MadonnaNation.com Forums
tumbleweedt

Madonna's art collection: what works of art does she own?

UPDATED (28/02/2014):

Shared by M on Instagram on 19 December 2013:

TRACEY EMIN, "It Just Happens" (2001)

699057d32e6edeafa0b04129eb3d99c8.jpg

It Just Happens (2001); a woodcut (black) print on calico with Tracey naked, sparse linear lines presenting her bending over with the accompanying text: "Don't look for revenge. It just happens. If you don't like it then go and fuck yourself. Don't take it out on me."

Emin_Tracey_2001_It_Just_Happens_zps4657

By the way, what do you guys see/think you see in the reflection of the Instagram picture? I see room for imagination :chuckle:

There was another boxer painting she shared on instagram that's different than the one in the gym pictured on page 1.

i think that was a reference to ll cool j's song

No not the Ali photo.

This one

7c16791a949d11e2af7e22000a1f8ae5_7.jpg

This thread should be pinned somewhere. Truly educational, and as you mention, it says much about Madonna, the woman and the artist. Thank you.

As an avid art collector myself...this is thread of the YEAR! Thank you everyone.

I remember there was an article in the late 90s/early 00s that listed the most valuable private art collections and she was on the list.

Knowing the art market, I'm sure she owns at LEAST $150 million in art from what I've seen alone (and we haven't seen the Warhols).

Does she still own her wedding gift Andy and Warhol gave her?

Scan10147_people_magazine_warhol_haring_

Does she still own her wedding gift Andy and Warhol gave her?

Scan10147_people_magazine_warhol_haring_

If she does own it, she must have lowned it out, I think ... because I saw that this was going to be on exhibit in the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh... OR ... well, I could be mistaken. They had some sort of Haring/Warhol piece with Madonna on it. I think it was similar to this, but with a different photo of M. I think it might have been a traveling exhibit.

(This is a great thread, by the way. And I love the interview posted -- I've read it a handful of times over the years. Not enough time tonight, but I'll look forward to reading it again soon. Thanks for re-posting it.)

Edit: Duh. I was looking at the one on the right, held by Warhol. The one on the left, held by Keith, is the one that was pictured in the local newspaper here.

I read in a magazine that in the bedroom she has a photographs of Guy Bourdin

If she does own it, she must have loaned it out, I think ... because I saw that this was going to be on exhibit in the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh... OR ... well, I could be mistaken. They had some sort of Haring/Warhol piece with Madonna on it. I think it was similar to this, but with a different photo of M. I think it might have been a traveling exhibit.

Looks like she donated them to the Keith Haring Foundation and the Warhol Museum in Pittsburg respectively.

madonna%2Bketih%2Bharing%2Bandy%2Bwarhol

madonna-andy-warhol-keith-haring-paris-m

This picture from the Architectural Digest article from November 1991 shows a 1930 Fresson print titled Nude by French phtotographer Laure Albin-Guillot hanging near the entrance of her former Harperley Hall apartment in New York.

LAURE ALBIN-GUILLOT, Nude (1930)

NY_1991_M_HH_apt_17_zps6gqmyrol.jpg

And a lot of unknown pictures on the walls in the hallway leading away from that entrance!

thumb_439_x_555_14893mysteryapartment5.j

Huge painting hanging on the wall in M's former Hollywood home Castillo del Lago. Is it Bouguereau? Tiepolo?

interior-design-4.jpg

UPDATED:

This painting is by French Neoclassical painter Jérôme Martin Langlois (1779-1838). It's called "Diane et Endymion" (ca. 1822) and was originally commissioned for the Palace of Versailles. Below a bigger picture of the painting. It was bought by Madonna at Sotheby's on 24th of October 1989.

Langlois_Diane_et_Endymion_ca_1822_Sothe

Paintings on the walls of Madonna's former Miami home as featured in World of Interiors in 1994. On the near wall a painting by Tiepolo and on the far wall a painting by Bouguereau. Who knows the titles? They were explicitly mentioned in the magazine article, but I don't have a copy of that nearby.

Miami_1994_M_04_zps674d3026.png

Thank you for this thread tumbleweedt. Madonna's love for art is something many people don't know and is to be celebrated!

Guest Rachelle of London

I adore this thread!!!!!!!!!!!