MadonnaNation.com Forums
tumbleweedt

Madonna's art collection: what works of art does she own?

on a site i've found that she nought a pucasso painting titled "Buste de femme à la frange", but don't know if it was referring to the same painting posted on page 1 of this thread

on a site i've found that she nought a pucasso painting titled "Buste de femme à la frange", but don't know if it was referring to the same painting posted on page 1 of this thread

You should google image search it to find out

Fantastic thread.

Also this very special collage by Keith Haring in her kitchen from Vogue Magazine 1989

Here's a picture of the Oriole kitchen with the 1987 collage that Keith Haring dedicated to Madonna.

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_M_09_zpsba2a58c2.png

Fantastic thread!!! Her art collection is truly remarkable and that interview should be a mandatory read for pop tarts that believe they are combining art and pop.

You should google image search it to find out

it seems to me a different one, but don't know how reliable is the source...

a5f5b4f2-e07f-4aa0-b111-dbd6c0028ad4_g_5

The strange thing I found was that in "his book" her brother Christopher talks - erroneously I believe - about buying a "Buste de femme à la frange" at auction for USD 5 million around 1990, which they put above her desk in the Harperley Hall apartment in New York (see picture posted at the beginning of this thread). It took me quite a bit of effort to find the real name of the Picasso displayed in that picture from Architectural Digest. That painting is actually called "Buste de femme (Dora Maar) 4" from 1938 as noted above.

I guess Christopher mixed up the title with another Picasso, indeed titled "Buste de femme à la frange", which she bought in May 2000 for USD 4.5 million at an auction at Christie's. When searching for Picasso works online, it's good to know that Picasso painted several works with the same name. This is also the reason her first Picasso is Buste de femme (Dora Maar) #4.

The REAL "Buste de femme à la frange" (1938) :D

d1787927x.jpg

Another picture from the Harperley Hall apartment. Actually not sure if this one was also published in the Architectural Digest issue of November 1991. I found it on Christopher's website.

Two paintings:

1. Above the bed

A painting by the late ROBERT SMITHSON (1938-1973), who is actually better known for his use of photography in relation to sculpture and so called "land art". Madonna commented on the painting in an interview she did with Interview Magazine, published June 1990:

What’s the first thing you bought?

A Robert Smithson painting.

Really?

You probably don’t even know who that is.

Are you kidding? I just didn’t know he did paintings.

The one I have is a beautiful, sort of abstract painting. But you can make out the figure of an angel in it. So I call it my guardian angel. It’s hanging over my bed in New York.

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_11_zps67a79a33.png

2. Above the desk

Still do not know who painted this, what it's called and when it was made. Does anyone know?

Madonna told Vogue that the radio displayed in the bottom picture of the page below was a favourite acquisition. It was made by Rhonda Zwillinger, who - as the biography on her website states - was an integral member of the East Village art scene in New York in the 1980's.

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_Vogue_USA_May_1989_08

In her Oriole home, the radio was placed in her gym (see below). Do you think she did some workouts with this thing on? :chuckle: Based on stories (and lawsuits) of future neighbours in New York and London, it's probably safe to assume that she switched to a more "robust" sound system, with a bit more "umph"…. :lmao:

LA_1989_Oriole_Way_Vogue_USA_May_1989_06

BTW: note the other piece of high art pictured on the page above: the Monkey handbag she wore in Who's that Girl! :laugh:

Another picture from the Harperley Hall apartment. Actually not sure if this one was also published in the Architectural Digest issue of November 1991. I found it on Christopher's website. Two paintings. Again, I do not know the artists. Does anyone know? Don't stay silent any longer!

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_11_zps67a79a33.png

The one on the right looks like a Picasso from his later years. The black figure reminds me of "The Shadow."

Looks like she donated them to the Keith Haring Foundation and the Warhol Museum in Pittsburg respectively.

OMG! I'm such a flop fan. I totally should go see these if they are, in fact, part of the permanent collection of the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. (Where I live ... I know we've been talking about Pittsburgh a lot in one of the off-topic threads -- in the Lounge, I believe. Sorry if it's overkill on Pittsburgh talk! Haha!)

