William Orbit again on ROL and MDNA

TearsInHeaven

Why is MDNA being bashed for not having a narrative or a theme like ROL or COADF while we had Madonna and LAV who were similar too? They didn't have a narrative or a cohesive theme but that didn't make them terrible albums. MDNA may not be what most expected but it's not that terrible as some make it out to be.

Why is MDNA being bashed for not having a narrative or a theme like ROL or COADF while we had Madonna and LAV who were similar too? They didn't have a narrative or a cohesive theme but that didn't make them terrible albums. MDNA may not be what most expected but it's not that terrible as some make it out to be.

Anyone with sense would be less critical of her eighties output. Because it was reflective of a new artist finding their voice. By the nineties Madonna sharpened her approach to album making. The studio albums from that decade hold up under scrutiny. MDNA is a structure-free mess. I believe once we hear the new album no one will be defending MDNA.

Anyone with sense would be less critical of her eighties output. Because it was reflective of a new artist finding their voice. By the nineties Madonna sharpened her approach to album making. The studio albums from that decade hold up under scrutiny. MDNA is a structure-free mess. I believe once we hear the new album no one will be defending MDNA.

Love you Erotica Blu but don't agree. I love MDNA . O'h well, variety is the spice of life.

Even Madonna singled out ROL when asked about her best album (or it was a similar question) during the Reddit chat. To even discuss it's importance and impact is silly and unnecessary.

I mostly agree with what Orbit said but at the same time I also agree with fans who say that his productions on MDNA aren't the best either.

When he referred to 3 out of 6 songs by other producers on MDNA, he obviously talked about the Standard Edition of the album, so B-Day Song can't be one of the songs he meant.

MDNA is a structure-free mess. I believe once we hear the new album no one will be defending MDNA.

Definitely. And I think one day even Madonna will admit MDNA is not up to scratch. After all, she hasn't been shy of criticising old work in the past.

As for the 80s albums not having a coherent theme... at least they are sonically and musically coherent, and the tracklistings were clearly very carefully thought out.

I love william orbit but even he says it's unfair how madonna never gets any credit for that album. people who love ROL but don't love M often just say they love it because william is the mastermind behind it.

that's such BS. madonna and patrick made the ground foundation of ROL.

MDNA isn't her best album but it's mostly under appreciated because of the bad single choices. Falling Free, I fucked Up, Im A Sinner, Im Addicted, Masterpiece.. are all amazing tracks. I think gang bang could have done really well too. it was so hyped up and the most sold non-single from the album on itunes by FARRRRR. Not a fan of it anymore now but at the time I think it could've been big (except for maybe the US)

One flop is enough.

Goodnight and thank you William Orbit

You've completed your task

What more can we ask of you now?

Please sign the book on the way out the door

And that will be all, if M needs you she'll call

But I don't think that's likely somehow

6257_3.jpg

I'm not critical of her 80's albums. I love them as much as I love her 90s and 2000s albums, barring some favorites. My point is, why should an album by put down just because it wasn't as cohesive as her other albums. Sure there are some lesser tracks in MDNA but so is the case with other albums.

Madonna wanted to make a dance record with MDNA and she did. Was it all fluff and junk? No. Sonically, despite their flaws, I'm Addicted and Love Spent are great. Lyrically, the album is no nursery rhyme. You have deep songs in Masterpiece, LS, FF, and GB. You can say IDGA has good lyrics too.

I find this MDNA put down very tiresome. It may not hold up to her ROL or COADF but not every album can be like that. I'm not encouraging her to "not give her best" to her future albums as fans fear. But I'm looking at the previous output, the MDNA album. It's not a masterpiece but it's no throwaway either.

At the risk of offending so many people here, but why do Madonna fans keep claiming that Ray of light is the most important relevant album of hers etc ? It may be some people's favourite but do people not know the impact of other albums such as Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer for example. Like a Virgin made Madonna a female pop superstar to the extent never seen before. True Blue was even more successful and Like a Prayer had some of the most iconic and loved songs in her history - adored by not only fans but the general public. Other albums of hers are also just as loved. Ray of light was wonderful but I don't think it is above and better than other albums of hers - and I am referring to albums before and after Ray of light.

William Orbit is not the reason Madonna has been successful and never has been. He is given far too much credit in the scheme of things in her career.

THANK YOU!!!!! I really like Ray of Light but that album has become so overrated. Some people act as if it's the beginning and the end of her career, it basically became a bandwagon effect to say it's her best album ever.

Hard Candy was to me an album to end her contract with Warner.

MDNA, she had her big project W.E. Her mind was more with the film IMO. Released the wrong songs also, who's to blame for that I do not know, interscope or M.

Next album, no distraction, no other project of that we know of she's working on. So let's see how it turns out, can't wait.

I'm not critical of her 80's albums. I love them as much as I love her 90s and 2000s albums, barring some favorites. My point is, why should an album by put down just because it wasn't as cohesive as her other albums. Sure there are some lesser tracks in MDNA but so is the case with other albums.

Madonna wanted to make a dance record with MDNA and she did. Was it all fluff and junk? No. Sonically, despite their flaws, I'm Addicted and Love Spent are great. Lyrically, the album is no nursery rhyme. You have deep songs in Masterpiece, LS, FF, and GB. You can say IDGA has good lyrics too.

I find this MDNA put down very tiresome. It may not hold up to her ROL or COADF but not every album can be like that. I'm not encouraging her to "not give her best" to her future albums as fans fear. But I'm looking at the previous output, the MDNA album. It's not a masterpiece but it's no throwaway either.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The whole album was pretty appalling. Theres a reason its Madonna's worst selling album. Its garbage

No.

Sense.

:thumbsup:

It's kind of funny...every time I play Girl Gone Wild for someone (who has never heard the song...and doesn't even know I'm playing a Madonna album...and who aren't even Madonna fans), they always very positively say "Hey, who's that? Give me a copy of this." LOL!!!!!

Happens when I play I'm Addicted and Masterpiece too.

By no means am I trying to make the song anything more than what it is... but I do find these kinds of non-Madonna fan reactions very interesting (compared to us jaded, hypercritical fans). Just interesting...

i think Ray Of Light was a re birth album for Madonna... many fans today are fans of Madonna because of Ray Of Light. Surely Madonna's biggest fan base came to be on the back of Like A Virgin and True Blue but I also believe Ray Of Light was such a special album a lot of people started to like her from there..

I believe each and one album is essential throughout her career but when you have sold 10 millions copies of an album and when you have sold 2 millions copies you pretty much see which one is the one that really hit a mark.. There's no shame into admitting some of her albums did not do as good as others. If anything she consistently sold a lot of records during her first 10 years in the business despite bad publicity and the "she can't sing" label.

With Ray Of Light she started another phase in her career where people fully accepted her as a mature artist with an exclusive sound... electronica is everywhere now but back in 1998 it was not chart material (in the US anyway). Madonna herself admitted to be taking a huge risk by embracing the electronic rave sound as it wasn't widespread and the charts were still saturated with R&B and alternative rock.

It's also very telling to see the transition that many R&B and Hip Hop artists have done in the last 10 years(from urban to electronica/dance); it was inevitable and Madonna surely deserves praise for it.

It's kind of funny...every time I play Girl Gone Wild for someone (who has never heard the song...and doesn't even know I'm playing a Madonna album...and who aren't even Madonna fans), they always very positively say "Hey, who's that? Give me a copy of this." LOL!!!!!

Happens when I play I'm Addicted and Masterpiece too.

By no means am I trying to make the song anything more than what it is... but I do find these kinds of non-Madonna fan reactions very interesting (compared to us jaded, hypercritical fans). Just interesting...

GGW is a fun and catchy song no matter who sang it. So maybe that's why.

i think the problem with MDNA was the first choice single... if she had Girl Gone Wild as her first single and she performed that at the Super Bowl as she performed it on the MDNA tour maybe MDNA (the album) would have been much more successful. Let's face it GAYL did not work as a first single (same as American Life) but just because a song is not that good that doesn't mean the whole album is bad.

It's also important to point out why GAYL was the obvious choice as first single.. it's a more family orientated track that fits the spirit of the Super Bowl with the cheer-leading chants. I can fully understand why she picked that song... and at that time it made perfect sense. Too bad once the Super Bowl hype died down people really did not care about the album..

I don't think Madonna has ever singled out a single album or piece of work that is "the most important, relevant" of her career.

So that's YOUR opinion. Other people may disagree.

She actually did. As Zdarlight noted, she said ROL was the quintessential Madonna album (in her Reddit chat)

Face it, Bedtime Stories is her greatest album.

+1

People just denigrate MDNA cos of the good 'ol non traditional promo and the fact the tour superseded it, usually it's those unfortunate Hard Candy bars, trying desperately to put another album at the top of the shitlist :sassy:

There's only one or two ppl in this thread citing ROL as her most important album and for them maybe it is. I find fans tend to have a great affinity to whatever album was released during their own all-important early teen years. I'm an Erotica boy myself and will always stan for that album :erotica:

n. I would have also dropped three of the six tracks produced by the other guys, they were not good enough in my opinion; too puerile. As for the remaining three I would have suggested to put more depth and make them more special. I had the best team and other brilliant songs, this is why I am still a bit puzzled to these days but what’s done is done so I don’t ever give it a second thought.

:thumbsup:

At the risk of offending so many people here, but why do Madonna fans keep claiming that Ray of light is the most important relevant album of hers etc ? It may be some people's favourite but do people not know the impact of other albums such as Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer for example. Like a Virgin made Madonna a female pop superstar to the extent never seen before. True Blue was even more successful and Like a Prayer had some of the most iconic and loved songs in her history - adored by not only fans but the general public. Other albums of hers are also just as loved. Ray of light was wonderful but I don't think it is above and better than other albums of hers - and I am referring to albums before and after Ray of light.

William Orbit is not the reason Madonna has been successful and never has been. He is given far too much credit in the scheme of things in her career.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Ray of light :snore: :snore: :snore:

William Orbit shouldn't have to stick up for Madonna. All artists have different strengths and it seems the media won't even acknowledge her strengths and talent while hyping up others up. Why do some of Madonna's fans so easily fall for that? William Orbit shouldn't have to speak up about Madonna's involvement in her own album.

For MDNA I believe Madonna had an idea for that album that didn't involve songs with somewhat of a similar vision. I sometimes wonder if Madonna doesn't always discuss with people she is working with what feeling or point she is trying to get across with a song or an album which is why William is puzzled. I feel that strongly with MDNA. I do feel Madonna is more open emotionally when she works with William and that's why the songs he is involved with are my favorite tracks on MDNA. He's right, there are some childish songs on MDNA but I don't have a problem with that because maybe she was feeling childish at the time. Madonna can deal with a lot because she doesn't take everything so seriously all the time. I tend to like her more serious songs because I take everything very seriously and I'm a mess for it, but I admire people who can let go and have fun. William also mentions about the job of being her while managing time. She's also the mother of four children. She was working on W.E. I'm sure William wanted an album where he shared the vision of the album with her but Madonna probaly was all over the place emotionally which might have also inspired moments of wanting to escape and I stand by her making the album she wanted to make in that space and time.

I love William and really respect his opinion and his feelings about the other work on an album that his name is on. I accept that Madonna had too much going on during the making of MDNA and that she didn't work with William as long as he would have liked but I believe Madonna had her vision for MDNA and accomplished it.

Very WELL SAID as always Pud.

Oh William Orbit. Ugh. Yes Ray of Light was great but it was never going to happen again the way Like a Prayer was never going to happen again. The way Confessions will never happen again.

Hence why he was brought in later. Hence why his tracks on Music are the fans least favorite of the album.

Madonna knows this about William, Patrick and Stuart.

So you all need to learn this too. And STFU and trust madonnas process.

Glad to be here to help. :rotfl: