New studio album: updates, rumours and discussion [new thread]

Re: Gaga. Couldn't those videos she shot have been for the tour?

Re: Madonna. I like the idea of an iTunes exclusive. To start. I think releasing the single in August and the album exclusively on iTunes in September would be cool if it was followed by a deluxe physical release with a bonus disc in November right in time for the holiday shopping season. Because you know we'd all buy the iTunes and then buy the CD two months later if it had exclusive material on it - and especially if the second single was only available on the CD (but then also available as a single download).

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna HAS TO PROMOTE with this album, we need a huge PR push.

I'm talking promo tours in the US, EUROPE AND JAPAN (like Confessions)

TV specials, a one hour Ellen sit down interview, award show performances, and magazine covers.

I DEMAND Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone and US Vogue!

Also at least 5 music videos and singles.

While I would love that. Promotion costs money. There's no point doing such heavy promotion to sell a few extra thousand copies. Look at MDNAs rankings in the charts and compare it to artists that promoted. There's only a few thousand sales difference. I bet we'll get slightly more promo than MDNA this time but I wouldn't expect another Confessions type era promo though

Beyonce's release was a first, the next one would not be as powerful or successful. It sounds a bit reductive to me (so probably it's Lady Gaga).

Yes Bestionce' was the first one but that (Itunes exclusive) is where the music industry is going to ....

Yes Bestionce' was the first one but that (Itunes exclusive) is where the music industry is going to ....

This idea seems to be new. but hasn't Annie Lennox already done something similar in the nineties?

Sorry Chelle but Madonna has to promote for nothing than the fans that she supposedly cares about so much.

You do TV show appearances and performances and video and magazine covers and photo shoots as a thank you FOR THE FANS.

So what if promo costs money, Madonna is rich enough that she could put up her own money for part of the promo.

I also think that Madonna finally realizes that not only does the album have to be good and she has to have a strong first single but what's the point of working hard and releasing an album that you're proud of if you don't promote it and the casual fan doesn't even know it's out (MDNA anyone )?

I also feel that Madonna realizes that if the album doesn't connect with fans than she can say goodbye to huge touring numbers

SHE HAS TO PROMOTE

Promotion is great and I love seeing her on tv and in magazines, but now with social media true fans will know about the album anyway. People say casual fans but that more applies to new artists. Hate to say it but people have made up their minds about Madonna, they either love her or they aren't interested in or actively dislike her. Promotion doesn't change that

Madonna will always be a huge touring artist even if the album isn't a hit or doesn't totally connect because people know she's an amazing performer and puts on a great live show. Albums are kind of passe anyway, it's all about the tour. Madonna sees that and has a vision for the future. Some people just cling to their past model but Madonna knows where it's at now.

It would be nice if she did more promotion just selfishly for me as a fan because I love seeing her and hearing what she has to say in interviews. So if she does more promotion, I will be happy but if she doesn't I won't get too upset and I don't think it will mean the next tour and era will be a flop.

Guest Rachelle of London

Sorry Chelle but Madonna has to promote for nothing than the fans that she supposedly cares about so much.

You do TV show appearances and performances and video and magazine covers and photo shoots as a thank you FOR THE FANS.

So what if promo costs money, Madonna is rich enough that she could put up her own money for part of the promo.

I also think that Madonna finally realizes that not only does the album have to be good and she has to have a strong first single but what's the point of working hard and releasing an album that you're proud of if you don't promote it and the casual fan doesn't even know it's out (MDNA anyone )?

I also feel that Madonna realizes that if the album doesn't connect with fans than she can say goodbye to huge touring numbers

SHE HAS TO PROMOTE

She doesn't do promo for the fans though. She does it to get exposure for the project she's working on, to recruit more fans. Her fans will buy her products without being on the cover of Vanity Fair. Madonnas personal wealth has nothing to do with making money for these projects. She has to earn money. She's bound by record contracts, touring agents, thousands of people that make their living working for or with her. Hardcore promotion is just not the thing to do anymore because record sales are so low. There just isn't much point. M and her team know that. She still sold 2 million records without any promotion. At this point in her career they just need to make sure they know how important the singles are and will entice more people to buy her album, not appearing on Jimmy Kimmel

That kind of article is fun when the text actually hides clues about the subkect's identity. This one is pointless because it could be anyone.

That said, M has been openly loving B for months so it is entirely possible she has gotten a hold of her people over at itunes. And the article does say the strategy would be TAILORED to the artist, not a repeat of B.

She doesn't do promo for the fans though. She does it to get exposure for the project she's working on, to recruit more fans. Her fans will buy her products without being on the cover of Vanity Fair. Madonnas personal wealth has nothing to do with making money for these projects. She has to earn money. She's bound by record contracts, touring agents, thousands of people that make their living working for or with her. Hardcore promotion is just not the thing to do anymore because record sales are so low. There just isn't much point. M and her team know that. She still sold 2 million records without any promotion. At this point in her career they just need to make sure they know how important the singles are and will entice more people to buy her album, not appearing on Jimmy Kimmel

I totally agree. But I do think doing a few interviews does help keep a connection with fans even ones that know about it already. It's nice to hear her point of view and how she feels about her new music. It makes you feel closer to her. So I think she should do some promotion when the album first comes out. She doesn't have to do hundreds of interviews with every publication and websites that ever existed. Just a few targeted ones of media with a huge audience. I would love to see her on the cover of Vogue just because I collect magazines. I like promotion where there are more indepth interviews where you really get to see how she feels and thinks. A lot of the daytime and nighttime talk shows I don't care about because they are so silly and superficial.

Apple Inc.’s music chief Robert Kondrk has been pressuring major labels for releases similar to last year's Beyonce exclusive, excluding services like YouTube and Spotify to help shore up slowing download sales, according to music executives familiar with the conversations.

While digital music track sales fell from 1.34 billion units to 1.24 billion units in 2013 due to the rise of streaming services like Spotify and YouTube, Beyoncé's album sold 1 million copies globally in a week iTunes alone.

Kondrk is using the album's success to sell label executives on the prospect of exclusively releasing albums on digital storefronts like iTunes. He told executives the exclusives don't have to be limited to iTunes as long as they weren't on streaming services like Spotify. The move would be to preserve sales on digital storefronts.

Finally, Kondrk asked executives if they could lock down individual track sales until after a certain window of time, which would then allow users to purchase individual music tracks and listen to albums on streaming services. This is in stark contrast to Steve Jobs' sell ofunbundled legal access to music when the iTunes Music Store was introduced in 2003.

In January, it was reported that digital music sales declined year-over-year for the first time since the opening of the iTunes Music Store as more users opt for streaming services such as Spotify, Rdio, Pandora and iTunes Radio.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/01/apple-pushing-itunes-exclusives/

Chelle you have a point to an extent but what's the point of working hard and being proud of a project when you're not even gonna promote it to let people know that it exists?

Imagine if Madonna didn't promote Ray of Light?

If you're proud of your work, you want everyone to know about it and enjoy it, right?

I also think we'll see a lot more promo because Madonna has no other project coming out besides the album, I'm still convinced that if WE didn't come out around the same time as MDNA that all the promo she did for WE would have been used for MDNA

The 1 hour interviews she did with Graham Norton and Anderson Cooper would have been used to promote MDNA instead of WE.

I just think that by the time MDNA came out, she was sick of doing more interviews with the media, because she had just done a lot of interviews for WE promo.

As for Vanity Fair and other big magazine covers, it's all "prestige" and it solidifies her A list status

Guest Rachelle of London

I totally agree. But I do think doing a few interviews does help keep a connection with fans even ones that know about it already. It's nice to hear her point of view and how she feels about her new music. It makes you feel closer to her. So I think she should do some promotion when the album first comes out. She doesn't have to do hundreds of interviews with every publication and websites that ever existed. Just a few targeted ones of media with a huge audience. I would love to see her on the cover of Vogue just because I collect magazines. I like promotion where there are more indepth interviews where you really get to see how she feels and thinks. A lot of the daytime and nighttime talk shows I don't care about because they are so silly and superficial.

I agree. I would LOVE it and if I had my way M would defo do some promo. However, I just don't think she cares about promo that much anymore. She even said on Ellen that guy had tricked her into doing that. I really want some great magazine shoots. I missed that during the MDNA era. But then we got that amazing tour.

I agree. I would LOVE it and if I had my way M would defo do some promo. However, I just don't think she cares about promo that much anymore. She even said on Ellen that guy had tricked her into doing that. I really want some great magazine shoots. I missed that during the MDNA era. But then we got that amazing tour.

It wouldn't even have to be an interview with conventional media. She could do a mini-documentary or an interview with a friend or someone who worked on the album and put in on youtube. Just something so her fans could get some insight into the album, her feelings, her personality and her music. I can understand why she doesn't like regular promo because it's so boring. They ask you really stupid boring repetitive questions, but she could do her own promo she created so to speak.

Cher did TONS of promo for her last album and she also makes the bulk of her money from touring.

She claimed in one interview that she's not big on tv performances and flying all over the world for interviews and performances, but the she DOES IT FOR THE FANS, that have stuck by her through the years.

It would be absolute CAREER SUICIDE if Madonna pulled that "non traditional promo" crap again with this album, the media would MASSACRE her because let's face it no matter how good the album is, if she doesn't promote it IT AINT GONNA SELL!

And the media will finally get their wish in proclaiming Madonna a flop and a has been

Remember the Roger Friedman MDNA second week sales drop debacle? It'll be 10 times worse and it will IMMEDIATELY put this new era in a negative light, which is exactly what happened with MDNA, which is said because I still think MDNA is one of her best albums.

Yes, but all this promo Cher did, what was the result? Was her album a huge hit? Promo is for non or casual fans, live tours are for dedicated true fans. Albums don't sell that much anymore anyway. Roger Friedman is always going to criticize Madonna for something. I don't think Madonna should be so concerned about what people think. All albums decline a lot in the second week. If you liked MDNA, why care so much what the media says or what other people think.

Honestly, she should just give the album out for free.

If she plans on not doing any big "traditional promo" this time around, then it's not a bad idea, it won't be able to chart but since it's for free, more people than would buy it would give it a listen and it'll only help concert ticket sales, which is where the REAL money is.

Also the media can't come out her for "flopping" like they did with MDNA, since the album was giving out for free.

Let me put it this way, unless she decides to give the album away for free, an idea I like it's the ultimate thank you present to longtime fans, than Madonna HAS TO PROMOTE

She likes to consider herself relevant and contemporary, OK fine, but then promote your music like all these other relevant and contemporary girls do!

There is also NO POINT of Madonna coming up with these great sounds and working with these great producers if nobody is gonna hear the damn thing, due to lack of promo and most people not even knowing that she has a new album out!

All her work and effort is pointless.

I can't believe that there are fans who are fine if Madonna doesn't promote

Were you guys here 2 years ago, when THIS ENTIRE BOARD went into meltdown mode after the second week MDNA drop? EVERYONE on here was calling for Guy O. to be fired, even William Orbit openly complained about her lack of promo with the album!

Everyone everywhere was calling Madonna a "flop" and a "has been", it was one of the lead stories on ABC News and I turned the channel in disbelief, do you guys really want a repeat of that again?

Honestly, she should just give the album out for free.

There's no professional incentive. She's not some niche alt music band. Madonna has a rep to maintain. She needs global number one debuts.

Guest Rachelle of London

Let me put it this way, unless she decides to give the album away for free, an idea I like it's the ultimate thank you present to longtime fans, than Madonna HAS TO PROMOTE

She likes to consider herself relevant and contemporary, OK fine, but then promote your music like all these other relevant and contemporary girls do!

There is also NO POINT of Madonna coming up with these great sounds and working with these great producers if nobody is gonna hear the damn thing, due to lack of promo and most people not even knowing that she has a new album out!

All her work and effort is pointless.

I can't believe that there are fans who are fine if Madonna doesn't promote

Were you guys here 2 years ago, when THIS ENTIRE BOARD went into meltdown mode after the second week MDNA drop? EVERYONE on here was calling for Guy O. to be fired, even William Orbit openly complained about her lack of promo with the album!

Everyone everywhere was calling Madonna a "flop" and a "has been", it was one of the lead stories on ABC News and I turned the channel in disbelief, do you guys really want a repeat of that again?

We were all here two years ago and this board did not go into a meltdown. Or dislike Guy O. Maybe you have mixed up forums.

Guest Rachelle of London

If she plans on not doing any big "traditional promo" this time around, then it's not a bad idea, it won't be able to chart but since it's for free, more people than would buy it would give it a listen and it'll only help concert ticket sales, which is where the REAL money is.

Also the media can't come out her for "flopping" like they did with MDNA, since the album was giving out for free.

You care way too much about what other people or the media think about Madonna. Which is ironic considering Madonna has never pandered to suit anyone. If you're looking for an artist that pries every news article written about her and prays that they haven't written a bad word I think you've got the wrong lady. Cos that sure isn't the Madonna we've all grown to love over the last 31 years.

There's no professional incentive. She's not some niche alt music band. Madonna has a rep to maintain. She needs global number one debuts.

Fine but to do that and too get people interested in her next tour she has too do at least some amount of promotion

The MDNA tour numbers while great, was a steep decline from the S&S tour numbers, the main reason being due to lack of promo and a bad lead single choice Madonna didn't have a huge worldwide #1 like 4 Minutes.

And Chelle everyone on here was flipping out 2 years ago after the great "MDNA second week drop off debacle of 2012".

There were threads with titles like "Should Guy Oseary be fired" and "Non Traditional Promo Disaster" and "Is this era a lost cause?"

They were huge threads that were filled to the max, EVERYONE was so upset at the lack of promo especially after her amazing Superbowl performance

I'll even go as far too say that the "MDNA non traditional promo" is probably singlehandedly the biggest mistake of Madonna's 30 year career, even more so than the Sex book.

I think she should do more promo this time around simply for the fact that she is Madonna and SHE, more than her fans, wants to stay on top of her game. I think a great mature organic passionate creative melodic album is more important than sales, but I also truly believe a great album with great sales together would be like a welcome rebirth to not just her fans but the general public and mainly to her because she has worked her ass off for years and I believe she deserves the highest positive praise.

^ thank you! That's exactly how I feel!

She's still putting out good work and working her ass off, she DESERVES all the praise in the world and more promo equals more sales and more "relevance" and yes even respect.

I think it's Gaga also but I know Madonna and her daughter went to her concert and M has said she really liked Bey's way of releasing her album so who know.

Gaga has the video, recorded pt 2 of artpop and puke to shock people to be Interrestied in her again.

Correction: the videos, it has been reported from time back that he has filmed various videos.

It's him.

Yes, but all this promo Cher did, what was the result? Was her album a huge hit? Promo is for non or casual fans, live tours are for dedicated true fans. Albums don't sell that much anymore anyway. Roger Friedman is always going to criticize Madonna for something. I don't think Madonna should be so concerned about what people think. All albums decline a lot in the second week. If you liked MDNA, why care so much what the media says or what other people think.

Apparently not as much as MDNA.

Blind stanning aside, she needs to do promo. End of it.