HC v. MDNA

vocalism

There's been a lot of back and forth on this topic, and I hope this results in a civil debate rather than catfights, but I thought it would be fun to do a track vs. track comparison between Hard Candy and MDNA. I'm firmly in camp MDNA, and my results bear that out:

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild: I'm not a fan of either song. But while CS has grown on me a bit and the vocals are better in comparison, GGW wins because of the production.

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang: GB, clearly.

Give It 2 Me v. I'm Addicted: I like GI2M, but IA is better.

Heartbeat v. Turn Up the Radio: I don't hate "Heartbeat," but even with the vocals sped up, I prefer TUTR.

Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin': Miles Away is a nice song. GMAYL, not so much.

She's Not Me v. Some Girls: Again, I don't hate SNM (the production is great even if her vocals are unbearable), but SG is a hot track.

Incredible v. Superstar: I have to go with "Superstar." It's total filler, but inoffensive. "Incredible" isn't terrible, but it's far from incredible.

Beat Goes On v. I Don't Give A: I like both, but BGO is my favorite track from HC.

Dance 2Night v. I'm a Sinner: Again, I like both, but the vocals on D2 are a deal breaker for me. IAS is a great song with great vocals.

Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent: I don't hate SL like some do, but obviously LS is the winner. One of the highlights of MDNA.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece: DWRY FTW.

Voices v. Falling Free: I can never even remember the title of FF. "Voices" is superior, even if Timbaland's distorted production is overbearing.

HARD CANDY = 4

MDNA = 8

As for bonus tracks, all of the MDNA tracks would win over "Ring My Bell" aside from "BDay Song."

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang

Give It 2 Me v. I'm Addicted

Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio

Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin

She's Not Me v. Some Girls

Incredible v. Superstar

Beat Goes On v. I Don't Give A

Dance 2Night v. I'm a Sinner

Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You vs. Masterpiece

Voices v. Falling Free

MDNA :7

HC :5

That's actually closer than I thought it would be. Overall I prefer MDNA over HC.

Guest Rocco Papa

I like MDNA, but I got tired of it pretty quickly. It's not a bad album (I don't think Madonna has ever done a bad album), it's just that the songs were very simple. The only exception to that, of course, is Gang Bang. The album wasn't even out a full week, and I already felt like I was listening to it for ages.

Hard Candy, on the other hand, is a much stronger collection of songs (at least to me). While I was disappointed with the direction she took after it first came out (it seemed like a huge step downward after the masterpiece of COADF), I found a new appreciation for it after MDNA came out.

So, I guess I prefer Hard Candy. I will say, though, both Hard Candy and MDNA haven't been able to reach the level of COADF for me. I hope I love her new album as much as that one.

Edited by RoccoPapa

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild - GGW is a bop and has better production than CS. It's also a great album opener.

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang - They're both good, but GB is iconic.

Give It 2 Me v. I'm Addicted - I hate hate hate hate hate GI2M, I've hated this song from day 1 and I love IA.

Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio - Heartbeat is one of my favourite HC song, while TUTR imo is just a mess with no soul or passion.

Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin - Not a big fan of both of them but MA is obviously better

She's Not Me v. Some Girls - She's Not Me has much better production than SG but I like them both a lot

Incredible v. Superstar - This is pretty obvious, too.

Beat Goes On v. I Don't Give A - Again, pretty easy. IDGA is just horrible.

Dance 2Night v. I'm a Sinner - Never been a fan of D2N.

Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent - I don't hate SL but LS is obviously better, since it's one of the best songs from MDNA

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You vs. Masterpiece - One of my favourite tracks from HC against one of the songs I really don't give a shit about mhhh...

Voices v. Falling Free - Obviously FF. Voices is just overproduced.

6 : 6 pretty much what I expected...

My religion is Hard Candy, but I'll entertain the idea of ranking the 2 albums.

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild -Madonna talking bout her sexual prowess over a funky beat? Winner by default.

4 Minutes v. GangBang -the greatest Madonna single of 2000's featuring none other than my boyfriend JT? No competetion.
GI2M v. Addicted -this was tough. I love both but I gotta give it to GI2M for the 'get stupid' breakdown alone. It's everything.
Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio -anything is better than TURT TBQH. No contest.
Miles Away v. Gimme All Ur Luv -the acoustic guitar makes MA all the more special. And she sounds so pretty.
Shes Not Me v. Some Girls -two of my favorite Bitchdonna tracks. SNM has a little more 'edge' to it.
Incredible v. Superstar -is there even a question?
Beat Goes On v. IDGAF -This is the one time I'll ever say this, but Kanye trumped Nicki Minaj.
Dance 2Nite v. I'm A Sinner -quite possibly the best Madonna bridge ever: "you just gotta get, more, more, MOOOORE!!!"
Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent -Love both, but SL makes me dance like that Doli Doli interlude girl on S&S.
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece -Again, I LOVE both songs, but the piano bits in DWRY are heavenly.
Voices v. Falling Free -FF is the most gorgeous Madonna ballad ever & a musical gem. Makes me weep like a child.

HC-11

MDNA-1

It may not look it, but I love both albums. I really do :rotfl:

^ :lmao:

Give It 2 Me v. I'm Addicted - I hate hate hate hate hate GI2M, I've hated this song from day 1 and I love IA.

Curious why you hate hate hate hate hate GI2M. Doesn't seem like the kind of song that generates much hate from fans.

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild -Madonna talking bout her sexual prowess over a funky beat? Winner by default.

Not surprised by your picks at all, but if you want a song with M talking about her sexual prowess (well, more or less) over a funky beat, "Erotica" eats CS alive.

Not surprised by your picks at all, but if you want a song with M talking about her sexual prowess (well, more or less) over a funky beat, "Erotica" eats CS alive.

In terms of kinkiness, funkiness, and attitude, they're two peas-in-a-pod really. Madonna would agree;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxpaJQ89zBY

DITA & M-DOLLA UNITED. :wow:

I like MDNA, but I got tired of it pretty quickly. It's not a bad album (I don't think Madonna has ever done a bad album), it's just that the songs were very simple. The only exception to that, of course, is Gang Bang. The album wasn't even out a full week, and I already felt like I was listening to it for ages.

Hard Candy, on the other hand, is a much stronger collection of songs (at least to me). While I was disappointed with the direction she took after it first came out (it seemed like a huge step downward after the masterpiece of COADF), I found a new appreciation for it after MDNA came out.

So, I guess I prefer Hard Candy. I will say, though, both Hard Candy and MDNA haven't been able to reach the level of COADF for me. I hope I love her new album as much as that one.

Agree with some of your comments. :yes: HC & MDNA are in my top four favorites from M & I listened to both albums million of times, but these two albums were a step down from her previous releases. Starting with Erotica, I was never disappointed until HC was released. I learned to love HC, saw S & S twice, but I had to lower my expectations for the entire era. I think MDNA was a major step in the right direction, but the album had not so great singles choices. poor lyrics on certain tracks, & some disappointing videos.

Even with the noticeable flaws during both HC & MDNA eras, M still kicked major ass! She proved that she's capable of offering the public, quality new music & creative concert performances :excl:

^ :lmao:

Curious why you hate hate hate hate hate GI2M. Doesn't seem like the kind of song that generates much hate from fans.

I hate the overproduced vocals. They sound robotic and Britney-esque.

I also don't like the production. It reminds me of a bad karaoke backing track.

My religion is Hard Candy, but I'll entertain the idea of ranking the 2 albums.

4 Minutes v. GangBang -the greatest Madonna single of 2000's featuring none other than my boyfriend JT? No competetion.

GI2M v. Addicted -this was tough. I love both but I gotta give it to GI2M for the 'get stupid' breakdown alone. It's everything.

Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio -anything is better than TURT TBQH. No contest.

Miles Away v. Gimme All Ur Luv -the acoustic guitar makes MA all the more special. And she sounds so pretty.

Shes Not Me v. Some Girls -two of my favorite Bitchdonna tracks. SNM has a little more 'edge' to it.

Incredible v. Superstar -is there even a question?

Beat Goes On v. IDGAF -This is the one time I'll ever say this, but Kanye trumped Nicki Minaj.

Dance 2Nite v. I'm A Sinner -quite possibly the best Madonna bridge ever: "you just gotta get, more, more, MOOOORE!!!"

Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent -Love both, but SL makes me dance like that Doli Doli interlude girl on S&S.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece -Again, I LOVE both songs, but the piano bits in DWRY are heavenly.

Voices v. Falling Free -FF is the most gorgeous Madonna ballad ever & a musical gem. Makes me weep like a child.

HC-11

MDNA-1

It may not look it, but I love both albums. I really do :rotfl:

THIS.

I love some songs on MDNA, but the album feels like a rehash of all her past songs. Nothing new except for Gang Bang, Love Spent & I Fucked Up.

With HC the overall sound is very refreshing after the electro albums from ROL to COADF. HC still blows me away every time I listen to it.

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild. - Both are average but I choose CS. GGW was a missed oportunity. Great intro for such a generic and dreadful song.

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang. - Love 4 Minutes, but GB is a great refresh.

Give It 2 Me v. I'm Addicted - Funkydonna. What she does best. :wow:

Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio Everytime I listen to Hearbeat I just cringe and reminds me of the demo. :doodlemanson:

Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin. Neither of them.

She's Not Me v. Some Girls. She's Not Me all the way. SG is way overproduced and hate the vocals.

Incredible v. Superstar. Incredible of course. Tired of songs about licking love and getting passwords

Beat Goes On v. I Don't Give A - IDGA should've been a single.

Dance 2Night v. I'm a Sinner. Same Orbit formula, but takes the cake over the lazyness of Dance 2morrow.

Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent - Wrong spanish lesson overall, but it works for me.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You vs. Masterpiece. Neither of them.

Voices v. Falling Free - Voices was a big mess. Vocals, production, everything.

Hard Candy: 5

MDNA: 5

Candy Shop

Gang Bang

Give It 2 Me

Heartbeat

Miles Away

She's Not Me

Incredible

I Don't Give A

I'm a Sinner

Love Spent

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Falling Free

HC : 7

MDMA : 5

Guest SecretGarden

Both have their pros and cons, Hard Candy is more cohesive but she sounds as if she were a guest star on her own album. While MDNA suffers from too many producers, it's best songs are amongst the best she's recorded in years, in my opinion.

I pick MDNA because I listen to it more.

I will say this though, there is a trend of people who always dislike whatever Madonna's latest album is (Hard Candy was trashed by many before MDNA was released), so I'm sure in a few years MDNA will be appreciated more. MDNA's reception was pretty good when it was first released; only when it started to "underperform" many fans, unsurprisingly, began to dislike it and now prefer Hard Candy.

Candy Shop vs. Girl Gone Wild

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang

Incredible v. Superstar

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You vs. Masterpiece

Voices v. Falling Free

MDNA : 4

HC : 8

but...

when it comes out HC wasnt really interesting for me.....and it always happen with each album they grow with years

\-exept ROL/AL = they were from the start very good for my ear

nowdays i listen a lot HC and i like it a lot....probably with next album i will prefer mdna and so on

Guest Rachelle of London

Candy Shop

4 minutes

I'm addicted (soooo hard)

Turn up the radio

Miles Away

She's not me

INCREDIBLE

Beat goes on

I'm a sinner

Spanish lesson

Masterpiece

Voices

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang
GI2M v. I'm Addicted - I'm Addicted is like, my least fav Madonna song since I'm So Stupid
Shes Not Me v. Some Girls
Incredible v. Superstar
Beat Goes On v. IDGA
Dance 2Nite v. I'm A Sinner
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece
Voices v. Falling Free

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang

Heartbeat v. Turn Up the Radio

Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin'

Incredible v. Superstar

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece

Voices v. Falling Free

HARD CANDY = 2

MDNA = 10

no contest....

i just don't like one song from mdna. the only great fault for me, but maybe it's a problem of my ears...., some days ago i've listened to mdna in a very good hi-fi, not just on some pc and, while i'm not really a music expert, in almost all songs her voice seemd almost drowned by the music...don't know if it's just in my head or if there's some fault in the mixing or mastering or whatever else....

Guest PRPapi

"I'm Addicted is like, my least fav Madonna song since I'm So Stupid" :-0 BLASPHEMY!

Sorry you feel that way. It's one of my most favorite M songs EVER!

It was hard to compare such DIFFERENT albums (cuz, really, they couldn't be any more different - apples v. oranges!), but, here goes:

Candy Shop v. Girl Gone Wild - Super hard to choose. I like 'em both, but they both have a cheese factor to them. GGW is less cheesy, though.

4 Minutes v. Gang Bang - They're so different from each other, but both so great. 4 Minutes wins, though.
GI2M v. I'm Addicted - Again, I'm Addicted is one of my most fave M tracks EVER! Perfection!
Heartbeat v. Turn Up The Radio - Both cheesy, but I like Turn Up The Radio better - has a light, free, escapeist feel to it that I love.
Miles Away v. Give Me All Your Luvin - Couldn't be any more different, but I pick Miles Away.
Shes' Not Me v. Some Girls - Some Girls SUCKS! Wow, that's a bad song. She's Not Me is INCREDIBLE. Wins, hands down.
Incredible v. Superstar - Both are HORRENDOUS songs. A tie.
Beat Goes On v. IDGA - Like IDGA, but BGO is, also, one of my most favorite M songs EVER!
Dance 2Nite v. I'm A Sinner - I'm A Sinner
Spanish Lesson v. Love Spent - They shouldn't even me mentioned together! Spanish Lesson is a lesson on how NOT to write a song, while LS is MASTERFUL!
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You v. Masterpiece - Both good, but DWRY is a far better song.
Voices v. Falling Free - This was, also, a hard one. But, I pick Voices. Although I like FF, it got old to me...quick.

Hard Candy - 6

MDNA - 5

Tie - 1

BUT, I absolutely LOVE Best Friend and I Fucked Up. So, that HAS to count for something! That brings MDNA's total to 7 vs. Hard Candy's 6. MDNA wins by a hair!