Madonna listening to Erotica demos burring BAT?..

Platinum Gold

So after watching Truth or Dare many times I noticed that in the scene right where Christopher goes and tells her that the police are there (Toronto show) he quickly goes and shuts off the radio and for like 2 seconds it is playing the intro to the Thief of Hearts demo??..

Thief of Hearts demo..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU4JW0-_I4

here is the scene from Truth or Dare..

http://www.miramax.com/watch?v=5wbWNuYTqbORSt5qqe8n739mLB289JqW

Hmmmm...I think that's kind of a reach. I don't think Shep even wrote those demos until the summer of 1991. I could be wrong, but 2 seconds isn't really enough.

OMG! Maybe she had some beats from Shep from the time they were writing some things like Vogue or he send them to her because he wrote something during the mixing of the BAT/TIC tracks?

It could have been dubbed onto the footage when they were editing in 1990 or 1991, possibly to cover up the song she was really playing on the radio, due to copyright issues? There are quite a few dubbed-sounding effects in that film.

The backing track is from Shep's remix of Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract" released in 1990 (with ties to Janet Jackson's "Alright", also remixed by Shep). The bassline, Paula's voice and several of the sounds from the original version of OA (including the glass shattering) made it all the way to the LP mix of "Thief Of Hearts":

Here's some speculation I posted in Nightshade's Erotica genesis back in 2009:

The backing track for "Thief Of Hearts" can be heard coming from a tape player briefly in Truth Or Dare during the backstage Toronto footage.

The now leaked Rain Album demo is identical to Shep's Special Mix of Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract" which saw release on limited UK pressings of her Shut Up And Dance remix album (early May 1990).

Since many of the elements Shep used for his remix of "Opposites Attract" came from the original recording (recorded in 1988, released as a single late November 1989, possibly remixed in 1989), the basis for the demo and master versions of "Thief Of Hearts" is comprised of sometimes warped samples from Paula Abdul's recording. This includes percussion, synth strings, organ vamping, the "shattered glass" effects and vocals by both Abdul and her duet partners The Wild Pair/MC Skat Kat. (Though not on the demo, the warped, high pitched vocal sample behind Madonna's lead at 2:18 and 3:40 on the LP version presumably belongs to Abdul).

Most of the original elements Shep added to his remix of "Opposites Attract" are shared with his House Dub version of Janet Jackson's "Alright" released early March 1990. The beginning of this version features the looped percussion sample -- isolated and dry-- that also builds the foundation of "Opposites..." and "Thief...".

So, what is heard in Truth Or Dare could be a demo tape Pettibone submitted to Madonna, the Paula Abdul remix ( :rotfl: ) or possibly music substituted into the film during post production to hide that Madonna was playing a Belinda Carlisle cassette avoid royalty fees for whatever was there originally. I'm inclined to think it was a demo tape. This was during the "Vogue" phenomenon --which, lest we forget, had been based on his remix of Janet Jackson's "Miss You Much"-- and he was working on The Immaculate Collection project which at some point evolved to include new recordings.

http://youtu.be/y8TyATdxDR8

@Matress; Very interesting stuff, never heard that Miss You Much remix before, but there is a lot of Express Yourself in there too to my ear, which was released just before Miss You Much, so maybe Madonna had those beats before Janet after all :)

Edited by JustifiedSince85

Well that intro she's listening to in TOD is exactly the intro of the TOH demo. Even if Shep used elements from his Paula Abdul & J Jackson remixes to create it, the very intro is the one in the beginning of the demo of TOH. I don't hear that's very same part in the remixes, or maybe i missed it ?! Thank you Leooayala very interesting

Well that intro she's listening to in TOD is exactly the intro of the TOH demo. Even if Shep used elements from his Paula Abdul & J Jackson remixes to create it, the very intro is the one in the beginning of the demo of TOH. I don't hear that's very same part in the remixes, or maybe i missed it ?! Thank you Leooayala very interesting

Listen again. It's at 0:08...

Entire looped sections from this remix form the backing track of the demo version with some keyboard overdubs layed overtop.

Guest bluejean

Sorry but it sounds more like Paula Abdul than TOH imo. I just don't think they would have been working on Erotica in 1990 either.

Btw that shot of fans entering the venue in Toronto, was that in the finished film? I don't remember that.

Guest bluejean

No. It's already been explained they would have used it to cover up music that was being played in the background to avoid paying royalties.

Sorry but it sounds more like Paula Abdul than TOH imo. I just don't think they would have been working on Erotica in 1990 either.

Btw that shot of fans entering the venue in Toronto, was that in the finished film? I don't remember that.

I agree, it does sound like the Paula mix to me, not Thief. And yes, that scene IS in Truth or Dare.

Wow. Sharp ears.

Sounds more like Paula than the TOH demo to me, but it's too short for anyone to say for sure. Since it seems that Shep was fond of stealing from himself, it's possible that it's something else entirely that no one else has ever heard.

It's not Thief Of Hearts, it sounds nothing like it. I've watched this film probably 100 times over the last 25 years and it just isn't Thief of Hearts. I'd bet my life on it, no offence boys.

Sorry guys

It's not Thief Of Hearts, it sounds nothing like it. I've watched this film probably 100 times over the last 25 years and it just isn't Thief of Hearts. I'd bet my life on it, no offence boys.

Sorry guys

We weren't talking about the album version. It was the demo

I don't think it's the demo either, your really, really reaching here. It's considerably way too fast to be Thief of Hearts. I don't generally speak up that much here unless I really believe in something and that ain't Thief of Hearts in any shape or form.