Ever since ROL,why such a big change in M's voice?

Guest Pud Whacker

Sorry she lacks the strong, versatile vocal stylings of a, say, Janet Jackson.

I really doubt this thread will end well, but Madonna has used her voice in a number of ways since 1998.

"I'm So Stupid" is a great example:

So is "Gang Bang":

Live is a whole other beast. Her takes on "Lament" and "You Must Love Me" live were especially excellent.

:clap:

runaway lover

give it 2 me

xstatic process

easy ride

the list goes on and on.

:so common:

Eh, I was gonna, but ... I'm tired. Doesn't feel worth it. Others have already made valid rebuttals, and I'm so glad many people have pointed out that "monotone" is in no way an accurate adjective to describe Madonna's recordings (or live performances).

For an example of the elasticity of her voice in one recording, I was going to suggest "Mother & Father" from American Life. And I'm surprised, Strawberry, that you used "Incredible" as an example. I mean, ... it's grown on me. It's not my fave track from Hard Candy (no offense to IsaacHarris and others who adore it -- respect to you all), but at the end when she sings "INCREDIBLE -- you're welcome to my party -- INCREDIBLE ..." [with echoes of "material" from "Material Girl" on the "incredible" delivery] I mean, her voice sounds very "girlie" there, but there's almost a desperate yell on the "cred" syllable of "incredible." I don't think that track is 'monotone' at all. And "Impressive Instant" is sort of a bogus example. Several of the Mirwais tracks used roboticized/processed vocals ("Music" "Die Another Day" et al.) but Madonna still had warm or full-bodied vocal deliveries elsewhere in the track. The live version of "Impressive Instant" is certainly more full vocally than the album version, but the album version was such an amazing track at the time of its release ... OH and the sound you hear on the album at the opening of that track? Yeah, it's MADONNA'S VOICE processed through a lot of filters, by the way. Mirwais revealed that in an interview. [And, as Mattress posted, "I'm So Stupid" featured her voice in some very bold, experimental techniques. Mirwais said that in an interview, too -- that it was the most experimental track in terms of what they were doing with her voice. It's somewhat polarizing, and takes some getting used to, but ... her voice is anything but monotone in it, despite the manipulations and modulations....]

Ugh. I so wasn't even going to go there.

Ever since ROL,why such a big change in M's voice?

You won't answer my question regarding Janet if she had a rhinoplasty or not. Why should I answer you?

I actually think this is a good topic, and I don't see why every thread as to become "Madonna vs. so-and-so" (and just because someone has another female artist in their signature). I mean, c'mon... (Plus, there was absolutely no mention of Janet or anyone else in the first post anyway, so I don't understand why it even needs to become that....). And I agree, just because we love someone, doesn't mean we have to worship everything about them. And just because one has criticisms, doesn't mean one is necessarily outright bashing the artist.

The changes in her vocals have certainly been noted...and that comes with age, esp. with female voices as they do change as they age.

I think it more so has to do with how her vocals are processed in the studio by the producers. And maybe it's just what she wants for that song.

I do personally prefer her Erotica-BS-ROL vocals (including her spoken word). There is a warmth and expressiveness that is unparalleled, by other singers, and even herself in her earlier and some more recent work (though there are songs here and there now that harken back to that). And we know Evita training had a huge influence on that.

I wouldn't say "monotone" as the best way to describe it ... perhaps more processed, or cold...sometimes a bit more nasally (maybe...some of the more recent works from the past couple albums do sound like she's going back to her earlier voice, a bit more in her head...). But that's just me. I'm sure other people hear it differently. People take to all sorts of different vocals in different ways. Quite subjective too. And Madonna certainly likes to adapt her voice to whatever suits the delivery of the song and how she wants to present it... not many artists, let alone big vocalists, have that ability.

Just as a listener, to me it sounds like it lies more so at some of the more recent producers, and how they mix/process some of her vocals.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Orbit MDNA tracks are some of her best recent vocal work.

Guest bluejean

I do agree The Madonna's voice has changed. But this thread is a joke because it's created by someone who is a totally delusional Janet obsessed fan who occasionally pops in to post in the Janet thread and is probably not even a Madonna fan. And he's calling The Madonna's voice monotone when that's exactly how a normal hearing person would describe Janet's voice in the past 10 years.

It's one thing to say Madonna's voice has changed but to say is monotone? Please.

Just as a listener, to me it sounds like it lies more so at some of the more recent producers, and how they mix/process some of her vocals.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Orbit MDNA tracks are some of her best recent vocal work.

VogueMusic, you're very fair and thoughtful. I appreciate that you've given the original post a fair hearing and have considered it carefully... However, as you pointed out, "monotone" is not accurate, and it's actually stretching a bit to give Strawberry the benefit of the doubt on the distinction between Madonna's vocals/delivery and the production/processing of her vocals. The original post was very much discussing her vocals, her delivery, the quality of her voice as she is aging, and her diction/enunciation. That really doesn't have to do with the recording process and production choices. I agree with you that there have been some choices on the processing/recording of her vocals that I occasionally may take issue with. (It's interesting that you mention Orbit's tracks on MDNA, because although I love the album and Orbit, I think several of his tracks feature the most prominent vocal changes. "Love Spent" is a gorgeous song, and I do love the album version, but it became VERY apparent just how processed the vocals were when they were applied to the acoustic bonus track arrangement. That version probably would have benefitted from a re-recorded vocal that sounded more natural. I think the vocal effects worked in the context of the album version's production, but not as much on the acoustic version. Thankfully, we got the live tour vocals to fill in that void a bit. But "Love Spent" is just one example. "Some Girls" is heavily processed, too ... but I think that also has to do with the production. "Falling Free" features a lush, emotive vocal from Madonna, which works organically with that track's production.) Anyway, ... although her vocals may be pristine, precise, and clear -- and at times 'overly so' to some people -- I still find her to be warm and expressive yet. I love all of the different styles she's adapted for the different albums... I actually think Erotica has some of the most nasal sounding vocals, even though I love the deep tones and spoken vocals she employed throughout.

I just really take exception to the word "monotone" -- it means 'one note' and the whole point Strawberry was making initially is that her voice has changed over time... So, it's a self-defeating argument. She obviously is capable of quite a range -- without being melismatic, of course. But she has a rich, diverse capability, with different timbres and delivery styles.

her voice is fantastic in spanish lesson "hear me callin youuuuur naaaaime." "i'm under yoo gaaaaaaaime." sounds like her old lav self

Well, even in terms of her voice, Madonna is defying the effects of age. While her voice has surely matured, she still sounds "young" in the studio, as noted by Justin Timberlake during the promo for Hard Candy. I recall that very specifically he commented on that.

And William Orbit made such nice and yet highly technical comments about her voice and its unique qualities during the MDNA promo. Can't really be bothered to go dig that up again. We talked about it when MDNA was being released. Orbit did an interview with a DJ and he talked about the ways in which her voice was unique, and he had technical sonic evidence to substantiate his claims. He's worked with a lot of voices in his career, and he sees the sound waves from a lot of recordings.

Sometimes, having no professional training is a good thing just using your natural talent. Then you get some help from professionals and become more conscious about the technical aspect, then you end up forcusing on it more and somewhat you get trapped in the middle.

For M, before ROL, she was using her voice more naturally without caring about how she sounded ''technically'', if you like. But then she had training for Evita and became more aware of the technical aspect. Then she ended up sounding a little ''cold'' on some of her songs because she was thinking about techiques in her head more than before? You can tell from her live singing, especially on slow songs that she's more aware of(or tries to be more careful about) technical aspect on the later tours compare to her earlier tours when she was just singing freely.

(I hate Broadway actors' actresses' singing coz they sound so aware of their techical sides of singing rather than emotions)

I know a lot of people are having a go but I do agree for the most part. It's not so much that she sounds "bad" but I think her voice does lack the warmth from her earlier days. Could be any number of reasons but I don't think it's simply because she is older because she seems to revert back to it when she sings old songs. PDP and OYH on MDNAT are good examples. Compare them to how she sings GGW, which sounds a lot more nasal and high pitched. I think TUTR is also a good example of how she uses her voice differently on newer material. Honestly to me she sounds shocking singing it live, it's almost like she is trying to sound "operatic."

One reason I think her voice has changed is because her speaking accent has broadened over the years. She seems to over-emphasize on certain words and really puts effort in pronouncing words correctly which gives her the "crow" vocals. Like when she sings "love" she seems to sing "laaaarrve" rather than "luurrve." Plus her more recent music she seems to sing at a higher pitch than her earlier work. Compare the vocals on I'm a Sinner with Like a Prayer and you can definitely hear it. I'm not entirely sure why she's done that but I can't help but think it's to sounds "technically" better. Personally though I think it makes her sound "whiny" on certain songs. Especially like on Candy Shop when she sings "Get up out of your seat, come on up to the dance floor..." and pretty much all of I Fucked Up.

It's funny though on MDNAT when she sings GMAYL she sounds so much better than the album version and I think it's partly because she's using her older style of singing.

Anyway feel free to disagree as I'm sure most people will. I still like the new stuff but I do miss that older sound of her voice.

Giving Birth

Singing Lessons

Yoga/Breathing

If u notice, her speaking voice changed considerably as well post Evita, and I'm not talking about her accent :chuckle:

I do agree The Madonna's voice has changed. But this thread is a joke because it's created by someone who is a totally delusional Janet obsessed fan who occasionally pops in to post in the Janet thread and is probably not even a Madonna fan. And he's calling The Madonna's voice monotone when that's exactly how a normal hearing person would describe Janet's voice in the past 10 years.

It's one thing to say Madonna's voice has changed but to say is monotone? Please.

Thanks

Giving Birth

Singing Lessons

Yoga/Breathing

If u notice, her speaking voice changed considerably as well post Evita, and I'm not talking about her accent :chuckle:

:thumbsup:

Her voice changed because it has deepened as the aging process entails that for EVERY human being but it has also deepened through the use she's made of it over the years. Her WTG voice was superb and live throughout despite of the fact that the tour was quite physically engaging (not BAT levels of physical commitment but still movement packed). It's very difficult to breathe, dance and sing, all at the same time. She's the only one who does it convincingly without compromising the genuineness of her singing.