Thanks, tumble! That totally explains why I saw it in the paper. I thought it was just part of a temporary exhibition featuring Haring's works. That's really cool if she donated it to the museum.

The one on the right looks like a Picasso from his later years. The black figure reminds me of "The Shadow."

Agreed ... My knowledge is limited (or, very specific?) -- but that's what I was going to say, too.

Fantastic thread . She's great taste in art that's for sure. I'm pretty certain her collection is massive too.

This painting which M instagrammed in early 2013 is by the hand of Brooklyn-based artist CHARLES MILLER. It is a portrait of Jackie “Kid” Berg, considered one of Britain’s greatest boxers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4354243.stm). In early 2007 there was an exhibit of Miller's boxer paintings in NYC (http://jewishboxers.com/index.html). I’m assuming M owns this painting also because she has a thing for boxing: attending fights with Sean, incorporating boxing in the Girlie Show tour, presenting Ali with an award around 1995, the Hard Candy pics, etc.

CHARLES MILLER, Jackie “Kid” Berg (2002), Oil on linen, 18x20 inches.

Charles_Miller_Jack_Kid_Berg_2002_zpsd38

This work of art by RAY CAESAR – called “Fallen” (2013) was Instagrammed by M in early 2014 and discussed in the “Instagram III” thread. It was shown at the Corey Helford Gallery, Culver City in April 2013 (http://artchival.pro...com/thread/8198).

Caesar_Ray_Caesar_Fallen_2013_zps3bf15c1

Ray Caesar's "Fallen" (2013) UltraChrome ink on paper, 40" x 30".

A description of his work found on the net:

His surreal and oftentimes disturbing digital works are painstakingly created in three-dimensional modeling programs and then staged in detailed environments. These are then released as limited editions in a chosen orientation and because of the freedoms afforded by this process.

Apparently Madonna appreciated Caesar’s work so much that she asked him to do a portrait of her. From The Globe and Mail, 29/01/2011 interview with Ray Caesar: Madonna has requested commissioned pieces but Caesar says he works too intuitively to oblige. “I desperately want to, but how do I do it? People want portraits. I don’t do portraits.”

P.S.

In the picture of the painting that Madonna shared on Instagram the reflection of ANOTHER painting is visible behind the photographer's silhouette, depicting….rabbits. And so the search for Madonna's art collection continues….

Caesar_Ray_Caesar_Fallen_2013_M_picture_

Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes! :naughty: :laugh:

UPDATE:

The painting with the bunnies is by HUNT SLONEM. He paints them a lot. :laugh: I think M may have been visiting the Vered Art Gallery, which shows works by Slonem, Ray Caesar and….Steven Klein. The Vered Gallery is into many artists that M loves: http://www.veredart.com/page/6/about-vered/

Example of Hunt Slonem bunnies:

bunnies48x48.jpg

So, I think there's a good chance that M took that pic of Ray Caesar's "Fallen" - with some of Hunt Slonem's bunnies in the reflection - at the Vered art gallery. For instance at the Preview 2013 exhibition featuring Caesar, Slonem and Klein: http://www.veredart.com/exhibitions/?e=27

What do you guys think?

those rabbits could be from the comic artist from the comic book about bunnies trying to kill themselves. he did an interview in our country years ago & said he preferred dinner with M over something work related :p he's british.

I've been googling rabbit art (lol) but found nothing.

@Nikki: I googled the Bunny suicides book but the style is different. Good idea though!

I've been googling rabbit art (lol) but found nothing.

@Nikki: I googled the Bunny suicides book but the style is different. Good idea though!

yeah they don't look that alike.. unless he maybe did a separate big illustration just for M.. other than him i can't think of any artist who uses bunnies though. maybe it's just a drawing from her kids :)

Doesn't she like Erté as well? I heard it somewhere she's a fan of the Art Deco period and loved his designs, though I'm not sure she owns any works by him.

Can someone pin this thread? Everybody needs to see this!