MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

I'm sick in my bed, re-reading this thread and laughing my ass off at Elaine and jazzyjan's comments. You're too cute.

Aime, get better soon. :kiss2:

Here is your fave Frida, grooving and dancing to make you feel better. :laugh:

1474854_o.gif

And, it should be "its" anniversary. ;) Unless it's ABBA members. Yes, the anal grammatical one I am.

British English :gent: no its for collectives there.

Guest whatatramp

Watched Muriel's Wedding again on boxing day and been listening to them on repeat ever since, always happens :lol:

Least it wasn't the awful Mamma Mia, plotless rubbish and only moderately tolerable in its stage incarnation. And jazzyjan is right, Streep CANNOT sing.

Aime, get better soon. :kiss2:

Here is your fave Frida, grooving and dancing to make you feel better. :laugh:

1474854_o.gif

Thanks bae, LOVE the dramatic turn at the end.

Guest whatatramp

Least it wasn't the awful Mamma Mia, plotless rubbish and only moderately tolerable in its stage incarnation. And jazzyjan is right, Streep CANNOT sing.

I hated Mamma Mia yuk

I love the pumped-up mix of "Lay Your Love on Me" that was done some years ago. But, really- while there are a few songs I don't love, that Gold album is pure bliss.

I am so sick of Dancing Queen. The entire country just loves that song and always sing it in karaokes.

My fave ABBA song is The Winner Has It All :cries:

I am so sick of Dancing Queen. The entire country just loves that song and always sing it in karaokes.

My fave ABBA song is The Winner Has It All :cries:

Clearly a big favourite. :s98:

I hate the Mamma Mia stage play. All their singing voices are really horrid. You appreciate F&A all the more after hearing those reedy shriekers murder the songs. And the plot is so trashy! Hardly fitting for Abba songs.

I don't mind Meryl but Pierce Brosnan is :ohmy:

It's actually Mamma Mia (the film) that lead to me discovering (and liking) ABBA :sneaky: Weird how that happened since I do hate musicals in general.

'Eagle' is probably the most underrated Abba song ever. :(

'Eagle' is probably the most underrated Abba song ever. :(

DagIN, I love Eagle too. It was way ahead of it's time. The music at the start of Eagle is so different, striking and beautiful.

I always picture an eagle soaring above the clouds when this is played. Abba do love their eagles, they consider "an eagle flying with a dove" as a special love in "that's me"

They've got so many underrated tracks it's hard to pick one. I mean, My Love My Life? Truly heartbreaking stuff.

Sadly stuff like The Winner Takes It All is overplayed to death. I can't listen to any of the Gold tracks anymore, I tend to just play the album tracks.

DagIN, I love Eagle too. It was way ahead of it's time. The music at the start of Eagle is so different, striking and beautiful.

Absolutely, gorgeous melody and harmonies in this track. However, as with most artists (Madonna included) some of the best songs remain forgotten album tracks or underrated singles, which is a shame.

I love Summer Night City. Probably the closest Abba ever got to a sleazy song. It's punchy, dramatic, passionate and energetic. Its lyrics hint at a bit of seediness. I can imagine this was inspired by the Swedish swinging scene.

Eagle, Take a Chance and Name of the Game are all stunning tracks. Three of their absolute best. I love the trippy Eagle video - especially the girls' rabbit and badger outfits.

I love Summer Night City. Probably the closest Abba ever got to a sleazy song. It's punchy, dramatic, passionate and energetic. Its lyrics hint at a bit of seediness. I can imagine this was inspired by the Swedish swinging scene.

When the NIGHT comes with the ACTION :dramatic:

Eagle has a bit of their overblown prog-rock indulgences but is nice enough.

Happy New Year flopped on UK iTunes :( It's top of many Euro charts just now. Why is that? Is it too miserable and the other countries don't understand the lyrics?

I did not know they had re-released Happy New Year. Such a bitter-sweet and sad song but I love it.

Loving all of the songs mentioned here and their descriptions and how people see them. I am going to play my Abba songs in the car today and make sure I listen to all of them mentioned on this thread. My love My life, Summer night city, Eagle, Take a chance on me, The name of the game - so many and so varied.

Always found Under Attack to be a very descriptive song. It reminds me a bit of Tiger - a lot of menace behind it but done brilliantly. Soldiers is another song that I find heart-breaking. The Visitors too. They got the message across brilliantly.

I love this track and it was bad it got dropped from both Gold and the Mamma Mia play! The unreleased extended intro is even better though. Amazing track. The guys refer to it as their 'problem child' song as they were never happy with the production. There are multipke remixes of the track apparently. I think the production is stunning! So full and rich!

Eagle was their tribute to The Eagles. For done reason it didn't get released in the UK.

When the NIGHT comes with the ACTION :dramatic:

Eagle has a bit of their overblown prog-rock indulgences but is nice enough.

Happy New Year flopped on UK iTunes :( It's top of many Euro charts just now. Why is that? Is it too miserable and the other countries don't understand the lyrics?

Probably. I never think of it as a happy new year song.

I love this track and it was bad it got dropped from both Gold and the Mamma Mia play! The unreleased extended intro is even better though. Amazing track. The guys refer to it as their 'problem child' song as they were never happy with the production. There are multipke remixes of the track apparently. I think the production is stunning! So full and rich!

It was a bit of a flop in a time where everything they did became a hit so I guess that makes them see it in a different light.

Remember that stupid Number Ones album that was released while Gold was still slaying? That had Summer Night City.

The Human League ripped off Eagle (doesn't sound anything like The Eagles) for Don't You Want Me.

Remember that stupid Number Ones album that was released while Gold was still slaying? That had Summer Night City.

The Human League ripped off Eagle (doesn't sound anything like The Eagles) for Don't You Want Me.

Yes, I have that album.

Another fun fact - Remember that fantastic femme fatale song " Why did it have to be me" Anna and Frida getting all sexy teasing the guys and having fun. Plus, again ahead of their time - sexy saxophone solos before they become so trendy in the 80's.

Who else laughed when they heard the original version which was "Happy Hawaii" :laugh:

It was a bit of a flop in a time where everything they did became a hit so I guess that makes them see it in a different light.

I was hardly a flop if you look at its chart stats but they were not happy with it. It's odd that they chose to perform it on the Dick Cavett show in 81 although supposedly it was popular in the US but the record company wouldn't release it as there was no album to follow it as the group wanted a break.

Voulez Vous has so many strong album tracks though.

I was hardly a flop if you look at its chart stats but they were not happy with it. It's odd that they chose to perform it on the Dick Cavett show in 81 although supposedly it was popular in the US but the record company wouldn't release it as there was no album to follow it as the group wanted a break.

Voulez Vous has so many strong album tracks though.

That's why I said "a bit of". They weren't happy with how it performed for being a lead single and discarded it.

Saw this photo and it reminds me of this thread and the great line of " There's a special love, like an eagle flying with a dove" from That's me that I love so much. Expect this is a crow flying with an eagle. Still, great way to bump our fun Abba thread. :laugh:

PAY-crow-grabs-a-lift-on-a-bald-eagle.jp

Cool pic. I was more literal. The first thought that crossed my mind was their song Eagle.

Flying high, high, I'm a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
And to go anywhere that I please
(with a crow on my back) :laugh:

I love that ABBA is getting some love, carry on! :sassy:

Cool pic. I was more literal. The first thought that crossed my mind was their song Eagle.

Flying high, high, I'm a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
And to go anywhere that I please
(with a crow on my back) :laugh:

Nemo, Love the crow on my back as an afterthought lyric. :laugh:

I love that ABBA is getting some love, carry on! :sassy:

Yes, the Abba thread is always fun and full of great vibes.

One more mis-heard lyric of mine from childhood - I thought Waterloo was " Waterloo, I was the sweetest, You won the wall'

My misheard lyric:

"You'll be dancing once again and the pendulum"

No, I have no idea what it means, either!!! ;)

ABBA are brilliant! They're second only to Madonna in my book :thumbsup: