William Orbit again on ROL and MDNA

TearsInHeaven

very interesting! i wonder how MDNA could have turned out if he could have done what he is saying here. And i am sure we all know which puerile tracks he is referring to :1251: (although i think it is a bit unprofessional from him to say such a thing in regards of other producers' work, just my opinion)

PEOPLE GOT SO EXCITED WHEN THEY KNEW YOU WERE INVOLVED IN MADONNA’S MDNA. HOW DIFFERENT WAS IT TO COLLABORATE WITH HER ON THESE TWO DIFFERENT PROJECTS?

I knew people were excited, they ask me about a new Ray Of  Light every minute of the day. Think of it this way: it came about very spontaneously. We were in this studio in a rather unfashionable part of LA where nobody came. I do remember M telling to a guy from the record company “This is art. This is how we are doing it.”

It was a very pure experience; it was all about making that record and nothing else. She’s an amazing person, producer and it was a true collaboration. It’s important to get this across; I don’t like it when people assume that I was the clever one doing the whole job. I’d feel mortified if I was her because she didn’t put her name on the production out of vanity, she was fucking in there with me. We didn’t have a plan and though she’s good at driving things along, I didn’t expect to see her nervous during the first listening party for people at Warner. She never shows it and I mean, that woman has never lost money even on a bad year but still, we were biting our nails!

As for MDNA it’s important to say that I jumped on the project later on. She also had lots of projects going on at the same time, I honestly don’t know how any human being could cope with everything that comes with just being her! She’s such an incredible time manager.

I would have mixed it myself if I could, or only together with Madonna because she’s a great mixer. We have spirited debates about things but we both always end up in the same direction. I would have also dropped three of the six tracks produced by the other guys, they were not good enough in my opinion; too puerile. As for the remaining three I would have suggested to put more depth and make them more special. I had the best team and other brilliant songs, this is why I am still a bit puzzled to these days but what’s done is done so I don’t ever give it a second thought.

read more here http://www.hungertv.com/feature/interview-william-orbit/

Don't think he was unprofessional or shady in anyway. Actually agree w/ most of what he said! Regardless, really don't care for him/ his style or really what he has to say lol. Not a diss on him personally. Seems very nice. I'm just talking musically. Yes, he was flawless for M on ROL and the song Beautiful Stranger but needed to go after that. I'd rather read endless interviews with the real M messiahs Pat Leonard, Stephen Bray, Jellybean, and living legend Nile Rodgers (there have been many w/ him lately and can't even enough)! Even Shep and Mirwais are as un-stimulating and stale as Orbit. They were great for 'an' album (or a few songs) but she should've moved on asap after their shelf lives expired. Unfortunately in some of those cases she didn't. Woulda taken ANY one of those 4 previous producers I gave praise for over Orbit on MDNA (and even future albums)! lol

Well it's great to hear about his experiences in the studio with M when they were recording ROL, but regarding MDNA I would have preferred it if he talked about HIS songs instead of giving his opinion on the songs not produced by him. What's the point?
Yes I agree with him, some of Solveig's and Benassi's songs lack depth and subtlety (not sure "puerile" is the right word though) - but why talk about those songs when he could have told us about what he created with M?

I love Orbit, but it does seem to me there was something with MDNA that made him feel kinda bitter about the whole project, maybe it was him only being partially involved or the album not meeting critical and commercial expectations.

I personally find his songs to be the least 'special' on the album. Some Girls and I'm a Sinner never did anything for me and Masterpiece was a lesser song than similar ones she's created before. Falling Free was a gorgeous, if unmemorable, song.

Guest Pud Whacker

Oh William Orbit. Ugh. Yes Ray of Light was great but it was never going to happen again the way Like a Prayer was never going to happen again. The way Confessions will never happen again.

Hence why he was brought in later. Hence why his tracks on Music are the fans least favorite of the album.

Madonna knows this about William, Patrick and Stuart.

So you all need to learn this too. And STFU and trust madonnas process.

Glad to be here to help. :rotfl:

All he's saying is - it was rushed, badly mixed and a coupla songs were shite (Birthday Song, Superstar probably GMAYL) Can't argue with any of that really.

Oh William Orbit. Ugh. Yes Ray of Light was great but it was never going to happen again the way Like a Prayer was never going to happen again. The way Confessions will never happen again.

Hence why he was brought in later. Hence why his tracks on Music are the fans least favorite of the album.

Madonna knows this about William, Patrick and Stuart.

So you all need to learn this too. And STFU and trust madonnas process.

Glad to be here to help. :rotfl:

This was all about MDNA, not ROL....

And I agree with everything he said. I still love MDNA, but you can't deny that there are flaws in it. He should have been the executive producer of the whole record. In fact, I kinda recall hearing a rumor back then that he was actually receiving that title...

GMAYL is missing a co-production credit from William. Heck, he should have produced it himself.

All he's saying is - it was rushed, badly mixed and a coupla songs were shite (Birthday Song, Superstar probably GMAYL) Can't argue with any of that really.

:order:

Guest Pud Whacker

And I agree with everything he said. I still love MDNA, but you can't deny that there are flaws in it. He should have been the executive producer of the whole record. In fact, I kinda recall hearing a rumor back then that he was actually receiving that title...

GMAYL is missing a co-production credit from William. Heck, he should have produced it himself.

im quite well aware of what the conversation was regarding, whoopie. xo

all im saying is his mentally deficient outburst on his facebook was from fans tweeting and asking questions and was completely uncalled for and he was making excuses for his inadequate work, as far as im concerned.

i know he is considered holy among madonna fans born between 1980-1987. but not to me.

:ass:

Guest Pud Whacker

he is still back there in 1998...thats the problem. when i hear his music for M, including song from Music album to....i feel them all like B sides of ROL album. thats not good...

YAAAAS!!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

and also....it is stupid to say in one sentance how madonna is great producer and then in another that there were stupid produced songs on album.

absolutely. hes so ridiculous. i have no time for him.

I agree. I love MDNA but it needed a clean-up. The mixing was atrocious, as we discussed before, there's so many little intricate details in those MDNA instrumentals he posted online that are completely obliterated in the final versions. The filler C-Sides like Birthday Song, Superstar just serve to drag the whole thing down and the tracks produced by (once again) two-bit flavour of the month DJs are completely soulless and, as he says, needed some depth injected into them.

It's a good sign however that Madonna is still asking his opinion on this new stuff as she's obviously well aware of the facebook comments from Orbit ages ago, stuff that prompted Guy Oseary to contact him and ask for an explanation. Hell, in retrospect, she probably actually agrees with him.