We need to talk about HARD CANDY

So, whats the verdict?

Have we as a forum come to the united consensus that Hard Candy is a work of musical art? It's been six years, so surely most of the initial haters have come around. Ignoring the comparisons to earlier works & meltdowns of yesterday, let's discuss how we feel about the album, NOW. -What do you think of HC as of today? Has it aged well? Do you still listen to it religiously? Is it on-trend?

Let's be honest!

Since there are already 3 HC-related threads active, I figured we'd quit beating around the bush. I was listening/ dancing to the album from start to finish earlier and here's how I feel about each song, post dance break:

Candy Shop- Madonna singing about her vaginal flavoring is ALWAYS going to get a standing ovation from me, but let's focus on the music. Pharrell REALLY outdid himself with that simplistically funky beat. There's an intentionally dated sound to it, as if he was in the studio, crafting the song on one of those portable pianos that run on double D batteries. As in intro, it's a lovely preview of the dancey deliciousness that's to come.

4 Minutes- the groundbreaking, Earth-shattering, speaker-igniting, bass-booming jam of all jams & quite possibly the best lead single ever. Say what you will about Timbaland, the man knows how to layer a song; the way those horns build up (with Timberlake's vocals on the hook) is perfection! As 'loud' as the song is, I love how Madonna's voice cuts through all the noise.

Give It 2 Me- the word "iconic" is tossed around a lot, but the lyrics are GI2M are nothing short of legendary; she's giving us a step-by-step musical tutorial on how to NOT be a basic bitch. Give her a chance to go, she'll take it. When there's no one left, she goes on & on & on. -This track marks the death of Esther & a return to her more braggadocios side.

Heartbeat- I was hooked from the very first listen! Obviously one the the strongest (and catchiest) tracks on the album. The opening 20 seconds are electronic heaven, like something you'd hear in an 80's arcade game; the beat pulsates! Her voice on the chorus is EVERYTHING, but I'm starting to really appreciate her low-pitched ad-libs in the background @ 1:37.

"LET THE MUSIC PLAY,

CUZ I'M HERE TO STAY."

Miles Away- the melody is absolutely gorgeous, her voice is minty smooth (probably the best of the album), and the lyrics are so relevant. Guy must have really brought out the writer in Madonna; the album isn't as lyrically complex as some would like, but I still enjoy it for the simplistic pop ballad that it is.

She's Not Me- FUNKDONNA LIVES on this passionate, bitchy, vengeful groove. One of the standout tracks of the album & one of the best retro-inspired tunes; it's funny, SNM sounds "fresher" than a lot of the hit-songs of 2008 do. That's because funk is eternal. Oh, and I firmly believe that the spacey outro is some kind of trance-inducing subliminal message reminding us that she (no matter who she is) will never compete. I'd consider it a major testament in the gospel of Madonna.

Incredible- there's so much going on, let's break it down in segments 3 segments:

-The opening verses are cute & sunny. A little Elementary at times, but definitely infectious.

-The shift is actually my favorite part! I love how the beat gets menacing & her voice gets higher.

-There's a sense of urgency during the "getcha body movin" part. It sounds like the final level of a videogame.

Beat Goes On- I firmly believe that this song was tailor-made for me; it works both a personal mantra & a workout jam, as inspirational as it is funky. Some music can only be fully enjoyed at full volume, through headphones, while dancing around in a dark bedroom (try it, you'll see). Kanye West still sounds as good as he did one the first listen & Pharrell's backing-falsetto compliments Madonna's voice perfectly. & I'm the only one loving those sparkly twinkle noises @ the very beginning? :rotfl:

"Here's an impromptu; I want you.

Now I'm gon' to tell ya what I want to, do to you."

Dance 2nite- an undeniable tune & one of my favorite duets (mainly because she's leading the entire time). The beat is transformative, so much so that every time I listen it's like I'm sandwiched between M & JT on a roller rink floor in tube socks and everything. I consider it the most re-playable song on the album, and even after several listens, I'm still dancing. "You just gotta get more, more, MOOOOOOORE" is like the best lyric ever.

Spanish Lesson- this beat is some kind of hip-hop flamenco hybrid club anthem, I can't put into words how much I love it! I could care less if her Spanish is accurate, cuz when that "if you do you're homework" breakdown hits, I start body rolling like J. Lo in her prime TBQH. I'd do anything to hear it in a social setting/ club one day. It'd be MASSIVE.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize- the perfect album closer & the most modern-sounding track. There's something ominous in her voice, like she's singing from the shadows, watching a former lover. That hook is the absolute highlight for me though; it's so strong, so catchy, so haunting. Lyrically, what could have been a glooomy ballad is actually a mid-tempo JAM. Oh, and Justin's moaning towards the end is an added bonus too. :wow:

Voices- I can't stand it, AT ALL. Should've been Across the Sky or Ring My Bell in its place.

"Babe, if you want more,

You'll come to my front door!"

Guest Rachelle of London

Best thread ever! HC is brill!

OMG why do you hate voices! I LOVE it

My thoughts are the Timbaland / Timberlake sound hasn't aged so well compared to the tracks produced by Pharrell - eg Give It 2 Me and She's Not Me still sound amazing - my thoughts are that as a whole, the album hasn't aged as well as COADF and I am not a huge fan of the artwork.

Guest Rachelle of London

See I think HC has aged a lot better than Confessions. Confessions was great back on 05 but now I only listen to a few tracks. Whereas you look at he charts and a lot of the songs coming out have that vibe that HC has

Now now! Despite the fact that Hard Candy IS superior to both MDNA & (especially) Confessions, we're not here to discuss that!

No comparisons necessary, just explanations of whether or not you still like HC as an album in 2014. Review it & re-evaluate it.

Guest Rachelle of London

Hahah sorry! I was just responding to Matt!

We all know the best song on HC is Incredible

We all know the best song on HC is Incredible

I have no idea why Incredible is so hated. It's amazing. It's like the musical equivalent of watching the sun set (on Madonna and Guy's LTR)

Hard Candy is in my top 5 Madonna albums I think. I can't say it better than IssacHarris did in his flawless review :clap:

I wouldn't call it "art" :lol: but I do love the album. Heartbeat is one of my favorite Madonna tracks ever, and Miles Away has only gotten better, and more respect from me with age.

4 Minutes- the groundbreaking, Earth-shattering, speaker-igniting, bass-booming jam of all jams & quite possibly the best lead single ever.

confused.gif

That being said it was the right lead single for that project. Beat Goes On should have been the 2nd single though.

YES! It's a rather deep album filled with sweet, sassy, funky beats. She has her fun with it too, while letting out the pains of her failing relationship.

One of her best.

I'm honestly thinking of copying u though, I wanna put myself infront of the candy swirl background too.

I'm honestly thinking of copying u though, I wanna put myself infront of the candy swirl background too.

We really need to start a trend with that!

OMG, LET'S!

Nothing would warm my heart more than to see an army of M fans among candy backdrops. :wow:

I love: Miles Away, Devil, Voices

I like: Beat goes on, Candy shop, Give it 2 me, She's not me

I hate: Spanish lesson, Incredible, Dance 2night, 4 minutes

I think it's Madonna's worst album to date, I much prefer MDNA

IsaacHarris your avi is freaking amazing

HARD CANDY for life! It's my first Madonna studio album so it's very special to my heart.

At the time of its release, fans were saying she was following the trend with hiring the producers. But for me she wasn't. As discussed in another thread before, she brought back this retro/funk vibe before Get Lucky and Happy and Blurred Lines became hits. Before my iTunes library got deleted, 90% of the songs were in my Top 25 Most Played. I'm not good at track by track review but since I love HC, I'll go.

Candy Shop - The true hidden gem of the album. I don't object to this being a regular on all future tours in different versions. This song alone represents Hard Candy's in your face demeanor.

4 Minutes - I would've chosen a different lead track after hearing the entire album but I see they went with the right choice. It's infectious and catchy. No matter what you say about this, it's M last biggest hit so far.

Give It 2 Me - The quintissential M/Pharrell song! Also, this marks the beginning of my favorite section in the album, concluding up to SNM.

Heartbeat - I love it. Funky and very danceable.

Miles Away - Again, I always interpreted her vocals in this song as that of acceptance and defeat over her divorce. It suit the song well.

She's Not Me - The quintissential Madonna song. And my most played Madonna song ever.

Incredible - The 3 act structure is genius! It's very busy and energetic.

Beat Goes On - The missed potential. Funky and mainstream friendly. Plus, the lyrics is inspirational.

Dance 2Nite - The most funkiest song, and the perfect song to have sex :lmao:

Spanish Lesson - I dig it even when others didn't. I get the "wrong" lyrics. It's Spanish without sounding like your typical Spanish/Latin songs.

Devil - My complain is JT's production that's similar to his song. But I've learned to appreciate it.

Voices - My least favorite track. Animal or RMB should've replaced it. The broken bass or whatever that was at the end always annoyed me.

I love this album. Love it. LOVE. IT. LAAAAHHHHVVEEEEE ITTTTTT.

My favorite after my #1 favorite (Erotica).