Did Madonna hit on the Pharrell sound before it became big ?

markm

Ok so the Pharrell sound that is popular now sounds very similar to tracks he produced on Hard Cardy.

So was Madonna ahead of time? Did she start the trend? If Give It To Me and Beat Goes On were released today would they be huge hit songs?

No.

He had hits and was big for a few years before Hard Candy. And when he was with The Neptunes was it?

Anyway he was kind of tired by the time Madonna got around to him. Its only now he has having this resurgence again.

I remember reading last year that quite a few people were commenting that Blurred Lines sounde like GI2M.

I have to admit that I wasn't that keen on Hard Candy but I played it in full at the weekend and it sounded surprisingly fresher

than it did a few years ago.

Spanish Lesson is still dreadful though.

She caught him midway between Neptunes /NERD and the resurgence last year.

It has to be said, he's turned out some great songs although several lend themselves to the Marvin Gaye Got To Give It up style sound, particularly Blurred LInes but also GI2M.

Well, Blurred Lines does sound like Give It 2 Me (Part II) so I'd say she was a bit ahead of her time with that one. But some people (most people) don't want to give so much credit to Hard Candy, I guess.

No.

He had hits and was big for a few years before Hard Candy. And when he was with The Neptunes was it?

Anyway he was kind of tired by the time Madonna got around to him. Its only now he has having this resurgence again.

But the resurgence he is having now is not too dissimilar to the stuff he did on HC

By the way. I love how no one makes a big deal about people like Pharrell, Eminem, and Jay-Z being in their 40s and radio spins them with no question, yet when a female pop star hits that age they start to become Top 40 fodder and are banished to the wastelands pretty much.

Double standard much?

What is the Pharrell sound exactly? He has worked with lots of different artists and done different things so I'm not sure he has one sound. There is a merging of dance and funkiness and R&B recently that is somewhat similiar to Hard Candy.

Well, Blurred Lines does sound like Give It 2 Me (Part II) so I'd say she was a bit ahead of her time with that one. But some people (most people) don't want to give so much credit to Hard Candy, I guess.

I'd be the first to admit I really didn't like HC when it was released but I was coming off a HUGE high from the Confesions era.

I guess I thought HC was too much off a departure after COADF when really I didnt give it a chance. There are some really good songs

on the album.

By the way. I love how no one makes a big deal about people like Pharrell, Eminem, and Jay-Z being in their 40s and radio spins them with no question, yet when a female pop star hits that age they start to become Top 40 fodder and are banished to the wastelands pretty much.

Double standard much?

Oh yes I was thinking the same the other day. Pharrell has had 3 #1s in his 40s all of them hsve been huge radio hits.

Agree don't think M was ahead because of working with Pharrell, however, HC is the most fun M album to listen to besides her first album.

Also, admit the album never quite reached it's full potential because of a few noticeable flaws.

He also has massive hits with Gwen Stafani as well.

Guest Sweet Tooth

Double standard much?

It's a Man's World

Same with old actors who can freely have a young female co-star as a love interest.

All the scripts for a female romantic lead for the over-the-hill actresses are rare.

Don't go hating on Spanish Lesson. Anyway, his work was the best on HC. The Timbo tracks were good but something felt weird. I do can't deny my love for D2N and MA though. But Pretty Boy > Timbo/ers.

Double standard much?

Music reach #1 when she was 42, and Don't Tell, Die Another Day, Hung Up and 4 Minutes were in the Top 10 in her 40s.... GMAYL Top 10 with 53 YO.