Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

Two to three years ago, yes, but not any more. Katy's up to single #4 from "Prism" - singles 1 and 3 reached #1, but singles 2 and 4 didn't even reach the Top 10, so Katy's no longer the guaranteed smashmaker she was just a couple of years ago. While it's still early days for "Birthday", it's only #23 after six weeks, so it's definitely not going to be a #1 single. It's quite bizarre, really, because "Roar" and "Dark Horse" were massive, so the undeperformance of "Unconditionally" was a massive surprise and sticks out like a sore thumb in her chart record ("Birthday" will be an even bigger glitch).

Add Madonna to the equation and the sales she brings, i think that will be bigger than 3rd and 4th singles off Katy's album.

Edited by tonymarraffa

If true it's a surefire number one in the USA. :laugh:

Not sure about the #1 but it will sure irk the shit out of all the haters when they see her back in top 10 again. :chuckle:

How can a single by someone whose previous nine singles had all peaked in the Top 3 (seven at #1) failing to reach the Top 10 (let alone the Top 5) NOT be considered a "massive surprise"? I happen to think it's a great song (as opposed to your verdict of "boring"), so whose opinion is right - yours or mine? :)

Because no one is invincible? I personally wasn't surprised because "Dark Horse" was still high on the iTunes sales chart and "Roar" was still a Top 5 radio hit. It was obvious what people wanted to hear/buy next. And "Unconditionally" wasn't it. I don't think it's a bad song, but the minute I heard it, I thought "Wow, this doesn't sound like a hit." Did I think it would do better? Actually, yes, just based on her track record, but was it a "massive surprise" that it didn't crack the Top 10? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

One could have said the same about Oh Father back in 1989, that because of M's success the song was going to be a hit, and that didn't happen.

One could have said the same about Oh Father back in 1989, that because of M's success the song was going to be a hit, and that didn't happen.

It's still very bizarre that "Oh Father" was the song that ended the top 10 string of hits.

It's a great song and is definitely better than Unconditionially

It should have been a hit

Edited by Arnian

It's still very bizarre that "Oh Father" was the song that ended the top 10 string of hit.

It's a great song and is definitely better than Unconditionially

It should have been a hit

maybe it was too serious, too dark, for a lot of people? it´s weird that iut wasn´t a bigger hit, anyways.

maybe it was too serious, too dark, for a lot of people? it´s weird that iut wasn´t a bigger hit, anyways.

:cries:

I'm not really sure the reasoning behind why it wasn't a huge hit, especially following on the hugely successful footsteps of LaP, EY, and Cherish.

Maybe it was too slow at the time, but she had a huge hit with TUTBMP a few years later and it's just as slow of a song.

It's way too good to be associated with that record though, especially considering that Patrick Leonard said she sang it in one take.

OF is one of Madonna's greatest songs, period. However, it's not too hard to see why it wasn't a bigger hit. Aside from "Live to Tell," most of M's hits were more upbeat (both in terms of speed and tone). And "Crazy for You" was a love song. OF was simply not radio material. It was dark, about abuse, the melody was a little "off" during the chorus (in a good way). It's a testament to Madonna's popularity that it even reached #20 in the U.S. I'm sure if it had been a lead single, it would have done better, but fourth single? Not surprising.

OF is one of Madonna's greatest songs, period. However, it's not too hard to see why it wasn't a bigger hit. Aside from "Live to Tell," most of M's hits were more upbeat (both in terms of speed and tone). And "Crazy for You" was a love song. OF was simply not radio material. It was dark, about abuse, the melody was a little "off" during the chorus (in a good way). It's a testament to Madonna's popularity that it even reached #20 in the U.S. I'm sure if it had been a lead single, it would have done better, but fourth single? Not surprising.

Agree totally. O'h Father is magnificent, the video was haunting and beautiful but it was her fourth single from Like A Prayer. While I love this song, I also remember at the time, people being disturbed by the song meaning. It has become much more appreciated and loved now.

Indeed. OF also kinda gets lost in the shuffle, as a fourth single. But thank the heavens she released it.

I don't think her next release is a "surefire" top 10, but it's possible, depending on hype.

I remember David Fincher saying that she was mad at him (after the song underperformed on the charts) because he pushed her to shoot the video for that track.

Curious to know why. I can see why some hate GGW (the vocals, the lyrics), and I know why I dislike GMAYL, but why the hate for TUTR? At worst it's just boring, no?

I just don't like the melody, general direction or anything about it. Not even an Offir Nissim remix could save it, in my opinion. It's my least favorite M song, even below Revolver. Just bad, you know, right from the moment of inception. The minute she whipped her notebook out, the direction was bleh. She looked great in the video, though that too was insipid otherwise.

I just prefer to forget TUTR ever happened. Even when MDNA first dropped and she released that short megamix w/ GAYLUV, GGW and TUTR, I hated TUTR and hoped it wouldn't be a single.

Great live moment... I can't understand why on earth a madonna fan wouldn't like this song and this live moment... Such energy, such joy... and it sounds great with the guitar, it totally fits the song, and it's a great pop song...

AL sold around 450 000 units in France, more than anywhere else in the world as she said in one of her parisian concert during the RIT.

"Turn up the Radio" is one of the dullest, blandest songs she's ever recorded. And yes it's one of the weakest songs on MDNA. :thumbsdown:

Totally agree. There's something about it that's really cringe - like it wants to be anthemic but is too basic to reach for it. I prefer Hey You lol

Love turn up the radio during MDNA tour I sang to her "I wanna leave with a person JUST LIKE YOU" and pointed to her and before she sang the last chorus she looked at me, pointed and said "I would too"

Sorry about your luck!!!! Get your life queens

Love turn up the radio during MDNA tour I sang to her "I wanna leave with a person JUST LIKE YOU" and pointed to her and before she sang the last chorus she looked at me, pointed and said "I would too"

Sorry about your luck!!!! Get your life queens

So jealous tbh.

I still firmly believe she pointed at me from atop the train during I'm A Sinner. I was looning really hard and I like to believe she acknowledged that.