MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

Talking about great Abba songs, do other Abba fans here love That's me from the Arrival album ? I love it so much. I have always adored Our last Summer as well. There are so many songs that were not singles that I love. I could name so many. Will name one more - Under Attack.

It seems we all have the same opinion. They are my least favourite songs on the album as well. I don't mind Chiquitta but don't like I have a dream much at all.

They are completely out of place sound wise and content wise.

And yes, their albums are full of gems. Even if it's a flawed album, my fave is probably the self titled album. My mom was a fan and generally didn't buy too many albums so one of the few cassettes that remained in our household when I was a little kid in the 80s was her old "Greatest Hits" tape. Since it was a cassette and I was fascinated with music from a very young age, I learnt how to play it myself and I remember just being in awe of "S.O.S.", first track on the compilation.

As I grew older whenever we found s record store while shopping I would try and see if I could find any of their other releases. Not an easy task because they were old, out of print albums. But I did manage to track down Arrival, The Album, Super Trouper and The Singles. But then the 90s and the CD era came along and one lucky day I found most of their discography on CD in a store. As a teen with limited resources for import CDs I had to pick just one and it had to be "Abba": So many songs from that beloved Greatest Hits tape on it, many of them unavailable on "Gold" which I already had. And I loved it. Overplayed it and got me to buy all of the albums, one by one, in a matter of a few months. I'd say it's a good starting point for someone who wants to explore their discography beyond the hits.

I Have a Dream and Chiquitita kind of ruin Voulez Vous for me. I'd rather see the full length Summer Night City and Lovelight on the album and save those two as charity singles or whatever.

Personally, I can't stand Does your mother know. It just doesn't fit the album and It's one of the few songs of theirs that I can't listen to but I don't really like the songs where the boys sing. It's the girls voices that add the magic.

Did you know Chiquitita was originally called 'in the arms of Rosalita' sung by Frida? There's a clip on YouTube.

Talking about great Abba songs, do other Abba fans here love That's me from the Arrival album ? I love it so much. I have always adored Our last Summer as well. There are so many songs that were not singles that I love. I could name so many. Will name one more - Under Attack.

Great selections Jazzy!

It was the age of no regret

Did you know Chiquitita was originally called 'in the arms of Rosalita' sung by Frida? There's a clip on YouTube.

No!! I need to see that clip.

I like Chiquitita. It is true. It is a miss in the album but I like the song.

Great selections Jazzy!

It was the age of no regret

Qaz, if I ever come to Peru, I will have a Madonna/Abba listening party with you. :laugh: What are some of your favourites ? There are so many to choose from.

We would party to all our favorites songs. And that would be so much fun.

You are right. There are just so many beautiful songs. What comes to my mind right now are: SOS, Knowing Me Knowing you, Eagle, Our last summer, Slipping Through my fingers, Angel eyes, Two for the price of one, Lay all your love on me, Head over heels, When all is said and done.

But if you ask me for my all time fav are One of us, The day before you came and voulez vous.

Now the question is.. when are you coming to Peru?

We would party to all our favorites songs. And that would be so much fun.

You are right. There are just so many beautiful songs. What comes to my mind right now are: SOS, Knowing Me Knowing you, Eagle, Our last summer, Slipping Through my fingers, Angel eyes, Two for the price of one, Lay all your love on me, Head over heels, When all is said and done.

But if you ask me for my all time fav are One of us, The day before you came and voulez vous.

Now the question is.. when are you coming to Peru?

I love your choices so much. I also love Disillusion which is hardly known or thought about. I could keep naming them there is just so many.

Would love to come to Peru, still have to get over my fear of flying :nervous:

Now I remember you have fear of flying. You need to overcome that. You are missing a whole world outside Australia!

I dont know that song. I will look for it. In what album is that song?

Now I remember you have fear of flying. You need to overcome that. You are missing a whole world outside Australia!

I dont know that song. I will look for it. In what album is that song?

Ring Ring. Written by Agnetha. Great stuff.

They're not going to reform for Eurovision:(

Instead to mark 40th anniversary of their win, a fifty piece choir will perform.