We all know that most other pop singers of the 80s and 90s, male or female, with the exception of the powerhouse vocalists such as Whitney and Celine, lipped A LOT of their shows and for no acceptable reason.

Her voice was only worsened during S&S, understandably considering how that show was structured and its general vibe, physicality level, plus the stress for the divorce etc etc. It improved again on MDNA and still Madonna is the only artist that combines movement and singing and still gets it right more times than she doesn't.

I remember during the HC era a German interviewer asked her how does she keep her voice sounding so fresh both live and in the recording studio and she simply answered that one of the reasons she meticulously goes through her fitness regime is exactly because it also affects positively the quality of her voice.

Reminded me when Jane Pauley asked her in that NBC 40min interview in 1987 what is her regime when she's on tour and Madonna said she doesn't eat eggs, dairy products and meat because she has more energy and it's good for her singing as she gets less mucus

00:42

I do miss the days when she would BELT out a song before she was "trained" on how to sing for Evita.

There was this passion and soul in her voice that you don't really hear anymore. I mean of course I still love her voice, but like I said the crow needs to go. But on the flip side that Evita training also produced a beautiful operatic (if that's the word to use) tone to her voice in certain songs which you can really hear on the ROL demos. She sounds angelic on those.

And I doubt without that training she would sound as great as she did unfiltered on songs like Gone and I Deserve It, so I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

I miss that "rasp" her voice used to have though very much. I think its more evident when she sings her old songs though. I mean compare how great she sounded singing Crazy For You on The Virgin Tour, to how much more flat she sounds singing it on the Reinvention Tour.

And don't even get me started on how she butchered her own classic song when she re sang verses from Into the Groove for the GAP ad. Ugh! :lol: Those vocals were horrible.

It's changed to a certain extent, but there's still a tone to it that's still Madonna and is immediately recognizable. She changes, but she still sounds like herself. People say she's a bad singer blah blah blah,

We can debate if her voice sounds better now or before, but people that say Madonna cant sing are so full of shit and we all know it. William Hung is someone that CANT sing. Its obvious Madonna can sing. Haters just need to watch Evita for Christ sake or her Sooner or Later performance at the Academy Awards among many other great live vocals.

Its like that saying when you say a lie long enough and loud enough people start to believe it, or simply just repeat it without giving it any thought. Yes Madonna cant belt out a song like Whitney Houston. Most people cant. But she CAN sing. Like someone said in an article or on here (I forget) when it comes to singing Madonna hits that sweet spot where its simply a nice voice to listen to. If she was an awful vocalist we sure as hell wouldn't still be listening to her for 30 plus years.

They had this video on The Huffington Post today where they were talking about Madonna, and this older queen (who should know better) said that the Blonde Ambition Tour was the tour when Madonna added all these bells and whistles to her show to cover up her lack of vocal ability. I wanted to punch the fucker in the face. :lol: That has to be one of the most ignorant comments about Madonna out there.

Even if she sang like Whitney Houston I am sure she would still be just as theatrical during her shows and not just stand in one place and sing.

Its like that saying when you say a lie long enough and loud enough people start to believe it, or simply just repeat it without giving it any thought. Yes Madonna cant belt out a song like Whitney Houston. Most people cant. But she CAN sing.

giphy.gif

tumblr_m52mvyw2zV1qzkmqd.gif

SrvWc.gif

I don't get some answers in this thread. I like the STRENGTH that Madonna showed in her voice years ago and that after ROL it changed.

Precisely, in songs like I'm So Stupid it lacks strength, the same with parts of Jump, even bridge in Hung Up. When i mean strength i mean the POWER that you can feel in Rescue Me, or the feeling in Deeper and Deeper bridge.

If this Strawberry person has his own opinion, WHY ALL THE FUSS? Ugh, i hate it when people can't say anything a bit negative about Madonna.

I do miss the days when she would BELT out a song before she was "trained" on how to sing for Evita.

There was this passion and soul in her voice that you don't really hear anymore. I mean of course I still love her voice, but like I said the crow needs to go. But on the flip side that Evita training also produced a beautiful operatic (if that's the word to use) tone to her voice in certain songs which you can really hear on the ROL demos. She sounds angelic on those.

And I doubt without that training she would sound as great as she did unfiltered on songs like Gone and I Deserve It, so I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

I miss that "rasp" her voice used to have though very much. I think its more evident when she sings her old songs though. I mean compare how great she sounded singing Crazy For You on The Virgin Tour, to how much more flat she sounds singing it on the Reinvention Tour.

OH, this is exactly what i feel. Thanks Skinbabe.

As the original poster pointed out,Madonna's voice has obviously changed.It happens to every singer as they get older.But,I still hear alot of warm,youthful vocals in many of her recent songs...

"Give It 2 Me","She's Not Me","GMAYL","Beautiful Killer",etc.There's nothing "monotone" about the vocals on those songs!

And on songs like "Falling Free",her vocals are really,really impressive.