BRAND NEW MADONNA ALBUM: Official Thread.

Guest HaveASit

S1 is amazing! He worked on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Yeezus and 4.

Glad to see that M is focusing in lyrics, as we can see great songwriters involved.

i think it's a matter of how powerful a producer is, then getting a percentage on royalties....otherwise only writers (music and lyrics) get royalties....even singers don't get anything (this is what i remember, but i'll check it...)

Songwriters get royalties. Producers get "points" (which is basically royalties, but structured differently):

http://musicians.about.com/od/ip/g/points.htm

This usually only applies to big "name" producers. Smaller artists who work with unknown producers usually only pay by the hour or a flat rate negotiated by the managers.

And yes, Nellee told Madonna he would have to change the music and ask for a writing credit, which would give him a portion of the royalties. Madonna made a joke around the time of Music when she started learning the guitar and said that she wished she'd learned sooner so she wouldn't have to split her royalties. But it doesn't look like she ever learned how to write songs on her own well enough to do that!

I liked what I've heard from Mozella and some of the Toby Gad songs are pretty good pop as well. I'm not sure about Symbolic One collaboration though, a hip hop producer feels out of place between the other collaborators. Or, it could be that Mozella, Gad and S1 were just in the same studio and Madonna just went to say hello to them.

No.. they are all involved in the project including Symbolic One and he is sick!

It shouldn't take months to record a pop album

Didn't Patrick Leonard just say in an interview that LAP only took 2 weeks to record?

I wish everyone would stop saying that. His quote was:

We wrote the album in less than two weeks.

And mind you, he was speaking about his part. Granted, he did most of the tracks, but it doesn't include Bray's stuff or anything she did with Prince. Also, writing is one thing. The production can take months, and even for Like A Prayer it took that long. Nearly every Madonna album has taken approximately a year from the start of the writing and recording to release. That isn't to say that she was working on it for 365 days. She has routinely written, then recorded, then taken breaks and gone back to the material each time for reworking. We have no reason to believe this time will be all that different.

Songwriters get royalties. Producers get "points" (which is basically royalties, but structured differently):

http://musicians.about.com/od/ip/g/points.htm

This usually only applies to big "name" producers. Smaller artists who work with unknown producers usually only pay by the hour or a flat rate negotiated by the managers.

And yes, Nellee told Madonna he would have to change the music and ask for a writing credit, which would give him a portion of the royalties. Madonna made a joke around the time of Music when she started learning the guitar and said that she wished she'd learned sooner so she wouldn't have to split her royalties. But it doesn't look like she ever learned how to write songs on her own well enough to do that!

however....when the money where on music and royalties the credits where more often then not shared between two or three songwriters (madonna included), since the music industry broke and the money is on tours coincidentally we have madonna songs with tons of songwriters....i don't think she cares too much on how much she can gain from royalties and to spend on producers until the music is good for her vision (artistically and with the tour in mind, as i think some songs are built with a vision for the tour...but i could be wrong)

and sorry presston for this thread that turned in "new studio album, rumours and discussion" :laugh:

And mind you, he was speaking about his part. Granted, he did most of the tracks, but it doesn't include Bray's stuff or anything she did with Prince. Also, writing is one thing. The production can take months, and even for Like A Prayer it took that long. Nearly every Madonna album has taken approximately a year from the start of the writing and recording to release. That isn't to say that she was working on it for 365 days. She has routinely written, then recorded, then taken breaks and gone back to the material each time for reworking. We have no reason to believe this time will be all that different.

Exactly and let's not forget when Madonna recorded Like A Prayer she was busy with her play "Speed The Plow" and she was starting rehearsing for her Breathless Mahoney part for Dick Tracey. So she wasn't 100% commitment free as a lot of people are trying to imply.

^ This is slightly off. I believe she started demoing stuff for LAP during STP, but it was done by the time she really got into it. And she didn't get the Dick Tracy part until after the album was released, hence the dying of the hair back to blond.

so wonder if these are song titles :)

• Body Shop
  • I Can't Wait
  • Rebel Heart
  • Holy Water
  • Trust No Bitch
  • Certainty
  • Between The Bars
  • Animal Instinct

Where did Certainty and Animal Instinct come from?

