Original GHV2 working title(s)

Apples388

I, too, loved the GHV2 artwork. As a non fan then, those photos were impressive and amazing to look at. A great insight into a colorful career which I wasn't aware of yet.

Oh, forgot to say how much I can't take the edit to "Ray of Light." So disappointed they carried that over to Celebration, as well. Criminal. That track needs to be heard in its full album-length running time. They did no favors to it by truncating it. Deeper & Deeper on the other hand stands up well, and they gave it those little extra punches by adding those extra sounds to the "Someone said that romance was dead, and I believed it instead of remembering what my mama told me..." just before the Spanish guitar break. The best single edits always seem to intensify the album version a bit, which works because it's usually a shorter/condensed version. "Ray of Light" was a case where the end result was too perfect to improve upon, and when they sliced it up, the track suffered. The video version used the full-length version, so it's really surprising they wouldn't use that. I would have thought more people were familiar with that version, especially since the video received multiple awards, including the major categories (VMA Video of the Year, Grammy), plus it seemed to tap into the zeitgeist on the verge of the new millennium, with the rapid advancements in technology seeming to accelerate the pace of life and the year 2000 on the calendar also making people expectant and slightly introspective, too. (Hence Microsoft tapping her and that track for the campaign as they released a new operating system around that time.)

I don't know. I'm rambling a bit. But the "Ray of Light" edit is just ... I just can't. Fail.

Bravo! I always argue this.

Totally unfair.

Guest bluejean

I remember Hit Lady and The Immaculate Collection 2: The Second Coming from official sources.

GHV2 looked and sounded wonderful. No mastering errors and everything on it is an official single or DJ edit from the original masters (several of which were rare at the time). Even subtle things like the (very) slighlty longer single fade on the song "Music" are present.

Fans got this bad taste in their mouth over the lack of new songs and infrequent overlap with the then only 6 year old Something To Remember. I also think many weren't familiar with the single versions and were a bit shocked by the edits. Regardless, despite a a few jarring sequencing decisions, it's a great summary of her 92-01 output.

Oh Mattress.

"It was something a certain record company executive twisted my arm into doing, but it didn't belong on the album so now it's being punished"

:lmao:

And "Hit Lady". Fucking terrible. :lmao:

well, I'm watching since a fan perspective. I already have those versions so that's why i never bought it. Maybe a fan edition like this although we had megamixes with the release:

01. Deeper And Deeper (Shep's Deep Makeover Edit)

02. Fever (Edit One)

03. Erotica (Madonna's in My Jeep Mix)

04. Human Nature (Chorus Door Slam with Nine Sample)

05. Secret (Junior's Luscious Single Mix)

06. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix)

07. Bedtime Story (Orbital Mix Edit)

08. The Power of Good-Bye (Remix)

09. Beautiful Stranger

10. Frozen (William Orbit Widescreen Edit)

11. Take A Bow (Indasould Mix)

12. Ray Of Light (William Orbit Liquid Mix Edit)

13. Don't Tell Me (Thunderpuss Radio Mix)

14. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Video version)

15. Music (Mirwais Remix)

16. Run

That would be a Remix album, but I would buy the damn thing! GHV2: Remixed & Revisited :laugh:

remember that TIC was also remixed! anyways, my problems with GHV2 are:

The name, The Second comming was perfect.No new songs (shit, why don´t include like a flower, or something never released even is not new?), and the edits. Some of them are good, but others...and it would have been a good way to have in an album some versions that are at least as famous as the album ones: the miami mix of DCFMA, fever´s edit one, the single version of rain, Bedtime story´s junior´s mix...

The packaging and artwork were amazing. The actual track listing was rubbish. The versions were hideous, how the hell was the Power Of Goodbye and the album version of What It Feels Like For A Girl included?? Rain, I'll Remember and Fever IMO should have been included. Far too many songs from Ray Of Light and Music.

I love GHV2!!... But the track list could have been a tad more thought out

01. EROTICA (Album Edit)

02. DEEPER AND DEEPER (Album Edit)

03. FEVER (Edit One)

04. RAIN (Album Edit)

05. SECRET (Album Edit)

06. TAKE A BOW (Album Edit)

07. HUMAN NATURE (Video Edit)

08. YOU MUST LOVE ME (Single Version)

09. FROZEN (Album Edit)

10. RAY OF LIGHT (Album Version)

11. THE POWER OF GOOD-BYE

12. NOTHING REALLY MATTERS

13. BEAUTIFUL STRANGER (Radio Edit)

14. AMERICAN PIE

15. DON'T TELL ME (Album Edit)

16. WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL (Album Edit)

17. MUSIC

I love GHV2!!... But the track list could have been a tad more thought out

01. EROTICA (Album Edit)

02. DEEPER AND DEEPER (Album Edit)

03. FEVER (Edit One)

04. RAIN (Album Edit)

05. SECRET (Album Edit)

06. TAKE A BOW (Album Edit)

07. HUMAN NATURE (Video Edit)

08. YOU MUST LOVE ME (Single Version)

09. FROZEN (Album Edit)

10. RAY OF LIGHT (Album Version)

11. THE POWER OF GOOD-BYE

12. NOTHING REALLY MATTERS

13. BEAUTIFUL STRANGER (Radio Edit)

14. AMERICAN PIE

15. DON'T TELL ME (Album Edit)

16. WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL (Album Edit)

17. MUSIC

That's my version too!

