Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

Yeah Hard Candy album cover... I didn't like it when I first saw it and still don't...

The power of Non Traditional Promo! Didn't GUY say let's talk to him again a year later when everyone was complaining? This list says it all. Let's hope they are fully aware of this before the next release. I'm not here for another album without any label support outside the US.

Madonna on the UNITED WORLD CHART

Weeks in the Top10.

Madonna: 550 weeks
Hung Up - 20 weeks in Top 10 :Disco_Ball:
4 Minutes ft. Justin Timberlake - 18 weeks in Top 10
Take A Bow - 18 weeks in Top 10
Sorry - 17 weeks in Top 10
Frozen - 17 weeks in Top 10
La Isla Bonita - 17 weeks in Top 10
The Power Of Goodbye - 17 weeks in Top 10
Music - 17 weeks in Top 10
Dont Tell Me - 16 weeks in Top 10
Like A Prayer - 16 weeks in Top 10
Secret - 16 weeks in Top 10
Vogue - 16 weeks in Top 10
Papa Dont Preach - 15 weeks in Top 10
Beautiful Stranger - 15 weeks in Top 10
American Pie - 15 weeks in Top 10
Who´s That Girl - 14 weeks in Top 10
Like A Virgin - 14 weeks in Top 10
Die Another Day - 14 weeks in Top 10
Me Against The Music (Britney) - 13 weeks in Top 10
True Blue - 13 weeks in Top 10
This Used To Be My Playground - 13 weeks in Top 10
I´ll Remember - 13 weeks in Top 10
Dont Cry For Me Argentina - 13 weeks in Top 10
Express Yourself - 12 weeks in Top 10
Open Your Heart - 12 weeks in Top 10
Into The Groove - 12 weeks in Top 10
Live To Tell - 12 weeks in Top 10
Justify My Love - 11 weeks in Top 10
Ray Of Light - 11 weeks in Top 10
Erotica - 10 weeks in Top 10
You´ll See - 10 weeks in Top 10
Deeper And Deeper - 10 weeks in Top 10
American Life - 10 weeks in Top 10
Hollywood - 10 weeks in Top 10
Give It 2 Me - 10 weeks in Top 10
Material Girl - 9 weeks in Top 10
Cherish - 9 weeks in Top 10
What It Feels Like For A Girl - 9 weeks in Top 10
Nothing Really Matters - 8 weeks in Top 10
Causing A Commotion - 7 weeks in Top 10
Celebration - 7 weeks in Top 10
Crazy For You - 6 weeks in Top 10
Hanky Panky - 4 weeks in Top 10
Rescue Me - 3 weeks in Top 10
Give Me All Your Luvin ft. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A. - 1 week in Top 10 :chuckle:

She was over 47 when she released 3 of the top4 songs. :wow:

And :wow: at Celebration. Seven weeks in the top10 only with European support, just a remix video and M in her 50s.

Also, Jump and Get Together almost entered the top10. Jump peaked at #11 and GT at #13. Both songs multiple weeks in the top15.

^ didn't Rain go to #10 on the United World Chart?

It mush have peaked at around 11 or 12 I think.

Bottom line is, Madonna does not really need to do any promo in order to be successful. She did nothing for hits like 4 Minutes, Give it 2 Me, Celebration and yet they smashed on the worldwide chart.

Obviously, there is a label issue. Spending only one week in the worldwide chart while some of the songs that are considered your "biggest flops" stayed in the top10 for like 2 months is unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

It mush have peaked at around 11 or 12 I think.

Bottom line is, Madonna does not really need to do any promo in order to be successful. She did nothing for hits like 4 Minutes, Give it 2 Me, Celebration and yet they smashed on the worldwide chart.

Obviously, there is a label issue. Spending only one week in the worldwide chart while some of the songs that are considered your "biggest flops" stayed in the top10 for like 2 months is unacceptable.

I don't know about international, but she did an enormous amount of promo for 4M in the U.S.

I don't know about international, but she did an enormous amount of promo for 4M in the U.S.

She did some live appearances in the UK too including the radio 1 big weekend.

I think she needs to do promo here. You only have to see how tracks from revolver onwards have bombed.

Where is the guy who used to do those amazing Madonna artworks? rob something? forgot his name...he's not a monster now is he?

Robster?

He's still part of this community. He posts in the New Madonna Album section...

Like what? Going to BET, calling a bunch of radio stations and going to a candy store with z100?

I would like to see her in next iTunes Festival in September. It will be magic!!

Excellent idea! I would like that too.

Like what? Going to BET, calling a bunch of radio stations and going to a candy store with z100?

She did a ton of radio interviews/promo. I couldn't even keep up with listening to all of them. Yes, it's local and not very glamorous, but it seemed very intensive and (I believe) had a big impact on the song's success in the U.S. She did what's called "retail politics" in the political world. She didn't do that for MDNA.

She did a ton of radio interviews/promo. I couldn't even keep up with listening to all of them. Yes, it's local and not very glamorous, but it seemed very intensive and (I believe) had a big impact on the song's success in the U.S. She did what's called "retail politics" in the political world. She didn't do that for MDNA.

I guess that might have an impact on radio playing her songs. I personally don't listen to the radio that much and most people I know don't that much, but I guess it does have an impact on some people and stations like it if they can get a big star to come on their show.

This should have been the official album cover. It's fierce, she looks stunning, and it's has a cynical sens of humour like "hey look M's got them 3 boys for her album", everyone would have talked about it.

Yeah well, I'll take Bianco's worst shit over any sample of Kawena's stuff.

I guess that might have an impact on radio playing her songs. I personally don't listen to the radio that much and most people I know don't that much, but I guess it does have an impact on some people and stations like it if they can get a big star to come on their show.

That's really what it's about. The radio programmers, not the listeners so much. I'm convinced that the reason radio jumped on board so early and so strong was because M put in some sweat. Even if it was just an excuse to get them to play the song so people could hear it. I think Justin was really the main factor in opening up the door to radio again, but I don't think it's a coincidence that her biggest U.S. radio hit in the last decade coincided with a lot of local radio appearances. It reminds me of when her debut album wasn't doing so hot and WB refused to do anything about it, so she decided to put herself out there herself by hitting all of the clubs, etc. When she puts the effort in, it works.

MARIAH is the secret ITunes-Star :lmao:

But can she do this? NO!!!

A Full Beyoncé must contain ALL these elements.

• This must be a full album, ideally but not necessarily containing a larger than average number of tracks.
  • Tracks on the album must be accompanied by videos.
  • The artist must be a global superstar, a multi-platinum act in at least one major territory, or an artist with a huge/deranged online fanbase.
  • Trickily, it must be common knowledge that the artist has been working on new material – but the release must still also, somehow, be a surprise.
  • There must have been no legitimate leaked information about the nature of the release in advance of the release. A beyoncéd album that has been trailed by an interview regarding its release could potentially be regarded as little more than a conventional album release with a shorter promotional window.
  • There must be no conventionally promoted single leading into the album’s release.
  • It must be a standalone album release – it can’t just be an addition to a previous album campaign, a deluxe edition or any sort of repackage.
  • By its nature this album will almost certainly be released digitally first – it’s impossible to send CDs into production then get them to retail without news leaking. (If an album does indeed make it to stores with literally no warning before, say, shops open at 9am, it will be permitted as a full beyoncé.)
  • The nature of the release must be convincingly presented as an artistic statement or creative choice, rather than being a transparent attempt to drum up interest in an album campaign that hasn’t been working out properly.
  • Total beyoncégeddon must be achieved across all social networks for at least 24 hours.

Strictly optional factors include instantly iconic but basically shit artwork, a Sia track, and songs about bonking.

Who could pull off a full beyoncé?
Adele, U2, Rihanna, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Taylor Swift.

http://www.popjustice.com/briefing/anatomy-of-a-beyonce-a-proposed-classification-system-for-surprise-album-releases/126578/

You know what I think would be a cool promotional thing? Do a record store performance! I know it sounds crazy because a lot of record stores have gone out of business, but there is a frenzy for vinyl records and a few stores are opening up that sell those and have instore performances. A really cool place is Rough Trade which has stores in hip places like Brooklyn, NY and East London. Tori Amos is doing a performance in the Brooklyn one soon. It seems like the new record may feature acoustic guitars based on the pictures so I think this would be ideal! This is some truly untraditional promotion!

She performed in HMVs during the American Life Promo.

HMV is totally different from Rough Trade and the record stores they have now. HMV was more corporate whereas a place like Rough Trade is more cool. I would love it if she did it.

That's really what it's about. The radio programmers, not the listeners so much. I'm convinced that the reason radio jumped on board so early and so strong was because M put in some sweat. Even if it was just an excuse to get them to play the song so people could hear it. I think Justin was really the main factor in opening up the door to radio again, but I don't think it's a coincidence that her biggest U.S. radio hit in the last decade coincided with a lot of local radio appearances. It reminds me of when her debut album wasn't doing so hot and WB refused to do anything about it, so she decided to put herself out there herself by hitting all of the clubs, etc. When she puts the effort in, it works.

Details please. I did'nt know this.

^ Well, I wasn't a fan at the time. I was only 4. But I remember reading many years later (it may have been an interview, but I don't remember where) that Madonna wasn't happy with how things were going after the album dropped, so she took it upon herself to make a lot of club appearances/performances (presumably in NYC) and DJs started playing her singles more. I don't remember at what point this was. Maybe it's an urban legend. But I do know that it took the album over four months just to crack the Top 100, 44 weeks to crack the Top 20, and over a year to crack the Top 10.

Does anyone else remember reading/hearing this anywhere?

Guest Rocco Papa

I'd love it if she did one of those "On the Record with Fuse" interviews. It would take me back to the days when she would do TV specials on MTV back when they played music. Breakfast with Madonna, Dinner with Madonna, On Stage & On The Record, No Bull. I miss those times...

Regardless, I have a feeling we'll be getting a lot of promo this time around. Madonna has made lots of appearances last year and this year. GLAAD Awards, Billboard Awards, Grammy Awards, performing w/Miley on MTV, etc. It feels like she's getting ready to do full-scale promotion for this album. It makes sense, since she doesn't seem to have any major projects coming out at the same time. Thank God.

Edited by RoccoPapa

Hey Vocalism I can back you up. The information is in most biographies, it's no urban legend. Warner's weren't prepared to spend any money on her and weren't really expecting big things from her but she didn't organise all the track dates and promo all by herself, she was usually accompanied by someone from Warner's on these dates. Freddy was also a big presence, she didn't slum it for very long.

Nile Rodgers did say recently that warners weren't really expecting much from her when he was talking about producing like a virgin. It was radio that picked up on holiday and started playing it so they had to rush out the choppy edit.