Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

Guest Rachelle of London

Thank you guys for the info! So that old footage of her performing Everybody (?) in some club was probably her idea then.

Yes so was the video. Warner wanted to keep the mythology that she was a black artist. It was M that put herself out there.

Nile Rodgers did say recently that warners weren't really expecting much from her when he was talking about producing like a virgin. It was radio that picked up on holiday and started playing it so they had to rush out the choppy edit.

This site is really helpful in putting the pieces together:

http://madonnabbarchives.blogspot.com/p/singles-chart-archive.html

"Holiday" was a big club hit at the end of the summer in 1983. The album dropped in September, and then "Holiday" crossed over into a pop hit, debuting in October. You can see that the first few weeks, the album wasn't really going anywhere, then it started to pick up around the time "Holiday" started getting airplay. If it was indeed radio that picked up on the song on their own, that's very cool and definitely bears out by the chart stats.

I remember the first time I heard Madonna on the radio.The song was "Holiday" and it was played on our local R&B stations.This was in late 1983.

At this rate based on some posts...Madonna should do Ellen and 25 other shows to secure her 100k extra sales that the next album will bring OR be dropped of Interscope records.

I'm pretty sure that ain't happening, if it did happen...all the better. We haven't even heard anything from the new album (ear wise). We know the first single is gonna have Avicii as the producer to secure a HIT. Why The F would she work with him if she didn't want a hit or it to be the first single.

Based on her posts, he is not producing the album but a selection or one song and the rest is by other people...although he could have very well produced the entire album like WILLIAM ORBIT on ROL was directing the entire flow.

You will see her do a concert this year just like she did with 4minutes. In the UK and the USA and perhaps Japan and AUSTRALIA! But she will do some promo.

Her copycat can't even chart 5years into the business...what makes you believe that M will be dropped? Her copycat should be dropped for the fact she is blaming everyone else for her album flopping when she has so much creative control *winks*

One thing I really, really want is Madonna's songs playing on major US radios again. Michael Jackson's current single is playing and (no offence) the dude is dead!! How can Clear Channel ignore Madonna because of her age? Ageists only towards female artists. Sexists!!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I really, really want is Madonna's songs playing on major US radios again. Michael Jackson's current single is playing and (no offence) the dude is dead!! How can Clear Channel ignore Madonna because of her age? Ageists only towards female artists. Sexists!!

soapbox-demotivational-poster-1223252240

+1. If you're male and dead, you definitely have an advantage on US radio. Sad.

+1. If you're male and dead, you definitely have an advantage on US radio. Sad.

It's sad people don't appreciate someone until they are taken away. I know his releases were sporadic from 2001-2009, but radio didn't come near his songs then. Now, people act as if they were never making MJ jokes for the last 20 years of his life. Madonna has released some fantastic singles since 2003 but none of them have gotten the attention they deserve. Even pop perfection like HU didn't get the love it should have gotten.

^ MJ was one of the most played artists from the '80s prior to his death. He and Madonna were neck and neck in that department until he died, and that's when he started to get more play than her. If you're talking about this new single on Top 40 radio, then sure, i guess I see your point, but Madonna has had a handful of hits since the last time MJ had one (which was what, 2001?).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RinoTheBouncer

I wanna see some powerful promotion of at least 4 singles and music videos, performances/opening big award shows, iTunes banners, online buzz and stuff like that. Not just relying on the tour to make the album sell. There are a lot of young fans who love Madonna and I’m sure a lot will become fans when they see more from her because they’re just not gonna go to the tour and see if they like her or not then buy the album.

Her management obvs think that because there is social media everything has changed - but it hasn't. You still need to be on TV, in magazines, on radio, having nice glossy images out there to create excitement. I was sad there wasn't more promo for MDNA. Magazines and TV, radio interviews mean that people who are not fans will see it - people who read magazines, read their flatmates copies, see it on new stands, and the same with TV and radio. Please, please, please if you see this M, please do more interviews. It's so important!

Edited by Grooveboy

A good old fashioned scandal would make everyone happy. She'd be in the public eye with little effort (instead of drudging about on the boring-as-fuck interview circuit) and we would get to see more of her. CNN is always good for free publicity.

Sorry, but I just don't think Madonna and controversy work together so well anymore.

I agree. I feel like these days whenever she pushes the envelope past a certain point people have nothing but hate for her and not the good kinda hate like in the old days. It's good for her to be cheeky but she just gets trashed now when she really pushes it.

The problem with controversy is nothing in 2014 is really that shocking anymore. Things that she did in the 80's or 90's that were controversial then, now people would just shrug. The world has changed so it's hard to do something that's truly shocking without doing something that hurtful to another person which is not what Madonna is about.

She needs to address her age and ageism. It is the only relevant "controversy" that is relevant to her at this point and that would gather respect as opossed to indifference or backlash.

She needs to address her age and ageism. It is the only relevant "controversy" that is relevant to her at this point and that would gather respect as opossed to indifference or backlash.

exactly. and no one really is doing it anyway. or in a good way. madonna is the best for this kind of issue and she has the power to do it in a big and intelligent and cultural way.

I definitely agree that it would be awesome for her to tackle the ageism thing head on! At this point, since very little is really controversial or shocking anymore, I think what it would be great for Madonna to do is to really create work with meaning. It seems like she's really gone in this direction recently with Art For Freedom and speaking out about censorship and political repression like with Pussy Riot in Russia and Marine Le Pen in France. Speaking about this in her work would be a great way to attract attention and remind people that she is still a very relevant recording artist with an important message. I remember during one of the MDNA promo interviews she said that she was still working so hard not because she has anything left to prove but because she had so much more left to say, and I think that's really going to be present in this upcoming era.

I have to be honest. I'm not real big on political songs. For me, her best songs are more personal intimate ones about relationships, falling in and out of love.To me, I feel like the best message is not about politics or even ageism, but writing about personal stuff that you go through whether it's just relationships or life. For me, Madonna's music has gotten me through some bad times, when I was very depressed or even feeling like life wasn't worth living or people I loved died or bad things happened in my personal life. It was because she wrote songs about those personal things I could relate to not anything political or about getting older. To me the best message is she inspires people that there is pain, but you can come through it and be a better and a happier person.

I have to be honest. I'm not real big on political songs. For me, her best songs are more personal intimate ones about relationships, falling in and out of love.To me, I feel like the best message is not about politics or even ageism, but writing about personal stuff that you go through whether it's just relationships or life. For me, Madonna's music has gotten me through some bad times, when I was very depressed or even feeling like life wasn't worth living or people I loved died or bad things happened in my personal life. It was because she wrote songs about those personal things I could relate to not anything political or about getting older. To me the best message is she inspires people that there is pain, but you can come through it and be a better and a happier person.

Fair enough, but many of her best and most successful songs are hardly personal in the sense you are using here. Like a Virgin, Express Yourself, Vogue, Music, Ray of Light, Hung Up, even Like A Prayer are hardly "personal" in the sense that they describe circumstances experienced only by her (let's say, like "Promise to Try" or "Oh Father"). They feel personal because they buy into her persona and what she stands for, but the lyrics are general and have nice messages that are not paternalistic, defensive, or judgmental.

Moreover, the imagery that accompanies these songs is not ONLY rooted in Madonna looking hot or eternally youthful - it's also dynamic, fun, and sometimes carries a message. Pretty much all of these songs celebrate what unite us as human beings.

I absolutely think that between her and the ARMY of songwriters at her disposal, they could create an intelligent song + video that keeps things general and light (let's say, talk about acceptance and self-expression) while making an interesting point about the fact that basically every struggle Madonna faces today in the music industry (and with audiences and the media) is based on her gender and age.

But that's difficult to do when you are working with young male DJs and producers. This is why, even though I'm not a fan of Natalia, I do think she has the wits to bring some substance to the lyrics.

I agree. I feel like these days whenever she pushes the envelope past a certain point people have nothing but hate for her and not the good kinda hate like in the old days. It's good for her to be cheeky but she just gets trashed now when she really pushes it.

What?

The problem with controversy is nothing in 2014 is really that shocking anymore. Things that she did in the 80's or 90's that were controversial then, now people would just shrug.

A woman over a certain age that wears what she wants, works with whomever she wants, makes whatever music she wants to, says whatever she wants, doesn't care what people think of her and is unapologetic about it gets a lot of people riled up, including her fans. <----that must be the "bad" kinda hate because apparantly there is a good kind???