So how come Warner isn't pulling out anything from the vaults?

Apples388

This has been discussed at length here before. When the 360 deal with Live Nation was announced, there was also an article published in which it was discussed that Madonna's split with Warners had been amicable, and that, in a rare occurrence for a recording artist that leaves a record company, she retained control over her recorded output with Warners. In effect, this means that they can't release ANYTHING at all without her explicit permission.

The box set and the vinyl reissues were green lit by Madonna/Guy. Most artists don't retain this sort of control over their recorded work, which is why it was described as an unusual agreement. The fact that Warners were chosen to issue Sticky & Sweet after her contract was over supports the notion that the split was amicable. Basically, they couldn't afford to match Live Nation's offer, so they reluctantly let her walk.

:thumbsup:

This has been discussed at length here before. When the 360 deal with Live Nation was announced, there was also an article published in which it was discussed that Madonna's split with Warners had been amicable, and that, in a rare occurrence for a recording artist that leaves a record company, she retained control over her recorded output with Warners. In effect, this means that they can't release ANYTHING at all without her explicit permission. The box set and the vinyl reissues were green lit by Madonna/Guy. Most artists don't retain this sort of control over their recorded work, which is why it was described as an unusual agreement. The fact that Warners were chosen to issue Sticky & Sweet after her contract was over supports the notion that the split was amicable. Basically, they couldn't afford to match Live Nation's offer, so they reluctantly let her walk.

Had Interscope not struck their three-album deal to distribute Madonna's three albums under her Live Nation contract, it's highly possible that Warners would have ended up distributing them, too. Personally, I think she would have been better off for it, since Interscope proved with MDNA that they're really only interested in promoting their own artists (as opposed to those whose product they simply ship to stores). Having said that, they certainly haven't done Lady Gaga any favours with ARTpop. It's almost as though they want her to fail and either move on, or follow their advice more.

Thanks babe, that clears it all up.

Kinda morbid but maybe just maybe Warners is waiting until she croaked.....Seeing the business MJ generated when he died I'd say they are saving it for that....

Luckily that is not a viable strategy for Warner, because M will live to become at least 200 years old. :yes:

I thought that EVERY Madonna fan knew that Madonna has final approval on whether any SE remastered albums are released or not?

I mean nobodies like Belinda Carlisle have gotten special edition 2 disc releases with her first 4 albums

Don't you think that Warners would cream in their pants if Madonna gave them permission for SE releases?

Especially when you consider that her back catalogue is still a huge seller ALL OVER THE WORLD and she's one of the most played artists at radio with her back catalogue

I hate to say it, but just wait until Madonna dies...

Granted, the industry is in trouble so they may not make a lot of money and I suppose her stock at the moment isn't very high but I'd have still expected some cheapo cash-ins.

Quite the contrary

I thought that EVERY Madonna fan knew that Madonna has final approval on whether any SE remastered albums are released or not? I mean nobodies like Belinda Carlisle have gotten special edition 2 disc releases with her first 4 albums. Don't you think that Warners would cream in their pants if Madonna gave them permission for SE releases?

Especially when you consider that her back catalogue is still a huge seller ALL OVER THE WORLD and she's one of the most played artists at radio with her back catalogue. I hate to say it, but just wait until Madonna dies...

Precisely :thumbsup:

Suedehead, Madonna's stock is MUCH HIGHER than Belinda Carlisle or 99% of artists who get SE releases.

Sometimes I wonder if you're even a TRUE Madonna fan

In the UK it's not. Probably less bad in the USA.

Meaning? The world isn't all about the UK or the US you know :rotfl:

Everywhere in Europe (including the UK), Asia and Australia there is a huge demand for Madonna songs on the radio and she's one of the most played recording artists in public places. Her first Greatest Hits of almost 24 years ago is a constant catalogue best-seller worldwide.

Besides don't be so casual about it LOL. "Probably less bad in the USA" :rotfl:

Never mind she gave the Superbowl its biggest audience in almost 50 years. It's like you wondering why there hasn't been a tsunami of Madonna Warner re-releases in that other thread! And you also keep trying to make a point of how Madonna is less relevant in the UK than she once was. Who's more relevant than her there or in the rest of Europe for that matter then? Lily Allen, Kelly Minogue? :rotfl:

This reminds me of other posters in those awkward threads when Guy Ritchie is occasionally mentioned around here. It seems that now because they divorced she's not welcomed in the UK anymore. Hello, she was a huge star in the UK when Guy Ritchie was still wanking in boarding school. This is nothing personal against you but sometimes it gets a bit silly

You know better

Guest Rachelle of London

Suedehead, Madonna's stock is MUCH HIGHER than Belinda Carlisle or 99% of artists who get SE releases.

Sometimes I wonder if you're even a TRUE Madonna fan

He is a true fan and a well respected member of the Madonna fan community! How rude! At least he knew she was famous in Latin America!

^ sorry Chelle, but I wasn't sure how successful Madonna was in South America since I couldn't find her SA sales figures online.

Of course I knew Madonna is famous there, she's famous everywhere

Suedehead does seem to have a lot of negative connotations with his posts lately

That's all

This has been discussed at length here before. When the 360 deal with Live Nation was announced, there was also an article published in which it was discussed that Madonna's split with Warners had been amicable, and that, in a rare occurrence for a recording artist that leaves a record company, she retained control over her recorded output with Warners. In effect, this means that they can't release ANYTHING at all without her explicit permission. The box set and the vinyl reissues were green lit by Madonna/Guy. Most artists don't retain this sort of control over their recorded work, which is why it was described as an unusual agreement. The fact that Warners were chosen to issue Sticky & Sweet after her contract was over supports the notion that the split was amicable. Basically, they couldn't afford to match Live Nation's offer, so they reluctantly let her walk.

Had Interscope not struck their three-album deal to distribute Madonna's three albums under her Live Nation contract, it's highly possible that Warners would have ended up distributing them, too. Personally, I think she would have been better off for it, since Interscope proved with MDNA that they're really only interested in promoting their own artists (as opposed to those whose product they simply ship to stores). Having said that, they certainly haven't done Lady Gaga any favours with ARTpop. It's almost as though they want her to fail and either move on, or follow their advice more.

I still would love to see a link to that article. It's practically unheard of for a musical artist to maintain control of anything on a master tape owned by a record label. Look at Prince and MJJ - they didn't even have that kind of control. However, I can only assume that must be the case. She's been away from Warner for almost 4 years now and we haven't seen any cash cow releases from them. That cannot be a coincidence.

At this point, I think everyone should care less who the record label is. Madonna is an expensive artist to maintain (her royalty rate is very high as are her advances). She doesn't promote much at all anymore and prefers to focus on touring. How much profit margin can a record company expect to make on her? They can sign a bunch of indie artists for pennies and make a boatload of cash if those acts have a hit. The bottom line is that while Madonna still moves a healthy volume of records, she costs a lot and in the end she probably doesn't add a lot to their bottom line (unless they are getting some touring cash in a special deal).

I think she was finished with the record industry as a business model when Warner fucked her over with Maverick. After that, she was probably, "Fuck off, the whole lot of ya! I am gonna hit the road and make more money than your whole damn company."

No boxsets please. Because when that happens, individual albums may disappear. I love hunting for Madonna albums. I remember when I stumbled upon a record store and I saw they had lots of earlier albums, I bought them there on the spot: LAV, TB, LAP, Erotica, TIC, YCD. :drama:

^ sorry Chelle, but I wasn't sure how successful Madonna was in South America since I couldn't find her SA sales figures online.

Of course I knew Madonna is famous there, she's famous everywhere

Suedehead does seem to have a lot of negative connotations with his posts lately

That's all

Maybe he has some opinions, whether you like them or not. And if you go and visit that Avicci thread, he's one of the few that is happy about it.

Madonna isn't at her best moment now, and she's pretty irrelevant for people from 15 to 22, we like it or not. Of course, "irrelevant" in Madonna's term. Compared to other artists, she's on fire: she makes headlines just going out of a gym. But for Madonna standards, she's at her lowest ever.

^ Madonna SHOULD be irrelevant for people aged 15-22, she's 55 and has had a 30+ year career.

Of course she has fans of all ages

It still doesn't answer my point about SE rereleases

Madonna won't ALLOW Warners to do anything with her back catalogue, she has retaining of rights.

Meaning? The world isn't all about the UK or the US you know :rotfl:

Everywhere in Europe (including the UK), Asia and Australia there is a huge demand for Madonna songs on the radio and she's one of the most played recording artists in public places. Her first Greatest Hits of almost 24 years ago is a constant catalogue best-seller worldwide.

Besides don't be so casual about it LOL. "Probably less bad in the USA" :rotfl:

Never mind she gave the Superbowl its biggest audience in almost 50 years. It's like you wondering why there hasn't been a tsunami of Madonna Warner re-releases in that other thread! And you also keep trying to make a point of how Madonna is less relevant in the UK than she once was. Who's more relevant than her there or in the rest of Europe for that matter then? Lily Allen, Kelly Minogue? :rotfl:

This reminds me of other posters in those awkward threads when Guy Ritchie is occasionally mentioned around here. It seems that now because they divorced she's not welcomed in the UK anymore. Hello, she was a huge star in the UK when Guy Ritchie was still wanking in boarding school. This is nothing personal against you but sometimes it gets a bit silly

You know better

I have to agree with suedey that her stock isn't high in the Uk at the moment. Yes, the ic still sells but there is so much negativity in the media and public towards her. The MDNA tour was slow to sell and the album had gone after two months. I think it's down to petty jealousy and the press' constant negative portrayal of her. During Confessions she was huge here but then it all changed with 4minutes.

I can see why a band like nirvana get special editions because such artists are considered serious musicians but i don't think madonna's music is respected as much as it should be. People think it's just disposable pop so why would a Se be worth buying.

^ Madonna SHOULD be irrelevant for people aged 15-22, she's 55 and has had a 30+ year career.

Madonna won't ALLOW Warners to do anything with her back catalogue, she has retaining of rights.

I disagree. Saying that Madonna SHOULD be irrelevant to a particular age group is basically advocating for an ageist society. Surely Madonna has proven (and continues to prove) that age shouldn't be a barrier to anything? Should Madonna be irrelevant to men because she's a woman? Hardly! Why, then, should she be irrelevant to anyone because of her age? It SHOULD be all about the music, not the age of the artist. Of course, radio programmers seem to disagree, but we're discussing "SHOULD" be scenarios here.

I can see why a band like nirvana get special editions because such artists are considered serious musicians but i don't think madonna's music is respected as much as it should be. People think it's just disposable pop so why would a Se be worth buying.

What about all the ABBA Special Editions (which are actually brilliant, BTW)? ABBA are considered to be the epitome of "disposable pop" (I'd rather consider them brilliant myself!)....

So SHOULD Fleetwood Mac, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins and loads of other older artists be irrelevant to me? Because I started listening to these bands in my late teens / early 20s which was mid to late 2000s.

It's not about how old one is, it's generally about ones taste in music.

Jonski43, we already listed why Madonna doesn't have any SE album releases it's because of Madonna herself

And Madonna's back catalogue is generally regarded as the best of any female pop star of all time.

As for Nirvana, they don't and never had anywhere close to the global reach of Madonna, I know people that LOATHE Madonna but like a couple of her songs and even own TIC.

Madonna will probably start releasing Special Editions after she retires and after she gets together with Warners.

Jonski43 wasn't 4 Minutes big in the UK? I believe it went to #1

Yes it was massive, but it wasn't loved like Hung Up and the media's attitude really changed when she started dating younger men and it's gone down from there to very negative now.

Jonski43, we already listed why Madonna doesn't have any SE album releases it's because of Madonna herself

And Madonna's back catalogue is generally regarded as the best of any female pop star of all time.

As for Nirvana, they don't and never had anywhere close to the global reach of Madonna, I know people that LOATHE Madonna but like a couple of her songs and even own TIC.

Madonna will probably start releasing Special Editions after she retires and after she gets together with Warners.

Well you stated your opinion but you have not presented any evidence to say she has the best back catalogue of all time which is purely subjective. What about artists like Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell who are widely respected internationally? All you've done is present your opinion as fact. She might be the most successful but that doesn't mean she's automatically the most respected.

She already allowed remasters of her first three albums so why would she refuse remastered versions of the others? Perhaps Warner's considered it but calculated the returns aren't worth the effort so it never even got to the stage of asking her if she wanted a Lap remaster. We have no idea what has been considered and what madonna May or may not have turned down already.

I think madonna is considered a singles artist apart from a couple of essential albums such as LAP. and ROL hence the continued sakes of IC.

Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell, while resoected aren't considered pop and are barely known/famous to a huge percentage of the world population.

Madonna has an insanely committed fanbase that buy up almost anything released by her.

Are you actually trying to tell me that SE releases of LAV, TB, LAP and ROL some of the most iconic and biggest selling female albums of all time wouldn't sell?

Yet SE releases of albums by KB and JM would? I know who they are but I can't even name one song by them and I follow music!

And per her leaving Warner's, Madonna was givien the rather unprecedented retaining rights on her back catalogue

3 remastered CD'S is one thing, like back in 2001 but Madonna DOES NOT want to release a 2 disc SE od her classic albums with unreleased songs, because she feels that it will confirm her as a "nostalgia " artist

Madonna didn't even wanna release all those greatest hit sets but it was in her Warner's contract

I remember in that Attitude interview from 2005 they asked Madonna about a Like a Prayer remaster, and even though she just said she didn't know anything about it, she didn't actively say she was against it or uninterested in the idea.

Yes it was massive, but it wasn't loved like Hung Up and the media's attitude really changed when she started dating younger men and it's gone down from there to very negative now.

I can't remember the UK press ever loving Madonna outside of the Confessions era maybe. What's said about her now isn't all that different from what was said about her in the 80's and the 90's.

I'm sure Madonna doesn't give two fucks about how the media portrays her anyway, and unlike for most of the 00's, she no longer permanently lives in the UK, so probably has less affection for the market than she did in the past.

Guest Rachelle of London

She's the most successful artist in the UK. Who cares about the press anyway. Her fan base here can never be matched by any other artist. Ms not fretting about the Daily Mail :lmao:

Well you stated your opinion but you have not presented any evidence to say she has the best back catalogue of all time which is purely subjective. What about artists like Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell who are widely respected internationally? All you've done is present your opinion as fact. She might be the most successful but that doesn't mean she's automatically the most respected.

She already allowed remasters of her first three albums so why would she refuse remastered versions of the others? Perhaps Warner's considered it but calculated the returns aren't worth the effort so it never even got to the stage of asking her if she wanted a Lap remaster. We have no idea what has been considered and what madonna May or may not have turned down already.

I think madonna is considered a singles artist apart from a couple of essential albums such as LAP. and ROL hence the continued sakes of IC.

Don't agree with this at all. Madonna has been a superstar for 3 decades. She is hugely popular and respected just about everywhere internationally and who cares what the tabloid press think of her. I also don't think she is thought of as a singles artist. It is simply that her singles have been so successful and so many of them have been hits, that they are remembered and loved greatly. Every album she has released has fantastic songs that have not been released as singles.