I still think they might do something but they don't want all the pressure before the event so they've made up this story. The press would go wild!

I just bought "Arrival", Super Trooper" and "Voulez Vouz" and I never realised just how diverse their music was.

"Arrival" is my favorite.

Jan, my mum had the vinyl of "Dancing Queen" in the 70's and "That's Me" was the B-side. "The Piper" was also the B-side to "Super Trooper". They brought back so many memories when I heard them on the albums.

I agree with all of you about "I Have A Dream". I've never liked it either.

Are you guys serious?? I Have A Dream is awesome!!

I just bought "Arrival", Super Trooper" and "Voulez Vouz" and I never realised just how diverse their music was.

"Arrival" is my favorite.

Jan, my mum had the vinyl of "Dancing Queen" in the 70's and "That's Me" was the B-side. "The Piper" was also the B-side to "Super Trooper". They brought back so many memories when I heard them on the albums.

I agree with all of you about "I Have A Dream". I've never liked it either.

Crux, those albums you mentioned are all wonderful. Your mum had wonderful taste as well. Also, since you mentioned "The Piper" I have to tell you that for years I used to dream of a sexy piper type man. I had a fairy tale book with the most incredible illustrations and the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin had the most beautiful drawing of this gorgeous young man with long dark hair who was the Pied Piper. When I would listen to the Abba song, I would imagine this gorgeous guy come to life and how I would "dance beneath the moon for him". :lmao: I am quite nutty in how I imagine characters in novels and also images when I listen to songs.

Crux, we should have a night similar to the Dave a Debbie night and call it our Alive an Abba night. We should ask Barney to think up some ideas for it. :lol: All Abba fans at Madonnanation are invited.

IMO, I Have A Dream is not that bad. I, on the other hand, don't have much love for what seems to be their most popular/liked song, and that is Dancing Queen. I always skip it.

Does anybody here likes Arrival (the song)? Cause I do :rosey: Is that the only instrumental track of their discography?

[media[

[/media]

Narendra Sen, here is another one

I'm not really a fan, but "Lay All Your Love On Me" is one of my favourite songs of all time - easily top 3.

I'm not really a fan, but "Lay All Your Love On Me" is one of my favourite songs of all time - easily top 3.

^THIS.

When I started listening to ABBA this is one of the first songs that blew me away. I love it so much.

IMO, I Have A Dream is not that bad. I, on the other hand, don't have much love for what seems to be their most popular/liked song, and that is Dancing Queen. I always skip it.

Does anybody here likes Arrival (the song)? Cause I do :rosey: Is that the only instrumental track of their discography?

Same for me! I never got the hype for that song, for me it doesn't stand out when i listen to their whole discography. I also always skip it.

And yeah, Lay All Your Love On Me is an amazing gem :wow:

:ohmy::ohmy: Dancing Queen is the greatest dance song ever alongside Into the Groove.

It's OK, Narendra Sen and Madonnasuperfan, we all have different favs, just wanted to add some Abba dramatics to the thread. :laugh: Good that we all love different songs. I do love Dancing Queen though.

Lay your love on me is one of my favourites as well. Just wondering if you also like Under Attack as it reminds me a bit of Lay all your love on me.

Crux, those albums you mentioned are all wonderful. Your mum had wonderful taste as well. Also, since you mentioned "The Piper" I have to tell you that for years I used to dream of a sexy piper type man. I had a fairy tale book with the most incredible illustrations and the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin had the most beautiful drawing of this gorgeous young man with long dark hair who was the Pied Piper. When I would listen to the Abba song, I would imagine this gorgeous guy come to life and how I would "dance beneath the moon for him". :lmao: I am quite nutty in how I imagine characters in novels and also images when I listen to songs.

Crux, we should have a night similar to the Dave a Debbie night and call it our Alive an Abba night. We should ask Barney to think up some ideas for it. :lol: All Abba fans at Madonnanation are invited.

:lmao: At the thought of you cooing and dancing for the pied piper while he played with his pipe. :lmao:

I wouldn't say no to an Abba night, Jan. Does Barney like them? I don't recall him ever mentioning them.

:ohmy::ohmy: Dancing Queen is the greatest dance song ever alongside Into the Groove.

It's OK, Narendra Sen and Madonnasuperfan, we all have different favs, just wanted to add some Abba dramatics to the thread. :laugh: Good that we all love different songs. I do love Dancing Queen though.

Lay your love on me is one of my favourites as well. Just wondering if you also like Under Attack as it reminds me a bit of Lay all your love on me.

You're right jazzy, it would be boring if we all liked and disliked the exact same things :thumbsup:

And yeah i really like Under Attack. There's very few ABBA songs i don't like, they almost all have a magic touch to them.

The only songs I don't really like is "I Have A Dream" and "Eagle" . Maybe a few from their first two album's, but the rest are great. What do you guys think of "Hasta Manana"?

The only songs I don't really like is "I Have A Dream" and "Eagle" . Maybe a few from their first two album's, but the rest are great. What do you guys think of "Hasta Manana"?

Crux, Hasta Manana is a pretty and sweet song.

I love Eagle but I have a dream is not one of my favourites.

A question for my fellow Abba fans. I always think "the day before you came" is about someone remembering their life as being sort of boring and mundane before the love of their life showed up. Apparently others think that the "you" is the grim reaper and represents death. Any thoughts from the Abba fans here ?

Crux, Hasta Manana is a pretty and sweet song.

I love Eagle but I have a dream is not one of my favourites.

A question for my fellow Abba fans. I always think "the day before you came" is about someone remembering their life as being sort of boring and mundane before the love of their life showed up. Apparently others think that the "you" is the grim reaper and represents death. Any thoughts from the Abba fans here ?

It depends entirely on your own point of view and interpretation, but I've always assumed the same as you, Jan. It's a good song but not one of my favorites or one I play regularly.

I also thought it's about love, but I have to say, the song sounds kinda dark and creepy, almost depressing if you ask me. Although I like this twist (being about death) better than my original interpretation, I still think it might be about a beloved person. And the darker sound is used to highlight that state of boredom/depression/emptiness some single people feel (obviously, before finding that life-changing love), maybe?

It depends entirely on your own point of view and interpretation, but I've always assumed the same as you, Jan. It's a good song but not one of my favorites or one I play regularly.

I also thought it's about love, but I have to say, the song sounds kinda dark and creepy, almost depressing if you ask me. Although I like this twist (being about death) better than my original interpretation, I still think it might be about a beloved person. And the darker sound is used to highlight that state of boredom/depression/emptiness some single people feel (obviously, before finding that life-changing love), maybe?

Yes, I also think it has a dark sinister kind of sound about it but think it represents how she used to not really feel anything and just drifted through life in the same routine. It is a really unique song as it does not have a chorus but works beautifully.

TDBYC suggests she had a fleeting affair and is now going back to the mundanity of before.

We owned a double LP greatest hits when I was a kid that had Under Attack and The Day Before You Came on it. I used to ROCK OUT to Under Attack when I was, like, two. It was one of those long, low LP players. I'd hold onto the player, watch the record spinning round (the old Atlantic LP with the orange and green, separated with a white stripe), and shake my ass for, according to my mom, hours.

ABBA and Boney M. (Nightflight to Venus and Oceans of Fantasy LPs) were it for me when I was two.

There was a great article about ABBA on pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/features/poptimist/6632-poptimist-5/

Fave quote: "Here is the central ABBA theme: life is trivial and nothing happens, but the somethings that might happen are worse." Which is totally and completely Scandinavian (I'm half Swedish).

I also like how it talks about how "adult" ABBA were. I was thinking about "Lay All Your Love On Me", and it totally reads like it's coming from a woman in her, what, mid-30s. Party time is over. Mundane reality is the framework for the love story. Same with "The Day Before You Came".

I should really download some ABBA - I haven't had a real proper listen to them since I was a kid.

I like to think of TDBYC as a positive song. Going by the video, she's reminiscing of her mundane life before the man she meets on the train came into her life. Sometimes it's possible to over think things.

The story behind the song is sad though. It was the last one they ever recorded as a band and agnetha recorded it singing in the dark. The band said they knew it was the end and although they never announced a split, it was the end.