Ghv2 was shit and so was the artwork.

Does anyone know something about the different picture used in some countries for the cover? In some countries like Australia they used the back cover picture as a front cover too. Some said that it was a mistake and it was just that they didn't print the booklet right, that they changed the order of the pages and others that it was the original cover but that in the last minute they decided to change it for the one that we all know.

I think that it could be posibble to change the order of the pages in the Colombian CD because it's exactly the same page used on the booklet but for this one a small pictures included on the original booklet are removed so it could be that they wanted it as the cover. Any info about that???

I remembered Madonna was asked in an interview why she didn't record any new song for GHV2 and she said that would be " really presumptuous wouldn't it ?" since it was

called Greatest Hits Volume 2.

She was in a funny mood then, though. I think she was still in that Drowned World Tour era "punk" persona and personally I don't think she wanted GHV2 to be released. I think Warner (and maybe Guy O) twisted her arm into it because it was perfect timing as she straight off 2 mega successful albums and the tour. Her stock was at an all time high.

They were right to release it as a quick cash-in but short-sighted; and I think, in retrospect, she could have been a bit more cooperative.

All of her other compilations have included new or extra tracks: You Can Dance, Immaculate Collection, Something to Remember, Remixed and Revisited and Celebration. So in that sense GHV2 is very much an anomaly and I think it is because her heart wasn't really in it. The Ray of Light and Music-heavy tracklisting are also reflective of her DWT-era mindframe.

Personally, I thought the whole thing a big wasted opportunity. Everyone's already said their piece about some of the ridiculous edits that were used but my biggest beef wasn't even the fact that there were no new songs, or the ultimately unimaginative title, or the pathetic attempt at "funny" by having one of Guy Ritchie's "geezer" mates write about her burning bacon on the set of a movie, or even Madonna's own laissez-faire attitude, but mainly the appalling sequencing. "Don't Cry for me Argentina" followed by "Bedtime Story" - REALLY? :manson:

I think the bigger issue is the product itself.

It's so hard to follow IC. And they needed to put out a better planned collection (enhanced) and not just random edits and tracklist. IC sounds like a proper album. GHV2 sounded like an mp3 burned to CD.

I think the bigger issue is the product itself.

It's so hard to follow IC. And they needed to put out a better planned collection (enhanced) and not just random edits and tracklist. IC sounds like a proper album. GHV2 sounded like an mp3 burned to CD.

So does Celebration to be fair.

Immaculate Collection and Something to Remember are her best "proper" compilations.

She was just being lazy. That logic didn't stop her ass with TIC.

I don't mind the name GHV2, although next to TIC it does sound rather tame.

Oh I know she was being lazy ! LOL

Like we weren't worthy of ANY new song !

She was in a funny mood then, though. I think she was still in that Drowned World Tour era "punk" persona and personally I don't think she wanted GHV2 to be released. I think Warner (and maybe Guy O) twisted her arm into it because it was perfect timing as she straight off 2 mega successful albums and the tour. Her stock was at an all time high.

They were right to release it as a quick cash-in but short-sighted; and I think, in retrospect, she could have been a bit more cooperative.

All of her other compilations have included new or extra tracks: You Can Dance, Immaculate Collection, Something to Remember, Remixed and Revisited and Celebration. So in that sense GHV2 is very much an anomaly and I think it is because her heart wasn't really in it. The Ray of Light and Music-heavy tracklisting are also reflective of her DWT-era mindframe.

Personally, I thought the whole thing a big wasted opportunity. Everyone's already said their piece about some of the ridiculous edits that were used but my biggest beef wasn't even the fact that there were no new songs, or the ultimately unimaginative title, or the pathetic attempt at "funny" by having one of Guy Ritchie's "geezer" mates write about her burning bacon on the set of a movie, or even Madonna's own laissez-faire attitude, but mainly the appalling sequencing. "Don't Cry for me Argentina" followed by "Bedtime Story" - REALLY? :manson:

Indeed. After watching the interview its pretty obvious she built the tracklist :lmao: The Power of Goodbye and no Fever? Come on.

Maybe her attitude towards GHV2 was the second part of revenge for the release of Amazing. Just a way to sabotage Warner and make the compilation less appealing

Nah. She didn't want to do it, she had just finished touring and was throwing herself straight into Swept Away.

In fact, let's blame Swept Away. If she hadn't done that awful shitty film, she'd have had a nice proper break after the tour and rejuvenated herself, by which time she will have had proper time to invest into GHV2 and include a couple of new songs and may have even promoted it with a proper single release.

It's never too late for Warner to revive the Immaculate Collection format.

MADONNA 2020: The Immaculate Celebration

A 4-disc Box celebrating the Queen of Pop's finest singles.

Also released as a 2-disc standard edition and a single disc abbreviated edition.

Available also on digital download, mobile app, vinyl and cassette.

:lmao:

I believe she commented on the timing of the release in interviews, saying something about how it felt right after the culmination of the tour.

I also believe this was a contractual obligation. She re-signed with Warner in 2002, so the final obligation of her 1992-signed contract was likely the release of a GH set.