March 8, 1994 - "I'LL REMEMBER (Theme From With Honors)"

Mattress

With jazz singer Jimmy Scott at Tavern On The Green in Central Park, New York City:

madjimmy_zpsb87f80d7.png

"Jimmy Scott is the only singer who'd ever really made me cry, he is like no other!"

A few months later, she invited him to appear in her next music video, "Secret":

200509_059a_span9.jpg?1230015916

Love it!

How I wish Madge can do another acid Jazz song.

it's hard to say. The Letterman appearance made some people (more) apprehensive about Madonna but at the same time it got her so much press that a lot of people probably found out about the new single because of the Late Show debacle.

its was a hit thanks to Letterman appearance

remember that she was coming from Erotica backlash

its was a hit thanks to Letterman appearance

remember that she was coming from Erotica backlash

Uh, NO. If anything, IR was a hit in spite of Letterman. At best, it did no harm.

Wetlands... March 23, 1994:

115315721-madonna-during-madonna-at-wetl

Wetlands as in the NYC club? I used to go to that place every weekend in the late '90s. R.I.P.

I love DykeDonna :inlove:

It was such a bizarre period. Post-backlash, pre-BS. She was one of the biggest pop stars in the world, but yet seemed like she was trying to figure out who to be. R&B, hip-hop and grunge were all the rage.

^ You're acting like it's a well-known fact that IR did well because of the Letterman scandal. It's a fun theory, but there is absolutely no evidence to back it up. It was released more than three weeks earlier and was already receiving healthy airplay. Even if getting her name in the papers did generate some interest in the song (which makes no sense to me, since the coverage was incredibly negative and seemed to turn most people off from what I recall), it wouldn't have lasted for as long as it did. The song became one of her longest-running hits.

I think it was huge because of the movie, soundtrack singles were big back then.

I don't think it had anything to do with Letterman.

She should have put it on Celebration, it's one of her finest ballads.

I think I've only started appreciating this song recently. Can't stop listening to it now! It feels very nostalgic.

Edited by tasteinmen

Wetlands as in the NYC club? I used to go to that place every weekend in the late '90s. R.I.P.

Yeah! Cool that you were able to go before it closed.

It was such a bizarre period. Post-backlash, pre-BS. She was one of the biggest pop stars in the world, but yet seemed like she was trying to figure out who to be. R&B, hip-hop and grunge were all the rage.

I think to get through her divorce from Sean Penn, she threw herself into her career, building/securing iconic status for herself in the process. That phase peaked with the Sex book and she admitted she was lost after the Erotica era ended. She was searching as we all do at different points during our lives, only she had to do it in front of the entire world.

At least it looks like she had a considerable amount of fun. :D