A Couple of Months-Old Articles About This Year's Grammys

pasqual

pha! its hilarious...i adore anti madonna comments hahahahaha

http://blogs.indiewire.com/bent/10-reasons-to-feel-uneasy-about-macklemores-grammy-performance-20140127

10 Reasons You Should Feel Uneasy About Macklemore, Madonna & Queen Latifah's Mass Grammy Wedding

Features by Matthew Hammett Knott
January 27, 2014

In case you're somehow unaware of the epic Grammy performance last night in which 33 straight and gay couples got married on stage as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis sang "Same Love" (and Queen Latifah and Madonna joined in), you can click here to watch it. Once you have, here's 10 reasons you should definitely feel uneasy.

1. Straight artists leading the agenda on gay issues

Straight allies are essential to gay causes. And as a male feminist, I can empathize. But there is a fine line to tread, and all privileged people with platforms, but especially straight white men such as Macklemore, should surely understand that there are some circumstances where there is value in raising other voices above their own - in this case, identifiably queer ones. Instead, we got...

2. Silencing the voices that really matter
The whole idea of marriage is that it is a public declaration of private love. And I understand how it could be powerful, in theory, to see this declaration made by gay couples on a vast public stage. But in this instance, the couples were treated as decoration and their declarations of love entirely unheard. In favour of Macklemore.
3. Limited screen time for the couples getting married
I'm not saying I wanted to get to know the personal history and star sign of each and every one. But it was bizarre how little we saw of the supposed focus of the song. If you're going to pull this shit, you could have the courtesy to launch a thousand glitter-coated homosexuals into the night sky. Let them on stage at least! As it was, there were times when this looked less like a public celebration of gay love and more like a badly organized line dancing rehearsal.
4. Madonna's history of commodifying minorities
If you haven't read bell hooks on Madonna and black culture, then do. Sadly, Madonna's approach to gay culture is hardly unrelated. Sure, she has also given a lot of gay people a great deal of enjoyment and support. But when the end game is, as it ever was, the Madonna brand, a healthy dose of suspicion is valid.
5. Macklemore's self-centred approach to gay rights
As has already been widely noted, rather a lot of his ode to same-sex love centres on his own travails as a straight man suffering from gender and sexuality stereotypes. Which is not an unworthy subject in theory. Just in his ill-conceived rendition.
6. The retrograde lyrics of the chorus
"I can't change, even if I try". What about trying to move the conversation on? I'd like to think that by successfully focusing the agenda on gay marriage, we'd progressed from even entertaining the idea of whether homosexuality is something that can be changed or cured. But apparently Macklemore hasn't.
7. Queen Latifah's views on sexuality as public property

I'm not here to dictate what Queen Latifah should or shouldn't say in public about herself or anyone else's sexuality, and I respect her refusal to discuss her own just as much as she clearly respects other people's right to celebrate theirs. And it's not like I'd prefer her to simply stay quiet on the matter of gay rights. This just seems a rather thorny way to wade into a discussion she has long avoided, and one that risks confusing or distracting from whatever message such a stunt aimed to promote.

8. The general warped agenda

If Macklemore, Madonna and Queen Latifah had wanted to make a powerful, public pro-gay statement, and had sat down and consulted the people they aimed to represent, I am fairly sure they would not have come up with this. This was about attention, craven self-aggrandizement and being theoretically shocking, while at the same time, utterly, utterly safe.
9. Madonna's live vocals
The Grammy stage is where Whitney Houston killed "One Moment In Time" back in '89. Have some respect.
10. Madonna's choice of attire
The cane I can handle - because then you correctly resemble that bat shit uncle who is so far behind the times it's tragic. But trust Madonna to ignore rule number one - don't wear white to someone else's wedding, bitch.

BULLSHIT. BULL-FUCKING-SHIT to all of it.

I am so fucking SICK of this crap. And usually in the name of "social justice" or "intellectualism". Bullshit. It's becoming it's own fundamentalist religion. Church at tumblr. Reception at twitter.

"Oh, if you're not one of us, how dare you do anything positive with 'our' movement/culture/community/etc."... Jesus fucking Christ... how can anyone expect to have allies if all you do is bite the hand that feeds you?

And the Macklemore comments are old. Enough well spoken, independent thinks (away from the self-righteous 'social justice' mob) have already made good arguments against most of this shit.

This type of shit is becoming far too prevalent and it worries me... how the FUCK are we supposed to evolve if everyone is supposed to stay in their own little space dare they be "silencing the voices" of that actual community? How dare people want to express themselves and help the cause....? How dare people be inspired by other cultures and communities...?

This "taking away our voice" shit is really just a reflection of your own insecurities. Far easier to point the finger at others than actually be a REAL solution.

And god forbid people with an influential platform actually want to do something. These folks would be bitching if they didn't too!

Nothing but self-righteous bullshit. Ru was right - the end of the "movement" or "culture" will be our own doing. People blind to the bigger picture, all in the name of their own politics.

I am so fucking SICK of this crap. And usually in the name of "social justice" or "intellectualism". Bullshit. It's becoming it's own fundamentalist religion. Church at tumblr. Reception at twitter.

"Oh, if you're not one of us, how dare you do anything positive with 'our' movement/culture/community/etc."... Jesus fucking Christ... how can anyone expect to have allies if all you do is bite the hand that feeds you?

And the Macklemore comments are old. Enough well spoken, independent thinks (away from the self-righteous 'social justice' mob) have already made good arguments against most of this shit.

This type of shit is becoming far too prevalent and worries me... how the FUCK are we supposed to evolve if everyone is supposed to stay in their own little space dare they be "silencing the voices" of that actual community? How dare people want to express themselves and help the cause....?

This "taking away our voice" shit is really just a reflection of your own insecurities. Far easier to point the finger at others than actually be a REAL solution.

Nothing but self-righteous bullshit. Ru was right - the end of the "movement" or "culture" will be our own doing. People blind to the bigger picture, all in the name of their own politics.

I love it when you get fired up. Agree with everything you are saying as well.

This type of shit is becoming far too prevalent and it worries me... how the FUCK are we supposed to evolve if everyone is supposed to stay in their own little space dare they be "silencing the voices" of that actual community? How dare people want to express themselves and help the cause....? How dare people be inspired by other cultures and communities...?

And god forbid people with an influential platform actually want to do something. These folks would be bitching if they didn't too!

Totally agree. The gay community needs straight allies. The mentality of this article is so absurd :(

I fucking love this. It had to be said!

Bravo!

Happy-Clap.gif

Brilliant VogueMusic!!!! Love you more!!! Give this to that backward person who wrote that bullshit!!!

And yes 5 months later?!! Wtf!!!

It's not recent. This was published the day after the Grammy's.

I feel bad that a great piece of technological engineering for blogging in the touchscreen age like Tumblr ended up being used to fuel backhanded passive aggressiveness from people who are far too young to really understand what the functions are of social justice, women's rights and PSTD triggers. I don't remember the obsession with social justice being this bad back in the LiveJournal and MySpace days.

Well said VougeMusic! Completely agree with you!
I follow IndieWire on Facebook, and its LGTB related section "Bent" is notoriously condescending and self-righteous. That shit gets old real fast. This particular rant reminds me of those furious bloggers who recently accused RuPaul of being transphobic on her show. The nerve!

Edited by s7ven

aside from the obvious self righteous bullshit as vogue music wonderfully called this "writer" out for, i also have a problem with these bloggers' needs to put "should" in the title. No. we SHOULDNT have those pseudo "intellectual" thoughts. god, how fucking pretentious can people get? it's not just in showbizz. everyone thinks they're oh so important on social media. it's so annoying.

we all have our own views, thank you very much!

Guest bluejean

Totally agree. The gay community needs straight allies. The mentality of this article is so absurd :(

Exactly. The fact it was a straight male doing this song made it far more powerful. He's like the straight jock that stands up for the faggot in high school.

hahah....sorry guys for opening this tipic....it was just funny for me when i saw the article and there are no new on the new album or anything so why not loose some time like this :)

anyway......performance was really borring for me...but whatever...

it is nice to see your reactions and comments