Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

Because no one is invincible? I personally wasn't surprised because "Dark Horse" was still high on the iTunes sales chart and "Roar" was still a Top 5 radio hit. It was obvious what people wanted to hear/buy next. And "Unconditionally" wasn't it. I don't think it's a bad song, but the minute I heard it, I thought "Wow, this doesn't sound like a hit." Did I think it would do better? Actually, yes, just based on her track record, but was it a "massive surprise" that it didn't crack the Top 10? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Again....for you! I think for chart watchers in general, it was a shock. It was the first single released since she became a massive success to miss the Top 10. It was as much a shock as "Oh Father" missing the Top 10 in 1989 after 17 consecutive Top 10 singles. Whether you personally were shocked or not is irrelevant (no offence!). Katy, her record company and pretty much most chart watchers would have been expecting another big hit.

It really is! That performance brought so much life to the song! :wow:

yeah all the people singing with her.. the audience shots... M looking so happy.. it's everyTHANG

So jealous tbh.

I still firmly believe she pointed at me from atop the train during I'm A Sinner. I was looning really hard and I like to believe she acknowledged that.

This is one of my favorite things I have read here :lmao:

TUTR was the straightforward, poppy Madonna track on MDNA- and it is rather forgettable stacked against her best material.

Anyhoo... her next single is a surefire top 10 hit- on the Club Play chart.

Again....for you! I think for chart watchers in general, it was a shock. It was the first single released since she became a massive success to miss the Top 10. It was as much a shock as "Oh Father" missing the Top 10 in 1989 after 17 consecutive Top 10 singles. Whether you personally were shocked or not is irrelevant (no offence!). Katy, her record company and pretty much most chart watchers would have been expecting another big hit.

Oh Father (even w/ it missing the top 10) still poops over almost every 'ballad' today that smashes (eg: Rihannas Stay, Take A Bow and almost every JT ballad lol). Just using them as a quick examples but there are endless others. For whatever the reason, at that time, OF just didn't click w/ radio and the public. I, and most now consider a classic M song (not just ballad). Objectively speaking, it didn't have the smooth lyrical flow and melody and instant iconic vibe/energy that Live To Tell had. I adore the production in both songs (very similar) but after LAP, EY and Cherish they had to put out a ballad. OF was clearly the most obviously choice. It just wasn't really pop friendly- more of a solid and fab. album tack.

if that´s true, good for DAvid Fincher (again)!!!!!!!! if only they shoot another video together again...

I'd die if that happens

Meh. I don't know anyone who thought "Unconditionally" was a smart follow-up to "Roar." Even people on here were scratching their heads. Again, shock is a strong word. No one was "shocked" ... except for you maybe?

I remember when I first heard it how basic it sounded and thought if this becomes a hit, she can make one out of anything.

Dark Horse and Birthday are weak too, though. IMO, Teenage Dream was a much stronger album.

I'd die if that happens

if that´s true, good for DAvid Fincher (again)!!!!!!!! if only they shoot another video together again...

perhaps one of her new…GIRLs will be eventually on the soundtrack of david's gone…ONE

Meh. I don't know anyone who thought "Unconditionally" was a smart follow-up to "Roar." Even people on here were scratching their heads. Again, shock is a strong word. No one was "shocked" ... except for you maybe?

Meh. Katy Perry handpicked "Unconditionally" herself as the second single, although as you don't know her personally, your statement still stands :p In any case, there is absolutely no way you can say that "no one was shocked", because you can't speak for everyone :thumbsup:

Meh. Katy Perry handpicked "Unconditionally" herself as the second single, although as you don't know her personally, your statement still stands :p In any case, there is absolutely no way you can say that "no one was shocked", because you can't speak for everyone :thumbsup:

eventhough I think Prism is a boring album (yes, Artpop is better than Prism, I said it!jajjaj), it has some moments that are ok.Undconditionally could have done better, but Roar was still at number one everywhere! and Birthday is the only song that I really like, the only one that could have been in her last album, IMO. It is suffereing from the same problem in the US, in the UK it seems that it´s doing better, at least the ariplay is huge in the UK. I don´t think birthday is done yet

Something called "Unapologetic Bitch" will not be a top ten

What about Unapologetic GURL?

Radio stations and part of the general public will make so much fun of her if the clean version is "Girl".

I'd rather have "Unapologetic B" as a censored version than "Unapologetic Girl". Someone has already said in another thread it that the censored version can be similar to I Don't Give A.

Guest RinoTheBouncer

I’m sure the first single is gonna be a Top 10 single, if not No.1. She always figures something out to draw grand promotion for the lead single but I’m not sure about the ones to come. Girl Gone Wild was a lot better than GMAYL and TUTR yet it didn’t chart well in the Billboard Top 100. Why? because nobody bothered promoting it. Not even a proper release on iTunes on a Monday, but rather a Friday where purchases can’t help it chart like Monday releases.

I was even surprised gmayl went top ten in the US for a week because it's so weak. GGW has a great dance beat, but it's even too generic for the masses.

Most fans seem to slam tutr, but I thought it was a good pop song & would've charted if it was released a couple of years earlier. The video did not help the song, M looked tired in it, & there was nothing fresh or interesting about it.

I notice that Katy Perry "flops" with more serious songs: Thinking of You, The One That Got Away (#2 but it's forgotten by the GP), Unconditionally.

Her next career challenge is to really transcend into a mature personality. She tries but it doesn't work.