Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

Katy Perry is just repeating the same formula of Teenage Dream with Prism. It worked brilliantly with Teenage Dream so she's pretty much re hashing the same thing.There's nothing different or new in Prism.. She's clearly thriving in the public response but the real challenge will be when she releases her next album. People won't want to listen to the same kind of tunes in 2 years.

i don't classify Katy Perry as a mature artist at this point in her career but i do believe she's got it in her.. she just needs to have a better and more personal vision artistically and take risks.

I disagree. Half of Prism is more mature songs compared to TD. It's just that the singles are back to her old kooky image. I guess she chickened out after Unconditionally flopped.

I just received this on twitter:

10300644_889184827773759_179574571916805

How depressing.

Anyway at this point, with Madonna having been chart-anathema in the US for years, the performance of M's new material outside the US will decide the state of her music career.

The whole music industry today is depressing. Long gone the real superstars, just wannabes and fast food music. No culture or substance in music today. God I sound depressing. Im glad I experience music when there was no internet. I live for those days again where a number 1 or a top 40 meant something! Stars were untouchable.

Sorry for being depressing.

fast food music

thank you for this description :D

if pop is fast food...then madonna is McDonalds hahahah

no seriously....only M junk food i can eat (GMAYL kind of french fries- if anyone else put out this song i would never play it)

You can choose not to eat the fast food. Without the Internet, I wouldn't discover the artists I listen to now and they're not radio darlings. It just cannot be helped that some listeners are just casual listeners. They accept whatever fast food is served to them.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yeah I know. Why on earth was it released on the Friday? The snippet could've been on American Idol on the Thursday, the video could've been released over the weekend and then the single out Monday. That was strange

thank you for this description :D

if pop is fast food...then madonna is McDonalds hahahah

I would hardly call Madonna's top tens junk food. Those songs were hits on their own merits. Not because we had to support our fave.

People put these pop princesses of whom I am sick of on pedestals and talk of knowing Katy Perry has it in her to be a mature artist? You know women do have a

choice in how they choose to express themselves. They don't have to dig that deep to come up with the goods. Katy Perry and others know exactly what they are doing and if Katy Perry is a true artist she'll create music to impress herself not her fans.

The criticism of these women for releasing "junk food" should be on the same level as the criticism towards anyone else you feel has released "junk food."

If anyone is McDonalds, look around at the pop princesses and take your pick.

You can't support McDonalds everyday and then complain and criticise when your fine dining restaurant starts putting fries on the menu. The most annoying thing about the pop princesses is the hypocrisy of the fans.

you missed my joke...

That's quite possible. I apologize. Some things get on my nerves so much that I can't even joke about them. It's also hard when so many don't even know when Madonna or other women are having a laugh.

I think there's a place for junk food and fine dining in both restaurants and music. I enjoy both depending on the mood I'm in. But too much of either is not good for you so I try to keep it balanced. But I do think that now yes, you can find deeper more artistic music on the Internet, but a lot of it only gets exposed to a very small group of people so it doesn't really have that much impact. I do think back in the 80's and the 90's on the radio there was more a balance of fast food fun music and deeper artistic music, so more artistic music had a broader impact.

I think there's a place for junk food and fine dining in both restaurants and music. I enjoy both depending on the mood I'm in. But too much of either is not good for you so I try to keep it balanced.

Well I don't agree that there should be a balance in this case. Even Madonna's "fun" music has had meaning for me and a thought attached to it so quality is what most expect from her.

But I do think that now yes, you can find deeper more artistic music on the Internet, but a lot of it only gets exposed to a very small group of people so it doesn't really have that much impact. I do think back in the 80's and the 90's on the radio there was more a balance of fast food fun music and deeper artistic music, so more artistic music had a broader impact.

I do agree there was more of a balance of "fun" music that was also thoughtful and deeper artistic music in the 80's and 90's.

• 2 months later...

This is why I hope she picks a more serious, beautiful tune as her first single, but make a buzzworthy video. I am sure she can get a top 40, but let momentum take it higher if it is bound to happen. Radio is not to be depended on.

I'd rather a beautiful single/video than some forgotten top ten. I mean, yes, top ten is nice but who cares when it was a song like "Give me all your lovin" lol

US radio will not play not play her new material, but as mentioned, radio is no longer the sole avenue to chart success. Madonna is the master at causing a buzz for even the most minute things, just look at how many times she has made headlines with her Instagram posts. A good, solid track with a worthwhile video and she could really get a social media surge that would translate into high digital sales, etc. I have always imagined that had she released Gang Bang as the lead single for MDNA with the kick-ass video she had hoped to make for it that things would have unfolded far differently. A non-radio friendly, but incredibly unique and edgy track could have garnered a far better public interest than what the pretty dismal GMAYL did.

This is why I hope she picks a more serious, beautiful tune as her first single, but make a buzzworthy video. I am sure she can get a top 40, but let momentum take it higher if it is bound to happen. Radio is not to be depended on.

I'd rather a beautiful single/video than some forgotten top ten. I mean, yes, top ten is nice but who cares when it was a song like "Give me all your lovin" lol

I agree 100%

US radio will not play not play her new material, but as mentioned, radio is no longer the sole avenue to chart success. Madonna is the master at causing a buzz for even the most minute things, just look at how many times she has made headlines with her Instagram posts. A good, solid track with a worthwhile video and she could really get a social media surge that would translate into high digital sales, etc. I have always imagined that had she released Gang Bang as the lead single for MDNA with the kick-ass video she had hoped to make for it that things would have unfolded far differently. A non-radio friendly, but incredibly unique and edgy track could have garnered a far better public interest than what the pretty dismal GMAYL did.

Try though I have, I will never understand those who claim that Gang Bang would have been a smart single choice. People - the record buying public - want strong tunes and melodies that they can sing along to from Madonna, not 'edgy' club tracks; save those for the remixes. That's not to say I think GMAYL was a wise move either, but I think things would have been even worse had she gone with Gang Bang.

Try though I have, I will never understand those who claim that Gang Bang would have been a smart single choice. People - the record buying public - want strong tunes and melodies that they can sing along to from Madonna, not 'edgy' club tracks; save those for the remixes. That's not to say I think GMAYL was a wise move either, but I think things would have been even worse had she gone with Gang Bang.

I don't agree with that. Sure, the record buying public loves Madonna because of her incredible discography of catchy hits but most people also know that Madonna loves to surprise with a new sound every now and then. That's why she is the queen.

One could argue that songs like Justify My Love, Erotica, Frozen or Music didn't really sound like most of the stuff on the radio at that time but Madonna still decided to release it as the first single to test the waters. It was brave. Gang Bang would have been a brave choice, too, even though it would have been a risky move.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

yes but she could have released GB as a preview single, with a weird video, at the very least to garner public attention. And then, BAM, release GMAYL and... well ... :unsure:

I don't agree with that. Sure, the record buying public loves Madonna because of her incredible discography of catchy hits but most people also know that Madonna loves to surprise with a new sound every now and then. That's why she is the queen.

One could argue that songs like Justify My Love, Erotica, Frozen or Music didn't really sound like most of the stuff on the radio at that time but Madonna still decided to release it as the first single to test the waters. It was brave. Gang Bang would have been a brave choice, too, even though it would have been a risky move.

But all of those, with the exception of Justify My Love which was released during the absolute peak of Madonnamania, were still pretty hummable tunes. Yes, they were a different sound both for her and her contemporaries but they still had a hook which lended them a commercial appeal as well themes that people could relate to. Gang Bang, from a music and lyric perspective, simply doesn't have the same appeal.

But all of those, with the exception of Justify My Love which was released during the absolute peak of Madonnamania, were still pretty hummable tunes. Yes, they were a different sound both for her and her contemporaries but they still had a hook which lended them a commercial appeal as well themes that people could relate to. Gang Bang, from a music and lyric perspective, simply doesn't have the same appeal.

I get that but the musical landscape changed, too. You don't need a hummable tune anymore to get a hit (sadly). Harley Shake, for example. lol

I'm not saying Gang Bang would have been a smash hit for her…probably not. But it would have garnered interest and attention and maybe it would have been surprise hit, who knows...

I get that but the musical landscape changed, too. You don't need a hummable tune anymore to get a hit (sadly). Harley Shake, for example. lol

I'm not saying Gang Bang would have been a smash hit for her…probably not. But it would have garnered interest and attention and maybe it would have been surprise hit, who knows...

Harlem Shake was a novelty hit by nobodies. Madonna's a pop icon with a 30 year history. The expectation with her are completely different. Hung Up was such a smash because she played to her strengths and was what the public expects from her; a dance floor stormer than everyone from kids to grannies can connect with. A tune free track about shooting an ex lover in the head would have ended up just alienating the very people she needed to get on side.

Agreed. GB itself may not have been a smash hit, but it's edginess combined with a stellar video would have garnered more interest, and perhaps respect for the album. GMAYL did not represent the album well, some people may have heard it and assumed the full album was much of the same so they never bothered to check it out further.