MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

I like to think of TDBYC as a positive song. Going by the video, she's reminiscing of her mundane life before the man she meets on the train came into her life. Sometimes it's possible to over think things.

The story behind the song is sad though. It was the last one they ever recorded as a band and agnetha recorded it singing in the dark. The band said they knew it was the end and although they never announced a split, it was the end.

Thanks Jonski, I never knew about Agnetha recording it singing in the dark. Abba's divorce songs are wonderful. The winner takes it all for Anna and Bjorn and When all is said and done for Benny and Frida. Well, that is what I have read before.

I think The Day Before You Came is the creepy sister to Just Like That: both are about a person who lead a mundane life, someone came along and changed it but now that person is gone.

There's a certain air of resentment in The Day Before You Came that makes me think the outcome wasn't too good.

Are you SURE

You wanna hear MORE

Love the sluttastic video :wow:

Thanks Loomer. How I love this song and the sluttastic video as you so described it. :laugh:

What about the line - There is a special love - like an eagle flying with a dove. I used to imagine that when I listened to it and to this day I have not experienced a special kind of love like that. Where is my Eagle flying with a dove. :angry: I want it now !

One thing I don't understand is though - the lyrics of I"m Carrie not the kind of girl you'd marry. Who is Carrie ? Are these the correct lyrics. Fellow Abba fans, what is this all about ?

I still need to read definitive book Bright Lights, Dark Shadows and Carl Mangus Palm's Complete Studio Recordings book with info on every song. The Complete boxset is so worth it, there's a cheap version now.

Thanks Loomer. How I love this song and the sluttastic video as you so described it. :laugh:

What about the line - There is a special love - like an eagle flying with a dove. I used to imagine that when I listened to it and to this day I have not experienced a special kind of love like that. Where is my Eagle flying with a dove. :angry: I want it now !

One thing I don't understand is though - the lyrics of I"m Carrie not the kind of girl you'd marry. Who is Carrie ? Are these the correct lyrics. Fellow Abba fans, what is this all about ?

I think Carrie was used as it rhymed but it is correct. Bjorn said there were some times where the English wasn't always great. I think he mentioned a clumsy line in Fernando which would have been around the same time.

I have the complete recordings book. It's fantastic but become quite rare. I love reading about the recording sessions. I wish madonna would do a similar book but we know that will never happen.

I think Carrie was used as it rhymed but it is correct. Bjorn said there were some times where the English wasn't always great. I think he mentioned a clumsy line in Fernando which would have been around the same time.

I have the complete recordings book. It's fantastic but become quite rare. I love reading about the recording sessions. I wish madonna would do a similar book but we know that will never happen.

Thanks for this. With Carrie, a thought ran through my head that they might have been inspired by the name because of the Stephen King novel of Carrie - that Carrie from the novel would not be the kind of girl you'd marry. :laugh: The rest of the lyrics of That's me are great though. Talking of lyrics for years I thought that the line "morning croissants" in Our last Summer was actually "mornings full of songs" That song also did the same with an awkward name turning up in the song with the line " and your name is Harry" It just amuses me really that the lyrics are so lovely and have these sort of weird mentions of names but like you are saying, English was not their first language. Their lyrics are beautiful in general though.

Thanks for this. With Carrie, a thought ran through my head that they might have been inspired by the name because of the Stephen King novel of Carrie - that Carrie from the novel would not be the kind of girl you'd marry. :laugh: The rest of the lyrics of That's me are great though. Talking of lyrics for years I thought that the line "morning croissants" in Our last Summer was actually "mornings full of songs" That song also did the same with an awkward name turning up in the song with the line " and your name is Harry" It just amuses me really that the lyrics are so lovely and have these sort of weird mentions of names but like you are saying, English was not their first language. Their lyrics are beautiful in general though.

Yes, I thought the same thing about Harry. It's an odd line. Also, the b-side of The winner takes it all is called 'Elaine' which does sound like a song about a middle aged cleaner. The name probably sounds exotic to foreigners!

Alice whiting in two for one is another odd example! Not a fan of that song.

On 04/09/2014 at 8:10 AM, jonski43 said:

Yes, I thought the same thing about Harry. It's an odd line. Also, the b-side of The winner takes it all is called 'Elaine' which does sound like a song about a middle aged cleaner. The name probably sounds exotic to foreigners!

Alice whiting in two for one is another odd example! Not a fan of that song.

:laugh: I love that song Elaine. The lyrics are pretty unique though aren't they and quite depressing which goes against the melody and feel of the song. I always felt sorry for Elaine. Re Two for the price of one.  Abba being raunchy - him getting excited over an ad maybe implying a threesome and it ends up she is only talking about her mother. So weird and wacky.

Also, not only do they have unusual mentions of names for people, also for objects. Wish I was Dum Dum Diddle, your darling fiddle. Yes, they even have names for violins !

Did I mention they're about to release their live from Wembley show this week on CD and three vinyl LP!?!?!?!

Also, Gracias Por La Musica is going to be released as a deluxe edition later this year with all their Spanish versions together in one place!!!

Also, Gracias Por La Musica is going to be released as a deluxe edition later this year with all their Spanish versions together in one place!!!

lol, it never ceases to amaze me how far Universal go in fleecing the loons.

Did I mention they're about to release their live from Wembley show this week on CD and three vinyl LP!?!?!?!

Well, now I know!

I've never noticed just how cool the Super Trouper album is. Sure there is MOR ear candy like the title track and The Piper but most of the tracks sound quite new wave-y, almost proto-electro. I wonder why they decided to put Agnetha in the background though; not that I'm complaining, I'm more of a Frida fan anyway.

I've never noticed just how cool the Super Trouper album is. Sure there is MOR ear candy like the title track and The Piper but most of the tracks sound quite new wave-y, almost proto-electro. I wonder why they decided to put Agnetha in the background though; not that I'm complaining, I'm more of a Frida fan anyway.

Super Trouper is a brilliant album. Agnetha still had the lead vocals in The Winner takes it all and Happy New Year but Frida was featured a lot as lead throughout the album. I feel they have always given both women the lead vocals on different songs on each album whilst other songs have them both singing the entire time. Another reason they were such a unique group. The song writing was brilliant and the girls harmonised like angels and also sounded beautiful on their own.

I don't think it was concious but you're right - there is a shift towards Frida's vocals on Super Trouper and The Visitors. They said they always decided who sang on a song based on whose voice fitted the song. Agnetha overshadows as she sang the main vocal of the some of the biggest songs, particularly The Winner Takes It All but Frida sang on a lot of mega hits too such as Super Trouper, Knowing Me, Knowing You, Name of the Game and Money, Money, Money.

Chiquitita was originally called 'In The Arms of Rosalita' and was sung by Frida but then they switched to Agnetha for the released version.

This was released today too:

I need to buy this lol

That song also did the same with an awkward name turning up in the song with the line " and your name is Harry" It just amuses me really that the lyrics are so lovely and have these sort of weird mentions of names but like you are saying, English was not their first language. Their lyrics are beautiful in general though.

I think that was the point though. It's like a reality check - the one who used to be 'the hero of her dreams' is actually isn't that interesting in real life, and there's nothing romantic about him or his job or his name.

I think that was the point though. It's like a reality check - the one who used to be 'the hero of her dreams' is actually isn't that interesting in real life, and there's nothing romantic about him or his job or his name.

You make a lot of sense. People do tend to look back at past romances and love with rose coloured glasses. The lyrics are so beautiful and descriptive though and always made me want to have a lovely romantic holiday in Paris.

Some other Abba songs with poignant beautiful lyrics are Slipping through my fingers and When all is said and done.

I like one song by Abba -- "Lay All Your Love on Me".

The rest, just no :scared:

LAYLOM is a song of life though. At least u have (some) good taste :lol::p

I like one song by Abba -- "Lay All Your Love on Me".

The rest, just no :scared:

:ohmy: Crystal Coffin, you don't know what you are missing out on.

LAYLOM is a song of life though. At least u have (some) good taste :lol::p

Narendra Sen, give Crystal Coffin some good examples of other great Abba masterpieces. He may listen to you. :laugh:

Does anyone think Like a Prayer sounds like SOS? A couple of sites mention it and I did hear the comparison before but only once years ago. :confused:

Maybe a little, more so in the structure of the song...but I suppose there are only so many chord progressions that popular music is going to use, so it's bound to all sound a bit similar in spots...

I'm sick in my bed, re-reading this thread and laughing my ass off at Elaine and jazzyjan's comments. You're too cute.

Awww get well soon! Nothing worse than being sick at Xmas.. I had a bad stomach myself. :zombie:

Awww get well soon! Nothing worse than being sick at Xmas.. I had a bad stomach myself. :zombie:

Thanks bae (: I've had a terrible week anyway but now that I'm off work for 2 weeks I'm happy, sick or not heh.