MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

They are amazing.

My siblings would sing "su papá, tu papá" (his/her dad, your dad) when Super Trouper played :)

The other day my mom told me my baby brother, who's now 25 (and straight) was listening to ABBA to her surprise.

I love 'the day before you came' it's just perfect

They are amazing.

My siblings would sing "su papá, tu papá" (his/her dad, your dad) when Super Trouper played :)

ln Chile people used to say 'chúpala, chúpala' (suck it, suck it) lmao

I'm listening to the More ABBA Gold compilation. Pure bliss and pop perfection! I grew up with this album, my mum had a cassette of all their low profile hits.

Edited by mafalda

In the UK, it was often thought Frida was singing

'I was sick and tired of everything, when I called you last night from Tesco'

Tesco is supermarket here. She was actually singing 'Glasgow'.

Eagle never got released as a single in the UK. I never understood why they only released two singles (at the time) from that album given how huge they were.

The whole "ABBA THE Album" is amazing :headbang::vogue::tigger::dramatic:

My mom owned most of her hits but it was me as a kid in the late 80s who started hunting for their out of print albums to see what else they had to offer.

Eveb if it was one of the first ones I found (I think it was actually THE first) I didn't like The Album too much when I bought it. I've grown to like it a lot though, especially the epic Eagle and I'm a Marionette.

Still can't stand Thank You for the Music.

Yes, fantastic album. So much variety on it as well.

I Wonder is abominable. I had big problems with The Album and always much preferred Arrival. It's grown on me now as a more experimental song suite. I love Move On.

I must admit, I really don't like Move On and was never a fan of I Wonder. TFTM is cheesy too. You can really see the move towards more musical based songs on that album. Each of their albums always had one or two iffy tracks like The Piper and Dum Dum Diddle!

My favourite album is Voulez Vous. So many strong songs. The only song I don't like on it is Does Your Mother Know.

I must admit, I really don't like Move On and was never a fan of I Wonder. TFTM is cheesy too. You can really see the move towards more musical based songs on that album. Each of their albums always had one or two iffy tracks like The Piper and Dum Dum Diddle!

My favourite album is Voulez Vous. So many strong songs. The only song I don't like on it is Does Your Mother Know.

Voulez Vous could've been a 10/10 album but I think Chiquitita and I Have a Dream kind of ruin the flow. I'd switch them for Gimme! and the long version of Summer Night City and make them one-off singles.

Voulez Vous could've been a 10/10 album but I think Chiquitita and I Have a Dream kind of ruin the flow. I'd switch them for Gimme! and the long version of Summer Night City and make them one-off singles.

Yes! Or at least stick Chiquitita and I Have a Dream at the end after King Has Lost His Crown like the post party come down.

I'd still bin Does Your Mother Know. It just sticks out like a sore thumb in style and Bjorn singing.

By the way, have you all heard the demo version of The Winner Takes It All? Listen to the end!

By the way, have you all heard the demo version of The Winner Takes It All? Listen to the end!

I love this version, the backing vocals are heavenly!

There are many, many more alternate versions of other songs. They're not really demos, but certain elements,especially backing vocals are more upfront and you can hear things you never noticed before. I read that those files were originally sent to the creators of the Mamma Mia musical to be able to hear every harmony and vocal layer. :)

Btw here's an alternate version of "Andante Andante" which was accidently released a few years ago:

and here are filtered vocals from an alternate "Our Last Summer" version.

Listen to the backing vocals from 2:38 to 3:16, they're barely noticeable in the album version:

I love this version, the backing vocals are heavenly!

There are many, many more alternate versions of other songs. They're not really demos, but certain elements,especially backing vocals are more upfront and you can hear things you never noticed before. I read thate files were originally sent to the creators of the Mamma Mia musical to b those able to hear every harmony and vocal layer. :)

That's an interesting take although it wouldn't explain Bjorn's spoken vocals at the end of The Winner Takes It All?

There's a vocal demo of Gimme Gimme Gimme too and Frida is really screeching on them. Like Vogue on the BAT!

...an alternate version of "Andante Andante" which was accidently released a few years ago

Where? :o

Btw here's an alternate version of "Andante Andante" which was accidently released a few years ago:

and here are filtered vocals from an alternate "Our Last Summer" version.

Listen to the backing vocals from 2:38 to 3:16, they're barely noticeable in the album version:

Listening to the girls harmonise on "Our last Summer' proves what I have always thought. They harmonize better than anyone - their voices are heavenly together. Such beautiful amazing singers who sang the melodies and harmonies with great range and did not have to shout. Amazing singers.

Where? :o

Posted above. ;)

It was released on a 7" singles boxset.

We're watching their videos at home right now! ADORABLE!!! :)

Good to see all four together tonight for dinner and all looking so well!

Good to see all four together tonight for dinner and all looking so well!

Yes it's always great to see them together. Kills the silly rumour that Agnatha is a loony loner.

I want to go to Stockholm to visit the museum and this mamma Mia restaurant night could be fun too!

OMG Agnetha and Frida sang together at the 50th anniversary of Benny and Bjorn meeting! I never thought I'd see this happening. Those who saw it were so lucky as it may never happen again. The guys come on at the end to hug the girls but didn't perform although Frida says I bet everyone would like to see them do it!

Guest bluejean

Really hate Abba with a passion

I love Knowing me Knowing you!

It is just so melancholy and I think it's a situation that we can all relate to. Loving someone so much but not being able to do anything but leave for both parties sake...

'Knowing me Knowing you it's the best I can do

gets me everytime!!

The greatest POP group of all time. Their songs and production hold up perfectly.

I have an obsession with When I Kiss the teacher

The greatest POP group of all time. Their songs and production hold up perfectly.

:thumbsup:

I ADORE this funky little gem -

So do I! I found it a few years back. The early albums are really eclectic in their sounds and songs.

My sister got me into Abba when I was about 5. She had their first GH's and I was completely obssessed with it...

ABBA_-_Greatest_Hits_(UK).jpg

Ring Ring, Boomerrang, Hasta Manana, SOS.

Love it.