then the next Greatest Hits would start with Hung Up.

Erm, no. 2001 was the perfect time for a GH set. "Ray of Light" and "Music" albums were critical darlings that returned her to 80s-level sales figures, singles from 1998-2001 saturated radio, she was being showered in awards, and her return to the stage was motherfucking E-V-E-N-T. She was front page of every damn paper and magazine in the world. Releasing a GH set was the perfect capstone to that era.

Also -- while I agree with fan criticism of the tracklist (shit edits, no new track, etc.) -- I've never been sure why "GHV2" got the hate it did for the artwork. I think the artwork is perfect.

FWIW, I'd have ordered the tracklist to be a more logical extension of "Immaculate." (I also preferred the much-rumored title "The Second Coming.")

1. This Used to be my Playground
  2. Erotica
  3. Deeper and Deeper
  4. Rain
  5. I'll Remember
  6. Secret
  7. Take a Bow
  8. You'll See
  9. Don't Cry for me Argentina (Miami Mix Edit)
  10. Frozen
  11. Ray of Light
  12. The Power of Goodbye
  13. Beautiful Stranger
  14. American Pie
  15. Music
  16. Don't Tell Me
  17. New Track