MadonnaNation.com Forums
tumbleweedt

Madonna's art collection: what works of art does she own?

This thread is right up my alley!! Lovely idea :inlove:

Anyone have more pics from the Miami house? I've wanted to see it for years.

DOESN'T SHE LIKE IMPRESSIONISM?

OR IS IT TOO EXPENSIVE?

OR WE JUST DON'T KNOW.....

:o

Thanks to everyone posting info and pics in this fabulous thread. I've always been fascinated with Madonna's art / design / décor preferences. That art interview posted on the first page of this thread is one of my all time favorites. Her mind and unique culture is what sets her miles apart from anyone else.

This painting looks familiar. It has followed our heroine through several moves around LA. Has it now finally found it's way to the East Coast? I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I do not know the artist. Who does? Tell us more!

First pic: on the wall of the Oriole Way home (Vogue 1989)

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_Vogue_USA_May_1989_04

UPDATED

Second pic: Above a bed - M's bed? - in what I believe to be a picture taken at Harperley Hall apartment in New York.

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_15_zpsef945ac8.png

Third pic: although not the focus of this picture, the painting succeeds in making the cut on the left-hand side in this shot at the Castillo del Lago home in LA.

LA_1993_Castillo_del_Lago_M_15_zps4bea50

Fourth pic: the best so far :chuckle: The artwork hangs over Lourdes' play table at M's former LA home on Roxbury Drive, bought in 2000 from actress Diane Keaton. Lourdes could probably reach it with ease! :laugh: Spot the difference between Lola's works of art and the one on the wall. It turns out that this work of art is by FERNAND LEGER, entitled simply "Composition" (1932).

LA_2000_Roxbury_Wallace_Neff_M_13_zps424

It looks like it could be a Kandinsky, but I'm not sure

It looks like it could be a Kandinsky, but I'm not sure

Was just about to say this.

Looks like one of his compositions.

Madonna should keep a link to this thread to help her keep track of all the places her painting gave hung.

Fantastic thread.

Also this very special collage by Keith Haring in her kitchen from Vogue Magazine 1989

Vogue+USA+May+1989+Patrick+Demarchelier+

^^^ Some days ago there was this Haring docu on television and they had this segment when Madonna sang Dress you Up for Keith on his birthday at Paradise Garage. Some dancer / Choreographer recalls that he didn't think she was something special and Keith walked over to him to tell him that Andy Warhol told him she would become the biggest star the universe has ever seen. :wow:

on a site i've found that she nought a pucasso painting titled "Buste de femme à la frange", but don't know if it was referring to the same painting posted on page 1 of this thread

on a site i've found that she nought a pucasso painting titled "Buste de femme à la frange", but don't know if it was referring to the same painting posted on page 1 of this thread

You should google image search it to find out

Fantastic thread.

Also this very special collage by Keith Haring in her kitchen from Vogue Magazine 1989

Here's a picture of the Oriole kitchen with the 1987 collage that Keith Haring dedicated to Madonna.

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_M_09_zpsba2a58c2.png

Fantastic thread!!! Her art collection is truly remarkable and that interview should be a mandatory read for pop tarts that believe they are combining art and pop.

You should google image search it to find out

it seems to me a different one, but don't know how reliable is the source...

a5f5b4f2-e07f-4aa0-b111-dbd6c0028ad4_g_5

The strange thing I found was that in "his book" her brother Christopher talks - erroneously I believe - about buying a "Buste de femme à la frange" at auction for USD 5 million around 1990, which they put above her desk in the Harperley Hall apartment in New York (see picture posted at the beginning of this thread). It took me quite a bit of effort to find the real name of the Picasso displayed in that picture from Architectural Digest. That painting is actually called "Buste de femme (Dora Maar) 4" from 1938 as noted above.

I guess Christopher mixed up the title with another Picasso, indeed titled "Buste de femme à la frange", which she bought in May 2000 for USD 4.5 million at an auction at Christie's. When searching for Picasso works online, it's good to know that Picasso painted several works with the same name. This is also the reason her first Picasso is Buste de femme (Dora Maar) #4.

The REAL "Buste de femme à la frange" (1938) :D

d1787927x.jpg

Another picture from the Harperley Hall apartment. Actually not sure if this one was also published in the Architectural Digest issue of November 1991. I found it on Christopher's website.

Two paintings:

1. Above the bed

A painting by the late ROBERT SMITHSON (1938-1973), who is actually better known for his use of photography in relation to sculpture and so called "land art". Madonna commented on the painting in an interview she did with Interview Magazine, published June 1990:

What’s the first thing you bought?

A Robert Smithson painting.

Really?

You probably don’t even know who that is.

Are you kidding? I just didn’t know he did paintings.

The one I have is a beautiful, sort of abstract painting. But you can make out the figure of an angel in it. So I call it my guardian angel. It’s hanging over my bed in New York.

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_11_zps67a79a33.png

2. Above the desk

Still do not know who painted this, what it's called and when it was made. Does anyone know?

Madonna told Vogue that the radio displayed in the bottom picture of the page below was a favourite acquisition. It was made by Rhonda Zwillinger, who - as the biography on her website states - was an integral member of the East Village art scene in New York in the 1980's.

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_Vogue_USA_May_1989_08

In her Oriole home, the radio was placed in her gym (see below). Do you think she did some workouts with this thing on? :chuckle: Based on stories (and lawsuits) of future neighbours in New York and London, it's probably safe to assume that she switched to a more "robust" sound system, with a bit more "umph"…. :lmao:

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_Vogue_USA_May_1989_06

BTW: note the other piece of high art pictured on the page above: the Monkey handbag she wore in Who's that Girl! :laugh:

Another picture from the Harperley Hall apartment. Actually not sure if this one was also published in the Architectural Digest issue of November 1991. I found it on Christopher's website. Two paintings. Again, I do not know the artists. Does anyone know? Don't stay silent any longer!

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_11_zps67a79a33.png

The one on the right looks like a Picasso from his later years. The black figure reminds me of "The Shadow."

Looks like she donated them to the Keith Haring Foundation and the Warhol Museum in Pittsburg respectively.

OMG! I'm such a flop fan. I totally should go see these if they are, in fact, part of the permanent collection of the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. (Where I live ... I know we've been talking about Pittsburgh a lot in one of the off-topic threads -- in the Lounge, I believe. Sorry if it's overkill on Pittsburgh talk! Haha!)

Thanks, tumble! That totally explains why I saw it in the paper. I thought it was just part of a temporary exhibition featuring Haring's works. That's really cool if she donated it to the museum.

The one on the right looks like a Picasso from his later years. The black figure reminds me of "The Shadow."

Agreed ... My knowledge is limited (or, very specific?) -- but that's what I was going to say, too.