Did Madonna hit on the Pharrell sound before it became big ?

markm

Music reach #1 when she was 42, and Don't Tell, Die Another Day, Hung Up and 4 Minutes were in the Top 10 in her 40s.... GMAYL Top 10 with 53 YO.

Yeah Madonna managed to get some radio hits in her 40s, but she was also getting tons of shit for her age also. I can recall DJs playing her music and then after a song they would crack jokes about her age or some shit.

Having Justin Timberlake on 4 Minutes didn't hurt and as for GMAYL it did good the first week because of the radio deal, but once that was up the song was flung out the window. Of course maybe if it was a good song things might have been different. And Hung Up should have been a MASSIVE radio hit like it was in every other country. Its impact in America was still huge as the video was massive and the song was blowing up iTunes, but all of this sure didn't make radio hop on board on a large scale. I am sure her age had some impact with that.

Pharrells been a successful producer since the mid nighties and his work with SWV.

Yes I am familiar with Pharrells work when he was in NERD, The Neptunes and SWV.

But I think the stuff he did on HC is very similar to the stuff he is producing now especially on some of the tracks on his new album.

Oh and I agree with others Blurred Lines is basically Give It To Me.

I believe YES, she was ahead of time.

But, by the time she released HC, we all claimed she was following the trend.

Love HC by the way!

It's so strange some of the trackside HC that I hated - Incredible and Heartbeat I really like now.

I wonder if she will add any of the tracks from HC to the setlist on her next tour.

Yes I am familiar with Pharrells work when he was in NERD, The Neptunes and SWV.

But I think the stuff he did on HC is very similar to the stuff he is producing now especially on some of the tracks on his new album.

Oh and I agree with others Blurred Lines is basically Give It To Me.

I get what you're saying. Just listened the new album and there's a lot of HC in there. There's a song (can't recall the name) where he uses the wooh..wooh of "Incredible". Pretty much the whole beat.

I get what you're saying. Just listened the new album and there's a lot of HC in there. There's a song (can't recall the name) where he uses the wooh..wooh of "Incredible". Pretty much the whole beat.

Thank you. The bass lines and the production on his new album are very similar to HC.

I think she was definitely ahead of the groove with HC. It's a shame some of us including me didn't give her the credit she deserves.

YES. Give it To Me and Beat Goes On are today's sound.

About Kylie, the story i read was that she was crying because she was feeling down and Pharrel cheered her up. He didn't make her cry.

Guest Rachelle of London

I miss Pharells grittier sounding stuff. I can't deal with this happy clappy crap he's just released

Pharrell is a genius! Im a big fan of his works especially the N.E.R.D era during the early 00s. Give it 2 Me is the best song he has done in years! Much better than Blurred Lines. :)

I love HC and to this day,I am still angry that "She's Not Me" and "Beat Goes On" weren't released as singles.Those two songs had more hit potential than anything on MDNA.What a missed opportunity.

I'm really enjoying Pharrell's new CD,I know it will never happen,but I'd love for him to work with Madonna again.

Give It To Me always sounded like the more well-behaved sister of this:

I like this shit he just did, also GI2M-ish but with more funk and soul

It's the Pharrell sound.

Didn't know Gina Davis was doing music now.

Pharrell is the best urban producer of our times. He is the new Nile Rodgers.

I agree.If Madonna wants to add a little bit of R&B on her album,Pharrell is the guy to go to.

I miss Pharells grittier sounding stuff. I can't deal with this happy clappy crap he's just released

Go listen to his new album G I R L, except "Happy", all the other songs are pure Pharrell orgasmic groove updated with a touch of '2014 funk revival !

I agree with this discussion, M & Pharrell were 5 years ahead of the trend with HC.

Actually at the moment of the HC release, we were just at the end of the Timbaland type of rnb era, dark atmosphere, beat a la Bubba sparks "Ugly". Nelly's "Loose " & Justin's "Future Sex/lovesounds" albums have been released at the pick of the era, mid 2006 and with no surprise they have been huge. The era started to fade slowly during 2008, the moment HC was being released.

Pharrell, who must have an undeniable 6th sense about what's the next urban sound, must have felt that next there would be a funky revival and created tracks like GI2M, She's not me, etc... Everything was perfect, except no one knew a new and totally unexpected era was about to happen before: The EDM era ! Guetta arrived with kelly Rowland and their "When love takes over", then Guetta & Akon's "Sexy bitch" and here we were... ! 5 years of non-stop EDM, and then last year in 2013, Robin Thicke arrived with a brand new updated funky sound with "Blurred Lines", then daft Punk with with Nile Rodgers and Pharrell and their "Get Lucky", which were the biggest hits of the year, and a new era was beginning ! All the EDM charts toppers from the last 5 years (Guetta, Redone, etc) started to fall off the top 10 one after the other. The new funky sound Pharrell & M have created in 2008 was happening, with a little delay of 5 years ;-).

Guest Rachelle of London

Go listen to his new album G I R L, except "Happy", all the other songs are pure Pharrell orgasmic groove updated with a touch of '2014 funk revival !

I've listened to it. I mean his gritty hip hop stuff. The work he did with Clipse, Kelis, mystikal etc. not a fan of the new stuff at all

Guest Rachelle of London

I love Pharrell's work with M on Hard Candy but no, she didn't "make" him, he was already interesting and had some great work beforehand.

+1

I love Pharrell's work with M on Hard Candy but no, she didn't "make" him, he was already interesting and had some great work beforehand.

Who said Madonna made Pharrell?

I think what some of us are saying is the songs that Pharell produced and the sound he created on HC are very "now". So did Madonna's instincts tell her that the urban R&B sound with big baselines was going to be big again?

Agree with others. Pharrell has been doing his thing with the Neptunes as well as solo for a while now.

SPANISH LESSON IS LIFE.

KNOW THIS.

No it's all about " Beat Goes On". Fun, melodic, dope track!!!!

I love it.

It makes me happy when I hear it. I have to dance every time.

Pharrell did wonders with Timberlake. Those songs originally written for Michael Jackson are glorious. The Neptunes tracks were great too! Madonna wanted Pharrell precisely because she knew he was great.