Is Messiah going to be the first single? Will it have a "Frozen" effect?

Guest gang bang

I actually really, really enjoyed reading that article. I even read it slowly so I could take it all in and live in the moment, being the first article to mark the beginning of the new era and all. I'm surprised some are being so negative as this is so exciting. As a fan I'm easy pleased, if I like something I don't then change my mind if it fails to become a hit and start trashing it like a lot of fans here do. I enjoy Madonna and I get a lot of happiness from her work, whether it's successful or iconic or not. If this article is true then I like the fact that Interscope are going into this era with their eyes open and with intentions to market it properly and I'm even more impressed that they have taken note of the mistakes of some of her peers with their images and latest work. As I said before, I don't care if the new record sells millions or not but a toned down Madonna sounds very refreshing to me as a fan. I'd like to see her come back with a classy and mature image, a little along the lines of what she explored with ROL where she did the goth thing or Drowned World where she showed that she can still be cutting edge and get everyone's attention and be covered up at the same time. Even on the MDNA Tour, almost every costume had her covered up and she still looked amazing. Madonna doesn't need to push the envelope anymore in terms of still being sexy in her 50's, she's made her point now, time to move on. It's going to be a very interesting era, I can't wait for it to get started and something along the lines of 1986, Live to Tell, soundtrack single to kick things off followed by a proper mid tempo lead single then album sounds great.

If this is all turns out to be rumours and bullshit, no probs, I will still enjoy the era but if it turns out to be true then right on Madonna!

Bring it on!

Guest whatatramp

so you're an expert?

I know I'm her audience and I'm under 20, she doesn't have a set demographic.. she isn't Belinda Carlisle.

She's going to the make the music she wants and the people that want to buy her album and go to her concerts will.

It would be refreshing not to have a typical dance song as the lead single.

I would like the first song to be representative of album's sound and concept (assuming it is a cohesive, concept album) rather than being the most commercial 'radio friendly' tune that you know radio won't touch anyway just because it's by a certain woman of a certain age.

I agree, but I think a good first single would be something that wasn't typical dance but still had the potential to be remixed into a club track so it has flexible appeal to different audiences. So maybe a mid tempo rather than a ballad.

so do you that that there are more Madonna fans under the age of 20 than over the age of 30?

I love that she has young fans and you and others on here are a testament to her being able to captivate younger audiences but when it comes to a serious marketing plan for the album, singles, videos, tour...she has to take her core audience into consideration. people can fight all they want about who is Madonna's core audience or who could 'come back into the fold' but Interscope and Madonna's team have their version and I doubt it involves teens/early 20's...she's done the young image thing since 2008, some will argue since 2005 but its time for a fierce sophisticated and mature sound/image again...I was a major fan as a teen during ROL/music, which IMO, are a perfect example of how fine a line she balanced freshness with maturity. I don't think she has to sing Girls Gone Wild with grills on to reach younger people, younger audience are going to discover her and fall for her just like we all did, no matter what.

Guest whatatramp

I don't think she has to sing Girls Gone Wild with grills on to reach younger people, younger audience are going to discover her and fall for her just like we all did, no matter what.

swear I just said basically the same thing

She's going to the make the music she wants and the people that want to buy her album and go to her concerts will.

I would argue that "singing GGW with grills on to reach younger people" will achieve the exact opposite. There are plenty of younger people who appreciate the work of older artists. I know I did at that age. But if they appear to be trying too hard, it doesn't work. Young people don't want to be "talked down to" so to speak. In fact, whenever I do meet younger people who are casual fans, it's ROL and LAP or sometimes Erotica that they cite as what they like.

swear I just said basically the same thing

but you were disagreeing with my notion that her audience (defined by marketers) in context of promoting new album, doesn't include people under 20...right?

I honestly think the MDNA singles proved dance-Madonna needs a bit of a rest. Unless any of the Diplo/Avicci tracks has hit written all over it (i.e. Music or Hung up level), a good midtempo or a ballad might do the trick and generate good early buzz on the project.

Excited for Messiah!!

4M and GMAYL (which are really the only songs the general public has been exposed to in the last 10 years, at least in the U.S.) were hardly "dance-Madonna." They were both uptempo, but either of them had a 4/4 beat or were really calls to the dance floor in any way.

I would love a midtempo ballad of some kind, but I don't think a straight-up ballad would do very well at all or generate very much buzz.

I would love a midtempo ballad of some kind, but I don't think a straight-up ballad would do very well at all or generate very much buzz.

Depends on what you mean by ballad. I think a slower song with electronic elements like Frozen could do well, but not a more traditional AC/MOR acoustic guitar or piano based ballad.

so do you that that there are more Madonna fans under the age of 20 than over the age of 30?

I love that she has young fans and you and others on here are a testament to her being able to captivate younger audiences but when it comes to a serious marketing plan for the album, singles, videos, tour...she has to take her core audience into consideration. people can fight all they want about who is Madonna's core audience or who could 'come back into the fold' but Interscope and Madonna's team have their version and I doubt it involves teens/early 20's...she's done the young image thing since 2008, some will argue since 2005 but its time for a fierce sophisticated and mature sound/image again...I was a major fan as a teen during ROL/music, which IMO, are a perfect example of how fine a line she balanced freshness with maturity. I don't think she has to sing Girls Gone Wild with grills on to reach younger people, younger audience are going to discover her and fall for her just like we all did, no matter what.

Boring. Can't stand when all fans wanna talk about is the best way to sell the Madonna product. Who gives a fuck?

Guest whatatramp

I would argue that "singing GGW with grills on to reach younger people" will achieve the exact opposite. There are plenty of younger people who appreciate the work of older artists. I know I did at that age. But if they appear to be trying too hard, it doesn't work. Young people don't want to be "talked down to" so to speak. In fact, whenever I do meet younger people who are casual fans, it's ROL and LAP or sometimes Erotica that they cite as what they like.

+1

but you were disagreeing with my notion that her audience (defined by marketers) in context of promoting new album, doesn't include people under 20...right?

I never think about that, promo is promo, she isn't one direction there isn't going to be madonna pencil cases in tesco, so how is she going to be targeting an age group? I don't understand

The only thing she can do is make good music and promote that music

I think the whole age thing is kind of a silly and irrelevant discussion. It's not true that people over 30 or even 40 only like ballads or AC type of music. Most older fans grew up with Madonna's early music which was uptempo, fun and dance oriented like her debut so they tend to like that sort of thing maybe more than your average older person. So I think most fans regardless of age would like a few ballads, but not a whole album, and still want some uptempo dance music that can get you moving. Not all people over 40 just sit home in their lounge chair listening to slow MOR ballads, especially not ones who consider themselves Madonna fans.

exactly. thats the point of the main article we've been discussing. Interscope knows how well MDNA/Hard Candy did and the stradgey behind them. I dont even know what MDNA's stradegy was but it seems by the sound of the music, featured artists and videos...that she was trying to keep it 'hip'...

whether its true or not, people think she's trying to be young and pander...thats the impression some people have.

its also fair to mention Mariah and Jlo when figuring out what to do with Madonna...which is only good for Madonna because she can avoid their mistakes.

Madonna isn't invincible anymore. some of us dont give a crap either way but some of us want her to do well...and I think she does too.

Boring. Can't stand when all fans wanna talk about is the best way to sell the Madonna product. Who gives a fuck?

I give a fuck. lots of members in this forum give a fuck. you probably give a fuck but you have to be a bitch to get attention.

I think the whole age thing is kind of a silly and irrelevant discussion. It's not true that people over 30 or even 40 only like ballads or AC type of music. Most older fans grew up with Madonna's early music which was uptempo, fun and dance oriented like her debut so they tend to like that sort of thing maybe more than your average older person. So I think most fans regardless of age would like a few ballads, but not a whole album, and still want some uptempo dance music that can get you moving. Not all people over 40 just sit home in their lounge chair listening to slow MOR ballads, especially not ones who consider themselves Madonna fans.

its not about ballads...its about music Rhianna or or Selena gomez would sing. shes above that shit sound.

Guest whatatramp

exactly it's not about age at all!

my mum brought Hard Candy and MDNA, she's 46

has Azealia's 1991 - EP on her iPhone, along with Yeezus and Ed Sheeran's Latest

such an irrelevant discussion! :newspaper:

Guest whatatramp

I give a fuck. lots of members in this forum give a fuck. you probably give a fuck but you have to be a bitch to get attention.

praying for u

exactly it's not about age at all!

my mum brought Hard Candy and MDNA, she's 46

has Azealia's 1991 - EP on her iPhone, along with Yeezus and Ed Sheeran's Latest

such an irrelevant discussion! :newspaper:

its like talking to a wall. that's what i get from trying to discuss things children don't understand.

Guest whatatramp

I'm positive I replied to sane forum member Glindathegood, so you can carry on posting irrelevant photos in every thread now

I'm positive I replied to sane forum member Glindathegood, so you can carry on posting irrelevant photos in every thread now

you can go back to praying for me...and thinking of me... :asian:

Madonnas fanbase is massively diverse.

She's STILL got the fans from her "hayday", when she started and new fans as she continues to make music.

I'd say the "last" time she made an album that go the "attention" of casuals or non-fans was COADF.

Hung Up was massive, it filled dancefloors all over the world, and suddenly people who ordinarily wouldn't ever consider a Madonna song were singing and dancing to her....again!

I think Hard Candy had a much lower "wide-appeal" and MDNA even less, most people didn't wen know she had a new record in the shops...

But as far as "age" goes, he crosses barriers most don't, because of her incredible back-catalogue.....that's why the Immaulate Collextion carried on sellin AND charting 20years after it was released.....she has the same legendary appeal of the "greats" like Jackson and the Beatles, that's a legacy the "modern pop tarts" like Perry and Gaga can only ever dream of.

