WHEN were the terms "Queen of Pop" and "Madge" first used?

Braby

Madonna hates being called "Madge". In Copenhagen during the MDNA Tour, there was a guy in the GT madly waving a "Madge" sign around. Madonna saw it, pointed at him and said words to the effect of, "Don't call me that! I HATE that name!" The guy obviously didn't hear her or didn't understand what she was saying, because he started waving the sign around even more frantically, and Madonna then said, "Get rid of that sign! I HATE that name!" The people around the guy quickly dragged the sign down.

Clearly, the association with "majesty" didn't last very long! :)

Madonna hates being called "Madge". In Copenhagen during the MDNA Tour, there was a guy in the GT madly waving a "Madge" sign around. Madonna saw it, pointed at him and said words to the effect of, "Don't call me that! I HATE that name!" The guy obviously didn't hear her or didn't understand what she was saying, because he started waving the sign around even more frantically, and Madonna then said, "Get rid of that sign! I HATE that name!" The people around the guy quickly dragged the sign down.

Clearly, the association with "majesty" didn't last very long! :)

Yes, she does hate being called Madge. She also said that to David Letterman.

Whenever I hear the name Madge, I remember Dame Edna's hilarious neighbour Madge Allsop. She used to sit there and never smile. Plus of course Madge from Neighbours.

The name Madge does not suit Madonna at all :noway:

Here is Madge Allsop and Dane Edna. They are so funny.

I'm gonna have to have a nosey through my old cuttings to see what I can find about all of this.

Never thought too much about it before - but I remember laughing to myself when Madonna said on Letterman that she liked "Madge" cos someone told her it was short for "Your Majesty".

This term had definitely been around for years in Smash Hits and Majesty never figured in their sense of humour. :-)

That's what I remember.

The Queen of Pop.

Guest Pud Whacker

:clap:

"And no dialogue. We didn't need dialogue, we had faces"

She didn't demand MTV call her that. She was called that all on her own.

I don't get why many of you are picking on MJ like it was only his demands on MTV which made the "King Of Pop" moniker popular. Before he did that, it was already spreading among fans who liked the title and started calling him that way, printed T-shirts with it etc. , so it's safe to say sooner or later the media and the general public would have caught up on that title anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this on YouTube - someone has collected loads of clippings from the LAV/Susan era. Surprised to see "Madge" used here circa 1985! Seems the term pre-dates Smash Hits by a few years. :ohmy: Interesting!

Untitledm.jpg

As the fonts suggest, that's a latter-day clipping that uses an altered image from DSS. Rosanna Arquette's face has been covered with someone elses (presumably the person who wrote the brief article.)

It's next to a Q Magazine clipping about "Into The Groove" from 1999.

:rotfl:

Shit, you caught me! :1251:

It's true, I'm not a Madonna fan, after all I've only been registered here for 3 years and written more than 3000 posts :1251:

:laugh: I'm telling you, mention 'Michael Jackson' in Madonna fandom, and the claws come out. :laugh: