MadonnaNation.com Forums
tumbleweedt

Madonna's art collection: what works of art does she own?

Fantastic thread . She's great taste in art that's for sure. I'm pretty certain her collection is massive too.

This painting which M instagrammed in early 2013 is by the hand of Brooklyn-based artist CHARLES MILLER. It is a portrait of Jackie “Kid” Berg, considered one of Britain’s greatest boxers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4354243.stm). In early 2007 there was an exhibit of Miller's boxer paintings in NYC (http://jewishboxers.com/index.html). I’m assuming M owns this painting also because she has a thing for boxing: attending fights with Sean, incorporating boxing in the Girlie Show tour, presenting Ali with an award around 1995, the Hard Candy pics, etc.

CHARLES MILLER, Jackie “Kid” Berg (2002), Oil on linen, 18x20 inches.

Charles_Miller_Jack_Kid_Berg_2002_zpsd38

This work of art by RAY CAESAR – called “Fallen” (2013) was Instagrammed by M in early 2014 and discussed in the “Instagram III” thread. It was shown at the Corey Helford Gallery, Culver City in April 2013 (http://artchival.pro...com/thread/8198).

Caesar_Ray_Caesar_Fallen_2013_zps3bf15c1

Ray Caesar's "Fallen" (2013) UltraChrome ink on paper, 40" x 30".

A description of his work found on the net:

His surreal and oftentimes disturbing digital works are painstakingly created in three-dimensional modeling programs and then staged in detailed environments. These are then released as limited editions in a chosen orientation and because of the freedoms afforded by this process.

Apparently Madonna appreciated Caesar’s work so much that she asked him to do a portrait of her. From The Globe and Mail, 29/01/2011 interview with Ray Caesar: Madonna has requested commissioned pieces but Caesar says he works too intuitively to oblige. “I desperately want to, but how do I do it? People want portraits. I don’t do portraits.”

P.S.

In the picture of the painting that Madonna shared on Instagram the reflection of ANOTHER painting is visible behind the photographer's silhouette, depicting….rabbits. And so the search for Madonna's art collection continues….

Caesar_Ray_Caesar_Fallen_2013_M_picture_

Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes! :naughty: :laugh:

UPDATE:

The painting with the bunnies is by HUNT SLONEM. He paints them a lot. :laugh: I think M may have been visiting the Vered Art Gallery, which shows works by Slonem, Ray Caesar and….Steven Klein. The Vered Gallery is into many artists that M loves: http://www.veredart.com/page/6/about-vered/

Example of Hunt Slonem bunnies:

bunnies48x48.jpg

So, I think there's a good chance that M took that pic of Ray Caesar's "Fallen" - with some of Hunt Slonem's bunnies in the reflection - at the Vered art gallery. For instance at the Preview 2013 exhibition featuring Caesar, Slonem and Klein: http://www.veredart.com/exhibitions/?e=27

What do you guys think?

those rabbits could be from the comic artist from the comic book about bunnies trying to kill themselves. he did an interview in our country years ago & said he preferred dinner with M over something work related :p he's british.

I've been googling rabbit art (lol) but found nothing.

@Nikki: I googled the Bunny suicides book but the style is different. Good idea though!

I've been googling rabbit art (lol) but found nothing.

@Nikki: I googled the Bunny suicides book but the style is different. Good idea though!

yeah they don't look that alike.. unless he maybe did a separate big illustration just for M.. other than him i can't think of any artist who uses bunnies though. maybe it's just a drawing from her kids :)

Doesn't she like Erté as well? I heard it somewhere she's a fan of the Art Deco period and loved his designs, though I'm not sure she owns any works by him.

Can someone pin this thread? Everybody needs to see this!

Updated post #79 of this thread. Identified the artist behind the bunnies' painting. :chuckle:

Good job! :clap: How did you find him?!

UPDATE:

The painting with the bunnies is by HUNT SLONEM. He paints them a lot. :laugh: I think M may have been visiting the Vered Art Gallery, which shows works by Slonem, Ray Caesar and….Steven Klein. The Vered Gallery is into many artists that M loves: http://www.veredart.com/page/6/about-vered/

Example of Hunt Slonem bunnies:

bunnies48x48.jpg

So, I think there's a good chance that M took that pic of Ray Caesar's "Fallen" - with some of Hunt Slonem's bunnies in the reflection - at the Vered art gallery. For instance at the Preview 2013 exhibition featuring Caesar, Slonem and Klein: http://www.veredart.com/exhibitions/?e=27

What do you guys think?

I think this is the one! Good job!

Can someone pin this thread? Everybody needs to see this!

I agree. Great thread and very positive!

Madonna posted a nude photo on Instagram (which now seems to be removed). I only saw it once, and it was cropped, but I knew immediately that it was this photo:

1_Helmut-Newton_Tied-up-torso_Ramatuelle

Helmut Newton, Tied up Torso, Ramatuelle, 1980

Below a picture from what appears to be a Finnish magazine. This photo was taken at M's Wallace Neff designed Roxbury Drive home in LA. It shows two paintings:

1. A painting probably by PAUL GAUGUIN. above the mantlepiece. Don't yet know title and year. Anyone does?

2. On the small table to the left of the mantlepiece: THE painting by FRIDA KAHLO, titled MY BIRTH (1932)! :dramatic::dramatic::dramatic: For a clear photo of My Birth (1932), please see page 1 of this thread.

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_16_zpscc2

The picture below comes from the same Finnish magazine as the previous post.

Two images, not sure if the second one is a painting:

1. Above the bed we can see the so far anonymous painting that was already noted in post #68 on page 3 of this thread;

2. To the right of the window an image of a little girl. Due to the fuzziness of the picture of the room, I'm not entirely sure whether it's a painting (reminds me of Manet and Degas, but I think the frame looks way too cheap for that) or a photo (young Lola?).

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_15_zpsaa2

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

In the Aperture interview posted by Nikki in post #10 on page 1 of this thread, Madonna mentions that she has a photo by MAN RAY hanging in her office entitled Lee Miller Kissing a Woman (ca 1930). This is the photo:

Man_Ray_1930_Lee_Miller_Kissing_a_Woman_

Madonna posted a nude photo on Instagram (which now seems to be removed). I only saw it once, and it was cropped, but I knew immediately that it was this photo:

Helmut Newton, Tied up Torso, Ramatuelle, 1980

THANKS MerGirl! Fabulous! :kiss2::tigger: