Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

GMAYL was not a No. 10 hit because of the airplay promo. That lasted for three days, and the first-week Hot 100 placement was No. 13, for which it had 44 million audience and 115,000 sales. In the second week, airplay dropped to 20 million for the full seven days, and sales were 165,000. The next week, the Super-Bowl-souvenir of a track slid down the charts.

It would be great if M can snag another Hot 100 top 10, but it's going to be difficult. She's going to be 56 in August, after all.

How many times are people going to call songs cheap and generic ? Every second post at other Madonna forums waffle on about her cheap, generic songs and lack of passion all of the time. Maybe, people don't like certain songs but these constant over-used expressions are too much.

Thank you. I mean, it's like.....just shut the fuck up already. Generic/soulless="I don't like it". Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean Madonna was any less passionate recording TUTR than Vogue. For God sakes.....lol. I love that because of Madonna kinda keeping us semi informed during the recording process for the new album that people seem to think she's more passionate than she's been in years, expecting big things etc etc.....but truly, I haven't seen anything different than I've read she's done on past albums. The only difference is, she's posting about it as she goes along (to an extent). But hey, if seeing a pic of her writing in a studio and posting little "hashtags" that may be song titles gets a good buzz going then so be it. It's better than her fans creating a bad buzz before the album is even released.

Yes. If the song is good she will have. Madonna has some lows sometimes, but a big part of public really loves it when Madonna "comes back" full force. if she has a good song, she will have a good hit.

If she releases some so-so song like GGW or TUTR, then nope. But i think she's learned the lesson.

I always felt that the softness of the TUTR fit the song. The song had that peaceful yet dancey sound to it instead of the loud and proud on a roadtrip sound. I love it because of that. Madonna's voice on her upbeat songs doesn't always have to sound the same.The Instagramvideo was boring though. Poorly edited and shot uninteresting way. The only thing I liked in the InstaVideo was Adrien Galo. She should've just posted a 15 second version of the video on Instagram.

The live version was so much better but it was full of guitar so the atmosphere totally changed.

I agree with Kurt. Madonna wasn't that much on Instagram yet during the TUTR period so she wouldn't post anything about. I think it's a bit unfair to judge that she wasn't into the music just because she wasn't Instagramming during that time. Anyway, we're getting off topic. I am still not counting out Madonna on having another hit. If there's anyone who can prove the GP wrong, it's her. Don't waver the faith.

The airplay promo helped GMAYL, but let's not forget that it peaked at #6 on the sales chart.

So even in the case of GMAYL most of it's points were generated by single sales

Am I one of the only fans who genuinely loves GMAYL? It's up there with my favorites on MDNA (Love Spent, I'm Addicted, I Don't Give A, I'm a Sinner). I absolutely love listening to it, and at the gym am usually hitting repeat on it.

But back to the topic at hand, I would hope that Madonna knows she doesn't need to follow a generic model to have a hit. Drunk in Love is a great case study, that she probably paid attention to. It rode the balance of being a highly accessible song, while being progressive and having some edge to it. I think she'd be blind not to see the success of that, countered with the failure of Gaga's singles, which were lackluster tunes attached to on-trend dance beats.

I think if she promotes it and makes an interesting video and providing the song isnt shit, enough time has passed for people to want new Madonna music and make it a massive success. She needs to promote the album and 2 or 3 singles before starting the tour tho.

I don't think Madonna will have any problem scoring a Top 10 hit with the first single.The first singles from her albums always get alot of attention and airplay.As someone pointed out,if a mediocre song like GMAYL can make the Top 10,surely a stronger,more powerful first single can easily make the Top 10,as well.

GMAYL was a TOP10 mostly thanks to Superbowl hype.

Im not sure where her next single will chart without similar exposure.

The problem with TUTR is that it does not sound like a Madonna song to me. I know that many will disagree because a) there is no formula for THE Madonna song because she taps into all genres and b) it's a catchy dance song, so what is there not to like?

Well, first of all, it is soulless (as someone pointed out already). Both lyrics and melody are weak, especially the chorus. Then it does sound like an exact copy of Solveig's 'Hello'. I never understood why so many fans wanted it as the first or second single. Don't get me started on the horrible live version.

Even though Girl Gone Wild sounds more cheap and generic in nature, I prefer it to TUTR because of the classic Madonna intro and it's just more catchy and fun overall.

GGW she has granny voice, TUTR she has not.

GGW she has granny voice, TUTR she has not.

Turn Up the Radio is the worst vocal performance of Madonna's discography & is the lowpoint of an otherwise flawless album.

The video is GREAT though. Her breast :wow:

Turn Up the Radio is the worst vocal performance of Madonna's discography & is the lowpoint of an otherwise flawless album.

The video is GREAT though. Her breast :wow:

tumblr_m79d6bVuJn1qcsrrxo1_500.gif

no idea you liked MDNA

I don't think they ( her and her team) will repeat the same mistake as they did with MDNA's lead single. That cheerleaders fiasco completley killed the momentum and by all means was not the indicator of what the album sounded like. An edit of I'm addicted could've done wonders but it's pointless now.

We all know how large Madonna's ego is, she knows GMAYL was a dissapointment in terms of charts/sales. She will not miss the mark this time, I'm positive the lead single will smash worldwide and become as big as Hung up. Most likely #1 across Europe and a top 10 in the states. I'm sure that is definitely her goal here.

Am I one of the only fans who genuinely loves GMAYL? It's up there with my favorites on MDNA (Love Spent, I'm Addicted, I Don't Give A, I'm a Sinner). I absolutely love listening to it, and at the gym am usually hitting repeat on it.

