Original GHV2 working title(s)

Apples388

Yeah it was well known at the time that she was going to release one in the fall of 2001. It even states in the tour book that one would be coming soon. I even kinda wanna say that it might of been first announced on one of the old official websites in early 2001 when the tour dates were first announced.

I think that a title of "ICV2 - The Immaculate Collection: Volume 2" or "Immaculate Hits 92-01" would have worked better. As for the track selection, it would have been in chronological order (like "The Immaculate Collection") and included at least one new song, an outtake from the "Music" sessions, a "Music" track like "Impressive Instant", or even a remix of a "Music" track in order to promote the compilation. Ideally, I would have included "This Used To Be My Playground" and "I'll Remember", but I think that including other songs not featured on "Something To Remember" may have worked better, especially with time limitations.

All versions would have focused primarily on the original radio edit and video edit mixes. I would have opted for the "Video Version" over the "Radio Remix Edit" of "Rain", for example. I hate the "Radio Version" of "Human Nature" due to the altered chorus and would have replaced it with the "Video Version", which was also included on the U.S. 3-track promo CD and maintains the "I'm not your bitch don't hang your **** on me" chorus. "You Must Love [single Version]", which runs longer than the "Album Version" due to the instrumental intro, would have been a nice treat on this collection in addition to the hit version (the "Miami Mix Edit") of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". The "Radio Edit" of "Ray Of Light" is one of the worst edits that I've ever heard. Replace the "Radio Edit" with the "Video Edit" instead, in which the first 8 seconds of the guitar intro is cut off and starts with the synth/guitar instead. The "Video Edit" fades a bit faster at the end of the song, too, clocking in at 5:07. Therefore, it runs roughly the same length as the "Radio Edit" of "Frozen", which is why I never understood the slipshod edit that it received for radio airplay. Even though I would have cut "What It Feels Like For A Girl" differently for the "Radio Edit" (that is, I would have kept the spoken intro and cold fade out and sliced elsewhere in the song), it was official and deserves a spot here.

Here's my ideal track selection:

01 Erotica [Radio Edit] (4:33)

02 Deeper And Deeper [single Edit] (4:55)

03 Rain [Video Edit] (4:32)

04 Secret [Edit] (4:30)

05 Take A Bow [Edit] (4:31)

06 Bedtime Story [Album Edit] (4:08)

07 Human Nature [Video Version] (4:33)

08 You'll See [Edit] (4:20)

09 You Must Love Me [single Version] (3:06)

10 Don't Cry For Me Argentina [Miami Mix Edit] (4:30)

11 Frozen [Radio Edit] (5:10)

12 Ray Of Light [Video Edit] (5:07)

13 The Power Of Good-Bye (4:12)

14 Beautiful Stranger [William Orbit Radio Edit] (3:58)

15 Music (3:44)

16 Don't Tell Me [Radio Edit] (4:10)

17 What It Feels Like For A Girl [Radio Edit] (4:03)

18 (New song, leftover track from "Music" sessions, a "Music" track like "Impressive Instant", or a "remix" of a "Music" track in order to promote the compilation)

Guest Pud Whacker

The two-disc GHV2 Remixed release is still one of my favorite promo items. They should have included the megamixes and released it commercially in early '02.

ghv2-remixed-the-best-of-1991-2001-usa-p

mattress, you always have the fabulous cd/record collection shyt! :inlove:

Most of the songs should have been reworked: maybe the Mirwais remix of Music,

WHAT???

Is there such thing??? I WANT IT!!!!

Love GHV2 by the way.

I think she should have called it The Immaculate Redemption.

Side 1 (crucifixion of Dita)

Erotica

Deeper & Deeper

Fever

Bad Girl

Rain (radio edit)

Secret

Human Nature

Bedtime Story (BRITS version)

Side 2 (rise of Veronica)

Frozen

Ray of Light (album version)

The Power of Goodbye

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

What It feels Like For A Girl

Nah. She didn't want to do it, she had just finished touring and was throwing herself straight into Swept Away.

In fact, let's blame Swept Away. If she hadn't done that awful shitty film, she'd have had a nice proper break after the tour and rejuvenated herself, by which time she will have had proper time to invest into GHV2 and include a couple of new songs and may have even promoted it with a proper single release.

I remember seeing an interview and she really wasn't into it but I think it was because Warner had not released Impressive Instant and then tried to release Amazing. She was very abrupt about not having extra tracks on it saying it was a hits collection so new songs shouldn't be on there. She had minimal input into it apart from final sign off, I imagine! But it's a beautifully presented collection.

Oh, Suedehead is right (of course). That sequencing is seriously flawed. Biggest offender for me is POG-Beautiful Stranger-Frozen. Like, why throw BS in between those two tracks?! It's so jarring. VERY odd that she seemed to take 'credit' for the track order.

I do recall a British radio show interview, and I think that is (infamously, for me) where she seemed to intimate that she no longer cared for "This Used to Be My Playground," which was such a shame. :(

I would NEVER be one to argue against getting new recorded material from her... HOWEVER... perhaps she was feeling a little performance anxiety. I love all the material that has leaked, but ... to be honest, none of them are really 'up to par' with JML and Rescue Me. (I seriously love "Run" and "Liquid Love" but if neither made it onto the Music album, they sure weren't going to make it onto a greatest hits collection ... and "Like an Angel Passing Through My Room" is GORGEOUS, but it's a cover, so ... it would seem strange to include that on GHV2. I'm so glad we got it as a b-day gift, though!) If you think about IC having both new tracks be top ten hits, it does put a bit of pressure on you to produce quality material. (No comments about "Revolver" and "Celebration" necessary...)

Oh and whoever asked about the Mirwais mix of "Music" ... I think the original poster may have just been referring to what ended up being used for live promo performances and DWT. The longer coda with her repeating "Music.... Music ... Mu-u-u-sic..." I think that's sometimes referred to as the Mirwais mix by fans. (I could be mistaken, though.)

Oh, Suedehead is right (of course). That sequencing is seriously flawed. Biggest offender for me is POG-Beautiful Stranger-Frozen. Like, why throw BS in between those two tracks?! It's so jarring. VERY odd that she seemed to take 'credit' for the track order.

I do recall a British radio show interview, and I think that is (infamously, for me) where she seemed to intimate that she no longer cared for "This Used to Be My Playground," which was such a shame. :(

I would NEVER be one to argue against getting new recorded material from her... HOWEVER... perhaps she was feeling a little performance anxiety. I love all the material that has leaked, but ... to be honest, none of them are really 'up to par' with JML and Rescue Me. (I seriously love "Run" and "Liquid Love" but if neither made it onto the Music album, they sure weren't going to make it onto a greatest hits collection ... and "Like an Angel Passing Through My Room" is GORGEOUS, but it's a cover, so ... it would seem strange to include that on GHV2. I'm so glad we got it as a b-day gift, though!) If you think about IC having both new tracks be top ten hits, it does put a bit of pressure on you to produce quality material. (No comments about "Revolver" and "Celebration" necessary...)

Oh and whoever asked about the Mirwais mix of "Music" ... I think the original poster may have just been referring to what ended up being used for live promo performances and DWT. The longer coda with her repeating "Music.... Music ... Mu-u-u-sic..." I think that's sometimes referred to as the Mirwais mix by fans. (I could be mistaken, though.)

:thumbsup:

I continue to be surprised fans never like this comp because I use to listen to this as much or more than TIC. For me this was a real treat because it showcased songs from her best albums & most of the singles were not nearly as commercial pop as her overplayed eighties tracks. The only song I usually skip was DCFMA even though she recorded an amazing version.

I continue to be surprised fans never like this comp because I use to listen to this as much or more than TIC. For me this was a real treat because it showcased songs from her best albums & most of the singles were not nearly as commercial pop as her overplayed eighties tracks. The only song I usually skip was DCFMA even though she recorded an amazing version.

:kiss2:

I don't have any complaints about GHV2. Yeah the tracklist and title could've been better, but when it came out I thought it was everything. Back then I only had ROL & Music and didn't know much about anything else, so it was incredibly exciting to discover all these other songs and to see all her reinventions in the booklet. I thought her back catalogue was too big/daunting to investigate, and this was a great gateway that led me to check out all her other music.

She was in a funny mood then, though. I think she was still in that Drowned World Tour era "punk" persona and personally I don't think she wanted GHV2 to be released. I think Warner (and maybe Guy O) twisted her arm into it because it was perfect timing as she straight off 2 mega successful albums and the tour. Her stock was at an all time high.

They were right to release it as a quick cash-in but short-sighted; and I think, in retrospect, she could have been a bit more cooperative.

