Did Madonna hit on the Pharrell sound before it became big ?

markm

I like Hard Candy very much but let's not re-write history and pretend it was some kind of lost masterpiece that was ahead of its time. It's an enjoyable record, with some solid production, strong melodies, and interesting themes/lyrics from Madonna but the overall sound was tired - even back in 2008; and Madonna's vocals leave a lot to be desired.

In the grand scheme of things, not one of her best albums, but still perfectly serviceable.

Guest Rachelle of London

I joined this forum just after HC and I couldn't believe the amount of hate it got. I didn't post for my first 6 months!

HC is LIFE

Pharell's sound right now is different to his sound 6 years ago. Way more funkier and no R&B sound at all, which is not the case for HC: As Suedehead said, let's not rewrite history. HC is a relict of the Timbaland R&B era of the mid to late 00's, M was jumping on a bandwagon. Take it as you will.

That being said, I personally don't think it's a 'bad' album at all, despite the dated sound and all that. While being far from one of her best in terms of subtility / depth of the music, it's got a lot of neatly-produced dance / up-tempo songs. I was just thinking about it when I put my list together of her most euphoric songs in that other thread here; HC really does contain a lot of songs which get you into a perfect mood and keep you going all the time. Actually, to be honest here, if I felt like listening to a Madonna album to get me feeling great and you know, just making me jam around, I would most likely pick Hard Candy out of all her 12 albums. Yes, for a subtle listening experience, there always is LAP or ROL, but they're far away from the joyous euphoric sound of the HC songs.

Wow! So happy for the all the love HC is getting now. You guys said it all perfectly well re the awesomeness of this album. I have nothing to add anymore. :) But I want to share that I was totally blown away when i heard for the first time the HC tracks thru file sharing of the fans on the net. A heady rush kind of feeling! Never felt that kind of fantastic sonic experience since the ROL album.

HC is the album I can listen to from start to finish without skipping. Give it 2 Me, Incredible & Heartbeat are life! Pharrell is really perfect for Madonna. They should have work more together.

But Spanish Lesson should have been replaced by Latte though. :)

I really appreciate both the Timbaland (since the 90s) & Pharrell sounds. Im addicted to HC from day 1! ;)

I want to share that I was totally blown away when i heard for the first time the HC tracks thru file sharing of the fans on the net. A heady rush kind of feeling! Never felt that kind of fantastic sonic experience since the ROL album.

I did too! I remember hearing the few second clips from a foreign website. I got chills when I heard those crazy GI2M synths during the chorus and the melody of incredible.

Can't believe it's been 6 yrs

Give It 2 Me! YEAH!!!!

top-20-madonna-hot-gifs-give-it-2-me-wal

I did too! I remember hearing the few second clips from a foreign website. I got chills when I heard those crazy GI2M synths during the chorus and the melody of incredible.

Can't believe it's been 6 yrs

All the comparisons of GI2M to Blurred Lines ... Hmm. I actually think GI2M is the more progressive, daring track. Blurred Lines is much more of a throwback/retro sound. GI2M borrows that beat/bass line, but marries it with those acid-washed synths in the chorus. (Oh, and the "Get Stupid" break in the middle did have a very strong Gwen vibe, but that's cool, because I love me some Gwen, too.)

If I remember correctly people mostly agreed that HC had killer music, but lame ass lyrics/vocals. Or am I wrong? What Pharrell does is great. Spanish Lesson is the perfect example of how killer beats are completely ruined by pathetic lyrics and whiny vocals, IMO.