Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

Give it 2 Me would have tanked on US Radio. At least she got a decent seized #3 hit out of 4 Mins. That's better than nothing

It's just so unfair. There is a lot of real crap playing on US radios by young artists, and it's ok. But they wont play Madonna because she's "old". Considering her youthful appearance, legendary status and ambition, they could have made an exception for her!! Edited by Katypatra

It's just so unfair. There is a lot of real crap playing on US radios by young artists, and it's ok. But they wont play Madonna because she's "old". Considering her youthful appearance, legendary status and ambition, they could have made an exception for her!!

I don't think an exception should be made for Madonna and she doesn't need to have one made for her. Her music is good. Radio should support music regardless of the artist's age. Judge the music on it's own merits.

Do you think a woman in their fifties is "old"?

Give it 2 Me would have tanked on US Radio. At least she got a decent seized #3 hit out of 4 Mins. That's better than nothing

4 minutes is her longest running Top 10 hit in USA.

4 minutes is her longest running Top 10 hit in USA.

It's also her highest selling digital single and a bona fide global smash. For me it's also the best duet of her career (it's a proper duet and not a featuring track). I understand that some people may not like it but at least you have to admit that it was an excellent lead single, eventful and attention grabbing.

It's just so unfair. There is a lot of real crap playing on US radios by young artists, and it's ok. But they wont play Madonna because she's "old". Considering her youthful appearance, legendary status and ambition, they could have made an exception for her!!

I still think the biggest travesty of her career (at least in the US) is that Hung Up didnt go #1. Went #1 everywhere except for the US and Sorry also did well internationally. Other than Hung Up, Confessions barely even registered in the U.S.

That to me is still the biggest wtf moment from US Radio towards her. A bonafide world wide smash and they still didn't play her.

Things have never been the same since American Life in the US.

Edited by Arnian

Ok Ok, 4 minutes was a good lead single, I just feel like she didn't shine the way she should. And I agree about Hung Up, I still don't understand what kept it from being a top 5 at least, maybe the US radio boycott after American Life was real.

Edited by Macromad

Ok Ok, 4 minutes was a good lead single, I just feel like she didn't shine the way she should. And I agree about Hung Up, I still don't understand what kept it from being a top 5 at least, maybe the US radio boycott after American Life was real.

Yes it's real. Google it: Clear Channel ban Madonna

4 Minutes was gold. She should have kept it for 2nd single release, and go for another song as lead single. Beat goes on should've been 3rd.

Yes it's real. Google it: Clear Channel ban Madonna

How many times do we have to say there is no such thing? Do you have any receipts? Other radio companies did not support Hung Up much either. Have you heard what kind of music US pop radio played in 2005? 80% of the songs they have been playing today would have flopped in 2005 and the opposite. It was a completely different climate. Top20 on two formats, HOT AC and POP, was a great accomplishment under the circumstances.

Some of Hung Up's biggest supporters, like KBIG in LA, KTU in NY and Y100 in Miami are CC stations. CC was also producing her tours. Why would they ban their own artist.

4 Minutes was gold. She should have kept it for 2nd single release, and go for another song as lead single. Beat goes on should've been 3rd.

I've always thought the same. Save the Justin collab for the second single because the collab alone would driven interest and then a Madonna only lead single. I still think Devil is too good a song to have never been a single. Reworked a bit and it could have been the lead single then 4 Mins and Beat

There was no conspiracy. AL didn't connect. End of story. When you lose momentum at age 45 in an increasingly youth obsessed society, it's hard to regain footing. Radio didn't drop AL.....they weren't playing it to begin with. HU was a "EDM" song released in a time when radio was dominated by hip-hop/R&B, so that was always going to struggle. Then of course we have 4M which fit perfectly with what was happening on top 40 and it's performance reflected that.....obviously Justin's involvement didn't hurt either. As much as some say her age doesn't matter, at 56 it's going to be an uphill battle for radio to play her.

How many times do we have to say there is no such thing? Do you have any receipts? Other radio companies did not support Hung Up much either. Have you heard what kind of music US pop radio played in 2005? 80% of the songs they have been playing today would have flopped in 2005 and the opposite. It was a completely different climate. Top20 on two formats, HOT AC and POP, was a great accomplishment under the circumstances.

Some of Hung Up's biggest supporters, like KBIG in LA, KTU in NY and Y100 in Miami are CC stations. CC was also producing her tours. Why would they ban their own artist.

+1.

There was no conspiracy. AL didn't connect. End of story. When you lose momentum at age 45 in an increasingly youth obsessed society, it's hard to regain footing. Radio didn't drop AL.....they weren't playing it to begin with. HU was a "EDM" song released in a time when radio was dominated by hip-hop/R&B, so that was always going to struggle. Then of course we have 4M which fit perfectly with what was happening on top 40 and it's performance reflected that.....obviously Justin's involvement didn't hurt either. As much as some say her age doesn't matter, at 56 it's going to be an uphill battle for radio to play her.

I think that's one strength that Avicii brings to the table. Radio may not want to play the song but with how successful he has been on streaming platforms, Madonna could easily make up for that with streaming and sales.

I hope so at least.

Edited by Arnian

I agree . During the time of Hung Up US Radio was very hip hip driven. I remembered reading an article where her then label WB said they were having a hard time getting her played on US radio because COTDF was a dance record.

This is the quote :

Warner Bros. was aware that the songs on "Confessions" could present challenges at mainstream top 40 radio, acknowledges Tom Biery, senior VP of promotions at Warner Bros. "Top 40 radio is so hip-hop-driven," he says. "We were coming in with a global pop star who made a dance record."

I think US radio just doesn't play Madonna because of her age. I mean how many other artists in their 40's they play?? Let alone in their 50's...

Madonna had major dance hits in the US charts. Vogue and Music were both played endlessly on US radio.. Ray Of Light had no problem being played in the US.. I mean even Die Another Day (an electronic smash) reached the top 10 and not that many Bond tunes reaches the top 10 in the US. I think Hung Up scored fairly well in the US all considering (wasn't it a major hit on TRL???). She surely paved the way for things to come but unfortunately her age is not doing her any favor which is rather silly as everybody ages.. i mean holding that against someone is idiotic and US (and maybe now even UK) radio should be ashamed!

Edited by MeakMaker

I agree . During the time of Hung Up US Radio was very hip hip driven. I remembered reading an article where her then label WB said they were having a hard time getting her played on US radio because COTDF was a dance record.

This is the quote :

Warner Bros. was aware that the songs on "Confessions" could present challenges at mainstream top 40 radio, acknowledges Tom Biery, senior VP of promotions at Warner Bros. "Top 40 radio is so hip-hop-driven," he says. "We were coming in with a global pop star who made a dance record."

Yeah this is all correct, the age/radio backlash think is totally overstated when it comes to "Hung Up" and COADF. Remember how Gwen's "What You Waiting For?" bombed in the same year before she followed it with the Eve featuring "Rich Girl" and Neptunes' "Holloback Girl" - dance music had no chance of going anywhere on US radio in 2002-2005.

And it wasn't just that "Hung Up" was dance, it was straight up disco - the most loathed and feared of all dance subgenres in the US. Even when "EDM" exploded in the US in the late 00s the music that dominated the charts has been mostly synth driven brostep - disco by and large is considered too gay for America.

Guest Norig

Am I one of the only fans who genuinely loves GMAYL? It's up there with my favorites on MDNA (Love Spent, I'm Addicted, I Don't Give A, I'm a Sinner). I absolutely love listening to it, and at the gym am usually hitting repeat on it.

But back to the topic at hand, I would hope that Madonna knows she doesn't need to follow a generic model to have a hit. Drunk in Love is a great case study, that she probably paid attention to. It rode the balance of being a highly accessible song, while being progressive and having some edge to it. I think she'd be blind not to see the success of that, countered with the failure of Gaga's singles, which were lackluster tunes attached to on-trend dance beats.

This!

GMAYL is a good song...it's better than lots of crap...I believe Madonna can achieve a Hit if it's a good song...it has to touch the heart. If it's bland pop than its iffy.

She needs a good heartfelt balled