Producers don't receive payment for airplay etc. As mentioned above, they get "points", but this is only on sales.

Songwriters receive payment every time a song is played on the radio, on TV, on the internet (via official channels such as Spotify, official artist chanels on YouTube etc.) or live in concert.

Singers/artists only receive payment when a song/album is purchased.

Songwriting royalties are split depending on how much credit each songwriter is given, When Madonna writes with one other person, she generally splits the royalties 50/50. For her collaborations with Timberlake, Timbaland and Danja, she got 25% (which means that every time one of those tracks is sold, she receives a quarter of the figure allocated for songwriters, as well as 100% of the artist's fees. For "4 Minutes", though, she receives less money, since she shares the artist's fees with Timberlake and Timbaland, but not Danja - confusing, I know :)).

There's a misconception out there that because Madonna's name is usually listed first in the credits, she receives more credit than her collaborators. This is false. Madonna is generally listed first because they're her recordings, but at the very most, she receives a 50% share of the publisher's/writer's royalties. Sometimes, she receives a lot less.

Producers don't receive payment for airplay etc. As mentioned above, they get "points", but this is only on sales.

Songwriters receive payment every time a song is played on the radio, on TV, on the internet (via official channels such as Spotify, official artist chanels on YouTube etc.) or live in concert.

are you sure about that?

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm excited! I love S1s stuff! OMG this album is gonna be amazing! I can feel it! I can't wait to listen

Guest bluejean

Carter is right. Producers, session musicians, backing vocalists etc get paid a one off fee for their work. The famous producers (eg Pharrell Williams) would charge through the nose though and like was said are often involved in the songwriting anyway.

Natalia and Mozilla seem to have nothing but great things to say. I feel like M is going in for the kill this time. I think she truly is fully dedicated to the music this time and wants it to be great.

Has anyone said anything bad about working with M musically...Orbit wasn't too positive about the MDNA process but I think that was more about everyone rushing everything not that M didn't care about the songs..

Guest Not4Pussies

just listened to the preview of royksopp and robyn's new track, Monument

all i could think of was how i wish madonna would come out with something dark like that

Absolutely, 100% :thumbsup:

oh, interesting...didn't know that.....

Carter is right and Vande. Producers, session musicians, backing vocalists etc get paid a one off fee for their work. The famous producers (eg Pharrell Williams) would charge through the nose though and like was said are often involved in the songwriting anyway.

:laugh:

all i could think of was how i wish madonna would come out with something dark like that

YES YES YES!!! Seeing as she is working with Swedes a lot, she sooo has to work with Royksopp, Robyn and Klas Ahlund some more. They would be perfect for her!

Abba got 50 percent of the song writing credits to HungUp for the use of the Gimme, Gimme,Gimme sample, I think!

Remixers also only get a one off flat fee even though they can take a crap song and transform it into a mega hit.

Agreed.. would love M to work with Royksopp. Imagine Monument with M's vocals :inlove:

:chuckle: @ Body Shop

Guest Rachelle of London

Random question but before the release of MDNA, did Madonna actually say she wanted to do RoL 2.0?

Fan on twitter is claiming she did but as far as I'm aware that was nothing more than rumored desires by fans.

Is that fan called Jessie Ray by any chance?

Guest Not4Pussies

I know I'm going to get shit for this but I want something dark, introspective and artistic. I don't want songs about candy, birthdays or cheerleaders.

Abba got 50 percent of the song writing credits to HungUp for the use of the Gimme, Gimme,Gimme sample, I think!

Remixers also only get a one off flat fee even though they can take a crap song and transform it into a mega hit.

Yes - they insisted on it. They wouldn't allow the use of the sample unless they received a 50% share of the songwriting credits, because they felt that it was integral to the song (fair enough). I'd say Madonna and Stuart were thinking a 75/25 split, but were prepared to relinquish 50% if it meant that they got to use the sample.