Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

It won the grammy? Awesome. But Madonna was still banned by Clear Channel during COTDF. So her singles didn't play on major radio stations in US up until MDNA.

She was not banned by CC. Disco songs sung by middle-aged women were banned. And by banned I mean "not on trend." And major radio stations played the fuck out of 4M.

It obviously is. Remember when GMAYL leaked in november? It was a SMASH (I even heard it on the radio more than twice), and it obviously affected the official sales. She should just drop the 1st single with a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Madonna.com announcement once it drops on iTunes to help it spread a little faster than a leak would. That way you avoid leaks and the surprise factor will make it rise and rise on the charts.

It obviously is. Remember when GMAYL leaked in november? It was a SMASH (I even heard it on the radio more than twice), and it obviously affected the official sales. She should just drop the 1st single with a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Madonna.com announcement once it drops on iTunes to help it spread a little faster than a leak would. That way you avoid leaks and the surprise factor will make it rise and rise on the charts.

I agree.

Not her best single but it was fun. Should have been only with Superbowl and then the real 1st single of MDNA...

^ Well, that's sort of what happened, no? GGW was released before the album dropped.

No, I don't see it that way...

GMAYL should have been released in the end of 2011 to stick with the Superbowl, people would know the song in time for the performance. Small hit...

And then, the real 1st single of MDNA.

No, I don't see it that way...

GMAYL should have been released in the end of 2011 to stick with the Superbowl, people would know the song in time for the performance. Small hit...

And then, the real 1st single of MDNA.

Should've been I'm Addicted.

In reality, GMAYL should ve never been realised. After 4 years she needed a Frozen type of a song that really swept you off your feet... She delived her weakest first single ever after another horrible 1st single - 4 minutes. I hope the new single is haunting and beautiful...

^ Well, that's sort of what happened, no? GGW was released before the album dropped.

Yes! I think most of us forget because there little to no promo. The only thing I remember in the U.S. was that E! premiered the video and made a big deal about it. But Madonna didn't even introduce it. Oh, and maybe that ridiculous FB live interview and subsequent appearance at the Miami festival happened around that time, too? But again, no real promo of the single.

GMAYL >>>>>>>>>>> That piece of shit called "4 Minutes" imo

Signed.

In reality, GMAYL should ve never been realised. After 4 years she needed a Frozen type of a song that really swept you off your feet... She delived her weakest first single ever after another horrible 1st single - 4 minutes. I hope the new single is haunting and beautiful...

I agree. As fans we enjoyed GMAYL and MDNA to their fullest. I still play this album a lot. But like you said, after 4 years it just wasn't enough to get people hyped up about Madonna. The Super Bowl got many excited and pre orders for MDNA went up very high. But the album was a disappointment to many people and sales drastically dropped. I'm a huge Madonna fan and probably would never say these things in her presence. I think she worked hard on MDNA and she did an amazing job. But I know she can still do better and I think she is really putting all of herself into this new album. So I'm really thrilled about it!!

I agree. As fans we enjoyed GMAYL and MDNA to their fullest. I still play this album a lot. But like you said, after 4 years it just wasn't enough to get people hyped up about Madonna. The Super Bowl got many excited and pre orders for MDNA went up very high. But the album was a disappointment to many people and sales drastically dropped. I'm a huge Madonna fan and probably would never say these things in her presence. I think she worked hard on MDNA and she did an amazing job. But I know she can still do better and I think she is really putting all of herself into this new album. So I'm really thrilled about it!!

But she said she just recorded a bunch of tracks written for her by other people in that famous interview, didn't she?

But she said she just recorded a bunch of tracks written for her by other people in that famous interview, didn't she?

No she said something like music is easy to make now days, see what's popular, put your songs together. Ugh it's a beating around the bush me trying to remember what she said. If only I could find that damn interview. But I swear she said something like that and was hoping one of you guys would know what Im talking about. But none of you do :/

I m not disapointed in neither HC nor MDNA, simply in their lead singles, because nowadays only the 1st single of M is heard and known by the public (in general). Both songs misrepresented the albums and killed the interest in them for anyone apart from the fans. I think M became worse at choosing the right singles... Both HC and MDNA had much stronger songs than the singles. I dont think this was the case prior. For example COADF had weak videos, but the 4 singles were clearly the strongest tracks off Confessions.

I m not disapointed in neither HC nor MDNA, simply in their lead singles, because nowadays only the 1st single of M is heard and known by the public (in general). Both songs misrepresented the albums and killed the interest in them for anyone apart from the fans. I think M became worse at choosing the right singles... Both HC and MDNA had much stronger songs than the singles. I dont think this was the case prior. For example COADF had weak videos, but the 4 singles were clearly the strongest tracks off Confessions.

Do you think Love Spent would've been a good single? Im A Sinner would've been such a fun single. It would have made all the religious folks go ballistic lol

I agree that single choices were pretty bad in the last 2 eras, for me the albums would've done better if the singles had been:

Hard Candy:

1. Give It 2 Me. 4 Minutes shouldn't be a single, I still don't understand the lyrics and Madge vocals are pretty bad in that song.

2. Candy Shop

3. Miles Away or Devil

MDNA

1. I'm Addicted

2. Love Spent

3. Gang Bang or I'm A Sinner

4. Girl Gone Wild. Let's face it, this one is fun even with those awkward lyrics.

If Madonna chooses a really catchy and innovative song as the lead single and she opens up an award ceremony the single will surely reach the top 10.

4 minutes was a huge hit song.

It was a hit because it was the lead single, it had Justin Timberlake and was US radio friendly but IMO Give it 2 Me had a better melody, much better lyrics, better vocals and more interesting production, it could have reached higher than 4 minutes.

4 minutes was a huge hit song.

Everyone seems to forget about it, it's a really good song. Not a typical Madonna song, but still a great song.

It's cool to have it in her catalogue.

It was a hit because it was the lead single, it had Justin Timberlake and was US radio friendly but IMO Give it 2 Me had a better melody, much better lyrics, better vocals and more interesting production, it could have reached higher than 4 minutes.

Give it 2 Me would have tanked on US Radio. At least she got a decent seized #3 hit out of 4 Mins. That's better than nothing