Her Best Song, Musically?

IsaacHarris

Some other, inferior version of Fever came on at my job today, so my co-workers started talking about their favorite covers. Naturally, when I said "Madonna's version" the room fell silent :rotfl: Haters.

That led to bigger discussion on M's OWN music; they can re-use the same old jokes about her image, but the discography is flawless (one of them asked for a list of songs to check out). Visuals, videos, costumes, & performances aside what is Madonna's best song musically? Do the lyrics relate to you? Why? How? etc...

Post your choice! (Madonna doesn't have to be the sole song-writer either, it aint that serious).

Since we all know that Erotica is Madonna's creative height, my choice is gonna have to be track 11.

What do I have to look like to feel I'm equal?
Where do I have to go?

I'm in my early 20's and I feel like I'm really hearing her music in a different way now. It's all shiny & new again! I LOVE how straight forward her message is, and it's still as relevant as the first time I heard it; why IS it so hard to love one another, accept that we're different? Such universal lyrics over a ganja-inspired, reggae-ish, beat. It makes me wanna---> :fag: TBQH.

I've actually played Why's It So Hard for friends & my dad (it's a non-fan favorite/ icebreaker). My friend once pointed out the way she sings "before it's too late. before it's too laaaaaaaaate..." -UGH. Still gives me goosebumps, especially with those church ladies sangin' in the background. It's so simple, smooth, poetic, totally relatable too.

I love Why's It So Hard. I wanted it to be a single.

As for best song(s) musically? The two that sprung to mind are Papa Don't Preach and Drowned World SFL. They're poles apart in lyrics, production and context but I think on all those counts that both songs are marvellous.

Isaac, you want me to cite only ONE song with such a flawless discography? Impossible, just impossible :lol:

I have a special affection for her ballads like TUTBMP, You'll see, Time Stood Still,... Those are among us her best musically imo.

LAP fits the bill here and also lyrically. Why's It So Hard? :blink: well it's good but that's a bit of a left field choice, musically it's much better than lyrically, but it's way better than Love Makes the World Go Round with that theme. It has a reggae/dub vibe.

Like a Prayer

The instrumental bit before "life is a mystery" with the crosses is just :dramatic::wow: :lush:

Isaac, you want me to cite only ONE song with such a flawless discography? Impossible, just impossible :lol:

I have a special affection for her ballads like TUTBMP, You'll see, Time Stood Still,... Those are among us her best musically imo.

I can't pick one either, but both You'll See & Time Stood Still are personal favorites of mine!

Whys it so hard? was my favourite song when my sister first played Erotica.

Sistaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ahhhhhhh. Before it's toooooo laaaaay aytttteeee ahoowwwww.

Deffinately Drowned World/Substitute For Love. So much passion, drive, hurt, power, empowerment, weakness etc... And the vocal delivery is out of this world.

I think the whole of Like a Prayer is still to be surpassed musically. It's probably her only release were she could sit down with a good LIVE band (i.e. Girlie Show) and sing her way through the entire album with it sounding amazing, genuine and authentic to the original record.