MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

16 hours ago, Aries said:

Maybe a favorite Top 10 ABBA songs should be in order....

Dancing Queen / Take A Chance On Me / The Winner Takes It All / Fernando / SOS/ Knowing Me, Knowing You / The Name Of The Game / Mama Mia / Super Trouper / Honey Honey

Great list Aries.  I could not only do my top 10.  I tried but I failed.  Could not properly decide.   Torture - just like doing the Madonna top 10 list.   Too many great songs. 

On 7/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Just like with Madonna lists,  I find it near on impossible to do my favourite Abba songs because there are just too many !    

I am going to cheat big time and do my top 50 !   Shows how much I love their music.  Not in order from favourites point of view but this is the 50 songs I love the most.  Seriously, it is easier to do a list of songs we don't like as hardly any !  Here goes 

Waterloo 

Honey Honey 

I do I do I do I do I do

Dance while the music still goes on 

Bang a boomerang 

SOS 

Fernando 

Tropical love land 

Mama Mia 

Rock me 

I've been waiting for you 

Happy Hawaii 

When I kissed the Teacher 

That's me 

Money money money 

Dum Dum diddle -  ( yes,  I love it ! ) 

Knowing me Knowing you 

Tiger 

My love my life 

Dancing Queen 

Disillusion 

Me and Bobby and Bobby's brother 

Another town, another train 

Eagle 

Move on 

One man one woman 

The name of the game 

Take a chance on me 

Thank you for the music 

I wonder 

As good as new 

Angel Eyes 

Kisses of Fire 

If it wasn't for the nights 

The king has lost his crown 

Super Trouper 

The winner takes it all 

Me and  I 

Happy new year 

Our last Summer 

The piper 

Lay all your love on me 

Head over heals 

When all is said and done 

Soldiers 

One of Us 

Slipping Through my fingers 

Under attack 

Lovelight 

The Day before you came

What a great list too! 🤩

As you say it´s easier to name the songs one doesn´t like..

for me that would be I Have A Dreram and Two For The Price Of One..😆

Everyone who loves Abba -  go and see Mamma Mia Here we go again.  It was fantastic !   So much better than the first one.  I saw it with another Abba fan and we both loved it so much.  The faults of the first one - singers who could not sing well - was not in the equation.  Lily James was wonderful as the young Donna - she is a great singer and Amanda Seyfried and her mainly shared the singing and both were incredible.  Cher was wonderful and the original cast all made appearances but did not dominate the singing at all.  Such a bright, feel good musical with incredible songs.   

I really wanted to like it but it was just OK for me.

Just like on the first one, the male actors were weak. The female actors were good though.

Cher was GREAT.

The final scenes were :cries:

My bf hated so much the 1st one, he refuses to go and watch it. He's out of town next week. I should give it a try.

6 hours ago, runa said:

My bf hated so much the 1st one, he refuses to go and watch it. He's out of town next week. I should give it a try.

Hope you like it Runa.  I am an Abba fanatic so already was on board but agree with your boyfriend about the first one.   Amazes me when people make musicals and hire people that can't hold a tune as happened so often in the first one. Completely defeats the purpose.   My friend and I were saying in jest when Pierce Brosnan was on the screen,  don't sing !    Her hardly did so we were lucky !   

On 7/26/2018 at 7:55 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Everyone who loves Abba -  go and see Mamma Mia Here we go again.  It was fantastic !   So much better than the first one.  I saw it with another Abba fan and we both loved it so much.  The faults of the first one - singers who could not sing well - was not in the equation.  Lily James was wonderful as the young Donna - she is a great singer and Amanda Seyfried and her mainly shared the singing and both were incredible.  Cher was wonderful and the original cast all made appearances but did not dominate the singing at all.  Such a bright, feel good musical with incredible songs.   

@Jazzy JanMy sister saw it a few days ago and said the same, so i'm thinking of going to see it.

so excited...

giphy.gif

:rotfl:

Love Abba!

2 hours ago, Crux said:

@Jazzy JanMy sister saw it a few days ago and said the same, so i'm thinking of going to see it.

so excited...

giphy.gif

Love Abba!

Your sister? The Kylie Minogue fan? I’d be suspicious to everything she says, if you ask me, :rotfl:

2 hours ago, Crux said:

so excited...

giphy.gif

Love Abba!

You will love it Crux :rotfl:at the Frida gif. Love it ! 

3 minutes ago, runa said:

Your sister? The Kylie Minogue fan? I’d be suspicious to everything she says, if you ask me, :rotfl:

:rotfl: She has redeemed herself with the Abba movie !  

47 minutes ago, runa said:

:lmao: Oh now there's a point, I didn't think of that. 

43 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

You will love it Crux :rotfl:at the Frida gif. Love it ! 

:rotfl: She has redeemed herself with the Abba movie !  

I'm going on Monday with a friend, Jan. Can't wait.

Yes, that Frida gif is fab :rotfl: I always used to sit and laugh at how excitable she was in that video. She really loved that song, didn't she? :lol:

29 minutes ago, Crux said:

:lmao: Oh now there's a point, I didn't think of that. 

:dead:

I agree this gif is amazing, :rotfl:

I've just got back from the cinema. It was enjoyable but it could have done with being a bit longer so it didn't skip over some plot points. Some of the songs are crowbarred in such as name of the game.

But yes, lily James is great and beautiful. 

Meryl's version of my love, my life is beautiful. I even thought Pierce Brosnan's version of SOS was good.

Andy Garcia role though 😂

But the biggest thing was the incidental music. I loved the French accordian version of I let the music speak!

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

I've just got back from the cinema. It was enjoyable but it could have done with being a bit longer so it didn't skip over some plot points. Some of the songs are crowbarred in such as name of the game.

But yes, lily James is great and beautiful. 

Meryl's version of my love, my life is beautiful. I even thought Pierce Brosnan's version of SOS was good.

Andy Garcia role though 😂

But the biggest thing was the incidental music. I loved the French accordian version of I let the music speak!

I loved all of the incidental music.  Let the music speak was beautiful.   We are such Abba loons and proud of it !   We recognise all of their songs throughout it. 

I also loved the use of lesser known beautiful songs such as Andante Andante,  I've been waiting for you and My love My life.  

The only thing that I was a bit disappointed in (  complete nit picking I may add )  was the use of Kisses of Fire.  I love that song and the great big long note the Abba girls sing always stands out and to see it used so badly as a joke was just a little sad for an Abba fanatic to hear !   :lmao: Would of loved more energy in Angel Eyes but I still loved it. 

I have already seen it twice and going again with another friend who loves Abba.   I am just finding it so happy, joyful and sentimental and I have not really experienced that at a movie for years.  

I hope you waited until the very end of the credits for a little extra treat.  

11 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I loved all of the incidental music.  Let the music speak was beautiful.   We are such Abba loons and proud of it !   We recognise all of their songs throughout it. 

I also loved the use of lesser known beautiful songs such as Andante Andante,  I've been waiting for you and My love My life.  

The only thing that I was a bit disappointed in (  complete nit picking I may add )  was the use of Kisses of Fire.  I love that song and the great big long note the Abba girls sing always stands out and to see it used so badly as a joke was just a little sad for an Abba fanatic to hear !   :lmao: Would of loved more energy in Angel Eyes but I still loved it. 

I have already seen it twice and going again with another friend who loves Abba.   I am just finding it so happy, joyful and sentimental and I have not really experienced that at a movie for years.  

I hope you waited until the very end of the credits for a little extra treat.  

Yes! I was going to say about the end credits. I made sure I stayed. The songs did seem quite short like knowing me, knowing you. I thought Angel eyes was great. 

But what happened to the day before you came? It's on the soundtrack but was never used!

And yes, I was disappointed with kisses of fire being used like that. It's such a perfect pop song.

Btw they filmed the intro down the road from me! It's a ruins of an old convent.

10 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Yes! I was going to say about the end credits. I made sure I stayed. The songs did seem quite short like knowing me, knowing you. I thought Angel eyes was great. 

But what happened to the day before you came? It's on the soundtrack but was never used!

And yes, I was disappointed with kisses of fire being used like that. It's such a perfect pop song.

Btw they filmed the intro down the road from me! It's a ruins of an old convent.

The ruins of an old convent !  Now immortalised on film.   

I have not listened to the Soundtrack so will check out "  The day before you came"   As much as I loved the movie,  nothing ever beats the Abba originals. 

The day before you came is such a mystery song.  I always think of it as a song about someone not realising their life was so mundane and boring before meeting someone in a romantic sense who brought them alive.  Have read other Abba fans think it is about death as the song is kind of eerie.  So unusual too that there is no chorus just continual verses throughout.  Love it. 

I think I’m the only one who thought Lily James was bad. She looks so vulgar and her voice is very weak. A big let down to me for such an important role. 

Amanda Sigfried was just perfect though. 

And young Sam (Jeremy Irvine) was like :jerkoff:

:lol:

16 minutes ago, runa said:

I think I’m the only one who thought Lily James was bad. She looks so vulgar and her voice is very weak. A big let down to me for such an important role. 

Amanda Sigfried was just perfect though. 

And young Sam (Jeremy Irvine) was like :jerkoff:

:lol:

Runa,  I thought Lily was a great singer compared to the singers in the original :lol: OMG,   the men in the original could not sing to save themselves.  Ha ha    You know who I think Lily James looked like in the movie - Jessica Simpson ! 

Thought the weakest singer in this movie was Dominic Cooper who played Sky.  When he did the One of Us duet with Amanda Seyfriend,  she was so better than him it was almost embarrassing.  The originals who could not sing did not have big singing roles and I liked that because I do love Colin Firth and co - just don't want them singing !   Amanda was my favourite singer by a mile.  I am a big fan of hers and think she is beautiful, sweet and talented.  I loved young Sam as well.  He was great in the role.  Young Harry was not a great singer but he was so adoringly goofy and insecure.  Loved the supporting actors and the end song of Super Trouper when all the cast were dancing with each other etc was so joyful and fun.  

I think the male part were definitely the weakest in the movie... I agree about Dominic Cooper. He’s really not a great singer.

In the end One of us was one of my fav song in the movie, though. Amanda’s voice was perfect for that song. (Must add this is one of my favorite Abba song. Guess it helps... haha :lol: )

@runa  

Do you agree with Lily and Jessica comparisons with looks ?  :lol:  I am sure Lily would be a lot smarter than Jessica though. 

Image result for lily james mamma mia gifsImage result for lily james mamma mia gifsImage result for lily james mamma mia gifs

Image result for jessica simpson long curly hair gifsImage result for jessica simpson long curly hair gifs

For you @runa  - such a great song.  Abba singing One of us 

Another classic video clip like Reba's  - domestic goddesses.  Reba in the vintage kitchen,  here Anna doing the wallpapering !  

@Crux   Here it is in full.  Your Gif of an excited Frida singing Bang a Boomerang has had me laughing for days.  :rotfl:

8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The ruins of an old convent !  Now immortalised on film.   

I have not listened to the Soundtrack so will check out "  The day before you came"   As much as I loved the movie,  nothing ever beats the Abba originals. 

The day before you came is such a mystery song.  I always think of it as a song about someone not realising their life was so mundane and boring before meeting someone in a romantic sense who brought them alive.  Have read other Abba fans think it is about death as the song is kind of eerie.  So unusual too that there is no chorus just continual verses throughout.  Love it. 

Before the film came out, there was a theory that TDBYC was a sign Meryl had died in the movie. I'd never heard it was about death before though.

But yes, Dominic cooper was awful but I think he's not a good actor in general. Don't get why he was cast in the first place.

And I prefer Lily James to AS. Are has much more presence to me and she's 😍

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@runa  

Do you agree with Lily and Jessica comparisons with looks ?  :lol:  I am sure Lily would be a lot smarter than Jessica though. 

Image result for lily james mamma mia gifsImage result for lily james mamma mia gifsImage result for lily james mamma mia gifs

Image result for jessica simpson long curly hair gifsImage result for jessica simpson long curly hair gifs

That's it, exactly. Very tacky, nothing glamorous, not an ounce of star quality.

7 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Crux   Here it is in full.  Your Gif of an excited Frida singing Bang a Boomerang has had me laughing for days.  :rotfl:

:rotfl: What year was that, Jan?  I know a lot of fans don't think much of their earlier material, but it's so much fun. 

I went to see Mamma Mia 2 yesterday and was tapping my foot all the way through. The men are much better singers this time around...  (I still think Pierce Brosnan needs a smacked bot for ruining S.O.S).  The performance of "Why Did It Have To Be Me" was quite enjoyable.

Have to say I didn't like the way Cher sang Super Trooper. Her voice is far too deep for their songs,...although i'm still interested to hear her album.

All in all I loved the movie...much better than the 1st one.

Finally treat myself to "The Visitors" and "The Album". Not really a fan of the latter but it does have some cracking songs on there - like "Take A Chance On Me" and "Thank You For The Music". ...I've even grown to like "Eagle" now.  "One Man, One Woman" and "Hole In Your Soul" are great too but I cannot stand "I'm A Marionette". It's like something from a horror movie. :lol:

On 8/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, Crux said:

:rotfl: What year was that, Jan?  I know a lot of fans don't think much of their earlier material, but it's so much fun. 

I went to see Mamma Mia 2 yesterday and was tapping my foot all the way through. The men are much better singers this time around...  (I still think Pierce Brosnan needs a smacked bot for ruining S.O.S).  The performance of "Why Did It Have To Be Me" was quite enjoyable.

Have to say I didn't like the way Cher sang Super Trooper. Her voice is far too deep for their songs,...although i'm still interested to hear her album.

All in all I loved the movie...much better than the 1st one.

It was very early in their career.  While I think their best music was from Arrival onwards,  I also loved so many of their earlier songs.  Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Rock Me, SOS, Dance while the music still goes on, I do I do I do I do I do, Bang a Boomerang and Fernando were all standouts. 

On 8/7/2018 at 2:14 AM, Crux said:

Finally treat myself to "The Visitors" and "The Album". Not really a fan of the latter but it does have some cracking songs on there - like "Take A Chance On Me" and "Thank You For The Music". ...I've even grown to like "Eagle" now.  "One Man, One Woman" and "Hole In Your Soul" are great too but I cannot stand "I'm A Marionette". It's like something from a horror movie. :lol:

:lmao:  Crux,  now sing - " You're Supreme,  that's what everybody's telling me " .  I'm a Marrionette,  everybody's pet just as long as I sing.   I kind of love it in my own way.  It is so dramatic.  

One man, One woman is such a beautiful song.  The Name of the Game is another that fascinates me.  It was way before it's time and the lyrics and harmonies are incredible.  Thank you for the Music, Take a chance on me,  Move on, Eagle I also love.   Their music become more complex as they evolved but always still had strong melodies that had great public appeal.  

On 7 August 2018 at 5:36 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

It was very early in their career.  While I think their best music was from Arrival onwards,  I also loved so many of their earlier songs.  Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Rock Me, SOS, Dance while the music still goes on, I do I do I do I do I do, Bang a Boomerang and Fernando were all standouts. 

:lmao:  Crux,  now sing - " You're Supreme,  that's what everybody's telling me " .  I'm a Marrionette,  everybody's pet just as long as I sing.   I kind of love it in my own way.  It is so dramatic.  

One man, One woman is such a beautiful song.  The Name of the Game is another that fascinates me.  It was way before it's time and the lyrics and harmonies are incredible.  Thank you for the Music, Take a chance on me,  Move on, Eagle I also love.   Their music become more complex as they evolved but always still had strong melodies that had great public appeal.  

I love 'I'm a marionette' too. So dramatic and such a good description of fame before people were going on about the perils all the time! And yes, the name of the game is so advanced given the time it came out.

They Were the complete opposite of prince with their less is more approach. 

I really hope the new songs are amazing😧