MadonnaNation.com Forums
qaz

ABBA thread

Abba fans,  I got this idea from another thread talking of classic songs that everyone knows.  Not talking of our favourite songs or songs that we adore.  Simply incredibly famous Songs that are known by everyone.  Can even be songs you don't love. 

Madonna has so many well known songs and so does Abba.   So on this Abba thread,  for fun,  let's list the songs we think are timeless and  that everyone knows ! 

Here is my list 

Waterloo 

Mamma Mia 

SOS 

Fernando 

Money Money Money 

Knowing me, Knowing you   

Dancing Queen 

Take a chance on me 

Thank you for the Music 

The winner takes it all 

I’d add Chiquitita. 

Most well known ABBA songs by the general public worldwide:

Dancing Queen
Fernando
Mamma Mia
Waterloo
Chiquitita
Super Trouper (just because the iconic p-p-p)
Take a Chance on Me
SOS
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

In the UK,

Waterloo

Mamma Mia

SOS

Fernando

Dancing Queen

Knowing me, knowing you

Money money money

Take a chance on me

Thank you for the music

Does your mother know

Chiquitita

Voulez vous

Gimme gimme gimme

The winner takes it all

Super trouper

Lay all your love on me

One of us

Honorary mention to eagle which didn't get released here but is very well known

The radio here really does play a broad mix of their songs.

Since ABBA Gold is their version of The Immaculate Collection, I’d say its tracklist is what’s most remembered by general audiences.

19 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Abba fans,  I got this idea from another thread talking of classic songs that everyone knows.  Not talking of our favourite songs or songs that we adore.  Simply incredibly famous Songs that are known by everyone.  Can even be songs you don't love. 

Madonna has so many well known songs and so does Abba.   So on this Abba thread,  for fun,  let's list the songs we think are timeless and  that everyone knows ! 

Here is my list 

Waterloo 

Mamma Mia 

SOS 

Fernando 

Money Money Money 

Knowing me, Knowing you   

Dancing Queen 

Take a chance on me 

Thank you for the Music 

The winner takes it all 

Jazzy, you don't think voulez vous, gimme, gimme. Gimme and super trouper aren't known by everyone?

42 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Jazzy, you don't think voulez vous, gimme, gimme. Gimme and super trouper aren't known by everyone?

No., I don't really think so in Australia. All Abba fans know them but most of the GP know Gimme Gimme Gimme more because of Hung up.  With Super Trouper album it was all about The Winner takes it all.  

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

No., I don't really think so in Australia. All Abba fans know them but most of the GP know Gimme Gimme Gimme more because of Hung up.  With Super Trouper album it was all about The Winner takes it all.  

I'm surprised given how huge they were over there. 

31 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

😍

Rumoured title is #abbatuka

1 minute ago, Je5u5 said:

Rumoured title is #abbatuka

😂

First single feat Pitbull.

#soon

On 2/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Here is my list 

Waterloo 

Mamma Mia 

SOS 

Fernando 

Money Money Money 

Knowing me, Knowing you   

Dancing Queen 

Take a chance on me 

Thank you for the Music 

The winner takes it all 

To add  to  that,  happy  new  year,gimme, super  trouper included.

I cant  wait for  their  new  songs  and  a  possibly huge  tour. This  is  the most  anticipated music of  the  year  alongsideour  queen m

On 2/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, Marco said:

Since ABBA Gold is their version of The Immaculate Collection, I’d say its tracklist is what’s most remembered by general audiences.

I agree. Or The immaculate Collection is Madonna's Gold.

These are the only 2 greatest hits collections I know of where the entire track listing is classic/iconic.  

1 hour ago, Confessit said:

I agree. Or The immaculate Collection is Madonna's Gold.

These are the only 2 greatest hits collections I know of where the entire track listing is classic/iconic.  

I’d say the entire track listing of ABBA Gold is indeed iconic. I don’t think I’d necessarily say the same about The Immaculate Collection. Nonetheless, that’s merely due to the fact Rescue Me is remembered mostly by diehard fans, as it wasn’t a blockbuster hit in the same vein as HolidayInto the Groove or Like a Virgin, just to name a few.

All in all, Madge’s hits stood the test of time more organically. I am not in any way discrediting ABBA nor their monstrous success, but the fact is after they disbanded, they had to find a way to keep their legacy intact. The release of the Mamma Mia play on Broadway, as well as its respective big screen adaptations (more so the original though), were immensely helpful in reintroducing their catalogue to the public; more specifically the current generation who were not too familiar with their biggest hits.

Regardless, they’re the two most legendary Pop acts of all-time. I do not count Wacko Jacko since his music borrowed a lot of elements from Funk and R&B. He was like a Christopher Nolan film. Overrated even if there’s some artistic merit. Madonna and ABBA, on the other hand, will always be pure cinema. The musical equivalents of Steven Spielberg’s filmography pre-2000’s. :fag:

3 hours ago, Marco said:

I’d say the entire track listing of ABBA Gold is indeed iconic. I don’t think I’d necessarily say the same about The Immaculate Collection. Nonetheless, that’s merely due to the fact Rescue Me is remembered mostly by diehard fans, as it wasn’t a blockbuster hit in the same vein as HolidayInto the Groove or Like a Virgin, just to name a few.

All in all, Madge’s hits stood the test of time more organically. I am not in any way discrediting ABBA nor their monstrous success, but the fact is after they disbanded, they had to find a way to keep their legacy intact. The release of the Mamma Mia play on Broadway, as well as its respective big screen adaptations (more so the original though), were immensely helpful in reintroducing their catalogue to the public; more specifically the current generation who were not too familiar with their biggest hits.

Regardless, they’re the two most legendary Pop acts of all-time. I do not count Wacko Jacko since his music borrowed a lot of elements from Funk and R&B. He was like a Christopher Nolan film. Overrated even if there’s some artistic merit. Madonna and ABBA, on the other hand, will always be pure cinema. The musical equivalents of Steven Spielberg’s filmography pre-2000’s. :fag:

I suppose it depends where you are. Album gold came out in 92 and was a huge success in the UK several years before mamma Mia came out. Here their songs are timeless in the same way M's are and being away for ten years meant they benefitted from nostalgia. Same with Queen.

Also, the musical was in no way guaranteed to be a hit as it was really the first of its kind but took off massively further cementing their reputation.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Here is my list 

Waterloo 

Mamma Mia 

SOS 

Fernando 

Money Money Money 

Knowing me, Knowing you   

Dancing Queen 

Take a chance on me 

Thank you for the Music 

The winner takes it all

Where`s Lay All You Love on Me? It's my favourite ABBA tune #1 and surely on the same level with Gimme Gimme Gimme. It was a mistake that it was released only on 12 inch maxi. I also wonder why Summer Night City always stays in the second row of their classics. The ABBA guys told that they hate the released version because of its "lousy production".

16 hours ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Where`s Lay All You Love on Me? It's my favourite ABBA tune #1 and surely on the same level with Gimme Gimme Gimme. It was a mistake that it was released only on 12 inch maxi. I also wonder why Summer Night City always stays in the second row of their classics. The ABBA guys told that they hate the released version because of its "lousy production".

Yes SNC is my favourite song of theirs and they refer to it as their 'problem child' 😮😕 it also underperformed in the charts in comparison to previous songs so another reason they don't like it!!!

I love the production! Such a rich, intense sound.

So new music due September / October

#soon 😂

Since we have had an excruciating long M dry spell I delved deeper into the discography of Abba beyond the infamous Gold & More Gold songs....I am spellbound by their output.

I have bought the Complete Abba book and a Classic Pop Magazine of them along with the Digital Albums "Arrival", "The Visitors", "Super Trouper", "Abba: The Album" & my favorite "Voulez-Vous"

I've also ordered couple of the Deluxe editions

I have been totally Abba obsessed for the last several weeks....binge watched all their videos (never really expected seeing so many as they were way ahead of MTV videos in 1981 and reading so much about them I never knew

I have to say to Jan that Abba have moved right up there in my Top 3 behind Madonna, and Donna Summer...It's like discovering a new group....I can't get enough of them!!

12 minutes ago, Aries said:

Since we have had an excruciating long M dry spell I delved deeper into the discography of Abba beyond the infamous Gold & More Gold songs....I am spellbound by their output.

I have bought the Complete Abba book and a Classic Pop Magazine of them along with the Digital Albums "Arrival", "The Visitors", "Super Trouper", "Abba: The Album" & my favorite "Voulez-Vous"

I've also ordered couple of the Deluxe editions

I have been totally Abba obsessed for the last several weeks....binge watched all their videos (never really expected seeing so many as they were way ahead of MTV videos in 1981 and reading so much about them I never knew

I have to say to Jan that Abba have moved right up there in my Top 3 behind Madonna, and Donna Summer...It's like discovering a new group....I can't get enough of them!!

Aries,  they are wonderful aren't they.   I also adore Donna Summer too as well as you. 

With Abba,  just like Madonna, they create incredible albums that stand the test of time so easily and effortlessly.   So many classic songs to love and the albums contain so many wonderful songs,  not just great singles. .  Glad that you are getting to love them so much.  

I actually found the Official Abba Photo Book for $10 brand new at the store...it was meant to be...also got Abba music for my birthday...Essential Collection, More Abba Gold, Arrival, Super Trouper & Voulez-Vous Deluxe Editions....still so into them....play them night & day non-stop

On a side note I've had Agnetha's "I Stand Alone" CD so I decided to check out her album "A" from 6 years ago...love it, so I downloaded it from ITunes!

I've been obsessed with this song lately. The arrangement, the harmonies, the lyrics...uhh, it's EVERYTHING -

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

I've been obsessed with this song lately. The arrangement, the harmonies, the lyrics...uhh, it's EVERYTHING -

VogueMusic,  It is coming up " Uploader has not made this video available in your country " :banghead:  Hate it when that happens.  Which song is it ?  I can see it has the Visitors album picture but can't play it.  Want to know what song it is 

31 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

VogueMusic,  It is coming up " Uploader has not made this video available in your country " :banghead:  Hate it when that happens.  Which song is it ?  I can see it has the Visitors album picture but can't play it.  Want to know what song it is 

Slipping Through My Fingers

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

Slipping Through My Fingers

Beautiful song.  Probably the most beautiful, bitter-sweet and poignant song about a mother watching her child grow up.  Absolutely adore it.   Everything you said was so spot on.  The lyrics are so emotive and completely paint the picture for us to imagine. 

20 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Beautiful song.  Probably the most beautiful, bitter-sweet and poignant song about a mother watching her child grow up.  Absolutely adore it.   Everything you said was so spot on.  The lyrics are so emotive and completely paint the picture for us to imagine. 

They play it at the start of the school year here on radio 2 and the djs go on about trying not to shed a tear!

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

They play it at the start of the school year here on radio 2 and the djs go on about trying not to shed a tear!

It is such a beautiful song indeed !