Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

Agreed. GB itself may not have been a smash hit, but it's edginess combined with a stellar video would have garnered more interest, and perhaps respect for the album. GMAYL did not represent the album well, some people may have heard it and assumed the full album was much of the same so they never bothered to check it out further.

But equally, people may have heard Gang Bang and assumed that Madonna had 'lost the plot', and was 'desperate' to create a controversy. And GB doesn't better represent the album any more than GAYL so if anyone was tempted to buy it because of that song, they'd have ended up being disappointed.

for me, madonna is about taking risks

and to me, MDNA, was not risky. It would have been risky if she released Gang Bang or changed the first single when it was leaked. But she played it safe because she was thinking about radio - she even mentioned radio wouldnt play Gang Bang if released - which is kind of out of touch for her.

and to me, MDNA, was not risky. It would have been risky if she released Gang Bang or changed the first single when it was leaked. But she played it safe because she was thinking about radio - she even mentioned radio wouldnt play Gang Bang if released - which is kind of out of touch for her.

I absolutely agree and this is the point I've been trying to make. Hard Candy and MDNA both played it safe. Even Confessions was relatively safe. Her musical risk taking halted after AL. My opinion is that she will gain a bit more public interest when she allows herself to be creatively free (as I am hoping with the new album) and stops concerning herself with hits and radio airplay. A song and video about shooting her lover in the head is still more mature and interesting than a lackluster Hey Mickey/cheerleader diddy.

It's a shame she doesn't want to take the same musical risks she once did.

The music press always raved about her surprise lead singles.....but nowerdays she's become predictable....something never associated with her for her first 20years!

That said Madonna can never be underestimated, and I have faith that this album will offer some surprises.....I'm loving the fact unapologetic bitch rumoured to have a reggae flavour, something she's never done before!

Yeah, but the genius of Madonna is mixing the commercial with the slightly leftfield. Songs like Frozen and Music were given interesting production treatments that lent them a fresh sound but, at their heart, they were still strong songs, in a way that Gang Bang simply wasn't.

Remember when Aphex Twin wanted Madonna to do an impression of a pig on a track? Well, that would have been 'experimental' and 'risky' too but, wisely, she declined.

That said Madonna can never be underestimated, and I have faith that this album will offer some surprises.....I'm loving the fact unapologetic bitch rumoured to have a reggae flavour, something she's never done before!

Why's It's So Hard was heavily inspired by reggae.

It's a shame she doesn't want to take the same musical risks she once did.

The music press always raved about her surprise lead singles.....but nowerdays she's become predictable....something never associated with her for her first 20years!

Madonna herself admitted, though, that she's "terrible" at choosing lead singles, and usually ends up being overruled by those around her. For example, she wanted to release "Bedtime Story" as the lead single from "Bedtime Stories" (but the idea was nixed), and she also wanted to release "Ray of Light" as the first single, rather than "Frozen" (Molly Meldrum commented that releasing "Frozen" as the lead single was a "bold move" - Madonna questioned that and explained that she wanted to release ROL, but she was told that it was too much of a departure from her earlier material, whereas "Frozen" was a good bridge between her earlier material and the more electronic sound she had adopted. "Frozen" was the clear favourite for the lead single when the album was previewed for all of the Warner execs from around the world in late 1997). For HC, she wanted to release "Candy Shop" as the lead single. Martin Solvieg was really surprised that GMAYL had been chosen as the lead single from MDNA (note that by MDNA, Madonna had more control over what was being released than she had with Warners in terms of lead singles etc., although once she was confirmed for the Superbowl, it probably became obvious to everyone involved that GMAYL was the logical choice).

So, in a nutshell, those lead singles that the music press raved about weren't actually Madonna's choices....

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Remember when Aphex Twin wanted Madonna to do an impression of a pig on a track? Well, that would have been 'experimental' and 'risky' too but, wisely, she declined.

she should have accepted as long as he agreed to dress up as a dirty pig and feature in her next music video.

she should have accepted as long as he agreed to dress up as a dirty pig and feature in her next music video.

I never saw the context he said this, but just reading that quote, it's awfully nasty and bordering on misogynist.

Madonna herself admitted, though, that she's "terrible" at choosing lead singles, and usually ends up being overruled by those around her. For example, she wanted to release "Bedtime Story" as the lead single from "Bedtime Stories" (but the idea was nixed), and she also wanted to release "Ray of Light" as the first single, rather than "Frozen" (Molly Meldrum commented that releasing "Frozen" as the lead single was a "bold move" - Madonna questioned that and explained that she wanted to release ROL, but she was told that it was too much of a departure from her earlier material, whereas "Frozen" was a good bridge between her earlier material and the more electronic sound she had adopted. "Frozen" was the clear favourite for the lead single when the album was previewed for all of the Warner execs from around the world in late 1997). For HC, she wanted to release "Candy Shop" as the lead single. Martin Solvieg was really surprised that GMAYL had been chosen as the lead single from MDNA (note that by MDNA, Madonna had more control over what was being released than she had with Warners in terms of lead singles etc., although once she was confirmed for the Superbowl, it probably became obvious to everyone involved that GMAYL was the logical choice).

So, in a nutshell, those lead singles that the music press raved about weren't actually Madonna's choices....

Great post with some brilliant points!

Noweverdays Madonnas lead singles have never been more IMPORTANT than ever before!

She doesn't release the amount of singles she used too or promote them like she used too, so the general public only really get 1song to represent a "new madonna album" with.

That's why GMAYL was such a disappointment....and there was no clawring back.....I suspect with the new album there will be a big push on her lead single which will lead Into the tour...

So it's vital the correc one is picked.

Radio is the states won't play her anyways, so why try and be overly commercial?

She mayse well release something more interesting and diverse....in the rest if the world she still continues to be a musical chart force, but she's gone far to the other direction.....

But Madonna did have the power of Warners to help direct her in lead single choices, now she doesn't have there backing, she can easily make the wrong choice, and I think LiveNation are mostly "yes men" wen it comes to her music....and I doubt Interscope have half the influence over her music than Warners did for 25years!

But I remain open minded, Madonna always has done the unexpected before.

I care more about how successful the album is going to be.

But the first single influences whether people will be willing to check out the whole album and how successful it will be.So picking the right one is very important. American Life is a perfect example. A lot of people didn't like AL the song so they totally missed out on a lot of great songs on the rest of the album which to me are a lot better.

Did Madonna ever say she was "terrible" at picking lead singles? I seem to remember that she said sometimes she has a strong opinion and other times she relies on other people to pick it. Maybe she said both, but I'm guessing the latter is more accurate.

It sounds like there are a couple of standout tracks that she really likes on the new album, so we'll see what happens.

I get that but the musical landscape changed, too. You don't need a hummable tune anymore to get a hit (sadly). Harley Shake, for example. lol

I'm not saying Gang Bang would have been a smash hit for her…probably not. But it would have garnered interest and attention and maybe it would have been surprise hit, who knows...

Nobody remembers Harlem Shake. It was a non-hit hit in my opinion. Some songs that charter lower than that are more memorable.

But the first single influences whether people will be willing to check out the whole album and how successful it will be.So picking the right one is very important. American Life is a perfect example. A lot of people didn't like AL the song so they totally missed out on a lot of great songs on the rest of the album which to me are a lot better.

Great point. Plus, the Iraq War starting around the same time didn't help. :newspaper:

However, I do like the American Life song, the Reinvention tour version changed my mind!

Nobody remembers Harlem Shake. It was a non-hit hit in my opinion. Some songs that charter lower than that are more memorable.

I'm sure plenty of people would remember the phenomenon, though. It was YouTube that got it to #1 in the US (thanks to the newly introduced streaming data). People might not know the name of the song, but if you mentioned the phenomenon to them, they'd know what you were talking about. Of course, this doesn't make for a memorable song by any stretch of the imagination, and it was extremely lucky that someone decided to make use of it the way they did, but it still made a big splash and can't be written off as a "non-hit".

The guy behind Aphex Twin (Richard James) said that the ONLY way he would work with Madonna is if she "got on her knees in the studio while I recorded her making pig sounds". According to him, Madonna "was begging" to work with him. He even refused to do a remix to one of her songs.

Then again, Bjork wanted to work with him as well and he turned her down.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i wish for another no. 1 single... but seemed out of reach...

she hasn't had a no. 1 hit in 14 years.... what a drought...

anyway, radio won't be playing much of her stuff due to AGE...

the strongest contender was 4 minutes but that didn't make it as well...

so kinda dejected and disappointed so far... but i wouldn't write her off (just now yet...)

the UNLUCKY 13... when is it coming?

Other than wanting "Candy Shop" to lead "Hard Candy," none of this sounds familiar. Links?

Pretty sure she credited Rabbi Yardeni (her then-spiritual mentor) with picking "Frozen" as the lead single on the VH1 special she did with Rupert Everett in 1998.

can we just stop to talk about airing on radio since radio is really out of date today. even bars dont play radio anymore.

if M doesent know that pls tell her.

khm....

diplo said first single is done so i guess it was chosen and made to be first single durring making. not after listening all songs.

obviously it will not present new album since we know there are many diferent colaborators and sounds from regge to pianos or whatsoever. Mesiah and Living for love and somewhat Bitch doesent seem like samesounding track. so i think it will be again a collage like MDNA was. hope stronger and better.

general public needs to be cought into the web of catchy tunes but also they need to relate to the lyrics is some way. if its going to be a hit it will couse of strong infrastructure that will push single everywhere and everybody will be brainwashed by it like it happened with HU or F or M or 4M.

i m not sure do i like it when i m not able not to hear first single of her evrywhere from mall to club

Other than wanting "Candy Shop" to lead "Hard Candy," none of this sounds familiar. Links?

Pretty sure she credited Rabbi Yardeni (her then-spiritual mentor) with picking "Frozen" as the lead single on the VH1 special she did with Rupert Everett in 1998.

Nope - sorry. I've tried to find the 1998 interview with Molly Meldrum on YouTube but it's not there (I have it on VHS somewhere, but I no longer have a VHS player). I transcribed the interview and posted it to the old Madonna Mailing List 16 years ago, but that was about a dozen hard drives ago, so I don't have the transcription, either. I'm not making any of it up, though :) She definitely said that she wanted to go with ROL, but the record execs wanted "Frozen", as they felt it was a good bridge between "old" Madonna and "new" Madonna. I also remember this being reported on the Madonna Mailing List, as well.

i can confirm debate about FROZEN - RAY OF LIGHT but in a opposite way.

i read that WB wanted ROL to be a first single and she insist it to be FROZEN even they didnt believe in ballad as a first single.

now. i didnt watch it in some interview but read in some article. so easily it can be misinterpreted.

The new single a sure fire top 10?

YES here in UK and all across Europe....if it's Hung Up quality, then she will have another number1 on her hands across the world.

America no. After GMAYL scrapped the top ten if it's not the same quality as 4minutes and Hung Up she COULD miss the Billboard top10.

I'm VERY confident the frst single will be a great song.....and result in another number1 for her.