But back to the topic at hand, I would hope that Madonna knows she doesn't need to follow a generic model to have a hit. Drunk in Love is a great case study, that she probably paid attention to. It rode the balance of being a highly accessible song, while being progressive and having some edge to it. I think she'd be blind not to see the success of that, countered with the failure of Gaga's singles, which were lackluster tunes attached to on-trend dance beats.

I love GMAYL too. The demo, the album version, the LMFAO remix and the Just Blaze/tour one. Sure, it's not as magnificent as her other lead singles but I don't find it appalling.

Ok those who say it's unfair to accuse Madonna for not putting effort into MDNA,did you guys know that Madonna herself said several times that music now days is a piece of cake? She said that all she did was selected songs and put her vocals unto them. So yes, it is fair to say that she didn't care much this time. It was evident. And as Madonna fans we felt it. She talked more about W.E. than she ever did about MDNA. As much as I love Madonna, I wont ignore this sad fact. Even William Orbit admitted that they were pressed in time and therefore didn't really put much soul into it.

With that being said, I really have a lot of faith that with "Rebel Heart" Madonna is doing something right. I kinda feel like we are going to be surprised with depth in lyrics and creativity in sound. I love American Life because it came from deep within her soul. Ray of Light too. Confessions was a great album. MDNA on the other hand has fun yet soulless songs. I do like Gang Bang, Im Addicted, Some Girls and Love Spent tho.

Ok those who say it's unfair to accuse Madonna for not putting effort into MDNA,did you guys know that Madonna herself said several times that music now days is a piece of cake? She said that all she did was selected songs and put her vocals unto them. So yes, it is fair to say that she didn't care much this time. It was evident. And as Madonna fans we felt it. She talked more about W.E. than she ever did about MDNA. As much as I love Madonna, I wont ignore this sad fact. Even William Orbit admitted that they were pressed in time and therefore didn't really put much soul into it.

Madonna never said that. Orbit actually said quite the opposite of what your saying. Yes, he did say they were pressed for time and he doesn't understand all the extra bullshit pop stars do, but he also said she was on form and better than ever with her singing, writing and musicality. He also said she was having a great time in the studio and that they had some "breathtaking" songs lined up. His gripes are more about the time spent on the promo of the album. Yes, she did do more traditional promo on WE because she's not an established, successful director yet so obviously it was important to her to let the public see that side of her. In fairness, she was kind of everywhere just before the release of MDNA......Golden Globes, Super Bowl, WE promo rounds. If anything, the album should've been released a little earlier to coincide with everything, maybe that Tuesday after the Super Bowl.

When has Madonna ever said that music is a piece of cake or that she just selected songs and put vocals on them ? OK, you don't like MDNA but that does not mean no effort was put into it. I happen to love it and sick to the back teeth of people continually trying to make Madonna seem like she does not care about her music. There are so many fantastic tracks on MDNA that Madonna co-wrote herself. Also, she played these songs on her tour so how can you seriously suggest she does not like them or care. You don't seem that impressed with MDNA - that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but that does not mean Madonna did not like it or put effort into it.

It's downright ridiculous how some of you not only twist the words of other posters but also try to defend every critical comment on Madonna, her voice, the sound or working method. We all love her here and while this discussion has nothing to do with her upcoming single anymore, I would only like to point out that it is absolutely OBVIOUS that M spent less time for the recording of MDNA than for her previous albums and if you can't see that, then I'm sorry for you. If some people don't like the production on GGW and think it sounds cheap, deal with it. Big deal. Jeezus

Erm, RECEIPTS? Which interviews exactly was that stated? :huh:

Look at Katy Perry. Have you guys listened to her album Prism? Pretty much every song on there could be a single. She has already 3 hit singles with great videos and plans on more. She will definitely have at least 5 singles. Last time Madonna had 5 singles was during Ray of Light era. I really hope Madonna does something amazing this time. Songs have to connect with people lyrically, must sound unique and creative. I always think back at Believe by Cher. She was in her 50s when that song became a huge hit. Madonna CAN pull it off. She just needs to really want it. She was lazy working on MDNA and it showed. I love Madonna and I think she wont just put her voice on tracks just to sell. I think this time she really digs deep down inside her creative soul.

Not once in her entire career has Madonna released an album where "pretty much every song" could be a single. Does this matter? No, it does not. There's barely an artist on the planet that releases an album where every track could be a successful single.

As for Cher, her record company worked their butt off to make "Believe" a hit. Radio didn't want to know about it, but ultimately, they had to give in when the public got behind it and started pushing for it to be played. Madonna doesn't have the traditional backing of a record company any more, so it's unlikely that she's going to receive the massive promotional push required to have a "Believe" type hit. Even Pharrell said just last week that he had to work really hard to get "Happy" played on US radio, because radio programmers didn't want to know about it. As it was, it took four months for the song to reach #1 in the US, even though it had been a smash worldwide since late 2013. This is a guy who was involved in two of the biggest hits of 2013. If radio programmers aren't interested in playing his brand new single, Madonna's got an uphill battle.

Of course, internationally, age isn't as much of an issue (except in Australia, where it is becoming increasingly so), so Madonna should be fine.

I'll add to the chorus of disagreement/discontent surrounding this particular post. You'll be hard pressed to find a single reputable source to back up your assertion that Madonna said that all she did was put her vocals on to pre-existing songs, and that's because she neither said this nor did it. William Orbit initially said that Madonna was on fire in the studio, and it was only after the album started dropping quickly that he changed his tune and complained that he felt that he didn't get to spend as much time in the studio with her as he had in the past, and that she had a lot of other stuff to deal with at the same time. Martin Solveig, on the other hand, was amazed by how hands on she was in the studio, and stated that they had a lot of time to work together and nothing seemed rushed. Your comment about "soul" is just your interpretation of William's comments - I don't recall anyone (other than disgruntled fans) stating that Madonna hadn't put much "soul" into MDNA.