But she IS still capable IF the Music's "good" enough of scoring a popular hit with the young generation, the iTunes generation....

She penetrated that market anyways with Hung Up and 4minites which both sold millions digitally....a market obviously dominated by the "younger" market.

I have high faith that this time round the "promo" will be addressed, but with someone like Madonna, the best way to promote is to go out and be seen and heard, that's how she sold 250million albums in the first place!

...I get attention everywhere every day. Madonna singled out my work and gushed. I'm self confident and have beautiful people around me. I don't need tactics to gain attention. The world is at my feet awaiting me to steal forward. I enjoy Madonna for her body of work and couldn't give a shit about record sales and chart positions. THAT my friend is CHILD'S PLAY.

its like talking to a wall. that's what i get from trying to discuss things children don't understand.

Actually he's a very smart young man who is still growing and learning. You could probably learn a thing or two from that.

Madonnas fanbase is massively diverse.

She's STILL got the fans from her "hayday", when she started and new fans as she continues to make music.

I'd say the "last" time she made an album that go the "attention" of casuals or non-fans was COADF.

Hung Up was massive, it filled dancefloors all over the world, and suddenly people who ordinarily wouldn't ever consider a Madonna song were singing and dancing to her....again!

I think Hard Candy had a much lower "wide-appeal" and MDNA even less, most people didn't wen know she had a new record in the shops...

But as far as "age" goes, he crosses barriers most don't, because of her incredible back-catalogue.....that's why the Immaulate Collextion carried on sellin AND charting 20years after it was released.....she has the same legendary appeal of the "greats" like Jackson and the Beatles, that's a legacy the "modern pop tarts" like Perry and Gaga can only ever dream of.

But she IS still capable IF the Music's "good" enough of scoring a popular hit with the young generation, the iTunes generation....

She penetrated that market anyways with Hung Up and 4minites which both sold millions digitally....a market obviously dominated by the "younger" market.

I have high faith that this time round the "promo" will be addressed, but with someone like Madonna, the best way to promote is to go out and be seen and heard, that's how she sold 250million albums in the first place!

i agree. when i see her live, i feel EVERYONE is a fan...old...young..in between...straight/gay...she does appeal to many people. the question tho is madonna's current persona, look and sound have always evolved and changed...i think there is a vaild question of whether or not she should do that now. and im not talking about dying her hair but more a long the lines of not pandering musically ...COADF was perfect because it blended the right sounds at the right time...it was refreshing...thats what Madonna needs.

i agree. when i see her live, i feel EVERYONE is a fan...old...young..in between...straight/gay...she does appeal to many people. the question tho is madonna's current persona, look and sound have always evolved and changed...i think there is a vaild question of whether or not she should do that now. and im not talking about dying her hair but more a long the lines of not pandering musically ...COADF was perfect because it blended the right sounds at the right time...it was refreshing...thats what Madonna needs.

Maybe you should write to Guy Oseary and see if the marketing/PR team have any spaces for an intern.

...I get attention everywhere every day. Madonna singled out my work and gushed. I'm self confident and have beautiful people around me. I don't need tactics to gain attention. The world is at my feet awaiting me to steal forward. I enjoy Madonna for her body of work and couldn't give a shit about record sales and chart positions. THAT my friend is CHILD'S PLAY.

Actually he's a very smart young man who is still growing and learning. You could probably learn a thing or two from that.

the entire point of the discussion was regarding the article that discusses these things. the fact that you and some kid think it is an irrelevant topic is dismissing Madonna herself. shes a business woman and this stuff does matter.

I think that COADF is seen by so many fans and critics alike as an "essential" Madonna album mainly because of when she put it out.

She needed a commercial and critical high after American Life, and she went "back" to the dance floor to get it!

As far as her current image/place on music my BIGGEST issue is that since 2003 she seems to be too obsessed with appearing as youthful as possible when it comes to her "general" release.

Yes, on tour we still get the mature "arty" side of her, but that's been lacking in favour of "commercial cheese" and chasing the trends!

MDNA for the most part was like mid-life crisis....her speedied up voice singing about turning radios up and being a bad girl....she can do so much better....

The quality hasn't been there, the maturity, mystery and enduring power of her songs hasn't been present....and I'm not JUST talking about ROL and LAP.

Even her "upbeat" songs havnt matched....GMAYL was no Music or Ray of Light.

Following artforfreedom it seems he's intreated in doing what rolling stone declared in 1989 (and my favourite quote about her music)

"As close as art gets to music"

I'm really pleased to see Measiah, although she's working with Deejays...again, her mind is back on exploring issues, and that's when she's made the best songs/videos/performances.

Maybe you should write to Guy Oseary and see if the marketing/PR team have any spaces for an intern.

I have a Bachelors in Marketing, i don't intern anymore. They should HIRE me.