Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

If anything, streaming does NOT help Madonna in my opinion. She is not very popular on streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, itunes radio, iheart radio etc..

In regards to youtube, it doesn't even count for 5% towards the hot100. You need record breaking US views to see a significant impact on the HOT100. And all have to be from different IPs. Refreshing the video over and over again does not count.

Madonna is a massive GLOBAL superstar. She needs a lead single the whole world can relate to. Not certain territories. That's always been the key to her success. It was almost impossible for any country other than the US and Canada to relate to a song and a video about US football. Especially non-English speaking countries. It's like expecting Americans and Canadians to relate to a song about soccer.

US chart system is dumb. While an artist can have high single downloads/sales but can't chart in the main billboard cause lack of radio play. The rest of the world only base their main chart on sales alone and that's how it should be.

^ exactly if Billboard did their Hot 100 based off of sales only, Madonna would have 15 #1 singles.

9 of them from 2000 and beyond

Pretty impressive

No wonder why Billboard named her the top single sales artist of the 2000s

No, nothing is surefire. Doesn't mean it won't.

But really who gives a fuck! There will be a new Madonna song in the world, the last thing I'll be thinking about is whether or not it's in the top 10.

It will all depend on her first single. If the quality is in the lines of 4 minutes or GMAYL, I dont think she ll be Top 40 and she wont be able to recover in EU. I hope with this album she starts choosing the best songs on her album as singles (like she did till COADF) and not some random songs she thinks would do great on the radio. She has to get that she is not Katy Perry. She is above that: see her singles pre HC. The worst thing is her best songs nowadays are simply non singles that no one apart from the hardcore audience hears.

I know. It benefitted because it folowed 4 great COADF singles and the Justin connection. But it was shit. Everything went down from there...

I know. It benefitted because it folowed 4 great COADF singles and the Justin connection. But it was shit. Everything went down from there...

I disagree. I think 4 Minutes was a great single, no wonder why it became such a worldwide hit.

Sure it doesn't represent M's pop, quite different but it's great music and it announced the RNB vibes of Hard Candy (great album to me).

GMAYL should have been a Superbowl single, and not the lead for the album.

Sure she can still have a top 10 hit, even a #1, but what is this depending on ?

-quality of the single

-promotion

-good-looking M's face

A surefire hit I believe would be a song that the general public can relate to and I think that is what the they want from Madonna. Madonna is the success she is because of her music and how her songs affect people in different ways. She allows the listener to create their own interpretation for the most part. GMAYL was a self indulgent song and even though I get a real kick out of it and love it, a string of GMAYLs is not going to produce hits from Madonna. It's not what the general public or her fans expect from her. They expect something that touches a nerve or makes them feel something and that many people can relate to in their own way.

anything could happen I think as a Madonna Fan I shouldn't take anything for granted the way music is now I would be happy with a top 20 especially after the poor chart performances in the UK with the whole MDNA era

If anything, streaming does NOT help Madonna in my opinion. She is not very popular on streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, itunes radio, iheart radio etc..

In regards to youtube, it doesn't even count for 5% towards the hot100. You need record breaking US views to see a significant impact on the HOT100. And all have to be from different IPs. Refreshing the video over and over again does not count.

Madonna is a massive GLOBAL superstar. She needs a lead single the whole world can relate to. Not certain territories. That's always been the key to her success. It was almost impossible for any country other than the US and Canada to relate to a song and a video about US football. Especially non-English speaking countries. It's like expecting Americans and Canadians to relate to a song about soccer.

In Madonna's defense on Spotify, streaming trends to a younger audience and if she releases popular good music again, then she will improve there. She just hasn't released something great and successful since Confessions.

If Spotify was around when Confessions dropped, then Hung Up would have had massive play counts and the album itself.

But know who was the top streaming artist on Spotify last year and who currently has the top streamed album in the world? Avicii

I'm convinced that his enormous success through streaming is one of the many reasons Madonna has chosen to work with him (besides just wanting to). Wake Me Up has twice as many plays as Roar on spotify.

Edited by Arnian

I think she's going to struggle to get hits from here on out regardless of what she releases. She was on "borrowed time" when she was 47-50 years old having massive hit singles. Seriously, what artists in their 50's have massive worlwide hits with every single? That's not to say she won't have some fluke hits here and there, but I think the age of Madonna having her lead single become a massive smash because it's MADONNA are done for the most part. I say that not based on quality of her recent singles, but because of the industry/market in general. Add to that, the fact that she's primarily a Live Nation artist, which is not a record company. Interscope is basically just distributing her material, they just aren't going to push her as WB did.

