Ba ba da ba ba ba, what can I do?
Ba ba da ba ba ba, I go straight to you
Ba ba da ba ba ba, I've been told
You're to have, not to hold

To break my heart

This song I feel often gets overlooked coming after the one-two punch of the beautiful ballads Frozen and The Power of Goodbye but it is also a stunning song. I find its seductive melody to be almost hypnotic. As with much of the ROL album, her vocal delivery is perfect - so warm and intoxicating , like a warm wave washing over you. The lyrics are also pretty interesting except I wish she would have chosen a line other than "like a moth to a flame" which in addition to being a cliche, was also featured heavily in Janet Jackson's "That's the Way Love Goes" earlier in the decade. But no matter, as the song is still gorgeous and a testament to her magical partnership with Pat Leonard and William Orbit who produced the track. Anyone else especially love the ending with her humming and the whispered "only I am to blame?" Gives me chills!

What do you think of this song? Is it "to have" or "not to hold" for you?

It's not a particularly standout track for me, but I do appreciate its smooth, almost spiritual tone that really cements its place in Ray of Light. I wouldn't really seek to play that song specifically when I'm listening to music, but I do like when it comes on.

I love this song! Always have, it's one of my favorites from ROL.

Question. Does anyone remember what does she whisper in the background? I remember it was explained in the Madonna Rising special, but can't remember what she said!

I think it's fairly overrated, but I reckon that it's a good song. Never really cared much for it, but it has grown on me over the years. Very good production and I love the eerieness of the song. My favourite part is the little Shanti/Ashtangi sample somewhere near the end of the song. I think it could've PERFECTLY as an interlude if there had ever been a Ray of Light Tour.

Guest Rachelle of London

This is the song of life! It even caused the most drama in the elimination thread :lmao:

It's STUNNING!!!!!

Love it! My favourite part is the "like a month to a flame, only I'm to blame" part, the music kinda gets higher pitched at that point for a short time, don't really know how to describe it, but that's a lovely moment! Wish it would be a bit longer.

But yep, great song overall too. Not as great as Skin or Sky Fits Heaven as far as non-single album tracks go, but those songs are absolute crown jewels anyway. This one's a small jewel! :lol::thumbsup:

didnt this track steal 'Has to Be''s spot on the album? this song is still great though very madonna with a slight latin flare to it...would have been nice in the latin section of DWT

My fave song from Madonna! Love it! Love the demo! Love the lyrics! Love it all

Does anyone have a link to the demo version? I'm not sure if I've heard it and I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

It's also one of my faves on ROL. I like it more than Power of Goodbye to be honest. I know it's probably not single material but I totally get lost in it, especially the last minute is gorgeous...kind of like a surreal painting and you just get lost in it. Has To Be should have followed it on the album instead of Little Star IMO.

https://m.soundcloud.com/madonnagr/to-have-and-not-to-hold

Used to be palates all over YouTube but has been removed

Thanks a million chellehighness! I was looking for it on you tube! I think I may have heard it a long time ago but can't remember. Will listen when I get out of work . Thanks again :smooch:

One of my favorites off ROL my first thought was that I also prefer it to POG.

It has a moody, downbeat vibe similar to a lot of the BS album, only I didn't really like a lot of those songs when I do this one for some reason.

I tend to strongly prefer the songs on ROL that Pat was NOT involved with for some reason, but that's a whole different topic.