We need to talk about HARD CANDY

There is a strong correlation between people that dislike HC and not being able to dance. It's evident at the fan parties.

What Madonna fan doesn't know how to dance??

I definitely agree that HC is more cohesive than MDNA, at least musically, but I disagree that T/T and Pharrell formed a united cohesive sound. Two different sounds is hardly a bad thing, but I just don't think they mesh very well because many of Pharrell's tracks are basically total disco throwbacks. For example, "She's Not Me" doesn't fit alongside "4 Minutes" or "Voices" AT ALL. Then again, "Dance 2Nite" has a post-disco sound that works with those Pharrell tracks. I just think overall it's two different albums trying to be one - a disco album and an urban/hip-hop album.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. But I wanted to add that while I have no doubt that Madonna wanted to work with Timbaland and loved Justin's FS/LS album (who didn't?), I think HC is comparable to Bedtime Stories in more than just the most obvious way: I think the more disco-leaning tracks probably represent the album she really wanted to make, just like "Sanctuary" and "Bedtime Story" is probably the album she really wanted to make in 1994. That's not to say she doesn't always make the album she "wants" to make - just that the direction she probably wanted to go in as an "artist" was different from the direction she wanted to go in as a business woman who wanted to remain relevant and current. Just a thought.

incredible is the best song on the album.

it took me awhiles to get into hard candy but i love it now

incredible and heartbeat are some of her best work in the 2000s

for some reason, i can never remember how miles away sounds, dont really car for that song, and not matter how many times i do give it a listen, i forget how it sounds 10 minutes later

In comparison to MDNA, Hard Candy is a masterpiece. I like Hard Candy a lot, Give It 2 Me and Incredible are awesome songs. At the time I thought it was pretty average but now I think it's pretty good. What was Madonna thinking with MDNA?? It's rubbish

Love HC, a great summer album with constant replay value. Also loved MDNA, that seemed great at first but, indeed, has little staying power and turns into possibly her weakest.

It is her weakest tied with the not really a studio album I'm Breathless.

Guest sambassile

OT, guys can someone please let me know where i can get a high quality studio version of this version of Hung Up?

She performed this during promo for Confessions, I really like the arrangement in this edit.

It's pretty disappointing that people are shitting on MDNA now! :confused: Half the album is as good as anything on M discography & she did a great job with how the album tracks were performed on the amazing tour. I feel it was an achievement for M to release an album like MDNA thirty years into her career. She could have made a much safer sounding album for the public, but she took some chances, some clearly worked & some did not.

I love MDNA, some of those songs are some of my favourites of her entire discography.

Girl Gone Wild

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

I'm A Sinner

Love Spent

Falling Free

I love them :-)

CANDY SHOP/4 MINUTES/GIVE IT 2 ME/HEARTBEAT/MILES AWAY

What a way to start the album, brilliant and perfect.

She's Not Me, good song !

I Think Incredible is too long, I like Beat Goes On but I always liked the demo best. Spanish Lesson is Ok, so is Voices. Dance 2nite is ok too, I like it, and I love the Timbaland end to it.

I don't Like Devil.

I Love ACROSS THE SKY.

Much better album that some would want it to be. Refreshing in her discography !

It's pretty disappointing that people are shitting on MDNA now! :confused: Half the album is as good as anything on M discography & she did a great job with how the album tracks were performed on the amazing tour. I feel it was an achievement for M to release an album like MDNA thirty years into her career. She could have made a much safer sounding album for the public, but she took some chances, some clearly worked & some did not.

This.

I don't know why people are being so harsh on MDNA, back when it leaked (apart from the lead single) people were gushing over it and now... :sad:

I think it's a brilliant album and i've always loved it.

This.

I don't know why people are being so harsh on MDNA, back when it leaked (apart from the lead single) people were gushing over it and now... :sad:

don´t worry, trhey will love it again in six months

This.

Probably because it was "new". You can change your point of view of an album after a thousand of listens and after some time (live versions, videos, are all influenced). That's where you get the real picture of an album.

Guest Rachelle of London

The ONLY thing i dislike about HC is I wish Timbalands productions were a bit more Timbalandy. Other than that rnb pop he did with JT and nelly back in 06 his music usually is a lot more gritty and hip hop. Imagine M with the same kind of production as Aaliyah's We Need a Resolution or Missys Pass that Dutch. I wish they went THERE with the production. It seems like they were holding back because M is such a pop icon! I think it would be brill

I totally agree - it always seems to follow the same pattern. People hated AL when it came out and now love it, people hated HC when it came out and now rave about it, and of course MDNA is getting so much hate now. Just wait a few years and everyone will be gushing about MDNA and tearing apart M's next studio album.

I loved D2N, Voices, Devil and Heartbeat at first listen. <3

I still can't stand Spanish Lesson though! Ugh!

The rest has taken me some time to warm up to, but I'm getting there! ;)

I am a HARD CANDY lover from the very start and up to now... INCREDIBLE is just...

I'm still a little pissed she couldn't work incredible into the setlist of S&S

That song is like listening to an entire relationship summarized into a single song.

I was in a failing relationship when HC was released, and as with most of Madonna's albums, they generally always relate to what I'm feeling at the time, so it spoke to me in a very sad way.... But That's another very long and sad story.

Oddly enough, I don't compare a lot of Madonna albums to each other, but if I did I would put Hard Candy (only on terms of context and life events making the album) to Like A Prayer. They were breakup albums, so there's a bit of desperation, mixed with the sadness, mixed with the hopefulness that things could work, and ultimately resolving that it can't.

At least that's how I interpreted the album when it was released and I still feel a little sad when I listen to some of the songs now.

I totally agree - it always seems to follow the same pattern. People hated AL when it came out and now love it, people hated HC when it came out and now rave about it, and of course MDNA is getting so much hate now. Just wait a few years and everyone will be gushing about MDNA and tearing apart M's next studio album.

I don't think so. MDNA's weak songs, thin vocals, ear-bleeding production and incoherent track list are not going to get better in time. I think the reason some people weren't fond of Hard Candy at the time was not because of the music itself, but because of several other factors that don't matter now. In that way it's similar to Erotica, which can now be appreciated for the music alone, without all the negative publicity that surrounded it when it was first released.