Why do we hate her guitar?

drunkbysix

As a guitar player, I can say this: Guitar snobs found her guitar solo on "Candy Perfume Girl" on Drowned World Tour laughable. It was akin to Neil Youngs guitar solo on "Cinnamon Girl": all ONE NOTE.

Madonna HAS improved but, she will NEVER be a great guitar player because one has to practice to master anything. Lately Madonna seems more concerned with other things (MDNA Skin, Gyms, Clothing lines). For someone who claims that it's "always been about the music", it's disappointing.

I play A LITTLE GUITAR but I disagree here quite vociferously. Some of the best guitar solos are extremely simple. Sometimes they convoluted shredding/lead lines/5 sting solos that you hear are so dull and predictable. Some of my favourite guitar songs are extremely simple. I feel like Madonna probably instinctively is drawn to rhythmic guitar because she's a dancer. I guess if she was a full time guitarist she would be a lot better. If most guitarists performed elaborate dance numbers for the equivalent portion of their tour as Madonna does on Guitar...you'd see some embarrassing sights. When you look at it like that you see how versatile she is. Prince is about the only person I can think of right now who is that flexible.

I play A LITTLE GUITAR but I disagree here quite vociferously. Some of the best guitar solos are extremely simple. Sometimes they convoluted shredding/lead lines/5 sting solos that you hear are so dull and predictable. Some of my favourite guitar songs are extremely simple. I feel like Madonna probably instinctively is drawn to rhythmic guitar because she's a dancer. I guess if she was a full time guitarist she would be a lot better. If most guitarists performed elaborate dance numbers for the equivalent portion of their tour as Madonna does on Guitar...you'd see some embarrassing sights. When you look at it like that you see how versatile she is. Prince is about the only person I can think of right now who is that flexible.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE when Madonna plays guitar. I was THRILLED when she did CPG on Drowned. What I was trying to say is that guitar players tend to be VERY critical of other guitar players and that's what I was pointing out in my post. I've seen musicians argue FOR HOURS about who is the better guitarist. I think Madonna is GOOD. When her and Monte rock it out together, it's amazing. I love TUTR and IDGA on MDNA, way more interesting than the album versions. I should have made my post more clear. I LOVE Guitardonna!