All of her other compilations have included new or extra tracks: You Can Dance, Immaculate Collection, Something to Remember, Remixed and Revisited and Celebration. So in that sense GHV2 is very much an anomaly and I think it is because her heart wasn't really in it. The Ray of Light and Music-heavy tracklisting are also reflective of her DWT-era mindframe.

Personally, I thought the whole thing a big wasted opportunity. Everyone's already said their piece about some of the ridiculous edits that were used but my biggest beef wasn't even the fact that there were no new songs, or the ultimately unimaginative title, or the pathetic attempt at "funny" by having one of Guy Ritchie's "geezer" mates write about her burning bacon on the set of a movie, or even Madonna's own laissez-faire attitude, but mainly the appalling sequencing. "Don't Cry for me Argentina" followed by "Bedtime Story" - REALLY? :manson:

I totally agree with you . I thought the whole thing was a little bit cheap and she didn't even do proper photos for it ( The one on the cover was from InStyle mag I believe ) .

I think that a title of "ICV2 - The Immaculate Collection: Volume 2" or "Immaculate Hits 92-01" would have worked better. As for the track selection, it would have been in chronological order (like "The Immaculate Collection") and included at least one new song, an outtake from the "Music" sessions, a "Music" track like "Impressive Instant", or even a remix of a "Music" track in order to promote the compilation. Ideally, I would have included "This Used To Be My Playground" and "I'll Remember", but I think that including other songs not featured on "Something To Remember" may have worked better, especially with time limitations.

All versions would have focused primarily on the original radio edit and video edit mixes. I would have opted for the "Video Version" over the "Radio Remix Edit" of "Rain", for example. I hate the "Radio Version" of "Human Nature" due to the altered chorus and would have replaced it with the "Video Version", which was also included on the U.S. 3-track promo CD and maintains the "I'm not your bitch don't hang your **** on me" chorus. "You Must Love [single Version]", which runs longer than the "Album Version" due to the instrumental intro, would have been a nice treat on this collection in addition to the hit version (the "Miami Mix Edit") of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". The "Radio Edit" of "Ray Of Light" is one of the worst edits that I've ever heard. Replace the "Radio Edit" with the "Video Edit" instead, in which the first 8 seconds of the guitar intro is cut off and starts with the synth/guitar instead. The "Video Edit" fades a bit faster at the end of the song, too, clocking in at 5:07. Therefore, it runs roughly the same length as the "Radio Edit" of "Frozen", which is why I never understood the slipshod edit that it received for radio airplay. Even though I would have cut "What It Feels Like For A Girl" differently for the "Radio Edit" (that is, I would have kept the spoken intro and cold fade out and sliced elsewhere in the song), it was official and deserves a spot here.

Here's my ideal track selection:

01 Erotica [Radio Edit] (4:33)

02 Deeper And Deeper [single Edit] (4:55)

03 Rain [Video Edit] (4:32)

04 Secret [Edit] (4:30)

05 Take A Bow [Edit] (4:31)

06 Bedtime Story [Album Edit] (4:08)

07 Human Nature [Video Version] (4:33)

08 You'll See [Edit] (4:20)

09 You Must Love Me [single Version] (3:06)

10 Don't Cry For Me Argentina [Miami Mix Edit] (4:30)

11 Frozen [Radio Edit] (5:10)

12 Ray Of Light [Video Edit] (5:07)

13 The Power Of Good-Bye (4:12)

14 Beautiful Stranger [William Orbit Radio Edit] (3:58)

15 Music (3:44)

16 Don't Tell Me [Radio Edit] (4:10)

17 What It Feels Like For A Girl [Radio Edit] (4:03)

18 (New song, leftover track from "Music" sessions, a "Music" track like "Impressive Instant", or a "remix" of a "Music" track in order to promote the compilation)

👍Good tracklist! GHV2 really was a missed opportunity to show her 'strongest' years artistically

Guest eroticerotic

Ghv2 works. It to me was a play on inri.

:)

The play list felt scattered though unlike tic, which was seamless. I felt the songs should have been in backward chronological order, stating with dont tell me and ending with erotica and two new songs.

Given many hits had to be omitted did all 4 Bedtime Story singles need to be included? The album and the 2 latter singles are not her most visible musical works. Of her 3 greatest hits albums only Madonna (Celebration) and Music (GHV2), (Excluding American Pie) have had all singles represented.