In Madonna's defense on Spotify, streaming trends to a younger audience and if she releases popular good music again, then she will improve there. She just hasn't released something great and successful since Confessions.

If Spotify was around when Confessions dropped, then Hung Up would have had massive play counts and the album itself.

But know who was the top streaming artist on Spotify last year and who currently has the top streamed album in the world? Avicii

I'm convinced that his enormous success through streaming is one of the many reasons Madonna has chosen to work with him (besides just wanting to). Wake Me Up has twice as many plays as Roar on spotify.

You're right. He's massive on all those streaming services.

Minaj was a horrible choice. It is impossible for songs with rap in them to become huge #1 hits in non-English speaking countries. One of the reasons why even her safest markets in continental Europe flushed the song right away.

Avicii is huge everywhere. Even in the most difficult to penetrate markets in Latin America and Europe. If you combine his power with Madonna's one of a kind worldwide appeal, they can dominate the world. It's all about the song though.

You're right. He's massive on all those streaming services.

Minaj was a horrible choice. It is impossible for songs with rap in them to become huge #1 hits in non-English speaking countries. One of the reasons why even her safest markets in continental Europe flushed the song right away.

Avicii is huge everywhere. Even in the most difficult to penetrate markets in Latin America and Europe. If you combine his power with Madonna's one of a kind worldwide appeal, they can dominate the world. It's all about the song though.

The potential for hits is quite high with how popular Avicii's music is across the world and Madonna's name recognition.

Wake Me Up sold faster than Blurred Lines in the U.K., and he's massively successful on all streaming platforms.

Couple that with Madonna's ideas, melodies, and visuals then it has the potential to be massive. I think she very much knows what she's doing this time around.

All your comments have me foaming at the mouth for a new Madonna song!

Also, knowing that she's working with Avicci, Natalia Kills and that guy who worked on "The Fame", I'm pretty excited. Seeing Madonna on the charts again would just be gravy.

Guest bluejean

Who cares?

My thoughts exactly.

My bet is if she performs Girl Gone Wild, Celebration or Give It 2 Me on the next tour the crowd will go wild. They are all hits to Madonna fans.

My thoughts exactly.

My bet is if she performs Girl Gone Wild, Celebration or Give It 2 Me on the next tour the crowd will go wild. They are all hits to Madonna fans.

Celebration on the MDNA tour was utter perfection.

She just hasn't released something great and successful since Confessions.

Can we stop sayin' this, please?

4 minutes was HUGE, one of her most successful singles ever and it's also a great track, very catchy and perfect first single material, like it or not.

No, it's not a surefire Top 10. She has a very good shot at hitting the Top 10 with digital sales and such, but U.S. radio isn't going to touch her at this point unless there's another huge artist (read: young/popular) attached. But a Top 10 is very possible.

I don't think Madonna will have any problem scoring a Top 10 hit with the first single.The first singles from her albums always get alot of attention and airplay.As someone pointed out,if a mediocre song like GMAYL can make the Top 10,surely a stronger,more powerful first single can easily make the Top 10,as well.

Can we stop sayin' this, please?

4 minutes was HUGE, one of her most successful singles ever and it's also a great track, very catchy and perfect first single material, like it or not.

I had a feeling that comment wouldn't go over well.

I love 4 Minutes and it was a hit for her, this is true, but a lot of the reasoning is because of Justin. We have to be honest with ourselves here. If not for him that song probably wouldn't have done nearly as well.

Madonna needs a legitimate Madonna only hit, and the last time that happened was during Confessions.

So yes she got a top ten hit with 4 minutes and it sold well and she garnered a just barely top 10 hit with GMAYL but she can do better.

Without Madonna, with Justin only, 4 Minutes could not have made so good neither. Madonna made it work too !!

The fact is that the song like this is very good, even if it's a very special song for Madonna.

Madonna needs a legitimate Madonna only hit, and the last time that happened was during Confessions.

You mean mega-hit for sure, cause GMAYL was top 10 charted almost everywhere.

I know what you mean though.

I didn't like GMAYL that much when it came out, but it grew on me. I never put it on when I listen to Madonna, but I don't skip it if it comes on.

GMAYL was the first M song I refused to listen to since I became a huge fan in late 1990. I also admit to listening to it now & all is forgiven, but I can't take another immature lead single from the next album. I agree with others who have positive vibes about her future new music.