• ROL era
    • Music era
    • AL era
    • COADF era
    • HC era
    • MDNA era

August 16th 1958.

:-)

I think Madonna became infamous with erotica and sex.

If she hadn't already become a legend before that era, her career wouldn't have survived it... Cuz that beating was BRUTAL.

Like A Prayer obviously got my vote.

leg·end (lĕj′ənd)

n.
a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
b. A body or collection of such stories.
c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.

When I said Borderline, I meant it. I don't know when you fairies flew in but when Borderline was released that was The Beginning of The Wannabes. This is the reason Madonna is still here 30 years later.

So dream on with your theories of ray of lights, like a prayers, and eroticas but I've already told you when it happened.

THE GATE.

I hardly ever see you in this part of the forum

You don't become a legend until long after you've established yourself and proved your longevity. LAV, LAP and even the Erotica eras are too early. I voted for ROL era.

Guest eroticerotic

I'd say Music era because,

After Erotica, the public was gung-ho about making her go away. Despite her reply with the great I'll Remember, Bedtime Stories, Something To Remember, & Evita, she was still…not acknowledged.

Then came Ray Of Light and that spell was broken. But the longevity of her comeback didn't really prove itself until Music/The Drowned World Tour.

All the rest that followed is a feat no other pop star at her magnitude has reached yet, and we were lucky enough to continue to witness, in my opinion!

Edited by eroticerotic

I voted for ROL.

For me, it was the hardest time to be a fan from the mid to late 90s. She didn't seem to fit in anywhere with grunge and hip hop being so popular everywhere. I truly thought she was over singing show tunes with the Evita soundtrack.

I think if it hadn't been for the critical and commercial successed of ROL (and then Music afterwards), she would've faded away like Janet Jackson did.

LAP Era and the BAT era is really closely inter-related... after 1991 Justify My Love, she definitely sealed her legend status after 3 massive albums and a GH worldwide... since then nothing she does can erase her status, not even the Erotica backlash...

I voted for the Erotica Era. For me, Madonna became a legend then because it was her first musically groundbreaking instance.

(at the time) It wasn't her best selling album but what it did for music turned her from pop star to legend.

Instead of milking the success of her previous albums, instead of trying to create a new disco hit like Vogue
, instead of flooding the market with her image and second-rate products, Madonna decided to go on a new route. She recreated her sound and her image.

Erotica was produced when music was still divided between the east and west coasts (it isn’t like that anymore). At that time, genres of music were still semi-pure, so when a first-class artist like Madonna decided to push the envelope by creating a hybrid - that was a risky and brave thing to do.

Thematically
, Erotica
discussed more adult and serious topics: homosexuality, prejudice, AIDS, love and sex. That was a very brave thing to do considering at that time it was career damaging.

Erotica is definitely one of the most important albums in the history of pop music, specially as a testament of artistic integrity in pop music and that is why with Erotica Madonna transitioned into a legend.

What is a legend though? If we really think about what a legend is it's something that seems too good to be true. Something that's on the lips of everybody. Something that has a heritage, a skill and a purpose. I'm sorry but she was a legend way back. It just took the whole world ten years or so to really notice that. She's lucky in a way, many artists die as a social peasant and then become a rich soul post mortem. I believe in fate. Some people are just better at making fate work their way.

1983-1.jpg

L E G E N D

I was in elementary and didn't know much about music yet. Yet when my relatives and family talk about this "Madonna", there was something on their lips when they speak her name.

I get what you say. I was little during the LAP and BAT era, but whenever someone mentioned her name it already felt like they were talking about someone iconic as Elvis or Marilyn Monroe. I don't really know how to explain it, but her name alone brings all sorts of ideas and concepts and images to mind.

Try saying it a bunch of times

M A D O N N A

:wow:

I remember that the first time that I read magazines talking about her as a legend was during the "Who's that girl Tour".

I think with "Like a virgin" was "Hey, this girl could be a legend". "True blue" was like "Yes, we were right, she's near to be a legend" and finally with the "Who's that girl Tour" was like "Yes, She is a legend". I think it was when people started watching her like the femenine Michael Jackson. Of course with "Blond Ambition Tour" it was like "There's absolutly no doubt. SHE IS a legend".

Even though I think she became a legend much earlier in her career (definitely by the early 90s), I think she had to go through the bumps of the early '90s and come out on the other side of BS and Evita to truly be called a "legend" without anyone questioning or doubting it. So for me it was ROL - which was her "comeback" (I prefer "renaissance"), solidifying her as a true legend of our times.

I would say "Music" and thereafter, sealed by the success of "hung up" later on

yall mufuccas take the word LEGEND too lightly

You don't become a legend until long after you've established yourself and proved your longevity. LAV, LAP and even the Erotica eras are too early. I voted for ROL era.

I'd say Music era because,

After Erotica, the public was gung-ho about making her go away. Despite her reply with the great I'll Remember, Bedtime Stories, Something To Remember, & Evita, she was still…not acknowledged.

Then came Ray Of Light and that spell was broken. But the longevity of her comeback didn't really prove itself until Music/The Drowned World Tour.

All the rest that followed is a feat no other pop star at her magnitude has reached yet, and we were lucky enough to continue to witness, in my opinion!

This exactly.

For me it's definitely the music era. "Ray of Light", as brilliant as it is, could have been a 'stroke of luck comeback album'.

In my opinion you access to the legend status in music only if you're still successful after, let's say 16-8 years... not after 5 or 9 years, in this case there would be tons of legends in music. Legend is a strong word, Legend means you enter in the small golden circle of Marilyn, Elvis, etc... for eternity. If Madonna would have stopped making music in 1990 she wouldn't be a "legend" today, yes she'd still be referred as a successful singer of the 80's, maybe more than Cindy Lauper or Bonnie Tyler, but not a legend or and icon in 2014.

I think you can see when a star becomes a legend by doing this : Find when the star could have stopped her career and keep on being famous and sell records for ever, even without releasing nothing more for the rest of her life. In this case i can see why for some people she became a legend in the COADF era, it makes even more sense.

I think people definitively saw her as a legend after the Ray of Light comeback. It was too soon before that. The Ray of Light comeback not only put her on top again but she was FINALLY universally acclaimed by everyone. People just couldn't deny her statut anymore.

I think people definitively saw her as a legend after the Ray of Light comeback. It was too soon before that. The Ray of Light comeback not only put her on top again but she was FINALLY universally acclaimed by everyone. People just couldn't deny her statut anymore.

Yes, ROL, MusiC, COADF.. but before ROL it was too soon as you said. In this case Rihanna who is successful for 8 years now is a legend, Pink too, and on and on...

Yes, ROL, MusiC, COADF.. but before ROL it was too soon as you said. In this case Rihanna who is successful for 8 years now is a legend, Pink too, and on and on...

For me it doesn't matter how long a person has been in the public eye for. It's just a quality that's there that sets them apart and of course it should be seen in the work. Jim Morrison is a good example, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean etcetera. To me the key thing is having a lasting impact. Some artists seem huge but things end for them and they're flavour of the moment rather than timeless.