MadonnaNation.com Forums
tumbleweedt

Madonna's art collection: what works of art does she own?

Updated post #79 of this thread. Identified the artist behind the bunnies' painting. :chuckle:

Good job! :clap: How did you find him?!

UPDATE:

The painting with the bunnies is by HUNT SLONEM. He paints them a lot. :laugh: I think M may have been visiting the Vered Art Gallery, which shows works by Slonem, Ray Caesar and….Steven Klein. The Vered Gallery is into many artists that M loves: http://www.veredart.com/page/6/about-vered/

Example of Hunt Slonem bunnies:

bunnies48x48.jpg

So, I think there's a good chance that M took that pic of Ray Caesar's "Fallen" - with some of Hunt Slonem's bunnies in the reflection - at the Vered art gallery. For instance at the Preview 2013 exhibition featuring Caesar, Slonem and Klein: http://www.veredart.com/exhibitions/?e=27

What do you guys think?

I think this is the one! Good job!

Can someone pin this thread? Everybody needs to see this!

I agree. Great thread and very positive!

Madonna posted a nude photo on Instagram (which now seems to be removed). I only saw it once, and it was cropped, but I knew immediately that it was this photo:

1_Helmut-Newton_Tied-up-torso_Ramatuelle

Helmut Newton, Tied up Torso, Ramatuelle, 1980

Below a picture from what appears to be a Finnish magazine. This photo was taken at M's Wallace Neff designed Roxbury Drive home in LA. It shows two paintings:

1. A painting probably by PAUL GAUGUIN. above the mantlepiece. Don't yet know title and year. Anyone does?

2. On the small table to the left of the mantlepiece: THE painting by FRIDA KAHLO, titled MY BIRTH (1932)! :dramatic::dramatic::dramatic: For a clear photo of My Birth (1932), please see page 1 of this thread.

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_16_zpscc2

The picture below comes from the same Finnish magazine as the previous post.

Two images, not sure if the second one is a painting:

1. Above the bed we can see the so far anonymous painting that was already noted in post #68 on page 3 of this thread;

2. To the right of the window an image of a little girl. Due to the fuzziness of the picture of the room, I'm not entirely sure whether it's a painting (reminds me of Manet and Degas, but I think the frame looks way too cheap for that) or a photo (young Lola?).

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_15_zpsaa2

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

In the Aperture interview posted by Nikki in post #10 on page 1 of this thread, Madonna mentions that she has a photo by MAN RAY hanging in her office entitled Lee Miller Kissing a Woman (ca 1930). This is the photo:

Man_Ray_1930_Lee_Miller_Kissing_a_Woman_

Madonna posted a nude photo on Instagram (which now seems to be removed). I only saw it once, and it was cropped, but I knew immediately that it was this photo:

THANKS MerGirl! Fabulous! :kiss2::tigger:

OMG, so she has a Gauguin, Picasso, Kahlo, Kandinsky, Dali, Leger,....

Only the best of modern art. love her.

1_Helmut-Newton_Tied-up-torso_Ramatuelle

Does she own this? Was the original picture on Instagram from her home? Perhaps hanging in David and Mercy's room? Lol

The picture below comes from the same Finnish magazine as the previous post.

Two images, not sure if the second one is a painting:

1. Above the bed we can see the so far anonymous painting that was already noted in post #68 on page 3 of this thread;

2. To the right of the window an image of a little girl. Due to the fuzziness of the picture of the room, I'm not entirely sure whether it's a painting (reminds me of Manet and Degas, but I think the frame looks way too cheap for that) or a photo (young Lola?).

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_15_zpsaa2

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Stylistically it's suggestive or a painting especially taking into consideration the background of the works subject. I feel like I recognise it from somewhere but I really can't figure it out. I assume it's a prayer scene and I'm not actually sure it's a (young) child.

Does she own this? Was the original picture on Instagram from her home? Perhaps hanging in David and Mercy's room? Lol

She probably photographed the print inside a coffee table book of Helmut Newton's work.

tumble, are you sure it's a leger and not a kandinsky that paiting?

tumble, are you sure it's a leger and not a kandinsky that painting?

Well, when I first saw that picture of the artwork above Lola's play table, I was sure I could read KANDINSKY at the bottom right. So I spent half a day ravaging through Kandinsky images on internet. When I couldn't find anything, I threw in the towel and took a look at some LEGER artworks. Below are three Léger artworks that make me think the Madonna-owned piece is indeed Léger. Main reasons: similarity of style and the way Léger signed his name as "Initial, Surname, Year made", i.e. as "F. LEGER'00".

However, despite a motherfucking DEEP DIVE into LEGER images, that made my irises turn Cubist, I have not yet found any trace of the artwork in question.

> > Below artworks are EXAMPLE pieces, NOT OWNED BY MADONNA (afaik) < <

Fernand Léger, Composition à la Marguerite (1944)

Leger_1930_danseuse_rouge_zpse09eb4c0.jp

Fernand Léger, Eléments mécaniques (1952)

Leger_1952_Elements_mechaniques_zps112d5

Fernand Léger, Title unknown to me. Photo taken at Joan Crawford's NY apartment after she passed away.

Leger_owned_by_joan_crawford_zps2bbea0e5

Would love to hear your and other people's thoughts and HELPING EYES / SEARCHES on this. :tigger:

OFF TOPIC...I JUST SAW AN EXHIBITION HERE IN ROME ABOUT SOME PAINTINGS OF THE WASHINGTON'S NATIONAL GALLERY..... WHAT A TREAT....A LITTLE, LITTLE PIECE OF THE MUSEUM....I WONDER IF I'LL EVER SEE IT.....

Updated several of my earlier posts in this thread with names, titles, years and locations (John Kirby, Family Ties (1988); Robert Smithson painting, etc.)

I'll try to CURATE it as best as I can! :D

you could submit your application as the next curator for #artforfreedom :D

Updated post #79 of this thread. Identified the artist behind the bunnies' painting. :chuckle:

finally!!! well done :vogue:

BELIEVE me, I looked and I looked until….

giphy.gif

Lmao, I was doing the same thing yesterday. I went through Kandinsky paintings until I realized it can't be his work. Then I moved on to Leger and saw lots of similar work but couldn't find the exact one. You did it though! Good job! :bow: