Madonna doesn't have a definitive song?

Samo

M adonna has many signature songs but I still don't, think that's she has a definitive song that almost everyone claims is their universal favorite like Whitney with I Will Always Love You or Celine qith My Heart Will Go On

Vogue represents the signature peak of her career. The song is also timeless. Sure it has nods to the early nineties. But it remains refreshingly current with the landscape of today. She's never even given a bad performance of the song live. Which says a lot about its quality as a song.

Not to mention is the song that gets used the most by other pop artists and tv shows

She doesn't have just one though.

Into the groove

Holiday

Like a virgin

Like a prayer

Vogue

Express yourself

Music

Ray of light

I mean...there's so many etched into the public consciousness and they all define her for that period...

But you guys still don't get whaat Im saying is that's she's has plenty of SIGNATURE songs but doesn't have a go to DEFINITIVE song

Definitive as in 1 the end all be all

Part of the reason this is is because she has song many hits that everyone has their own definitive Madonna song

As Opposed to someone like Cyndi Lauper, no shade, whose only had like 5 hits and whose Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is EASILY her definitive song

Vogue is Madonna's definitive song.

Vogue IS Madonna. Old Hollywood glamour + fashion + choreography + club culture + queer culture + universal message of empowerment = Vogue.

for the general public its always going to be Like a Virgin or Material Girl and Holiday

Only if you mean the general public over 40.

Only if you mean the general public over 40.

That's just it. Each age group probably has their own stand out Madonna track that pops into their heads.

For people that got into music during the Ray of Light era, its probably Ray of Light. Or Hung Up for those during Confessions, or 4 Minutes for those during Hard Candy.

Plus Madonna has tackled so many different sounds of music since the start of her career along with having such a massive list of hits. So with that also you are constantly going to get a mixed bag of answers.

If you were to ask my sister what her favorite Madonna song is she would probably say Like a Prayer.

For my dad it would be, This Used to be My Playground.

For my mom it would probably be Papa Don't Preach or Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

For me its Ray of Light.

For my friends husband it would be 4 Minutes which he had them play at their wedding. :lol:

For my best friend who constantly bashes Madonna (just to try and get a rise out of me. I am so numb to it at this point since this has been going on since I was 8. :lmao:) if you were to FORCE it out of him I get the feeling that it would be Frozen.

For one of my other childhood friends who had to grow up and be forced to watch and listen to anything about Madonna because of me, he would say Music.

It could go on and on...

It has always been and will always be Like a Virgin & it's fascinating to me that people think otherwise.

#Madonna #Lace #Wedding #Bride #Iconic #MinnieMouse #80's #Helium #LAVFTW #TheGeneralPublicAgrees

What about her definitive songs from where you are? Right here here they're Crazy for You, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Holiday, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, and Take a Bow (! -- we're suckers for sentimental ballads :lol: )

All of these songs have consistent play on retro format radio and are huge karaoke/videoke staples.

But if pressed, it'd be C4U and LAV.

But for me, Im leaning towards her not having one or two definitive songs. Her work is just so vast and varied and an ocean of hits/anthems

Guest Pud Whacker

I was talking to a straight buddy of mine who is a moderate Madonna fan and he told me that Madonna doesn't have a definitive song because she's had so many big hits that she's doesn't just have ONE songs that DEFINES her

I disagreed by saying that the song that is the biggest hit and or most well known by the general public would bê her definitive song

In the case of Madonna it's would be Like a Virgin

So does Madonna have a definitive song?

yes, your friend is right. madonna's diverse.

she has signature songs but nothing definitive.

Guest bluejean

She has 3:

Like a Virgin

Like a Prayer

Vogue

Close contenders are:

Holiday

Material Girl

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach

Express Yourself

Ray of Light

Music

Hung Up

What about her definitive songs from where you are? Right here here they're Crazy for You, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Holiday, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, and Take a Bow (! -- we're suckers for sentimental ballads :lol: )

All of these songs have consistent play on retro format radio and are huge karaoke/videoke staples.

It would be Into the Groove since that's the one I hear the most.

No. I don't think it's fair for her to have just one definitive song. People's immediate go to for her is either Like a Virgin or Vogue. I don't find it fair that other songs like Papa Don't Preach, Into The Groove, and Ray of light get shunned. But in reality, Madonna is a multifaceted musician. There isn't just one song that defines her, because her catalog is so vastly unique and different; nothing is alike. Madonna is Madonna.

This. And I couldn't have said it better.

Madonna's defining song would have to be her in a nutshell. A song that encapsulates everything she stand for, every of her re-inventions, everything she's done musically and that is simply impossible.

I was surprised when MJ died, Man in the mirror became the most played instantly...

So, in her case, I hope the hidden gem off AL "Intervention" would get the recognition it deserves! :thumbsup: