MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

10 hours ago, Marco said:

Looks like more of the same nonsense but sweet in its own way.

And watch this. Cher turns up looking like MATM Madonna around 2.10!

The scenes around the ruins were filmed in Oxford.

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Looks like more of the same nonsense but sweet in its own way.

And watch this. Cher turns up looking like MATM Madonna around 2.10!

The scenes around the ruins were filmed in Oxford.

Love that Cher is in it.  Music royalty which is what Abba deserve ! 

I still wish Madonna had played the Meryl Streep part in the original.  Would love also to see Madonna with Amanda Seyfried who I thought was the stand out in the first film. 

52 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Love that Cher is in it.  Music royalty which is what Abba deserve ! 

I still wish Madonna had played the Meryl Streep part in the original.  Would love also to see Madonna with Amanda Seyfried who I thought was the stand out in the first film. 

I want to know what songs they're using.

Glad to see Angeleyes in there. When I kissed the teacher was never a favourite with me and looks kind of crow barred into the plot!

If they've dropped summer night city again, I'll be fumin'!

21 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I want to know what songs they're using.

Glad to see Angeleyes in there. When I kissed the teacher was never a favourite with me and looks kind of crow barred into the plot!

If they've dropped summer night city again, I'll be fumin'!

I am SO fussy about musicals and also about Abba music !    The girls harmonised better than anybody ( such magnificent singers )  and I have an insane want of brilliance in singing and dancing in musicals.    

I don't like the sound of the lead girl here.  

I love Angeleyes as well.  One of my favourite Abba songs. 

My list of songs I would like 

Dance while the music still goes on 

Bang a Boomerang 

That's me -  Have to have footage of an eagle flying with a dove :dramatic:

Dum Dum Diddle -  have to love a song where a girl wishes she was a violin called Dum Dum Diddle ! 

My love My Life 

Disillusion 

Eagle 

One man, One woman 

As good as new 

Kisses of Fire 

If it wasn't for the nights 

The king has lost his crown -  Disaster and disgrace !    Love it 

Me and I 

One of us 

Head over heels 

Tropical Loveland 

The Piper 

The Day before you came 

When all is said and done 

Two for the price of one - major comedy relief 

Lovelight 

I've been waiting for you 

Hope also that Summer night city is there too.  

Hope Amanda Seyfried gets plenty of screen time and singing.  

@jonski43 @Jazzy Jan Here’s a list of musical numbers confirmed thus far by either Benny Anderson, the trailers or cast members:

Waterloo

Mamma Mia

When I Kissed the Teacher

Dancing Queen

Thank You for the Music

I Wonder (Departure)

Angeleyes

I Have a Dream

Kisses of Fire

Fernando

I’ve Been Waiting For You

Knowing Me, Knowing You

Why Did It Have to Be Me?

The Name Of The Game

As Good As New

If It Wasn’t for the Nights

Super Trouper

On and On and On

The Way Old Friends Do

Head over Heels

One of Us

Like an Angel Passing Through My Room

Summer Night City

@Marco  Thank you !   Many of my favourites there.  

No Dum Dum Diddle - my darling fiddle though. :cries:

I love Summer Night City, I think it’s better than Gimme Gimme Gimme

@Jazzy Jan Happy Hawaii has also been confirmed to appear in the sequel.

1 hour ago, Marco said:

@Jazzy Jan Happy Hawaii has also been confirmed to appear in the sequel.

Yes !  I always laughed at how " Why did it have to be me" and " Happy Hawaii" had the same melody but were so different in style and lyrics. 

On 5/24/2018 at 12:12 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes !  I always laughed at how " Why did it have to be me" and " Happy Hawaii" had the same melody but were so different in style and lyrics. 

Both great songs, right?

I think Happy Hawaii is an early version released as a B-side.

It's interesting how some of ABBAs melodies can be found in demos or early takes of their other recordings, e.g. Under Attack / Just Like That / When The Waves Roll Out To Sea (not really ABBA, I know) or Does Your Mother Know and Dream World.

7 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Both great songs, right?

It's interesting how some of ABBAs melodies can be found in demos or early takes of their other recordings, e.g. Under Attack / Just Like That / When The Waves Roll Out To Sea (not really ABBA, I know) or Does Your Mother Know and Dream World.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. They often reused elements of songs. Supposedly, they've very few Dennis in the vaults as they just wired with songs until they got them right rather than write a lot and keep the best.

15 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Both great songs, right?

7 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. They often reused elements of songs. Supposedly, they've very few Dennis in the vaults as they just wired with songs until they got them right rather than write a lot and keep the best.

True.  I enjoy hearing how they keep working on songs that appear in different versions so to speak.  The overwhelming majority of their songs are great, singles, album songs and even songs that turned into other songs !  

Just now, Marco said:

@Jazzy Jan 

Love that Cher is in this.  :inlove:

Marco, did you know that Fernando was the song that had the record for being number 1 for the longest amount of weeks in Australia- 14 weeks - the record since  1976.   Then who should break the record but Ed Sheeran with the most bland average song imaginable - The Shape of you.  :banghead: How annoying that such an average song could break the record.  This says it all though. 

However, Sheeran's success on the singles chart has come at a time when the methods used to calculate sales are very different to the ABBA era.

The ARIA singles charts are compiled using a mix of paid downloads on iTunes as well as streaming figures from Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora and other services.

Some subscription services are available for free, leading some to argue it's difficult to compare the pure sales of ABBA from the vinyl era with the way music is now consumed.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

Marco, did you know that Fernando was the song that had the record for being number 1 for the longest amount of weeks in Australia- 14 weeks - the record since  1976.   Then who should break the record but Ed Sheeran with the most bland average song imaginable - The Shape of you.  :banghead: How annoying that such an average song could break the record.  This says it all though. 

However, Sheeran's success on the singles chart has come at a time when the methods used to calculate sales are very different to the ABBA era.

The ARIA singles charts are compiled using a mix of paid downloads on iTunes as well as streaming figures from Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora and other services.

Some subscription services are available for free, leading some to argue it's difficult to compare the pure sales of ABBA from the vinyl era with the way music is now consumed.

Did you also know that Fernando is one of fewer than forty all-time singles to have sold more than 10 million physical copies worldwide? They're legends.

I think I will see mamma Mia with my mom. She likes both Cher and abba. 

On 6/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I do think at some point they will have to look at streaming again as the current crop of artists are breaking records but don't appear to have any memorable tunes!

Numbers are so inflated.

:wow:

On 5/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

I am SO fussy about musicals and also about Abba music !    The girls harmonised better than anybody ( such magnificent singers )  and I have an insane want of brilliance in singing and dancing in musicals.    

I don't like the sound of the lead girl here.  

I love Angeleyes as well.  One of my favourite Abba songs. 

My list of songs I would like 

Bang a Boomerang 

That's me -  Have to have footage of an eagle flying with a dove :dramatic:

Dum Dum Diddle -  have to love a song where a girl wishes she was a violin called Dum Dum Diddle ! 

My love My Life 

Disillusion 

Eagle 

One man, One woman 

As good as new 

Kisses of Fire 

If it wasn't for the nights 

The king has lost his crown -  Disaster and disgrace !    Love it 

Me and I 

One of us 

Head over heels 

Tropical Loveland 

The Piper 

The Day before you came 

When all is said and done 

Two for the price of one - major comedy relief 

Lovelight 

Hope also that Summer night city is there too.  

Hope Amanda Seyfried gets plenty of screen time and singing.  

I wonder (it´s frightening 😄), how do you who consider themselves real Abba fans, as I do, as I grew up with them and know lyrics to nearly every song, feel about the musical and the films?

I saw the musical live in London in 2004 and was somehow able to enjoy it, but as you say, the girls harmonized like no others, and for me it‘s hard to hear anybody sing an ABBA song other than Agnetha and Frida.

10 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

I wonder (it´s frightening 😄), how do you who consider themselves real Abba fans, as I do, as I grew up with them and know lyrics to nearly every song, feel about the musical and the films?

I saw the musical live in London in 2004 and was somehow able to enjoy it, but as you say, the girls harmonized like no others, and for me it‘s hard to hear anybody sing an ABBA song other than Agnetha and Frida.

@Musicinferno   I loved the musical live when I saw it.  I know that nobody can ever match the harmonies that the girls had - voices that fit so perfectly and so beautifully - but the singers in the stage musical were great singers and I loved seeing the reaction of the crowd.  I don't think anyone was expecting them to sound like Abba but wanted to hear the fantastic music.    A dear friend of mine bought me the stage musical CD but I must confess that I hardly listened to it.  Nothing compares to Abba.  The film was a let down to me but I also confess to somehow enjoying it despite being shocked at just how bad the singers were.  Amanda Seyfried was the only one that was a good singer really.  

My love for Abba is almost as well known as my love for Madonna.   Already I have promised to see the 2nd film with 3 different friends.  Ha Ha.   They want to see it and want to see it with an Abba fanatic !   The film is a feel good musical and I mostly see thrillers so will be a welcome relief.  Can always see feel good movies with great music several times . 

I am not just saying this because of my love for Madonna,  but her version of "  Like an angel passing through my room"  is the ONLY time I have enjoyed an Abba cover as much as the original.  I say this all the time but I think she would of nailed the Abba songs so much better than Meryl Streep.  She knows how to sing pop classics and that is so much harder than people give credit to singers for.  I love Cher and like her version of Fernando but I can't see her singing an album of Abba covers.  She has a wonderful unique voice but I don't feel it would suit Abba songs.  I expect she should do mainly songs Frida sang as her voice matches hers more than Agnetha's voice. 

Loved your " I wonder " pun too :lol:   What are your favourite Abba songs ?  

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Musicinferno   I loved the musical live when I saw it.  I know that nobody can ever match the harmonies that the girls had - voices that fit so perfectly and so beautifully - but the singers in the stage musical were great singers and I loved seeing the reaction of the crowd.  I don't think anyone was expecting them to sound like Abba but wanted to hear the fantastic music.    A dear friend of mine bought me the stage musical CD but I must confess that I hardly listened to it.  Nothing compares to Abba.  The film was a let down to me but I also confess to somehow enjoying it despite being shocked at just how bad the singers were.  Amanda Seyfried was the only one that was a good singer really.  

My love for Abba is almost as well known as my love for Madonna.   Already I have promised to see the 2nd film with 3 different friends.  Ha Ha.   They want to see it and want to see it with an Abba fanatic !   The film is a feel good musical and I mostly see thrillers so will be a welcome relief.  Can always see feel good movies with great music several times . 

I am not just saying this because of my love for Madonna,  but her version of "  Like an angel passing through my room"  is the ONLY time I have enjoyed an Abba cover as much as the original.  I say this all the time but I think she would of nailed the Abba songs so much better than Meryl Streep.  She knows how to sing pop classics and that is so much harder than people give credit to singers for.  I love Cher and like her version of Fernando but I can't see her singing an album of Abba covers.  She has a wonderful unique voice but I don't feel it would suit Abba songs.  I expect she should do mainly songs Frida sang as her voice matches hers more than Agnetha's voice. 

Loved your " I wonder " pun too :lol:   What are your favourite Abba songs ?  

So where do I start?

When I was very small there was an ABBA Greatest Hits Double LP from a German TV show, which I loved that featured early hits of which I like most:

S.O.S. (this is one of my all time favourites, one of Agnethas best)

Honey Honey (especially the part where the boys sing 😂 I don´t wanna hurt you baby ....)

Gonna Sing You My Lovesong and maybe

Bang-A-Boomerang (it´s LOVE!), then came the

Fernando single which is magnificent and one of Frida´s best, it was playing everywhere. Then of course

Dancing Queen - no need to comment on that, from Arrival I love

That´s Me (wasted on Dancing Queen´s B-Side) like an eagle flying with a dove.. and

Knowing Me Knowing You ( I think it´s interesting that in ABBA´s most imperial phase ALL the singles featured leads by Frida) and maybe

My Love, My Life. Then, on The Album I love

The Name Of The Game and

One Man, One Woman (which is maybe the biggest unknown gem of all ABBA songs, I LOVE the melody the vocals the lyrics even if they might be cheesy, and the strings at the end of the song). This is so huge. Then, of course,

Thank You For The Music and

Move On (which is maybe not their best song but it´s so uplifting). Of the disco songs that followed,

Summer Night City is the one to go for, on Voulez-Vous, my fave is

If It Wasn´t For The Nights. Then, on Super Trouper, the best song is

The Winner Takes It All, probably their strongest track in later years. And, back then, I didn´t like it that much, but in recent years I liked

Super Trouper a lot. Then,

Our Last Summer. My name is actually Harry, but I don´t work in a bank! 😆

Lay All Your Love On Me is beautiful, too. The Visitors features beautiful songs too, the best for me is

One Of Us. Second,

Soldiers and then,

Like An Angel Passing Through My Room. Past-Visitors,

The Day Before You Came is beautiful too in its very special way.

There are few ABBA songs that I don´t like, but those mentioned above are really special for me. Just counting, Agnetha 8, Frida 7, the rest shared, quite fair!

I'm not a big fan of musicals but I'm a huge ABt6BA fan so I'm definitely going to watch the new one even if it's just for a laugh.

I've probably mentioned in previous thread how, being born in the 80s aka their lowest point ever in terms of popularity, discovering them through my mom's old albums and falling in love with their music was so damn frustrating in a way. Other relatives would give me weird looks for my interest in them, friends would not know them at all or understand why I was listening to that and not to Guns n Roses or any other "current" popular band instead and stores would rarely have their back catalogue. Mess.

Luckily even at an early age I didn't let such things affect my good taste 😎 LOL.

Like Madonna....I’ve been there with ABBA from the very beginning (Waterloo in the US) albeit a decade earlier (1974) 

love all their singles...but it was a short run in hindsight....about 7/8 years in US, back when in the 70s, artists released maybe 2 or 3 singles from from each album

17 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

So where do I start?

When I was very small there was an ABBA Greatest Hits Double LP from a German TV show, which I loved that featured early hits of which I like most:

S.O.S. (this is one of my all time favourites, one of Agnethas best)

Honey Honey (especially the part where the boys sing 😂 I don´t wanna hurt you baby ....)

Gonna Sing You My Lovesong and maybe

Bang-A-Boomerang (it´s LOVE!), then came the

Fernando single which is magnificent and one of Frida´s best, it was playing everywhere. Then of course

Dancing Queen - no need to comment on that, from Arrival I love

That´s Me (wasted on Dancing Queen´s B-Side) like an eagle flying with a dove.. and

Knowing Me Knowing You ( I think it´s interesting that in ABBA´s most imperial phase ALL the singles featured leads by Frida) and maybe

My Love, My Life. Then, on The Album I love

The Name Of The Game and

One Man, One Woman (which is maybe the biggest unknown gem of all ABBA songs, I LOVE the melody the vocals the lyrics even if they might be cheesy, and the strings at the end of the song). This is so huge. Then, of course,

Thank You For The Music and

Move On (which is maybe not their best song but it´s so uplifting). Of the disco songs that followed,

Summer Night City is the one to go for, on Voulez-Vous, my fave is

If It Wasn´t For The Nights. Then, on Super Trouper, the best song is

The Winner Takes It All, probably their strongest track in later years. And, back then, I didn´t like it that much, but in recent years I liked

Super Trouper a lot. Then,

Our Last Summer. My name is actually Harry, but I don´t work in a bank! 😆

Lay All Your Love On Me is beautiful, too. The Visitors features beautiful songs too, the best for me is

One Of Us. Second,

Soldiers and then,

Like An Angel Passing Through My Room. Past-Visitors,

The Day Before You Came is beautiful too in its very special way.

There are few ABBA songs that I don´t like, but those mentioned above are really special for me. Just counting, Agnetha 8, Frida 7, the rest shared, quite fair!

I love you !  This list is everything

11 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

I'm not a big fan of musicals but I'm a huge ABt6BA fan so I'm definitely going to watch the new one even if it's just for a laugh.

I've probably mentioned in previous thread how, being born in the 80s aka their lowest point ever in terms of popularity, discovering them through my mom's old albums and falling in love with their music was so damn frustrating in a way. Other relatives would give me weird looks for my interest in them, friends would not know them at all or understand why I was listening to that and not to Guns n Roses or any other "current" popular band instead and stores would rarely have their back catalogue. Mess.

Luckily even at an early age I didn't let such things affect my good taste 😎 LOL.

@Je5u5.  You are yet another Madonna and Abba soulmate. You as well @Aries

I loved Abba when it was considered totally " daggy" too. I never cared, still supported them, bought their music and played them all the time.  Like Madonna, their music is timeless, loved and so memorable.  Seeing everyone now embrace their music, recognise how ahead of the times they were and just love their songs is so satisfying. 

On 7/21/2018 at 11:37 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

I love you !  This list is everything

Thanks! ☺️ What are your favourites?

Madonna shouldve been in these films, the end of.

Maybe a favorite Top 10 ABBA songs should be in order....

Dancing Queen / Take A Chance On Me / The Winner Takes It All / Fernando / SOS/ Knowing Me, Knowing You / The Name Of The Game / Mama Mia / Super Trouper / Honey Honey

On 7/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, Musicinferno said:

Thanks! ☺️ What are your favourites?

Just like with Madonna lists,  I find it near on impossible to do my favourite Abba songs because there are just too many !    

I am going to cheat big time and do my top 50 !   Shows how much I love their music.  Not in order from favourites point of view but this is the 50 songs I love the most.  Seriously, it is easier to do a list of songs we don't like as hardly any !  Here goes 

Waterloo 

Honey Honey 

I do I do I do I do I do

Bang a boomerang 

SOS 

Fernando 

Tropical love land 

Mama Mia 

Rock me 

Happy Hawaii