• Erotica era
    • BS era
    • ROL era
    • Music era
    • AL era
    • COADF era
    • HC era
    • MDNA era

the day she was born. can't beat a leo. it was written in the stars..

but anyway, i think with true blue she got a big boost. then later with LAP, BAT, etc.. i actually think erotica/sex helped her as well. it's okay for pop stars or artists/famous ppl in general to get a bit of a beating sometimes, because when things are too perfect it gets boring and people always need to bring an artist down, to then see them back up again.. i don't agree with it but it's how a lot of people feel.. evita, ROL, and her records later gave her more artistic and deeper respect as a lyricist and not just a popstar or performer.. but i think.. all in all.. BAT really made her big.. stand out from everyone else.. female MJ, elvis, etc.

I always see it as this. Like a Virgin made Madonna a worldwide Superstar - that year she was easily the most copied, popular and talked about woman in the world. True Blue album confirmed her status and shut up the people who said she would disappear in 6 months. Like a Prayer made it official - she has been a music legend since then. To this day, I still think she is the ultimate legend. Who else has been as successful, imitated and discussed about for over 30 years ?

She has had so many iconic and legendary moments from the moment she stepped onto the scene, but I feel like the Ray of Light era was when people really stepped back and looked at the totality of her career up to that point, and were rightly blown away at how much she had accomplished in the 15 years she had been around.

Its hard to pinpoint though because like I said, she has SO many iconic moments that will always be referenced and remembered for years and years to come.

Who else has been as successful, imitated and discussed about for over 30 years ?

That's what I always say. Sure there are artists that have been around longer, but I cant think of anyone besides Madonna that has been so consistently successful for such a long period of time. Year after year after year after year. Sure she has had her "flop" albums and flop songs, but she quickly moves on from them and doesn't dwell on it and pumps out something successful soon after.

Unlike say someone like Cher, who has been around longer, but only scores a hit once every decade, and hasn't had a hit since 1998.

I guess if we were to include Die Another Day as an American Life single, Madonna has yet to release on album that didn't produce a top 10. That's pretty incredible.

Guest Pud Whacker

When I said Borderline, I meant it. I don't know when you fairies flew in but when Borderline was released that was The Beginning of The Wannabes. This is the reason Madonna is still here 30 years later.

So dream on with your theories of ray of lights, like a prayers, and eroticas but I've already told you when it happened.

THE GATE.

Even though I think she became a legend much earlier in her career (definitely by the early 90s), I think she had to go through the bumps of the early '90s and come out on the other side of BS and Evita to truly be called a "legend" without anyone questioning or doubting it. So for me it was ROL - which was her "comeback" (I prefer "renaissance"), solidifying her as a true legend of our times.

I'm gonna check the interwebs (starting with Pud's scrapbook of course) to refresh my knowledge of the genesis of the Borderline video. The video is stunning and must have been a significant investment from Sire/Warner. Lambert, Madonna and all involved did such a brilliant job at capturing, visualising what Madonna was about. Borderline was a visualisation of my Madonna-related day dreaming. Girl from the street, noticed by high end photographer, not happy by being disconnected from the street and put up in a studio. Quite biographical: strong parallel with her experiences in France with the producers behind Patrick Fernandez!

madonna-borderline.gif.gif

Even though I think she became a legend much earlier in her career (definitely by the early 90s), I think she had to go through the bumps of the early '90s and come out on the other side of BS and Evita to truly be called a "legend" without anyone questioning or doubting it. So for me it was ROL - which was her "comeback" (I prefer "renaissance"), solidifying her as a true legend of our times.

Exactly how I feel. I feel like she was a "phenomenon" from '85-'88......'89-'92 she became an icon and somewhere in the '98-'00 period I would consider her a legend. Legend is a term that seems to get abused these days, it's bestowed upon some after one album (Gaga). I don't think another true legend has emerged from the music world since Madonna (except maybe Whitney). But these people calling Britney, Justin Timberlake, gaga or Beyoncé legends at this point in their careers need to go on somewhere with that bullshit. Gaga hasn't even hit the "icon" stage at this point, she's just a '09-'10 phenomenon at this point. The others I mentioned I would consider icons at this point.

I think she was a superstar by 1985, a megastar by 1987 throughout 1989 and an ICON by 1990.

Throughout 1991 to 1993 she transcended into this pop culture phenomenon of the times where I feel she remained even throughout the backlash as she was no less discussed even though her record sales dropped for a short period of time.

By the end of 1994 she was once again a pop music heavy hitter and up there competing with the latest flavor of the months but it was the EVITA era that saw her fame change direction and start to head into the legendary stratosphere. By the time that film was released, her fame had come full circle again and she was back on top where she belonged and then remained for another half decade with Ray of Light, Music and The Drowned World Tour.

After the tough year that was 2003 I believe she officially became a legend the day she hit the stage for Live 8. Everything changed that day and she received this worldwide respect that continued on through Confessions.

Things have been similar to the early 90's ever since where she has retained her throne but is more culturally relevant and discussed to a phenomenal extent once again. Now she's just Madonna, she releases great pop tunes, embarks on record breaking tours and is just a figure of fascination and controversy more than ever before.

I voted IC era because I feel that anything less than 6 years is too soon to be called a legend. Also the period should include BAT. Madonna's legend is not only music and videos, touring and the type of show that she created is an important part.

But it's true that a lot of people recognized her during ROL, especially those that don't listen to and don't care much for pop music. She received universal acclaim, and that recognition brought attention to what she had achieved before. Also by that time most if not all of her competitors, the superstars of the 80s and 90s had started to fade. She was still on top and as vibrant as ever.

2005,when she came back again,younger than ever,and with her biggest hit in decades.I think that's when the general public,not her fans of people who likes music,but general people,realize that she was always at the top! Anyways,her lwgendary statua had been building little by little,year after year,album after album...but material girl,la isla,like a prayer,vogue-blond ambition-justify,sex,evita,ray of light will always be in people's minds

IMMACULATE COLLECTION ERA because when VOGUE came out, the LEGEND was set. it is one of those songs that are timeless and that every generation will remember for years to come. no other woman can even come close to who madonna is and what she has achieved, from her record sales to her cultural impact to her timeless music. she has broken down doors for the "female pop star" and is without a doubt up there with the beatles, elvis, michael. hence, they are the 4 artists who have sold the most records in history... nuff said.

long live the queen of pop!

Things have been similar to the early 90's ever since where she has retained her throne but is more culturally relevant and discussed to a phenomenal extent once again. Now she's just Madonna, she releases great pop tunes, embarks on record breaking tours and is just a figure of fascination and controversy more than ever before.

Love that last part.

On the ATRL boards someone started a poll asking if Britney is a legend and 2 to 1 people were saying YES.

Talk about delusions one poster even said that she's a legend because she's in the Rock and Roll HOF with Madonna and the Beatles etc.

NO SHE ISN her album Blackout was used in a display at the hall on "Women in Music".

For onr thing Britney has about 9 more years before she's even eligible for the hall and the second thing is that SHE WILL NEVER GET IN THEIR.

If Janet or Whitney haven't even been NOMINATED to get in their, their is no way in hell that Britney will be in there.